Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Battery charging

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Battery charging

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 05:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2253 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 1,819 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I use brake fluid to start my generator. I tried it yesterday right after the lawn tractor. It started without the brake fluid for the first time since I've had it.

EDIT: Make that brake cleaner, not brake fluid
I thought I was bad for not changing the oil in 14 years.
Old 04-22-24, 06:02 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB624
It seems that my 36v battery has only 2.75 volts from sitting all winter (my stupidity). Is there any way to bring it back. My charger doesn't touch it.
thanks for any help
Dave
You need a commercial charger like the Grin Satiator that will force it with a pulsating charge without reading the volts.

Sorry but the freebie chargers that comes included with ebikes won't do this for safety reasons. That way the chargers don't runaway, cause a short, then a fire, then a lawsuit.

Now I know why there are so many ebikes for sale that "needs a new battery".

I store all my ebike batteries in my basement during off-season which is marginally heated to about 60°F.

But to leave a naked battery in some unheated garage all winter, good luck with that.
Old 04-22-24, 06:20 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
Interesting that no one is really clamoring to move this to the e-bike forum. I think I saw one comment awhile back.
Old 04-22-24, 06:29 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Apparently, a "new" battery for my bike is $750-800? Ouch!
I'm wondering how many charge/discharge cycles you get out of that $800 battery. A quick Google search suggested 500-2000 cycles for e-bike batteries.

One nice thing about other kinds of batteries is that you can often shop around for attractively priced alternatives.
Old 04-22-24, 06:54 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 885 Posts
I'm wondering how many charge/discharge cycles you get out of that $800 battery. A quick Google search suggested 500-2000 cycles for e-bike batteries.

One nice thing about other kinds of batteries is that you can often shop around for attractively priced alternatives.
You'll notice my model is a 2019, so going on 5 years. Battery life is a looming concern and I'm looking for options BEFORE I need one.
I've only had it about 2 months and probably have about 70 miles on it due to weather.
It was bequeathed to me by my BFF in high school's widow.
It's a Godsend to me because my COPD has cut me back to 2 -3 miles every other day on my grocery getter. I can also ride in about 10 degree cooler temps now. It's kind of a wind chill factor thing. You want body heat or propulsion? Now, I might do 2-3 different errands in a day if it's warmish.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/explore-eplus-3--2019
Old 04-22-24, 08:26 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 699 Posts
Li-Ion cells do not like being over discharged. Below about 3V per cell, they are irreparably damaged.
Both their capacity and their internal resistance are degraded.

The cells in the OP’s pack are below 1V each cell. In the imortal words….. “this is a dead parrot”. 🦜

If you charge it for a year, on a windowsill, facing north, with magnets, under a scale model of an Egyptian pyramid, it will still be a dead parrot. 🦜
If this battery pack were a bicycle chain, it would be elongated (stretched) to about 10yards long.

I’m now going unsubscribe from this thread before the structure fire occurs. 🔥 🚒

Barry
Old 04-24-24, 12:09 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 348 Posts
I feel like there is something else going on. A bicycle battery should be able to hold a charge for a few months with no special attention.
Likely the onboard BMS has isolated the battery because it's dropped below its minimum voltage. That's why I suggested going into the battery pack and connecting directly to the cells - they may not be as dead as it seems, and only need some charge to bring them back to nominal voltage, when the BMS will be happy again. You can get an idea of what's going on by checking individual voltages - it might also be that the cells are good and the BMS board is toast.