Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 03-04-15, 06:45 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
people don't do that to me
The first chance I get to come to SoCal, I will avail myself to the services of a certain Homeric establishment on a Friday night. The next day, I will make my way down to the track, pin my ass on Quinn's bar, ride him to the rail, and trackstand. I will then proceed to tell him of the lovely dinner I had the night previous. After two minutes and fifty-nine seconds, I will roll ahead, trackstand again, and tell him about dessert.
Old 03-04-15, 07:47 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like that story!!
Old 03-04-15, 10:02 PM
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I only asked about etiquette.
Old 03-04-15, 11:35 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

But going back to real trackstanding business, I think that the ability is underrated. It seldom gets used, but it's a good tool to have. I've benefitted from the ability numerous times. Without a track nearby, I learned by finding progressive slopes where it was convenient to practice. I first started on a quiet side street using the slope provided by the crown of the road. First on the right side, then on the left side to mimic the track slope. I then went to getting myself sideways on sloping driveways. Ramps that lead into underground parking lots were next. Make sure that you can pull/skip your back wheel up the bank to get yourself pointing down the slope. You control your roll forward/back with the front wheel and back pressure on the left pedal. Turn your front wheel up the track and it will help you roll backwards you'll roll backwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1817Jxl1ve0

With the right bike/front wheel angle, you only need moderate back pressure to stay in one spot. You'll know you have the right balance when you're weight is on the back leg, but barely. You should feel as if you could hold it all day. You want your right leg forward as it will help you shoot down the bank when you accelerate on that first stroke. You'll see this set up in all the top sprinter's track stands. You'll also see the exact opposite when they do standing starts because left foot forward helps to keep you straight/up the track.
Old 03-04-15, 11:52 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

In this video, Botticher has the better track stand positioning and form. Forstemann is pointing up track and is loading his "go" leg. You want to load your back leg and not your front leg. You'll be able to respond/make a move much quicker and more forcefully in the Botticher stance compared to the Forstemann stance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D4UKEa7B8A
Old 03-05-15, 11:39 AM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatsYoCadence
Wow, I only asked about etiquette.
Mind if I ask- how much match sprinting have you done?
Old 03-05-15, 05:37 PM
SBUndefeated201

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does the Isis BB for the FSA Carbon crankset require a special tool for installation?
Old 03-05-15, 05:54 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Depends on which BB. This might help - Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Bottom Bracket Tool Selection
Old 03-05-15, 06:01 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by SBUndefeated201
Does the Isis BB for the FSA Carbon crankset require a special tool for installation?
Yes. The bigger question is, "Which one?"

If you have a part number from the BB, you can use that to determine which tool to buy.

Originally Posted by taras0000
+1
Old 03-05-15, 06:27 PM
SBUndefeated201

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Yes. The bigger question is, "Which one?"

If you have a part number from the BB, you can use that to determine which tool to buy.

+1
I should have added this: I will be taking it to a shop that works primarily on fixed and track bikes. Would it be a tool that most shops would have (the shop even carries the Crankset on their website) or is it an uncommon bb tool?
Old 03-05-15, 09:24 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

most likely
Old 03-05-15, 10:58 PM
nspace

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Received and installed my Campagnolo track cranks this evening. I used the existing crank bolts that I had as the BB or cranks do not come with them. I noticed that the dust covers will not install fully as they bottom out on the crank bolt. I am assuming I need a bolt with a shallower head. I also think that bolt is supposed to be a 15mm hex bolt. Can anyone recommend a crank bolt which has worked for them with these cranks? I saw someone selling Campagnolo 15mm bolts on ebay for $35 for a set, but their ought to be other options? Will a 14mm bolt work the same?
Old 03-05-15, 11:23 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by nspace
Received and installed my Campagnolo track cranks this evening. I used the existing crank bolts that I had as the BB or cranks do not come with them. I noticed that the dust covers will not install fully as they bottom out on the crank bolt. I am assuming I need a bolt with a shallower head. I also think that bolt is supposed to be a 15mm hex bolt. Can anyone recommend a crank bolt which has worked for them with these cranks? I saw someone selling Campagnolo 15mm bolts on ebay for $35 for a set, but their ought to be other options? Will a 14mm bolt work the same?
You might have to buy them. I'd ask over in Bike Mechanics. They may know of some reasonably priced crank arm bolts that will work.

The Campy bolts are stamped:

Old 03-06-15, 09:05 AM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Yeah I don't really care what the bolts are, as long as I can get the dust caps on. I've read with 15mm bolts it can be hard to get a socket in there without a thinner socket like a peanut butter wrench. I was wondering this morning if it might be worth trying a 14mm Sugino hex bolt instead.
Old 03-06-15, 11:13 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks! Yeah I don't really care what the bolts are, as long as I can get the dust caps on. I've read with 15mm bolts it can be hard to get a socket in there without a thinner socket like a peanut butter wrench. I was wondering this morning if it might be worth trying a 14mm Sugino hex bolt instead.
14 and 15 mm bolts have different thread dimensions so I do not recommend using the wrong size.

I would just forget about using dust caps (I don't use them on my track bike). Alternately take your existing bolts to a machinist and have them thin down the head (you could also machine down a socket at the same time). My bike has campy cranks but is at the velodrome so unable to check bolt size.
Old 03-06-15, 11:22 AM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
14 and 15 mm bolts have different thread dimensions so I do not recommend using the wrong size.

I would just forget about using dust caps (I don't use them on my track bike). Alternately take your existing bolts to a machinist and have them thin down the head (you could also machine down a socket at the same time). My bike has campy cranks but is at the velodrome so unable to check bolt size.
Thanks, that is good to know about the bolt! I just used the chrome plated bolts i had on my Miche cranks. I did learn that the cranks were actually supposed to come with the bolts. Wiggle says they will send me some. Until then I will just use what I have.

I did notice the crank arm clearances are a bit odd. The NDS crank arm is much closer than the DS. I will have to measure tonight. I put those bolts in there pretty tight and wouldn't feel comfortable putting them on any tighter. Not sure if its normal for the DS to have so much more clearance than the NDS?

BB/chainstays are symmetrical and I am using the matching Campagnolo pista BB with 111mm spindle.
Old 03-06-15, 11:31 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Bolts usually come with the BB in my experience.

But who uses dust caps?
Old 03-06-15, 11:39 AM
carleton
Elitist

nspace, are you sure that you are using a track bottom bracket and track crank arms?
Old 03-06-15, 11:50 AM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nspace, are you sure that you are using a track bottom bracket and track crank arms?
This is the BB I ordered. Cranks are brand new as well and yes track cranks.
wiggle.com | Campagnolo Record Pista Track Bottom Bracket | Bottom Brackets

Here is a photo.

Last edited by nspace; 03-06-15 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-06-15, 12:57 PM
carleton
Elitist

This is the BB I ordered. Cranks are brand new as well and yes track cranks.
wiggle.com | Campagnolo Record Pista Track Bottom Bracket | Bottom Brackets

Here is a photo.
Yeah, that looks like the right one. It's 111mm symmetrical.

When you mentioned that it looked like one crank arm was further from the frame than the other it made me wonder if you had an asymmetrical road BB.

It's weird that you bought them new and there were no crank fixing bolts. I've never bought Campy cranks new, so I'm not sure if they come with the kit or separately. But, they should come with them, you'd think.
Old 03-06-15, 01:20 PM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a bit of searching and apparently they were supposed to come with them. At least that is just a cosmetic issue at this point. The BB everyone says is symmetrical but Campagnolo lists it the pista BB as asymmetrical for some reason.

I'll try to get a photo tonight if I have time to pick-up my bike from the track. The frame definitely as asymmetrical chainstays as well. The clearance itself isn't an issue, I'd say I probably have maybe 3mm on the NDS, but on the NDS theres more than that, at least double. I firmed up those crank bolts more than I have with other square taper cranks (and I own quite a few), but don't want to try to force it any further. I put cranks on ungreased as specified by Campagnolo. You can still see there is some more taper/spindle in front of the crank arm, but that is pretty typical in my experience. I'll measure the chainline as well. I suppose none of this is really an issue if chainline is correct.
Old 03-06-15, 01:36 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

It's weird that you bought them new and there were no crank fixing bolts. I've never bought Campy cranks new, so I'm not sure if they come with the kit or separately. But, they should come with them, you'd think.
I think Campy packages crank bolts with their cranks, not their bottom brackets.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 03-06-15, 04:11 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe swap them out for ones that say Dura Ace on them?
Old 03-06-15, 04:45 PM
SBUndefeated201

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm always interested in seeing what other people use component-wise in their setups. What do olympic/national tend to use? I've tried looking online but haven't found certain components. I know Mavic iO + Comete is the standard for wheels, but what do most athletes use for cranks, handlebars (integrated bar and stem I suppose), pedals, saddles? I also assume parts and specs are fairly consistent across the board due to regulations.

Not that I am ever going to have a bike setup like this, but I am always curious when watching clips.
Old 03-06-15, 04:48 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by SBUndefeated201
I'm always interested in seeing what other people use component-wise in their setups. What do olympic/national tend to use? I've tried looking online but haven't found certain components. I know Mavic iO + Comete is the standard for wheels, but what do most athletes use for cranks, handlebars (integrated bar and stem I suppose), pedals, saddles? I also assume parts and specs are fairly consistent across the board due to regulations.

Not that I am ever going to have a bike setup like this, but I am always curious when watching clips.
Look at photos and you can see it all.

Also, specific questions get specific answers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.