Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-17, 03:23 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
45' on the rollers that included 5 x 1' OTS intervals. Finished up the day with 3 sets of weighted walking lounges. Quad cramps took me out of he 3rd set about halfway through.
Well, that's a predictable outcome of just lounging around.

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-03-17, 03:37 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Agreed. Lounges are brutal. I try not to recline too far.
Old 11-03-17, 04:40 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Better lounging than laddering.
Old 11-03-17, 05:39 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Damn auto correct! You guys make me feel like I'm back at work again! I am lounging tonight though.
Old 11-04-17, 05:19 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Medium Gear Time Trials:

Fixed Wheel

https://www.fixedwheel.co.uk/mgleague17.htm

Gotta love the Brits.
That's something I would do, 10 or 25 miles against the clock on a fixed gear limited to 72GI.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 11-04-17 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-05-17, 10:38 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

2 hour endurance ride. Well, there was a charity ride going on along the coast yesterday so my ride was more of a Fredapalooza. My main goal was not to crash and I said so many on your lefts that I had nightmares last night.

The real nightmare was when a fat rider with hairy legs scampered up a climb past me like I was standing still. In fairness, I was warming up but he still was very fast.

And of course, there were the traditional group rides that were on the same route as the charity ride with a larger group overtaking and mingling with the other riders. Now what could possibly go wrong?

However, yet another beautiful day riding along the coast.

Old 11-05-17, 11:50 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Medium Gear Time Trials:

Fixed Wheel

mgleague17.htm

Gotta love the Brits.
That's something I would do, 10 or 25 miles against the clock on a fixed gear limited to 72GI.

-Bandera
Aside from the basic concept, what is even more awesome is a guy named Wigglesworth won one of the races. I told Mrs. Ex that if she ever got assigned to London we would change our last name to Balderdash Farmington Smythe
Old 11-05-17, 12:42 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Aside from the basic concept, what is even more awesome is a guy named Wigglesworth won one of the races. I told Mrs. Ex that if she ever got assigned to London we would change our last name to Balderdash Farmington Smythe
A.W.E (Arthur Winston Edward) Balderdash-Farmington-Smythe, known to his public school chums as "Wonky", set his club's slowest 100 mile TT record from Saint-Fred on Avon to Morris Minor riding a fixed 47 GI in the time of 17:11:29.25.
A historically awful effort reflected in the Balderdash-Farmington-Smythe family motto: Perfecta Sunt Idiotae.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 11-06-17 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-05-17, 03:49 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Medium Gear Time Trials:

Fixed Wheel

mgleague17.htm

Gotta love the Brits.

-Bandera
I can't seem to figure the distances they are racing. It's probably something that I would join.
Old 11-05-17, 03:53 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stayed indoors today to avoid the storms even though it's early November and 66 degrees. Did 4 sets of my circuit of misery. First set completed as a WU then 3 continuous circuits for the workout. Not sure why, but I'm loving this workout.
Old 11-05-17, 06:07 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I can't seem to figure the distances they are racing. It's probably something that I would join.
AJ,

There are times posted for 10 and 25 miles, 24.19 for 10 miles and 54.08 for 25 is getting it done on a 72 GI FG.
Since I ride a 70 GI fixed on the road it does sound like fun, I'd show up if such an event was on the local calendar.

-Bandera
Old 11-05-17, 07:12 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I had the same problem trying to figure out the distances. I assume that they are ridden Merckx versus on a pursuit bike.
Old 11-05-17, 08:06 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by Hermes
I had the same problem trying to figure out the distances. I assume that they are ridden Merckx versus on a pursuit bike.
A rider is shown with what looks to me like a purpose built road FG TT machine w/ track ends, two brakes fitted, bullhorns & aero clip-ons, 4 spoke front, disc rear, aero helmet and skin suit.

Fixed Wheel

"I am a great fan of the medium gear event and have personal best's of 23-31 for 10, 34-19 for 15 and 58-51 for 25 all on 72" fixed." -Steve Morris

Untitled Document
Old 11-05-17, 08:08 PM
revchuck 
OMC

End of the week wrap-up...

Thursday: An hour at what was supposed to be recovery pace, ended up just barely under Z2.

Friday: 1h:30 at endurance pace with 10' cool down.

Saturday: This was supposed to be a century, but turned into a mostly self-inflicted cluster. The fast group took off fast and after the first seven miles at 24-25 mph I pulled off, knowing I wouldn't be able to maintain that pace for 100 miles. Nobody was calling out holes, and I hit one hard enough to lose a bottle. Once alone, I missed a turn and added five miles to the ride. A team on which I know several guys went by while I was filling my single bottle and I called out; they actually stopped and waited for me and I joined them. They were doing a shorter version of the ride and I missed the turnoff for the 100, so I ended up with 76. They weren't doing well with calling holes either. The guy in front of me hit a hole hard enough to lose a bottle, it took two bounces and came toward me and I wedged it between my left calf and rear bottle cage. I couldn't do that again in a million years!

Sunday: Another century, and this one went well, a night-and-day difference. The fast group took off at ~23 mph and I stayed with them. Everbody pulled, and most of us got a little hoarse yelling "Hole!". There were ten of us to start, but by mile 60 we were down to four including me and we held together until the end. Wind and fatigue brought our speed down a bit but we still finished in 4:43 rolling time. Not earth-shattering, but we were still the first ones in.

Totals for the week: CTL 64, ATL 119, TSS 717. Don't think I've ever had a -55 TSB before.

An hour at recovery pace tomorrow, rest day on Tuesday, intervals on Wednesday. Need to discuss Thursday's and Friday's scheduled workouts with Coach, don't want to get to Tucson with a load of fatigue in my legs. Saturday and Sunday I'll drive to Tucson, with openers on Sunday afternoon to get I-10 out of my legs. We still need to finalize the week before El Tour.

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-06-17, 07:55 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
AJ,

There are times posted for 10 and 25 miles, 24.19 for 10 miles and 54.08 for 25 is getting it done on a 72 GI FG.
Since I ride a 70 GI fixed on the road it does sound like fun, I'd show up if such an event was on the local calendar.

-Bandera
Since the races are fixed gear oriented my mind went to shorter distances with time in seconds and hundredths. I have a Redline SS cyclocross frame that I set up for my road fixie that is normally done with a 44/17 and 38mm tires. The gear inches are probably around 72". Works fine for me unless I join in on gravel rides or rail ballast bushwacking experiences at that time I feel a little weak.
Old 11-06-17, 12:53 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
My end of the week wrap up - stiff and sore.

I did go to the district Awards Banquet Saturday night. I was given an award for "Volunteer of the Year" for my work with the NCNCA Women facebook page, and I was privileged to introduce and then interview Barb as an NCNCA Legend, and then present her with her award. It was quite an evening, really fun, really sweet!
Old 11-07-17, 09:06 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Congrats on your award Sara. And thanks for all the work you do promoting racing.
Old 11-07-17, 09:18 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Yesterday was endurance work at San Diego Velodrome. Warmup, accelerations and jumps. Then 3x(4x(3laps higher power and two laps lower power)). 10 minutes RBI.

We drove down to the gym at sunset and we treated to an amazing sunset. Generally, we do not get this much color in the sunsets over the ocean. This shot is taken from La Jolla at Boomers beach.

Old 11-07-17, 10:28 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Hermes
Congrats on your award Sara. And thanks for all the work you do promoting racing.
@Hermes, thank you!

I'm looking forward (itching) to getting back down to VSC for some workouts. Hope to see you and MEA!
Old 11-07-17, 10:31 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Today, STR training. I am still working out how to approach the new exercises Coach has given me. The gym's equipment is different than the gear suggested in the videos he sent me, and I'm an inexperienced Gym Rat, so I don't know yet what the different approaches are. I'm going easy, too. As he said "Early is when we can get hurt". Ummm, NO. I will NOT get hurt. The goals? Stronger core and stronger legs. And don't hurt the back!
Old 11-07-17, 08:12 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats on the award Sara!

Tonight was our first total darkness group ride of the season. The recent time change shut the door on starting out with daylight. Eight riders showed up today. 30 miles with about 1,000' climbing on deserted country roads. Surprisingly we averaged 20.4 mph for the ride with a 41 degree start temp. All but one of the riders are 50+ age with three of us in the 60's. Post ride food and micro brews are the ticket!!!
Old 11-09-17, 10:36 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Thanks, AJ! The best moment of the night was introducing Barb, and then hearing her tell her story. So cool. She's an incredible athlete.

I did a 'cruiser ride' on the TT bike yesterday, which featured a long slow grade. My, am I stiff today! I'm noticing much more stiffness these days than I used to. Good thing I'm religious about rolling out and stretching, it would probably be worse. I've another longish ride on the docket for today, but the weather is iffy and the ride may get shortened. It might even turn into a twenty minute roller session.

I know I need to slow down, take some time to relax my body, but it's so hard to do. It takes a lot of time to rebuild from couch potato mode, and as I get older, it takes even more time. Coach and lots of other people I have enormous respect for have told me how much my body needs it and will appreciate it, and how refreshed I'll feel. I get that! It's just so hard to slow down. I have remind myself of something a "former racer" told me ages ago - "you've got to slow down to go fast".

Saturday, Hellyer - yay!
Old 11-09-17, 01:34 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

San Diego Track workout yesterday. Warmup, accelerations jumps plus 3 x 10 minute combination intervals. Fun day at the track and once again, I had the track to myself.
Old 11-10-17, 06:17 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Nice ride with BJ today. We went easy and were really chatty. Which you can do when you can breathe and the wind noise isn't so loud it drowns everything out. Jest sayin'!

Tomorrow, Hellyer. The Women Take Over Hellyer tomorrow. It's also a beginner session, and I volunteered to help out. I haven't been on the track in, three weeks? I'm excited! I did put a - 17 degree stem on my track bike, for the sprint bars, and I'm anxious to see how it feels.
Old 11-11-17, 03:47 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Quick wrap-up for the week...

Monday: 53' at recovery pace.
Tuesday: Rest day.
Wednesday: 2h:03 at endurance pace with 2x9' ramp-up intervals. Coach had told me 2-4 intervals and while I could have done three, the last would have been ugly. We spoke later that day and cut back on Friday's ride; via email, we had earlier switched the intervals for Wednesday to easier ones. I had apparently gone deeper on Sunday than we thought I had.
Thursday: 53' at recovery pace.
Friday: 1h:30 at endurance pace.

Today: I-10 intervals, Lake Charles to El Paso. Just miles and miles of Texas.

Demain, on roule!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.