Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-18, 01:19 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Hahaha, neon glow tires. Forgot I even took a picture of the new ride while still in the bike shop.

2+ years and 1500 miles later my 2016 Sirrus Pro Carbon developed a crack in the drive side chainstay. Hard to see as it was obscured by the chainrings.

Brought the frame back to the shop I bought it at and Specialized replaced it with a 2017 Pro Carbon frame.

The finish is a gloss black with lots of metal flake and matte black logos.

Overall the bike looks great. The crack looked to be a spot where the carbon material had a wavy appearance. Most likely a flawed frame. I did notice on the new frame the chainstay was noticeably larger in diameter.
Old 03-25-18, 07:59 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
2+ years and 1500 miles later my 2016 Sirrus Pro Carbon developed a crack in the drive side chainstay. Hard to see as it was obscured by the chainrings.

Brought the frame back to the shop I bought it at and Specialized replaced it with a 2017 Pro Carbon frame.

The finish is a gloss black with lots of metal flake and matte black logos.

Overall the bike looks great. The crack looked to be a spot where the carbon material had a wavy appearance. Most likely a flawed frame. I did notice on the new frame the chainstay was noticeably larger in diameter.
Interesting that they increased the chainstay diameter, sounds like you weren't the only person to run into that problem.

How heavy are you?

Specialized has had carbon Sirrus' for quite a while now, so it amazes me that after all this time they had to thicken up the chainstay.

Perhaps when the stopped using Roubaix frames and went with a dedicated "hybrid" frame, they didn't have all the data they needed.
Old 03-25-18, 10:50 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Interesting that they increased the chainstay diameter, sounds like you weren't the only person to run into that problem.

How heavy are you?

Specialized has had carbon Sirrus' for quite a while now, so it amazes me that after all this time they had to thicken up the chainstay.

Perhaps when the stopped using Roubaix frames and went with a dedicated "hybrid" frame, they didn't have all the data they needed.
I'm not a small guy that's for sure. I weighed anywhere between 260lbs to 205 lbs riding it. Lost a bunch of weight riding that thing.

The chainstay is much larger than my current 2018 Roubaix so it might be the fact 9 carbon of the Sirrus vs the fact 10 of the Roubaix.
Old 03-25-18, 11:06 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

I'm not a small guy that's for sure. I weighed anywhere between 260lbs to 205 lbs riding it. Lost a bunch of weight riding that thing.

The chainstay is much larger than my current 2018 Roubaix so it might be the fact 9 carbon of the Sirrus vs the fact 10 of the Roubaix.

I suspect they would make the Sirrus frame be more robust than a road bike frame, as people tend to expect hybrids to be capable of taking more punishment than a finely engineered road bike.

We see that in the spoke counts and wheel weights of the wheels that hybrids tend to come in, versus those on road bikes.
Old 03-26-18, 07:05 PM
desmodue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The owner of the LBS called to tell me the Sirrus was in, assembled and ready for pick up. There was more than a little anxiety gnawing at me as I drove to the bike shop. How stupid is it to buy something without test riding it or even seeing anything but a few photos? Surely it wouldn't completely suck...how bad could it be? What if the black/metallic rainbow flake bass boat paint job looks like it came off a cheesy bumper car carnival ride? Crap. What was I thinking?

A few tiny sleet drops fell on the windshield as I pulled into the parking lot. Out of the truck and a few quick steps and I'm at the door, it opens magically as I reach for the handle. A small boy stands there grinning at me as Dad follows with a shiny new sidewalk bike. I step aside as they pass and nod at Dad. The kid was jumping more than walking as they made a beeline to the grey minivan.

My eyes slowly adjusted to the dim lighting in the "front showroom" a mishmash of road bikes, cruisers and mountain bikes. Scanning the inventory as I walked the 30 feet to the "service department" I see a couple of aluminum Cannondale Quicks and 3 or 4 Trek FX style bikes. The dark grey FX6 S on the display stand catches my focus. It looks serious,an almost military fighter jet look I guess. I could have bought it I was thinking. Somehow it looks better now than it did when I counted out the benjimans to order the Sirrus Pro. What the hell was I thinking?

The first glimpse of the Sirrus was a glowing sidewall partially hidden by the open door to the office. "It's all ready to go" the mechanic says as he sees me walking towards the bike. Swinging the door shut, I see My Sirrus for the first time. She's Beeeuuuuteful!! Of course she is...what was I thinking?
Attachment 604805
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0698.JPG (463.9 KB, 1037 views)
Old 03-26-18, 07:17 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by desmodue
The owner of the LBS called to tell me the Sirrus was in, assembled and ready for pick up. There was more than a little anxiety gnawing at me as I drove to the bike shop. How stupid is it to buy something without test riding it or even seeing anything but a few photos? Surely it wouldn't completely suck...how bad could it be? What if the black/metallic rainbow flake bass boat paint job looks like it came off a cheesy bumper car carnival ride? Crap. What was I thinking?

A few tiny sleet drops fell on the windshield as I pulled into the parking lot. Out of the truck and a few quick steps and I'm at the door, it opens magically as I reach for the handle. A small boy stands there grinning at me as Dad follows with a shiny new sidewalk bike. I step aside as they pass and nod at Dad. The kid was jumping more than walking as they made a beeline to the grey minivan.

My eyes slowly adjusted to the dim lighting in the "front showroom" a mishmash of road bikes, cruisers and mountain bikes. Scanning the inventory as I walked the 30 feet to the "service department" I see a couple of aluminum Cannondale Quicks and 3 or 4 Trek FX style bikes. The dark grey FX6 S on the display stand catches my focus. It looks serious,an almost military fighter jet look I guess. I could have bought it I was thinking. Somehow it looks better now than it did when I counted out the benjimans to order the Sirrus Pro. What the hell was I thinking?

The first glimpse of the Sirrus was a glowing sidewall partially hidden by the open door to the office. "It's all ready to go" the mechanic says as he sees me walking towards the bike. Swinging the door shut, I see My Sirrus for the first time. She's Beeeuuuuteful!! Of course she is...what was I thinking?
Attachment 604805

God Damn, that is one sexy bike.
Old 03-26-18, 07:49 PM
Derekve

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Base, 2018 Jamis Renegade Expat

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attachment 604805
Great looking bike indeed!!
Old 03-26-18, 09:13 PM
milan4ever

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Attachment 604805
You have a way with words. Really enjoyed this 😊
Old 03-27-18, 09:05 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I think I officially hate you --- let us know what you think of that new headshock.

Damn, that's gorgeous - wonder what I would have to sell to go get one!
Old 03-28-18, 06:42 AM
desmodue

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys.

I will add comments as I learn and understand the new ride, as it stands my time on it has been limited by cold and rainy weather. I did get a couple of short rides in and so far am a bit disheartened. It feels slow, over weight and out-dated.

Oh wait, that's me. Nevermind.
Old 03-28-18, 09:13 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

lol
Old 03-29-18, 04:43 PM
ReclusiveOne

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Workcycles Kruisframe

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Sirrus.jpg

Here's mine. If I remember correctly I bought it in 2006, maybe 2005, not sure. I've added a a rack, Wald folding rear baskets, and trekking bars. I tried putting fenders on it twice but not sure what I was doing wrong but both times I couldn't get the fenders mounted in such a way as to clear both the frame and tires. Oh well.
Old 03-30-18, 06:21 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Originally Posted by ReclusiveOne
Attachment 605138

Here's mine. If I remember correctly I bought it in 2006, maybe 2005, not sure. I've added a a rack, Wald folding rear baskets, and trekking bars. I tried putting fenders on it twice but not sure what I was doing wrong but both times I couldn't get the fenders mounted in such a way as to clear both the frame and tires. Oh well.
You just need more time to fiddle with them! I put Planet Bike Hardcore on mine, and they fit and look great!
Old 03-30-18, 10:27 AM
ReclusiveOne

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Workcycles Kruisframe

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gah! The handlebar wraps in the above picture were put on just a couple weeks ago and this morning I decided to remind myself what fun it is to crash my bike. Now the wraps are frayed on the right from where they hit and dragged a second on the pavement. And it was a stupid mistake, went to shift hand positions and when I went to put my left hand on the bars I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and my hand slipped off the bars throwing me off balance and ultimately knocking the bike down before I could regain balance. Sure I got a scrapped up knee and elbow, but my new bar wraps!!!
Old 04-01-18, 01:45 PM
desmodue

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It's still cold (38°F) here in central Indiana, but the wind and rain has taken a break. I did manage to get a few butt break-in miles in today while waiting on family to arrive for Easter dinner. I'm not sure if the saddle and me are going to get along, but it has been a long time since I have spent time on a bike. Endurance is low, but you have to start somewhere.

After the short ride, I decided to peel the extraneous stickers (frame size, super duper reflective paint safety, the ugly chrome LBS sticker, Made in China, etc) from the bike, anything not clear-coated over was going bye-bye. That's when I realized that the serial number was just a sticker. Can't stamp a number on a composite. Oh well, it's not like it really matters, if it gets stolen chances of recovery are pretty slim. Looks like I got one of the first new frames built.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SN.jpg (256.9 KB, 925 views)
Old 04-01-18, 05:09 PM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
God Damn, that is one sexy bike.
It sure is! Enjoy it safely!
Best regards
Old 04-06-18, 11:25 PM
Trobak

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joined the forum today and I’m happy to introduce myself. Lifelong Alaskan with a history of non-technical and casual trail riding. Nowadays is to have fun with my 7 year-old daughter more than anything. But I want to start riding to work. Bought a road bike once and it scared the hell out of me so that didn’t last long. Anyway, I’m in Portland, OR for a work conference and I want to purchase a hybrid before I return north on Sunday where the options and prices have a laughable inverse relationship. My in-store and online (thanks everyone for this forum!) research lands me on the Trek FX2 or 3 or the Sirrus Sport. Budget is under $800. My riding will be on mostly paved roads with intermittent plow truck gravel-throw. An average of 8 miles per day, down our steep bluff on the way to work and then the slog back up at days’ end. The return is a significant extended incline so hill comfort and efficiency is a main consideration for me. Here in PDX today there is a 2017 Sirrus Sport for $750 out the door. My size is built and ready to go and the color very much to my liking. I’ve only window-shopped the Trek as the store was closed when I stopped by. I love the look of the Sirrus, less-so the Trek from what I could see online. Other than hill-handling of course is quality and value at their comparative price-points (I believe the Trek is a bit more but I also think it’s the 2018 model). Thoughts if you would please? I fly home tomorrow and need to make my move. Thanks all. Happy to be part of the group and have access to your wisdom.
Old 04-07-18, 11:54 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Trobak
Joined the forum today and I’m happy to introduce myself. Lifelong Alaskan with a history of non-technical and casual trail riding. Nowadays is to have fun with my 7 year-old daughter more than anything. But I want to start riding to work. Bought a road bike once and it scared the hell out of me so that didn’t last long. Anyway, I’m in Portland, OR for a work conference and I want to purchase a hybrid before I return north on Sunday where the options and prices have a laughable inverse relationship. My in-store and online (thanks everyone for this forum!) research lands me on the Trek FX2 or 3 or the Sirrus Sport. Budget is under $800. My riding will be on mostly paved roads with intermittent plow truck gravel-throw. An average of 8 miles per day, down our steep bluff on the way to work and then the slog back up at days’ end. The return is a significant extended incline so hill comfort and efficiency is a main consideration for me. Here in PDX today there is a 2017 Sirrus Sport for $750 out the door. My size is built and ready to go and the color very much to my liking. I’ve only window-shopped the Trek as the store was closed when I stopped by. I love the look of the Sirrus, less-so the Trek from what I could see online. Other than hill-handling of course is quality and value at their comparative price-points (I believe the Trek is a bit more but I also think it’s the 2018 model). Thoughts if you would please? I fly home tomorrow and need to make my move. Thanks all. Happy to be part of the group and have access to your wisdom.
I have the exact same Sirrus and I am very pleased with it. It will be fine for the type of riding you described. Components are good quality and should last a long time. At first I missed having a triple in front but the 2x9 drivetrain is suitable for most terrain. The 32 front 34 rear is low enough for almost any hill.
Old 04-12-18, 01:08 AM
Perrinsf

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweeet!

Attachment 604805
They make a damn nice bike. Congrats!
Old 04-14-18, 06:37 AM
zapata77

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight of stock sirrus stem

Hello, does anyone know the approximate weight (in grams) of a 2017 stock sirrus stem?
I want to change for a shorter one, but I would like to have an idea of the weight.
Thanks

//goo.gl/images/n64GCa
Old 04-14-18, 10:23 AM
desmodue

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zapata77
Hello, does anyone know the approximate weight (in grams) of a 2017 stock sirrus stem?
I want to change for a shorter one, but I would like to have an idea of the weight.
Thanks

//goo.gl/images/n64GCa
Weight Weenies
Old 04-16-18, 03:43 AM
zapata77

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately I did not find the information I was looking for at the indicated site. Thanks anyway!
Old 05-01-18, 12:03 AM
BikeMode

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Short bike run on a sunny Sunday!
Old 05-01-18, 06:46 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

i'm jealous!
Old 05-03-18, 01:02 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeMode

Short bike run on a sunny Sunday!
sweet!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.