Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

All-Rounder Gravel Bike ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-18, 11:27 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
In the Touring forum , I posted looking for one bicycle to do casual road touring, long distance road riding, and commuting .

One suggestion was " get a gravel bike that is lightweight and that has tubeless ready rims, hydraulic dics brakes, thru axles, and that can take wide tyres, and that can take a rack and fenders . "

So , I would appreciate any suggestions that meets that .

I prefer an upright riding position , but am open .

Thanks .
I have. Motobecane Omni Strada gravel bike Ultegra level. Has WTB mountain rims with 11speed road hubs and Ritchey seat post, handle bars etc. I know Motos get bad mouthed but I own several Motos with thousands of miles on all of them with zero problems. Yes basic maintenance repairs are made like any other bike and I have Cannondales and Specialized bikes in the stable and an old Gary Fisher. IMHO get the bike you like and ride it until it falls apart then upgrade
Old 04-05-18, 11:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I have. Motobecane Omni Strada gravel bike Ultegra level. Has WTB mountain rims with 11speed road hubs and Ritchey seat post, handle bars etc. I know Motos get bad mouthed but I own several Motos with thousands of miles on all of them with zero problems. Yes basic maintenance repairs are made like any other bike and I have Cannondales and Specialized bikes in the stable and an old Gary Fisher. IMHO get the bike you like and ride it until it falls apart then upgrade
I forgot the tires and wheels are tubeless ready.
Old 04-05-18, 11:46 PM
whiskyrider
Bootneck

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, 2 x Felts and soon a No22 Ti Great Divide Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m very much liking the Diamondback Haanjo EXP carbon. 650b, fork can mount Low rider rack, threaded BB, high spoke count, and 3 x 9 bulletproof drivechain. I know Diamondback back has less kudos as a brand but it does, on paper and the reviews I’ve scoured, seem to be ‘spot on’. If I can source , challenging as I live in Asia, I would put Gravel WTB rubber on it and it seems to be a ‘ does it all machine’. Anyone want to help me source into Singapore?
Old 04-06-18, 10:33 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I have been looking at the Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross.

Mounts for all your racks, good geometry, handbuilt wheels.

Monster Cross Bikes - Black Mountain Cycles

Waiting for the Disc version coming out mid-year. It will add a few dollars to the build, but I think it is worth it.
Old 04-06-18, 12:38 PM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I've been researching bikes a ton over the last few weeks and have begun to suffer from paralysis by analysis. I started out thinking I'd like to budget around $1K, then I drooled over $4K+ bikes because if I'm going to buy a new bike, go big, right? I lowered my expectations to around the $2K level, and finally started thinking maybe I really ought to just spend around $1K again. Anything much higher might be overkill for my use.

I've been on a 2006 Trek 7.1 FX for the last 12 years. I ride it approximately 500 miles per month about 6-7 months out of the year. I ride exclusively on the road and bike paths, but it has 35c tires with a little tread on them so if I have to go through grass or take a dirt road it's alright. I'd like the option to take dirt roads or hard trails more often but never really felt as stable as I do on asphalt. I've been wanting a road bike for a while to go faster but I don't think those really skinny tires would be the best for my size (6'-3" 240 lbs.). Also, the roads in Michigan are crap and I feel more confident with a bit wider tire anyway. This is why the gravel bikes seemed so intriguing to me once I learned of them. I like that I'd be able to have two sets of wheels/tires for what I want to do and have a bike thats probably sturdier than a strictly road bike. People say they're more comfortable for longer distances too. I'd probably ride more but I get uncomfortable on my current bike after about 2 hours or so.

I never really even considered steel because I'm afraid of rust and they seem heavy. I'm kind of OCD and it might drive me nuts worrying that moisture could be inside causing rust. However, I've seen some steel bikes like the Fuji Jari 2.1 that might work well for me.

I don't know how much the average person rides. I ride mine for exercise and solitude in the warm season, and am not sure if 500 miles per month is average or what. I just try to push hard, cover some distance, and would like to go faster if able. I'd love to explore more beyond the pavement and ride longer if able. Should I be setting my sights higher than bikes around $1K for what I do or do I need to get something "better"? Should I maybe start out around $1K and see how I like gravel bikes and plan for a better one in a year or two? All comments welcome. Let me know if mire information is needed to give good advice. Thanks!
Old 04-06-18, 06:40 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
In the Jari line I went to the 1.3 to get the tubeless wheels; $1500. I think it around 22 lbs.
Old 04-06-18, 07:34 PM
Derekve

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Base, 2018 Jamis Renegade Expat

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkbeast
I've been researching bikes a ton over the last few weeks and have begun to suffer from paralysis by analysis. I started out thinking I'd like to budget around $1K, then I drooled over $4K+ bikes because if I'm going to buy a new bike, go big, right? I lowered my expectations to around the $2K level, and finally started thinking maybe I really ought to just spend around $1K again. Anything much higher might be overkill for my use.

I've been on a 2006 Trek 7.1 FX for the last 12 years. I ride it approximately 500 miles per month about 6-7 months out of the year. I ride exclusively on the road and bike paths, but it has 35c tires with a little tread on them so if I have to go through grass or take a dirt road it's alright. I'd like the option to take dirt roads or hard trails more often but never really felt as stable as I do on asphalt. I've been wanting a road bike for a while to go faster but I don't think those really skinny tires would be the best for my size (6'-3" 240 lbs.). Also, the roads in Michigan are crap and I feel more confident with a bit wider tire anyway. This is why the gravel bikes seemed so intriguing to me once I learned of them. I like that I'd be able to have two sets of wheels/tires for what I want to do and have a bike thats probably sturdier than a strictly road bike. People say they're more comfortable for longer distances too. I'd probably ride more but I get uncomfortable on my current bike after about 2 hours or so.

I never really even considered steel because I'm afraid of rust and they seem heavy. I'm kind of OCD and it might drive me nuts worrying that moisture could be inside causing rust. However, I've seen some steel bikes like the Fuji Jari 2.1 that might work well for me.

I don't know how much the average person rides. I ride mine for exercise and solitude in the warm season, and am not sure if 500 miles per month is average or what. I just try to push hard, cover some distance, and would like to go faster if able. I'd love to explore more beyond the pavement and ride longer if able. Should I be setting my sights higher than bikes around $1K for what I do or do I need to get something "better"? Should I maybe start out around $1K and see how I like gravel bikes and plan for a better one in a year or two? All comments welcome. Let me know if mire information is needed to give good advice. Thanks!
Check out the Jamis Renegade series of bikes. I have the Expat and love it. It is a steel frame/carbon fork "adventure" bike. Personally, i wouldn't worry about rust if you take decent care of it.

I'm 6'3 190# and from Michigan as well. If you have any specific questions message me!
Old 04-06-18, 07:58 PM
volvostephen

Bikes: 2017 Breezer Radar Expert, 2016 Kona Wo, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer Single Speed

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
One suggestion was " get a gravel bike that is lightweight and that has tubeless ready rims, hydraulic dics brakes, thru axles, and that can take wide tyres, and that can take a rack and fenders .
They really said that in a touring forum? The typical response says to stick with the easiest to fix so cable brakes if you have to have disc and then just use standard quick release. Also there is usually a difference between durable (heavier) and lightweight.

I think Marin Four Corners fits nicely into a touring / gravel space but it isn't light, doesn't have hydraulics and no thru axle. I have a 2016 one.
Old 04-06-18, 10:51 PM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Derekve
Check out the Jamis Renegade series of bikes. I have the Expat and love it. It is a steel frame/carbon fork "adventure" bike. Personally, i wouldn't worry about rust if you take decent care of it.

I'm 6'3 190# and from Michigan as well. If you have any specific questions message me!
Thanks. Yes, I've also looked at the Renegades. Right now, based on LBS offerings the Jari 2.1 and Renegade Expat are on my short list. They're $200 apart and seem pretty close in components but there are small differences that stifle my decision. I rode the Jari 2.5 and I imagine the 2.1 will be similar but I have yet to ride the Renegade. When it's warmer I'll go to the Fuji shop and ride that 2.1 for a longer distance and then go to the Jamis shop and try a Renegade.

Does anyone see any glaring differences or deal breakers between the Expat and 2.1?
Old 04-07-18, 05:22 PM
Derekve

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Base, 2018 Jamis Renegade Expat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkbeast
Thanks. Yes, I've also looked at the Renegades. Right now, based on LBS offerings the Jari 2.1 and Renegade Expat are on my short list. They're $200 apart and seem pretty close in components but there are small differences that stifle my decision. I rode the Jari 2.5 and I imagine the 2.1 will be similar but I have yet to ride the Renegade. When it's warmer I'll go to the Fuji shop and ride that 2.1 for a longer distance and then go to the Jamis shop and try a Renegade.

Does anyone see any glaring differences or deal breakers between the Expat and 2.1?
The TRP Sprye brakes on the expat are well reviewed and are considered to be among the, if not the, best mechanical disc brakes on the market. Tektro gets mixed reviews, but may be just fine and not matter. The Expat is about 3 pounds lighter. That doesn't bother me, but to some it might.
Old 04-07-18, 06:55 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I've got TRP Spryes on my Defy. they work great, no complaints. My Jari has Trp Hy-Roads, which are hydraulic, but mechanical pull. Both are really good, the Hy-Roads are a little better than the Spyres.