Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New GT for my daughter, she doesn't like it.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-13-19, 02:00 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts

My 17 year old daughter wants a bike to take to college next year. She hasn't ridden since she was 14. I tried to talk her into a hybrid, but she insisted on a mountain bike. I bought this one for her last week, a GT Laguna Pro, womens specific, size small. She loved it at first, until she road my wife's Raleigh hybrid. Now she thinks it's too heavy and slow (it is).

Do you all think it would make a noticeable difference if I put skinnier, street tires on it?

I'm not really sure what bike it is, maybe a special run for Dick's Sporting Goods. It's $399 on their site, but not shown on the GT website. The only Laguna they show (non Pro) is a step-through. This one is equipped like the Aggressor Pro, so maybe just a womens colorway version of that bike?

Old 05-13-19, 02:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
Probably.

When I wanted a bike to get to, from and around campus I bought one with the money I earned from my summer job. Sure beat walking 10 miles each way up hill barefoot in the snow to Florida State's main campus.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-13-19, 02:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
How about a folding bike ? she can stow it in her dorm room and not br vandalized or stolen

like so many are on college campuses.. still needs a VERY good lock too ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-13-19 at 02:31 PM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 05-13-19, 02:41 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
For campus bikes, think Craigslist and $50. They get left outside, and anything better gets stolen or parts stolen from it.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 05-13-19, 03:05 PM
Chipbyrd 

Bikes: Giant Anyroad 1, Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don’t know what you want to spend, but a solid fork and some lighter tires would probably help. $200ish dollars.
Likes For Chipbyrd:
Old 05-13-19, 05:16 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Build her a beater. That's what I did for my daughter. Ugly on the outside but a good rider on the inside. College bikes will just get beat up and/or stolen. If my daughter's gets stolen, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 05-13-19, 05:28 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
You committed the primary mistake. When buying a bike for another person, Don't. Most folks like to make their own decisions.

Oh yeah, college bike = expect it to get stolen quickly if it has disc brakes, nice paint, fat tires.
Old 05-13-19, 05:56 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Lock the fork out and chuck on some city slicks. Will ride like a completely different bike. I did it on my 29er before i bought my CX
Likes For illdrag0n:
Old 05-13-19, 07:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Bikes generally will get stolen because people allow them to get stolen either through poor locking practices, poor locks or thinking they are safe. Bikes don't have to automatically get stolen if you invest in a good lock system and lock your bike up properly it is not as likely to get stolen. However beware not all locks are created equal, you can faggetabout companies that hide low quality behind thick locks and stereotypes or the fact their lock could pull an old Soviet tank or symbols from testing agencies they passed because they built their lock to pass that test and nothing more.

ABUS makes great locks and a big part of that is because they own their own factories and equipment but also because they use virgin steel that is specially heat treated and tempered to be strong and sturdy and handle different attacks. They aren't building locks to pass tests they are building locks to prevent theft and pass their own very high quality standards which also happen to pass and exceed the tests. Obviously yes given enough time or fancy equipment you can get through any lock at some point but the decent ABUS locks level 10 and above will be hard enough to get through that a thief will likely give up or not try in the first place.

Most of the bike theft stories I here at least once a week involve someone cutting a cheap lock, the bike not even being locked or "it was in a secure place in my building where you need retinal scanners, a special card and a 50 digit code but they just took it" or they left it outside a subway station all day or left it outside all night. Rarely do I hear it was locked up with a high quality lock, done properly and not left overnight and it still got stolen. Usually the folks with good locks and locking practices don't often if at all get bikes stolen. It is when we are careless that it happens.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-13-19, 08:25 PM
riverdrifter

Thanks everyone for the input! I want to make clear, this GT was the bike she wanted, I was just the guy paying for it, it was her choice. After taking a longer ride this weekend though, she decided she likes my wife's hybrid more, and my wife isn't interested in a trade.

Anyway, I just found out that her college has a bike rental program. $40 a semester and you get a rental bike, and they do the maintenance for you. I'll call tomorrow and get the details. Now I just gotta figure out a plan for this GT.

Maybe I'll strip off the decals and ride it myself. Actually I think the decals are all painted on the frame.

Likes For riverdrifter:
Old 05-14-19, 05:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
Maybe I'll strip off the decals and ride it myself. Actually I think the decals are all painted on the frame.
No need to do that. There is already a thread explaining that it's perfectly ok for a man to ride a WSD bike.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-14-19, 05:30 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Good that they have a rental program, at my daughters college all the bikes I see are basically beaters so I wouldn't spend much money on any bike that is going to sit out in the elements, get knocked around in the racks, and basically be a short point A to point B type of ride. My D has a nice Trek mountain bike that sits in our garage and now she rides a nice specialized road bike that is on loan to her from her sorority as she's on their bike team. I don't know that she will ever go back to riding her MT bike now. She uses the bus system as her primary means to get around campus.

When we did our college tours we paid attention to how students were getting around and asked a few. With the exception of Purdue and Michigan State, most other schools we toured the students all pretty much said it wasn't worth bringing a bike that walking or the bus was the best way. Purdue was the one school that had lot's of kids zipping around on either bikes or skateboards. My D is down at IU and the majority of the bike riders we see are the ones training for Little 500.

I wouldn't have any problem riding that bike myself as is. Who cares what others think about your ride as long as you enjoy it.
Likes For beachball42:
Old 05-14-19, 06:51 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
For campus bikes, think Craigslist and $50. They get left outside, and anything better gets stolen or parts stolen from it.
Sounds about how it was at my college way back in the early '90s (except no Craigslist). Thankfully, my small dorm had a basement with a whole lot of bike hooks we could hang our bikes from and keep them out of the elements. Really awesome.
Likes For guachi:
Old 05-14-19, 06:54 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Girls bikes are less stealable, the more girly the better, and never use a cable lock.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 05-14-19, 07:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
good luck w/ your & her quest. mine is graduating this weekend & never wanted her bike at school. too hilly & too wintry (VT) plus they had shuttle buses & roommates w cars ... I'm proud of your daughter for wanting a bike at school & I don't even know her!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-14-19, 08:06 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Nice enough bike. Switching to street tires will make a massive difference.

But as others have said, bringing a shiny new bike to a college campus is a perfect recipe for getting a bike stolen. Pull a beater out of a dumpster and change the tires and cables and give her that.

As for your plan to ride it yourself, are you a particularly short person? Because you will likely not be comfortable on a 'Women's Small' size bike if you are an average height (or above) male.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 05-14-19, 08:34 AM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
As for switching to street tires it will make a noticeable difference, but make sure of the width of the tire. Some MTB rims are made for wider tires and installing a tire narrower than the rims can make for a squeamish /unsafe ride.
Likes For TheRef:
Old 05-14-19, 08:51 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
They're almost certainly 17mm, and even if 19mm they'll be fine with a 1.5in tyre.

I wouldn't go down that route though. I first used 2.35in slicks on a basic MTB and love them, so there's no need to go crazy skinny when you're not trying to hit high speeds.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 05-14-19, 09:40 AM
riverdrifter

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Nice enough bike. Switching to street tires will make a massive difference.

But as others have said, bringing a shiny new bike to a college campus is a perfect recipe for getting a bike stolen. Pull a beater out of a dumpster and change the tires and cables and give her that.

As for your plan to ride it yourself, are you a particularly short person? Because you will likely not be comfortable on a 'Women's Small' size bike if you are an average height (or above) male.
The sizing seems strange. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. In the last photo I posted you can see the saddle raised all the way. As for reach, the bike feels great like that to me, but when I sit down, I want the saddle a bit higher for pedaling. I'd be comfortable riding it on trails. With the saddle at it's lowest position, it's 31" to the ground. The standover directly in front of the saddle is 27".

It probably is too big for my daughter. I guess it just comes down to geometry. My daughter is very comfortable in an upright riding position on my wife's size medium step-through hybrid. That bike has a recommended rider height of 5'5" - 5'7". The GT has a recommended height of 5'3" - 5'6". My daughter is 5'3".

My last mountain bike was an 18" 1999 Trek 6500 and I was very comfortable on it.

Last edited by riverdrifter; 05-14-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-15-19, 07:23 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Sounds to me like it is too small for you. 'Women's S' is probably close to ~14" or so, if you want to assign it a number. So likely 2 sizes smaller than that bike you used to have that fit well.

I could be wrong - everyone is different and every manufacturer sizes their bikes differently. But in general it is probably too small.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 05-15-19, 09:24 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
Anyway, I just found out that her college has a bike rental program. $40 a semester and you get a rental bike, and they do the maintenance for you. I'll call tomorrow and get the details.
This does sound like a potentially good idea - however, it would be worth checking the fine print. Particularly what you are on the hook for if the rental gets stolen, and compare that to the beater (or sequence thereof) idea.

I found a bike useful on campus but not always worth the bother vs walking to get to class, however a big win was being able to get to nearby places off campus like a grocery store with non-captive-market pricing or the mall that was a long wait for the shuttle bus or a long walk.

Will also add that I was on foot only freshman year, the bike was a big-box BSO rigid mountain thing purchased the 2nd spring that served well during the remainder of classes, 2 years storage during initial drive-to jobs and then 2-3 years of commuting use when I lived nearby and worked in a research lab on campus.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 05-16-19, 09:07 AM
riverdrifter

Craigslist is pretty much a black hole in the rural area where I live, and this is definitely not a hot bike market. I listed the GT, with a nice ad and lots of great photos, for $275, the best price online right now is $399. I also put it on Facebook Marketplace, and local Buy, Sell, Trade, and I have not got a single inquiry on any of them.
Old 06-08-19, 07:47 AM
riverdrifter

So, this bike has been listed for sale for 1 month now. I've had only 2 inquiries, both from cities over an hour away from me, but no one has come to look at it. Seems I may be stuck with it.

It does ride nice on the short around town trips I've taken. I've never had a bike with disk brakes, and these are shockingly precise and effective. The geometry is kind of weird, I guess like most modern MTBs. Slack headtube angle, sloping top tube, high bars. The ride is cushy for sure.

I still think something is weird with the sizing. It "feels bigger" than my wife's size medium Raleigh Hybrid, and bigger than my 51cm road bike; but it claims to be a womens size small (15") frame. It is a Dick's Sporting Goods exclusive and only comes in 2 sizes 15" and 17". With the seatpost to the max insert line and the bars adjusted just a touch forward, it fits me fine at 5'8".

I guess it's my grocery-getter now.
Old 06-08-19, 08:52 AM
riverdrifter

https://www.gtbicycles.com/zaf_en/aggressor-sport-1870

I just did some more looking on the GT website, and there is this similar bike, same colorway even. It doesn't say anything about it being a womens specific design, and they call it the Aggressor Sport. There's a few spec differences, mine is an 8 speed cassette not 7, and my fork is the XCT not the M330.

Last edited by riverdrifter; 06-08-19 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 06:58 PM
riverdrifter

Found out a bit more about the campus bike rental program today. It's $30 per semester. The bikes look nice, they are Specialized hybrids from the local LBS. You get a bike and a lock with your rental, and a front wire basket if you want. The campus rec department handles all the maintenance, including flats, at no cost to the renter. They also told me this campus has almost zero issues with bike theft. The student representative from rec told me she doesn't even lock her bike half the time, and almost every building has a rack with a pump station.
Likes For riverdrifter:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.