Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Arthritis Forcing Me Off the Bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 02:11 PM
BobL

Bikes: 2005 Airborne Titanium Upright; 1998 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's not what you're thinking. It's not my hips, knees, neck, shoulder, etc. It's my thumb. My stupid, stinkin' left thumb.

The problem is I can't change a flat. Well, I can usually make myself endure the pain, but then I can't use my hand for a week. If I had to change it twice, I may as well just cut that thumb off with a butter knife. It would hurt less.

A few weeks ago, I had one of those odd days where I had to fix 3 flats (my wife and I ride together). I was unable to put any weight on my hands, which almost kills riding right there. And I had to double up on my arthritis meds. I was off the bike for a week. In the intervening few months, my mileage has gone way down.

It's going to be a long time until I get this thing replaced (partly because there is no good treatment for basilar arthritis). And I understand it will be months after that before that hand is usable.

How can I fix a flat one handed? Are there solid innertubes to use until I get this thing fixed? I'd need them in a couple of sizes for both bikes.

BobL
Old 12-16-06, 02:47 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BobL
How can I fix a flat one handed? Are there solid innertubes to use until I get this thing fixed? I'd need them in a couple of sizes for both bikes.

BobL
Couple things can be done to help stop puncturing. First of all is to keep good condition tyres on the bike. New tyres have thicker rubber on them and I have noticed that I get More flats with Older tyres. Secondly there is a "Kevlar" belt that goes between the Tyre and the tube that helps to stop items penetrating past the tyre. And Thirdly although it is not a favourite of mine- Is "SLIME". This is a product you put into the tyre and contains latex or a similar product so that when you get a puncture, it will seal the hole and you can carry on riding. As I say- not my favourite as it does not always work.

Sorry about the problem and hope a "Simple" malady never affects me in the same way.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-16-06, 02:48 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
A few years ago a wheelchair wheel guy was all over the recumbent boards offering a high pressure foam filled tire for bikes. He had some difficulty getting pressures above 60-80# and the wheels were a bit heavy. Haven't seen them mentioned for some time. Another option would be either thorn proof or very heavy innertubes and tires such as Ultragatorskins with a tire liner glued inside. The triple combo would greatly reduce punctures without 'much' added weight. Slime works but a lot of people don't like it.
Kevlar beaded tires are generally easier to put on/off that wire bead tires.
Old 12-16-06, 03:01 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
My sympathies with you on the arthritis. I have a similar pain in my left thumb that makes me cringe, and goes along with the other arthritis in knees, ankles, etc.

However,....on the tire issue....I am a big believer in Marathon PLUS tires if there is a size that suits you, along with a heavy tube with plenty of SLIME inside. Yes they are heavy and very hard to put on, and as Stapfam says the SLIME can be a mess, but I've yet to have a puncture in some 2000 miles of riding with that combination. However, did get a leak at a Schrader valve stem. My next touring bike will have Presta stems.

Never give in to arthritis.
Old 12-16-06, 03:01 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Can't provide any advice on preventing flats but wish you luck with the thumb. I know that has to be extremely aggravating and frustrating.
Old 12-16-06, 03:45 PM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jppe
Can't provide any advice on preventing flats but wish you luck with the thumb. I know that has to be extremely aggravating and frustrating.
Ditto Here -

My G'ma would have asked - "Can you use it (your thumb) to 'thumb a ride' "? - course times have changed as no body in their right mind picks up, or takes a ride with, strangers anymore.

Good Luck finding a solution.
Old 12-16-06, 04:15 PM
BobL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Couple things can be done to help stop puncturing. First of all is to keep good condition tyres on the bike. New tyres have thicker rubber on them and I have noticed that I get More flats with Older tyres. Secondly there is a "Kevlar" belt that goes between the Tyre and the tube that helps to stop items penetrating past the tyre. And Thirdly although it is not a favourite of mine- Is "SLIME". This is a product you put into the tyre and contains latex or a similar product so that when you get a puncture, it will seal the hole and you can carry on riding. As I say- not my favourite as it does not always work.

Sorry about the problem and hope a "Simple" malady never affects me in the same way.
I always get kevlar belted tires - if they're available in my size. Today, I replaced a virtually new tire that my wife managed to slash up on something. There's not much selection in those 650 tires she uses, and these were without kevlar. I spent a long time trying to coax a new tire onto the rim using one hand, and when I did, it wouldn't hold air. Must have nicked it with the plastic tire "irons".

Hadn't thought of slime, though. I think I'll go to my LBS and ask them what to do.

Bob
Old 12-16-06, 04:17 PM
BobL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
A few years ago a wheelchair wheel guy was all over the recumbent boards offering a high pressure foam filled tire for bikes. He had some difficulty getting pressures above 60-80# and the wheels were a bit heavy. Haven't seen them mentioned for some time. Another option would be either thorn proof or very heavy innertubes and tires such as Ultragatorskins with a tire liner glued inside. The triple combo would greatly reduce punctures without 'much' added weight. Slime works but a lot of people don't like it.
Kevlar beaded tires are generally easier to put on/off that wire bead tires.
This is what I was thinking of. I know there used to be solid rubber "tubes" you could get for your tires. Yeah, they're heavy so no racers want them, and weight weenies won't get near them, but they sound like a good thing for this problem.

Stick in a solid rubber tire and forget flats until I get a new, working hand.

Bob
Old 12-16-06, 04:35 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
One of the first links that came up on a search for "flat proof tires"... nothing for 650's though.

https://www.airfreetires.com/

Also, until you are able to change on your own, find a cyclist or LBS willing to change your tires when needed for a couple of bucks.
Old 12-16-06, 04:44 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
You need armadillo tires with heavy tubes filled with slime, and should consider only riding on paved trails. One of our bikes has this setup and it hasn't had a flat in 3 years of regular riding. bk
Old 12-16-06, 05:09 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I can't say I recommend Slime, as it has never worked for me.

I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. https://www.schwalbetires.com/
I've gone four years and 10,000 flat-free miles on them. I consider them the only bike tires that are as good as car tires.

Marathon Plus with Mr. Tuffy is a great combination.

Paul
Old 12-16-06, 06:26 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For 26", 27" and 700.
https://www.nomorflats.com/

For 26", 27", and 28"
https://www.greentyre.com/

I too have arthritis in a thumb, my right thumb. It prevents me from doing several things. Changing flats is almost impossible for me. But my solution to that is to simply take the risk and carry a cell phone. Right now I'm not even carrying a spare tube. I probably should consider the no-mor-flats product.
Old 12-16-06, 06:38 PM
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used No Mor Flats for three years. They add weight but there are no flats, no tubes, no patch kits, no tire wrenches, no pumps, no pumping and no constantly combing the road for debris. They last longer than the tires and can be reused. Heat and cold do not affect their performance. I would have them on my bike now, and I did try, but they did not fit my rims. They are a bit difficult to install.
Old 12-16-06, 08:15 PM
Recycle

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BobL,
Sorry to hear about your arthritis acting up. I know what you mean about having a hard time changing a flat. I have rheumatoid arthritis. Some days it's fine, but other days, I can't even get the valve caps off without using a pair of pliers; and removing a tube is just beyond what my hands can do.

I've had good luck with slime filled tubes. I've gone 1300 miles without a flat, and a lot of that was on gravel roads or limestone screenings. But I know that luck can't last forever.

I'm going to take a look at those No Mor Flats to see if they'll work with my 700x40
Old 12-16-06, 08:43 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I have RA as well and when my tires wear out I'm going to have the LBS put on Schwalbe for me and I hope that will solve the problems of flats for awhile. Good luck with the arthritis I'd like to say it'll get better,but that's just wishful thinking.
Old 12-16-06, 10:24 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Yup, the airfree site was the one I was thinking of. The tires are inflated with foam to an equivalent pressure of 40 to 90 or 100#, and once made the foam is 'permanent' and the tire can't 'deflate'. The foam compresses a little but it is a different ride. Tire is used til the tread wears out and replaced.
More compliant than solid tires but not as much as air filled tires.
Old 12-16-06, 10:48 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I have foam rubber in my tractor tires. I got tired of the tires always being flat when I needed the tractor. My recollection is you must have new tubeless tires but maybe its different with bicycles. In any event, it wasn't cheap for the tractor tires, being much more expensive than the tires themselves by a factor of about 4.
Old 12-17-06, 06:50 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Not Slime.

Use

True Goo

Much better with road tires.
Old 12-17-06, 07:21 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
BobL, another thing....ride with someone! If you were riding with me for example and had that flat, it'd be a non-issue! I'd just fix it. Now if it was because you were too lazy to change it, it'd be a whole different story! I know how the ole' visit from Uncle Arthur goes though, so a decent ride partner would be a good idea!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 12-17-06, 07:31 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Specialized Armadillo tires and Slime in each tire will just about guarantee flat free rides.......
Old 12-17-06, 07:33 AM
bobkat
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with Armadillos or Schwalbe Marathon Plus's! Since I went that direction I've not had any flats at all in 4 - 5000 miles!
If it is pain at th base of the thumb, I've had it really bad and got it injected with steroids and Its been fine since.
Hate to keep bringing this up every time someone has something physical keeping them from riding comfortably but try a Bent. There's no weight on the hands and you'll never have to wear "boxing gloves" or worry about carpal tunnel or any kind of hand pain again. Thinking back, when my MP joint was so bad I couldn't do anything with it, real agaony, but riding the bike was about the only pain free thing I did with it. No weight on the hands at all.
Old 12-17-06, 11:10 AM
paul43
Old Fat Guy

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.2, Trek 4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bobkat--What is a "BENT" that you mentioned in your response??
Old 12-17-06, 11:53 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
BobL, another thing....ride with someone! If you were riding with me for example and had that flat, it'd be a non-issue! I'd just fix it. Now if it was because you were too lazy to change it, it'd be a whole different story! I know how the ole' visit from Uncle Arthur goes though, so a decent ride partner would be a good idea!
+1 to this as a possible solution. A few weeks ago, I saw two guys riding a tandem and the stoker was blind. No way he can be out there by himself, yet he's out there with a buddy. While you thumb is not the same as being blind it does make it near impossible to be totally self-sufficeint. So, I suspect if I were in the same position, I'd be looking for a reliable way to have someone else deal with the flats. It's just not something you can do right now. When my younger brother had back surgery and got a flat tire on the road with this pickup truck, he had go call for help, despite that fact that he likes doing things himself. Hope the solution to the thumb comes soon. Good luck.
Old 12-17-06, 02:36 PM
bobkat
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Bent is a recumbent bike. Not for everyone's taste , but as you are sitting (almost like pedalling a lawn chair) there is no weight on your hands so you don't get carpal tunnel syndrom or need padding (I always kid my wife about her boxing gloves) to keep the pressure off the carpal tunnel. I don't know if it would help your problem, (not 100% sure what basilar arthritis is, but suspect it is arthritis at the base of the thumb, unfortunately fairly common) but by eliminating pressure there it might. Borrow one from somone and try it out. I'm convinced a lot of biking preferences are "trial and error." If it feels good, do it!
Old 12-17-06, 07:50 PM
BobL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobkat
Go with Armadillos or Schwalbe Marathon Plus's! Since I went that direction I've not had any flats at all in 4 - 5000 miles!
If it is pain at th base of the thumb, I've had it really bad and got it injected with steroids and Its been fine since.
Hate to keep bringing this up every time someone has something physical keeping them from riding comfortably but try a Bent. There's no weight on the hands and you'll never have to wear "boxing gloves" or worry about carpal tunnel or any kind of hand pain again. Thinking back, when my MP joint was so bad I couldn't do anything with it, real agaony, but riding the bike was about the only pain free thing I did with it. No weight on the hands at all.
Yes, it's pain at the base of the thumb, but it's not from riding. Riding is usually one of the least painful things I do. I just can't generate any force with my left hand to hold the rim or tire "iron" when I go to change a flat or replace a tire. It's a jinx to say how long it has been since you had a flat, but it has been a while. My wife gets most of the problems.

My wife is my riding partner, and she is also unable to fix flats. She has arthritis in both hands, but has never been strong enough even when her hands were fine.

I have tried recumbents, although only on short test rides. I'll stick with my plush titanium ride until I can't ride it any more. For now, I think a set of those Schwalbe tires would fix me up. I just need to find a set for her 650C wheels.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.