Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Airfreetires.com Appears to be Gone

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 03:22 PM
BobL

Bikes: 2005 Airborne Titanium Upright; 1998 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A while back, I posted about how my arthritic left hand was keeping me from changing tires, and these guys were recommended. I sent them an email and got an answer the next day. Then I took some time, because they didn't have tires that would fit my wife (650c) and I wanted a solution I could order all at once.

About 2 weeks ago, I placed an online order for a pair of their "Daytona HPs". All indicators on the website were that it should ship within days. Last weekend, I sent them an email asking "what's up". No answer. Tried again two days later. No answer. Called and left a message. No answer.

So just a friendly heads up to my BF "brothers from another mother". Looks like they've gone OOB in the last month or so. I know the website is still up and looks normal, but not getting even a routine email answer is troubling. My credit card was charged when I placed the order, on 2/3. Looks like it's getting to be time to call them and get them involved.

Have fun out there,
BobL
Old 02-17-07, 03:45 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Plus. No flats in over 10,000 miles and all the benefits that go with pneumatic tires. If solid tires are so great, why don't cars use them? After all, a car tire is harder to change than a bike flat is to fix. Also, according to people on the icebike list who have tried them, the Airfree tires have no adhesion whatever in the wet.

Paul
Old 02-17-07, 05:30 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The No Mor Flats company also disappeared a month or so ago. Makes me wonder if they were the same people. www.nomorflats.com appears to be dead.

The No Mor Flats product was a stiff'ish foam "innertube" that filled up a tire in the way similar to how air fills a tire.

A car version of these tubes would cost a fortune and weigh a lot. Plus you'd have to make them in so many sizes. Wouldn't be surprised if they cost over $100 each in a car tire size.
Old 02-18-07, 07:29 AM
bobkat
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus's! Lighter and better INO.
Old 02-18-07, 09:42 PM
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are from the UK but they ship world wide.
https://www.greentyre.com/
Old 02-19-07, 05:52 PM
BobL

Bikes: 2005 Airborne Titanium Upright; 1998 Trek 5200

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just as a followup, I called my Visa company today and they're going to take it up with the seller. If nothing shows up, I get a refund; for the short term, I don't have to pay that amount.

The Schwalbe tires were my second choice, really. Looks like I should give them a try. Unfortunately, I'm probably not getting anything soon enough. I don't need both the Airfree Daytona HP's and the Schwalbe tires. Need to wait a few days until this settles out.

Thanks,
BobL
Old 02-19-07, 10:18 PM
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the site today.
https://www.airfreetires.com/
Old 08-18-08, 08:30 PM
BikePackin

Bikes: Bikes/related gear for bikepacking.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Tom Bombadil;3878481]The No Mor Flats company also disappeared a month or so ago. Makes me wonder if they were the same people. www.nomorflats.com appears to be dead.
QUOTE]
Tom - They may have been bought out by Bell.... I just saw the Bell product in Walmart two weeks ago next to the old box of what looked like the old/former, "No Mor Flats." Bell's product is entitled "No-Mor Flats Inner Tubes." I bought a pair to put on my trainer/tester bike for the experimentation sake of it and it accomplished, so far, what I wanted - a tougher rolling resistance for training....the added weight is a little helpful for the same purpose; however, the added rolling resistance is the most noticable charactaristic (26"x1.95" is what I am running and not problem, yet, with cornering < another concern I had/fyi).
Old 08-18-08, 08:37 PM
BikePackin

Bikes: Bikes/related gear for bikepacking.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scottogo
Got the site today.
https://www.airfreetires.com/
These don't look bad.... anyone tried the 26"ers ?