Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Lighting question - cordless drill battery

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 02:50 PM
hrtbreaker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm starting to put together plans for creating a DIY lighting system.

I was thinking of looking at a cordless drill battery to power the system.

Are these a good way to go?

How would you attach the wires to the battery? Use electrical tape to tape the bare end of wire to the metal contacts of the battery?

Any better systems?

I don't remember junior high school shop class very well. What are the calculations required to determine if a battery has enough volts/amps, etc to power a light?

Thanks for the assistance!
Old 03-20-07, 03:28 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hrtbreaker
Use electrical tape to tape the bare end of wire to the metal contacts of the battery?
Um... no.

I would either forget the DIY route - or find someone with some electrical knowledge to help you out (in person).
Old 03-20-07, 03:33 PM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would start with a cordless drill, take the guts out, and mount a bulb in the end where the chuck goes.

Most drills these days are 18V... you will probably want 12V for bulb compatibility.

You want it to remain compatible with its charger, see...
Old 03-20-07, 03:49 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would start with a cordless drill, take the guts out, and mount a bulb in the end where the chuck goes.
Or you could leave the drill intact, and connect a drill bit to an unlaced dynamo hub, and use that to power your lights...
Old 03-20-07, 04:31 PM
Phantoj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better, I have a flashlight that runs off the drill battery... came with my ryobi kit.

So just lash it to the bars, no mods needed.
Old 03-20-07, 04:37 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by hrtbreaker
I'm starting to put together plans for creating a DIY lighting system.

I was thinking of looking at a cordless drill battery to power the system.

Are these a good way to go?

How would you attach the wires to the battery? Use electrical tape to tape the bare end of wire to the metal contacts of the battery?

Any better systems?

I don't remember junior high school shop class very well. What are the calculations required to determine if a battery has enough volts/amps, etc to power a light?

Thanks for the assistance!
The jokers have had at you...replace the chuck with a light - classic ... but seriously, a cordless drill battery is probably not the best way to go. You could use a 12v one to run a 12v light but the 18v would probably be too high voltage. Go look at the Total Geekiness sticky. There's lots of information there. Then ask your question.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-20-07, 05:34 PM
Phantoj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was googling for 18v ryobi light to show my flashlight... look at this:

https://www.instructables.com/id/EGIJ2D3E6NET9K545H/

!!

there ya go!
Old 03-21-07, 06:21 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The one Phantoj indicates (on the instructables site) is basically what I built and ran with for the first year or so (until I bought my HID from batteryspace.com). It costs about $10, works well, no problems. Running a 12V MR16 on 18V would probably not be good for the light. 14.4v is good though; you get brighter light at a slight cost in bulb life (though I still haven't burned out my first 12V light after a year of 12v running on a cheap SLA battery and a month on a 14.4V NiMH pack).

You could run it at 18V, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear you were blowing bulbs every couple of weeks.

I'd be very tempted to use drill batteries these days, because there's a harbor freight store near where I live, and they often have 14.4v drills with batteries for $15 on sale sometimes, and replacement batteries for $10. I don't know how many mAh they are, but I have one of their 18V drills and it lasts OK, I put in a whole room full of drywall screws on one charge last winter.
Old 03-21-07, 08:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
The one Phantoj indicates (on the instructables site) is basically what I built and ran with for the first year or so (until I bought my HID from batteryspace.com). It costs about $10, works well, no problems. Running a 12V MR16 on 18V would probably not be good for the light. 14.4v is good though; you get brighter light at a slight cost in bulb life (though I still haven't burned out my first 12V light after a year of 12v running on a cheap SLA battery and a month on a 14.4V NiMH pack).

You could run it at 18V, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear you were blowing bulbs every couple of weeks.

I'd be very tempted to use drill batteries these days, because there's a harbor freight store near where I live, and they often have 14.4v drills with batteries for $15 on sale sometimes, and replacement batteries for $10. I don't know how many mAh they are, but I have one of their 18V drills and it lasts OK, I put in a whole room full of drywall screws on one charge last winter.
You probably won't have to worry about 14.4 V and halogens. I've been running 6 V MR-11 overvolted to 7.2v rc car batteries for several years and 12 V MR-11 overvolted to 14.4 for a few years and I blew out the first bulb I've ever blown this winter. The MR bulbs are very tough I'm not sure how tough they are for use with an 18V battery, however.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-21-07, 09:17 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'd actually go to https://www.batteryspace.com/ and get a battery pack from them.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 03-21-07, 11:39 AM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The DEVIL ownz jOOOOOO !!!

Old 03-21-07, 12:37 PM
Phantoj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
I'd actually go to https://www.batteryspace.com/ and get a battery pack from them.
You'll also need a charger... the batteryspace charger is good... but more $$ to consider.

I like the tool battery pack idea; they are cheap and common... dunno on the capacity.
Old 03-21-07, 01:41 PM
KeatonR

Bikes: Gunnar Hyper XF, Jamis Dragon Race, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
Better, I have a flashlight that runs off the drill battery... came with my ryobi kit.

So just lash it to the bars, no mods needed.
I have a flashlight that runs off of my 12v Dewalt drill batteries. I actually use the flashlight much more than the drill, and it's the best light I've ever owned. Super powerful. It would make an outstanding bike light, if you could conveniently attach it.

See here:
https://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0070582.html
Old 03-21-07, 03:27 PM
Bikehead
The good looking one

Bikes: gary fisher, Schwinn Woodland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KeatonR
I have a flashlight that runs off of my 12v Dewalt drill batteries. I actually use the flashlight much more than the drill, and it's the best light I've ever owned. Super powerful. It would make an outstanding bike light, if you could conveniently attach it.

See here:
https://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0070582.html

You could use two of the conduit clips. Turn them so the holes, where it connects
to the wall are together. use a small screw to fasten them. Than use one clip part
around handlebars, and the other end around the flashight. maybe use a wing nut
on the flashlight for quick connect. Balance the light in the clip, it will be heavy one
end, because of battery. Or you could, if you wanted to cut the light up. You could
cut it just, behine the head section, behine the switch, fabercate a bracket, to hold it
to your handlebars. Run some wire, I usally use wire, from a cig lighter ext. cord. put
the battery in your rear bag,and run the wire from light head to battery.
There are a lot of ways to do it. Good luck.
Old 03-21-07, 06:53 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well if your going to go do something like that then why not get one of those 2 million candlewatt rechargeable lights from an auto parts store or Wallyworld and strap that to your handlebars? That would surely get the attention of motorists.
Old 03-21-07, 07:17 PM
OhiOH
But I'm saving $ on gas!

Bikes: LeMond Victoire (pure fun), Trek 1200 (commuter), Trek 930 MTB (winter commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
u r on te right track

I’ve been using a dyi system for 3+ years. I started out with 14+ volts of AAs. Then 2 winters ago I switched to my Makita 14.4v 2.6 AH drill battery. I fastened + and – wires to the plastic covers that come with it using pop rivets (you could use screws/nuts). The battery fits in a water bottle cage without any other fastening mechanism. It will run a 15w halogen 2+ hours or a 3 amp LED 5+. Not to mention it is one heck of a drill when i need it.