Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have Dahon hub sizing?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-04, 11:52 PM
brajdicm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know the distance between the rear dropout on a Dahon Speed 8? The front hub is 74mm, I believe. Wondering if the rear hub over-the nut distance is a custom size also. I am plannning to purchase a Speed 8 and happen to have a SRAM Dual Drive hub (135mm) and was wondering if it would fit.

Thanks
mb
Old 11-15-04, 09:00 AM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brajdicm
Does anyone know the distance between the rear dropout on a Dahon Speed 8? The front hub is 74mm, I believe. Wondering if the rear hub over-the nut distance is a custom size also. I am plannning to purchase a Speed 8 and happen to have a SRAM Dual Drive hub (135mm) and was wondering if it would fit.

Thanks
mb
Please check the Dahon site . Dahon tech should have that information.
Old 11-15-04, 10:59 PM
brajdicm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the recomendation, however I have called Dahon directly, spoke to a techician and recieved rather evasive answers. The tech would not disclose the rear dropout spacing, suggested I purchase a Speed TR instead if I wanted Dualdrive. The tech said that SRAM produces a Dualdrive specially sized OLN, just for Dahon. I find this hard to believe since the re-engineering of the hub for one frame producer would be cost prohibitive and without much benefit.
I looked in on and called the LBS's in my area and can only find Boardwalks with Sturmey 3 speeds.

Anyone out there willing to slide a ruler between the spokes and measure the drops on the rear stays of a 2004 Speed 8 and share the measurement? Inches or mm are fine with me.

Thanks you for your consideration.
mb
Old 11-16-04, 07:47 AM
folder dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi MB,

the spacing is 130mm. you should be able to squeeze that hub in there since it's a steel frame.
Old 11-16-04, 08:16 AM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought tyhey would be more responssive than that .I hadn't realized.
Old 11-16-04, 09:10 PM
brajdicm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by folder dude
Hi MB,

the spacing is 130mm. you should be able to squeeze that hub in there since it's a steel frame.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping for at least 130mm, the stays look are a bit short for a coldset!

Regards,
mb
Old 11-16-04, 09:22 PM
brajdicm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by james Haury
I thought tyhey would be more responssive than that .I hadn't realized.
No offence taken. After thinking about it, Dahon only werehouses in Duarte, Ca., manufactures in China. The staff here in the U.S. may rarely see any of the bikes, just shipping containers filled with medium sized carboard boxes for picked up by UPS. Just the realities of globalization.
mb
Old 11-16-04, 10:27 PM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
disagree somewhat....
the boss here in the US in Duarte is in the bike bizz longer than me ( and thats a LOOOONG time )
the other guys are also pretty smart about bikes in general and Dahons in particular...

however, there is always one large sword hanging overhead, if you get very technical with consumers who want t change things around on your bikes. Its called product liability and believe me folks, that some lawyers have told us over the years to shut up and listen . but not open your own mouth if you get a call from somebody who wants to switch something around on a bike.

Its tragic, I know, I meanwhile go the route, that I say ... If it would be my personal bike than I would try this ...I will however never say. go ahead change this or that ...

Maybe I am wrong, but I see the guys as very knowledgeable ....

Just call them again, ask for Pete and say Thorsten send you to ask that question...

brakemeister
Old 11-17-04, 08:27 PM
brajdicm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brakemeister

Thanks for the referral. I see your point about the product liablity issues. The counsel at my work would give similar advice.
mb