Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

2018 Specialized Diverge vs Sequoia

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2018 Specialized Diverge vs Sequoia

Old 08-09-17, 10:17 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
I had a chance to try out the Sequoia Elite and Expert, both in 56 size. Both bikes were set up different, with the Elite feeling stretched out and the Expert feeling short/upright. I liked the latter, and I chalk up the different stack/reach due to a flipped stem.

For me, I'd probably be more inclined to buy the Sequoia due to it being able to run 45c tires. I'll be riding all season so I shouldn't have issues running big studded tires while still having decent clearance.
Old 08-14-17, 04:54 AM
ATPAH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarKris
I had a chance to try out the Sequoia Elite and Expert, both in 56 size. Both bikes were set up different, with the Elite feeling stretched out and the Expert feeling short/upright. I liked the latter, and I chalk up the different stack/reach due to a flipped stem.

For me, I'd probably be more inclined to buy the Sequoia due to it being able to run 45c tires. I'll be riding all season so I shouldn't have issues running big studded tires while still having decent clearance.
Are you sure you don't have that backwards? The Expert has a CGR seatpost with a 25mm setback, whereas the Elite does not have a setback seatpost, so they would be expected to fit differently, just opposite to the way that you described.

Last edited by ATPAH; 08-14-17 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Edited, as I got this backwards.
Old 08-14-17, 07:21 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Originally Posted by ATPAH
Are you sure you don't have that backwards? The Expert has a CGR seatpost with a 25mm setback, whereas the Elite does not have a setback seatpost, so they would be expected to fit differently, just opposite to the way that you described.
I'm sure. It was because the stem on the Elite was flipped to -7 degrees and the Expert was +7. Also the saddle could have been in a more forward position but who knows.

On another note I kinda want to try a 58 Sequoia just for the 46cm bars. My current bike has 46cm Cowbell bars and I like those a lot
Old 08-14-17, 08:44 AM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Specialized told me their standard alloy seatpost has 20mm offset, so the difference with the CGR should be only 5mm.
Old 08-14-17, 10:52 AM
DarKris

So a quick update: I had a chance to try a 58cm Sequoia, though it was the base model, and it also had the stem in the +7 degree stem position. I can confidently say that bike fit me quite a bit better than the 56. I don't know the exact standover height, but I'd say It was good enough for me with the tires it had to be able to stand at a stop comfortably.

I'm now considering whether I want the Elite model, or if I should get the base model and upgrade to some better components. I'm thinking about running a 2x SRAM hydro groupset as I liked the shifting of the Expert model which also had SRAM shifters. I think either way, unless I have the ability to try the RLT 9, I'm pretty confident in picking up a Sequoia (once I have money).
Old 08-14-17, 01:08 PM
Ryder1

Bikes: Evil Following MB, D'back Haanjo, Kona Unit SS

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
get the base model and upgrade to some better components.

I'd go for the Sequoia Elite due to color-matched carbon fork, great unique color, 105, hydraulics. Black is fine, but that Sea Foam thing on the Elite is a real sweetener IMO, especially since it highlights the steel tubing (black mutes it). Happy shopping!
Old 08-14-17, 02:42 PM
DarKris

Originally Posted by Ryder1
I'd go for the Sequoia Elite due to color-matched carbon fork, great unique color, 105, hydraulics. Black is fine, but that Sea Foam thing on the Elite is a real sweetener IMO, especially since it highlights the steel tubing (black mutes it). Happy shopping!
Thought about it, but the color seems a bit too much for my liking, especially along with the skin-wall tires. I found a picture of the 2018 Sequoia Elite and it looks more like a Tan/OD Green so I might wait for that instead.

47c65c0e2186e05cba4af064f2318397.jpg
Old 08-14-17, 05:02 PM
ATPAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The color is alright, but those heavy wheels need to go. I like 1x setups, but the Elite with a 105 kit and hydraulic brakes is a better deal than the base model, given the cost of upgrading to a SRAM 1x setup. I'd be scrapping the lugless tires, too, so skinwall is a non-issue for me, but YMMV.
Old 08-14-17, 10:01 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Thought about it, but the color seems a bit too much for my liking, especially along with the skin-wall tires. I found a picture of the 2018 Sequoia Elite and it looks more like a Tan/OD Green so I might wait for that instead.

Attachment 576182
Saw one of these the other day when test riding a Roubaix. It is good looking,
Old 08-15-17, 06:28 AM
DarKris

Originally Posted by ATPAH
but those heavy wheels need to go.
I've seen that complaint a lot. If I had to guess my current wheels are about 1/1.14kgs front/rear. My tires are probably ~150g lighter than the Sawtooth tires but they are 27.5x1.75 so they have less roll-over.

If I ever got into racing I'd switch the wheels, but I think they'd do just fine.
Old 08-15-17, 03:23 PM
sgtrobo

Bikes: Cutthroat, Scalpel, Roubaix, Sequoia, SuperX, Diverge

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i got rid of the boat anchor wheelset as soon as I got the Sequoia
Old 08-15-17, 03:24 PM
DarKris

Originally Posted by sgtrobo
i got rid of the boat anchor wheelset as soon as I got the Sequoia
Did you have a chance to weight them when you switched them out?
Old 08-15-17, 05:20 PM
sgtrobo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you have a chance to weight them when you switched them out?
no, but LBS did. Something on the order of 2 kilos. Ridiculously heavy, although I think they are expected to be a touring wheelset, as opposed to a "fun" wheelset, if that makes any sense
Old 08-15-17, 06:19 PM
DarKris

no, but LBS did. Something on the order of 2 kilos.
Ok. I was curious because I have a 650b wheelset on my bike and it weighs about 1/1.2kg front/rear. I weigh ~350lb/159kgs so the weight of the wheels for me is negligible only if it is sturdy enough to handle my weight.
Old 08-15-17, 06:24 PM
sgtrobo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok. I was curious because I have a 650b wheelset on my bike and it weighs about 1/1.2kg front/rear. I weigh ~350lb/159kgs so the weight of the wheels for me is negligible only if it is sturdy enough to handle my weight.
ah, well i'm inclined to believe the entire purpose of the wheelset is to be a heavy duty weight transporter, so...
Old 08-16-17, 04:32 AM
ATPAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no, but LBS did. Something on the order of 2 kilos. Ridiculously heavy, although I think they are expected to be a touring wheelset, as opposed to a "fun" wheelset, if that makes any sense
There are plenty of 2kg wheelsets in the world. These were almost 3kg with rotors and cassette, which weigh less than a half kg.
Old 08-19-17, 07:26 PM
ATPAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got out on the Diverge Comp and Sequoia Expert back-to-back today, using the Diverge wheelset in each bike. The Sequoia definitely felt better with the lighter wheels and tires, but for a short test ride, the Diverge was way more fun. Quick to accelerate and nimble as all heck. Not sure that amounts too that much in an extended ride, but it's a comfortable ride, too. The Future Shock is the real deal. I took it over some lumpy ground (cutting across tire ruts in a dirt cross road) on a downhill, and it felt surprisingly smooth and much better than the Sequoia.

Last edited by ATPAH; 08-19-17 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 07:52 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Boehmer
There are some comparisons between the new Diverge and Sequoia sprinkled on other forums, but would be interested to lay out opinions here, particularly from owners of either or from those who have ridden either/both.

Looking for an all-arounder/pavement/gravel/multi-surface bike for the Bay Area (~60/40 road/gravel). My LBS has a Sequoia Elite on the floor, which I've ridden, and am torn between taking it home or waiting for delivery of the 2018 Diverge Sport (carbon w/ Tiagra). Love the versatility of the Sequoia and came into this search believing I wanted steel. Like the ride, tire clearance, and fit is fine, though I'd prefer a bit more stack for this type of bike (Diverge). Seems like it would make a great everything bike. Primary knock on it is the weight - I'm no weight weenie, but was surprised how heavy it is, and fear that I may quickly get sick of pushing it up the hills of Marin.

Some key questions: How's Sequoia on road? gravel? smooth single track? How disappointed are owners in the weight after riding for a bit? How does the Diverge fare on the same gravel? Is the Sequoia "twitchy" due to the high bb? Does the lower bottom bracket add significant stability to the diverge? Is the bottom bracket too low for gravel/fire roads/moderate single track? Does the tire clearance difference matter (recommended max 45 vs 42). If you aren't bikepacking/touring, is there any real reason to get the Sequoia over the new Diverge, given the wider tire clearance on the new Diverge?

Sequoia: Pros - steel, durable, classic looking, no gimmicky future shock, slightly better tire clearance, higher bottom bracket may be better off-pavement, smooth ride, better spec (but this is not that important to me at this stage), and it's ready to take home today. Cons - higher bottom bracket may reduce descending stability, heavy, would prefer slightly more stack

Diverge: Pros - carbon, lighter, better on pavement in theory, future shock helps on gravel (maybe?), lower bottom bracket for stability, fit appears a bit better on paper. Cons - might prefer steel for gravel/off road, worse off pavement in theory, future shock might be gimmicky and short-lived (and it's ugly), less tire clearance, worse spec but upgrade worthy frame down the road, not in stock and don't yet have an estimated ship date on the carbon tiagra version.

AWOL = Bikepacking/heavy touring/cyclecamping

Sequoia = All rounder/light touring/commuting/trails/day rides

Diverge = Gravel roads/fireroads/fast road rides

What bike in the Specialized lineup you're looking for depends on your current and future needs and where and how you intend ride the bike.
Old 08-28-17, 12:54 PM
xraydog

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Been riding a Sequoia Elite since January. Currently have about 1400miles on it. After about 1,000miles I noticed cracks in the rear rim around the spoke nipples. Specialized replaced the original rims (Hayfield?) with Axix Elite. Kept the same 42mm sawtooth tires. The bike feels lighter, although I never actually weighed it before or after the new wheels.

Anyone running thinner tires on their Sequoia? I'm happy with the 42mm sawtooth's for the majority of my rides. I have a been doing some more road riding and have a 100mile ride coming up soon. I was considering getting an extra set of wheels/tires for road. Do you think there would be much difference running 28mm vs 42mm for street riding (ie. not racing).
Old 10-12-17, 03:28 PM
sgtrobo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well, just took delivery of my 2018 Specialized Diverge, so after a few weeks of riding I'll be able to compare them since I also have a Sequoia. Looking forward to the comparison
Old 08-15-18, 12:47 AM
sworksdude

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, just took delivery of my 2018 Specialized Diverge, so after a few weeks of riding I'll be able to compare them since I also have a Sequoia. Looking forward to the comparison
So, sgtrobo, how do they compare?
Old 08-15-18, 02:41 PM
sgtrobo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
short version:

The Sequoia is a steel, somewhat-ruggedized cyclocross/touring/gravel bike that can handle really big tires (700x1.8 with room for mud)
The Diverge is a Roubaix with big tires, a stiffer shock, and a ludicrously low bottom bracket

The Sequoia feels like an off-road bike due to its geometry and bigger tires. It handles like one.
The Diverge feels more...elegant off-road. It is also incredibly good at gravel descents (as long as the gravel/terrain isn't too gnarly). The low bottom bracket can be a bit irritating on gnarly terrain, but on basic and especially on reasonably (semi)maintained gravel roads, the Diverge really flies.

I recently did a 206-mile road ride using Roubaix Pro 32c tires, and the Diverge was ideal for it. I've done 100-mile gravel rides and the Diverge did great.
If I wanted to go ripping across some nastier terrain, however, I'd choose the Sequoia 10 times out of 10.

A bit of a note, the Sequoia has a much "racier" riding position, more akin to a CX bike. The Diverge is very upright, and for those who like the 'racier' riding position of, for example, a CruX or a Tarmac, you might be disappointed. I don't like that riding position so I was quite happy.
I am selling my Sequoia, but only because it's a size 54 and not a size 56 (Which is what I need)
Old 08-15-18, 03:28 PM
Richard8655

Bikes: 2007 & 2008 Specialized Tricross Comp

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’d go Diverge. Weight matters more and more as I get older, and I’d rather spend more time cycling than calling it a day from pushing steel. I do like the Zertz shock absorbing inserts on my Tricross Comp, and would be surprised and disappointed if Future Shock didn’t provide similar benefits.

Last edited by Richard8655; 08-15-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 11:48 PM
sworksdude

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
short version:
The Sequoia feels like an off-road bike due to its geometry and bigger tires. It handles like one.
The Diverge feels more...elegant off-road. It is also incredibly good at gravel descents (as long as the gravel/terrain isn't too gnarly). The low bottom bracket can be a bit irritating on gnarly terrain, but on basic and especially on reasonably (semi)maintained gravel roads, the Diverge really flies.
Thank you for the good info. I'm trying to decide between the two and this is helpful.
My riding is going to be various flavors of gravel, not gnarly single track. More John Wayne Trail and double track. Not Duthie or Swan Creek.
I'm leaning Diverge. Gonna talk to Tory very soon.
Old 08-16-18, 05:58 AM
sgtrobo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sworksdude
Thank you for the good info. I'm trying to decide between the two and this is helpful.
My riding is going to be various flavors of gravel, not gnarly single track. More John Wayne Trail and double track. Not Duthie or Swan Creek.
I'm leaning Diverge. Gonna talk to Tory very soon.
smart move. The new 2019s are out. I have the Expert from 2018, but the 2019 Expert supposedly has the C38 wheelset. If I was looking to buy for something like John Wayne trail, I might lean toward Diverge although if you get out toward Cle Elum the gravel gets really thick and deep and the Sequoia's notably larger tires help.
If I was looking to go Capitol Forest logging roads, I'd consider the Sequoia instead.
If you want to go with fenders I'd also go Sequoia because you can barely manage fenders on 38c tires with the Diverge, and the toe overlap is tremendous. You go 38s on the Sequoia with fenders and there is room to spare

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.