Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Why should I buy a Niner RLT Steel vs Raleigh Tamland 1?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-17, 03:36 PM
Donsell

Bikes: Jamis Renegade Exploit, Scott Sportster 55

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had kind of already chosen to purchase a Niner RLT Steel with a 105 groupset and expected to pay at least $2500 for it. My Niner LBS is putting options together for me. I'm riding the Niner Monday to see if I should order the 56cm or the 59cm.

But I recently found I could get a Raleigh Tamland 1 with a 105 group for $1265. Which is $1140 for the bike and I think I'll pay the small, local Raleigh shop the $110 they charge to build any bike, even though I wouldn't have to.

Geometry is similar, but I think the Tamland's shorter reach will fit me better.

The Niner uses 853 Steel, the Tamland uses 631. But, as I understand it, the 853 is stiffer which isn't really what I'm looking for.

The downside to the Tamland is I can't find one to ride before I order. I'd have to go by the geometry chart to get an estimation of how it'd fit. I'm sure I'd get the 58cm frame.

But it's a huge price difference. I'm not so sure about the wheels on the Tamland, but I could get a set of really nice wheels and still come way under the price of the Niner.

Any guidance on what I should do?
Old 07-29-17, 03:40 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
$1200+ difference? I would buy the Raleigh all day long. 853 is nice, I had an 853 LeMond, but it's not $1200 nice.
Old 07-29-17, 03:47 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
The Tamland 1 comes with mech disc brakes....the Niner probably hydraulic. That is one reason.

What wheels is the Niner being spec'd with? The Raleigh's are no-name.

What is the tire clearance on the Raleigh?

The Niner has full rack mounts front and back, which makes it more adaptable. And 3rd waterbottle boss and Bento Box mounts ..the Raleigh looks to not have any rack mounts up front.

All around the Niner is a more adaptable frameset to start with...whether that matters to the tune of $1200 is up to you.
Old 07-29-17, 06:25 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I like the Raleigh's.But I also own two and I prefer the 2x11,BB and the Lifetime warranty vs. 5 for starts.

Here is A article on the Tamland. Amazon had some good deals on A few Tamland's lately.Prices under 1K for A few sizes.

Raleigh Tamland Two Reviewed
Old 07-29-17, 09:01 PM
Donsell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
I like the Raleigh's.But I also own two and I prefer the 2x11,BB and the Lifetime warranty vs. 5 for starts.

Here is A article on the Tamland. Amazon had some good deals on A few Tamland's lately.Prices under 1K for A few sizes.

I would build the Niner with a 2x11 501 groupset, but the rest of your points are apt. Niner's warranty is ambiguous. One way page they say they warrant all of their products for 5 years, but the FAQ says non-carbon frames are warranted for only 2. I'll get clarification on that when I talk to the Niner dealer on Monday.

I just wish I could find a Tamland to ride before ordering.
Old 07-30-17, 08:33 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Donsell
I had kind of already chosen to purchase a Niner RLT Steel with a 105 groupset and expected to pay at least $2500 for it. My Niner LBS is putting options together for me. I'm riding the Niner Monday to see if I should order the 56cm or the 59cm.

But I recently found I could get a Raleigh Tamland 1 with a 105 group for $1265. Which is $1140 for the bike and I think I'll pay the small, local Raleigh shop the $110 they charge to build any bike, even though I wouldn't have to.

Geometry is similar, but I think the Tamland's shorter reach will fit me better.

The Niner uses 853 Steel, the Tamland uses 631. But, as I understand it, the 853 is stiffer which isn't really what I'm looking for.

The downside to the Tamland is I can't find one to ride before I order. I'd have to go by the geometry chart to get an estimation of how it'd fit. I'm sure I'd get the 58cm frame.

But it's a huge price difference. I'm not so sure about the wheels on the Tamland, but I could get a set of really nice wheels and still come way under the price of the Niner.

Any guidance on what I should do?
How tall are you? Where are you in Nebraska exactly?

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
The Tamland 1 comes with mech disc brakes....the Niner probably hydraulic. That is one reason.

What wheels is the Niner being spec'd with? The Raleigh's are no-name.

What is the tire clearance on the Raleigh?

The Niner has full rack mounts front and back, which makes it more adaptable. And 3rd waterbottle boss and Bento Box mounts ..the Raleigh looks to not have any rack mounts up front.

All around the Niner is a more adaptable frameset to start with...whether that matters to the tune of $1200 is up to you.
Tamland tire clearance is at least 43mm with some room, 45mm with a little less room.
Old 07-30-17, 11:30 AM
Donsell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
How tall are you? Where are you in Nebraska exactly?

Tamland tire clearance is at least 43mm with some room, 45mm with a little less room.
I'm just under 6 foot and in Lincoln.
Old 07-30-17, 02:34 PM
shoota 

I'm just under 6 foot and in Lincoln.
Me too and I got a 56cm. If you wanna come over to Carroll IA you can test ride mine
Old 07-30-17, 08:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
TRP Spyre brakes are really nice. Ive set up a few bikes with them for friends and they are easy to set and easy to use. Better design than many other mechanical disc brakes ive seen. No, they aren't hydraulic, but they also aren't anything close to something to sulk about.

Quality steel tubing, quality shifting, good brakes...tough to cough up so much more. The wheelset difference would be interesting to know- weight difference specifically.
Old 07-31-17, 06:52 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
TRP Spyre brakes are really nice. Ive set up a few bikes with them for friends and they are easy to set and easy to use. Better design than many other mechanical disc brakes ive seen. No, they aren't hydraulic, but they also aren't anything close to something to sulk about.

Quality steel tubing, quality shifting, good brakes...tough to cough up so much more. The wheelset difference would be interesting to know- weight difference specifically.
The tamland’s wheels weigh ~2100g. They are solid but they aren’t light.
Old 07-31-17, 07:21 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven

Well, this might be the answer to his question. Pretty succinct summary by Guitar Ted:

Beyond the gravel the Tamland still shines as a commuter, a light touring rig, and could be the only road going bike you’d ever need.

The bottom line though is this- The Tamland is the standard by which gravel bike specific design will be judged going forward. It is hands down the best handling bike on gravel I’ve ridden to date.
Old 07-31-17, 07:52 AM
Donsell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tamland’s wheels weigh ~2100g. They are solid but they aren’t light.
The wheels are my biggest concern. But for the price difference, I could buy a nicer set of wheels and use these as a backup.
Old 07-31-17, 07:53 AM
Donsell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Well, this might be the answer to his question. Pretty succinct summary by Guitar Ted:
Yeah, reviews are good for the Tamland. I just need to feel comfortable ordering a bike I haven't ridden.
Old 07-31-17, 08:41 AM
shoota 

Me too and I got a 56cm. If you wanna come over to Carroll IA you can test ride mine
Yeah, reviews are good for the Tamland. I just need to feel comfortable ordering a bike I haven't ridden.
Offer stands.
Old 07-31-17, 08:47 AM
shoota 

The wheels are my biggest concern. But for the price difference, I could buy a nicer set of wheels and use these as a backup.
That's exactly what I did. Got a set of American Classic MTB Races.
Old 07-31-17, 09:58 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58

The bottom line though is this- The Tamland is the standard by which gravel bike specific design will be judged going forward. It is hands down the best handling bike on gravel I’ve ridden to date.

I'm sure the Tamland is a nice bike and a great value and I've no idea who Guitar Ted is but there are some very well designed and fine handling gravel bikes out there.

"Hands down the best" is a bit of drama.

-Tim-
Old 07-31-17, 10:40 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm sure the Tamland is a nice bike and a great value and I've no idea who Guitar Ted is but there are some very well designed and fine handling gravel bikes out there.

-Tim-
He wrote that a number of years ago and there weren't nearly as many options then. But yeah one man's ideal geometry isn't the ideal geo for everybody. The Tamland geo is actually a little more aggressive than a lot of gravel bikes.
Old 07-31-17, 11:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

-Tim-
GT is a really knowledgeable mechanic and blogger. He hosts gravel races and rides and does a lot of equipment and component testing for reviews.

As for the comment that you feel is drama, when taken in full context, it really doesnt seem drama to me. He is saying that at the point of writing, its the best handling bike he has ridden on gravel. That sure doesnt seem dramatic to me. I can say with certainty that to day, my current gravel bike is the best handling bike ive ever ridden on gravel. Not drama, just formed opinion based on experiences.

Please note that he does not claim the Tamland to hands down be the best gravel bike- he simply states its the best handling bike HE has ridden up to that point. Hardly a lofty claim or drama.

Hope this helps clear up some confusion and perhaps you will see GT differently and mosey over to his site for some review reading sometime.
Old 07-31-17, 11:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

That's exactly what I did. Got a set of American Classic MTB Races.
$750 to drop 1lb6oz. Interesting. Thats a lot of weight to drop with just 1 component swap. Rotational weight savings too.
Old 07-31-17, 12:11 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
$750 to drop 1lb6oz. Interesting. Thats a lot of weight to drop with just 1 component swap. Rotational weight savings too.
Yep. Not sure if it was worth it since I haven't ridden the stock set but at least I feel better lol.
Old 07-31-17, 01:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
I think the Tamland has a threaded bottom bracket, as opposed to a press fit on the niner. PF seems to be nearly unavoidable on carbon bikes but there is no reason to settle for one on a steel bike. Price for the niner is very close to current sale price for the Lynskey GR250. Duh.... Both of the Tamland models seem great value with the Raleigh corporate price.
Old 07-31-17, 02:08 PM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just FYI, Guitar Ted says he helped design the Tamland, so he is probably not entirely objective.
Old 07-31-17, 03:16 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard
Just FYI, Guitar Ted says he helped design the Tamland, so he is probably not entirely objective.
As always, follow the money trail.
Old 07-31-17, 03:50 PM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 16 Posts
did you even read the review?

he's extremely up front about his role with the Tamland...
Old 07-31-17, 03:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Ha, yup, getting rich off the Tamland. Nailed it.***

He has stated he gave input, its no secret to uncover. And considering that, then his comment about comfort would be even more accurate and the claimed drama would be non-existant. Yup- a person who gave input on a bike's design finds it to be the most comfortable bike on gravel to date...not really overstated. Hardly drama.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.