Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Castelli: Absurd Sizing and Inconsistent Quality

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 01:08 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Rapha, Assos and 7Mesh XL bibs all fit me fine. Castelli has to be sized way up and 2XL Sorpasso Wind bib tights fit OK.

2XL Nano Flex 2 bib knickers are absurdly small however, smashing my genitals and digging into my shoulders. I'm not fat but the 3XL Nano Flex knickers fit nicely. I understand needing to size up but 3XL? Really?

The problem is that the 2XL made in Romania are objectively better made than the 3XL which are made in China. Mesh bib fabric on the Romanian made product is noticeably softer and the stitching on the Chinese made product is downright poor quality.

This isn't about products made in China but about a company like Castelli which claims to be on the cutting edge of high-end gear. Given the price I simply expect better than this.

Romanian made on top, Chinese made on bottom...

Chinese on the left, Romanian on the right...

Lower quality materials, rediculous sizing and inconsistent manufacturing all point to a company more interested in cutting cost than living up to their marketing claims.

Back they go.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-28-17 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-28-17, 01:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
Point taken. I bought a Castelli jacket and a Castelli cap last year, and they have worked out better than expectations. I don't mind the sizing problem, because I'm thin, but I sympathize with those for whom it's a problem. The quality control problem looks real. I guess I got lucky. I was thinking of buying Castelli bib shorts, but now I'll think twice.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-28-17, 01:23 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I have some Castelli Bib Shorts in my normal size (medium) and they are a little more snug than other brands but comfortable. Not sure where they were made.

Sugoi on the other hand was way too small. I definitely need a full size larger for their stuff.

If I'm buying online, I usually scan reviews to see what people say about sizing. If something is out of the ordinary, someone will usually mention it.

When I was riding motorcycles, I found that European companies generally sized their stuff smaller and having to buy one or two sizes larger than what I was used to was not uncommon.
Old 09-28-17, 01:43 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Agree.

I don't bother with Castelli because their sizing is a joke.
Old 09-28-17, 01:47 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Castelli: too small for size

Pearl Izumi: too big for size

Sugoi: OK, this is my fault... accidentally bought women's bibs. The size is OK but the chamois is kind of in the wrong place and the straps are weird. I only wear them under my tights so no one knows.
Old 09-28-17, 02:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The thing is not to compare Castelli Euro-Racer sizing with 'Murican sizing. Here's a "large" Castelli jersey vs. a "large" American golf shirt:

The question is whether it fits and in my experience Castelli runs pretty true to the size chart they post on their website. As to where it's made, in the 3 seasons we've had Castelli as team kit, I've had items made in Italy, China, Romania, and the USA.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-28-17, 02:09 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
sizing consistency is a big problem. and i mean with upmarket almost haute couture type apparel. not talking a brand , but even same exact model in different color or production runs. just the way of life. anything i buy online i make sure it has a streamlined return process because i expect to have to return a few
Old 09-28-17, 02:16 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Yeah I think I wear a 2 or 3XL casetlli. I only have a couple items but what I have is dang comfortable.

However, for about 1/3 of the cost, the DHB stuff (Wiggle's in-house brand) is just as comfortable. I'm on my third set of bibs from them and I'd stack them up against any of my castelli or pearl izumi stuff.

That gives me more money to spend on impractical and over-priced jerseys with cool designs
Old 09-28-17, 02:39 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Never had an issue quality or fit wise, maybe I'm built like an Italian cyclist. I just go with the fact every manufacturer is different in terms of size and go from there.
Old 09-28-17, 02:53 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Our team went with Castelli last year, I wear Large in their "regular" race cut, but their aero stuff I had to go to an XL. The Castelli rep told us that was going to happen.
Old 09-28-17, 02:59 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I have sets (bibs and jerseys) of the fake straight from China Castelli. I bought them when I first started riding because I like the looks. The next year a bought 2 pairs of bib, authentic Castelli). After 3 years the knock offs have not only held up great but are preferred to authentic, as we a to a pair of Pearl Izumi and 2 Performance Ultra.
Old 09-28-17, 03:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

It isn't about size as much as the quality of materials and manufacturing.

I could live with a label which says 3XL but the two products pictured are vastly different in terms of feel and finish and I just noticed that one of the bib straps on the Chinese made product is ripped.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-28-17 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-28-17, 03:25 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I don't bother with Castelli because their sizing is a joke.
The size is just a label. Doesn't ruin the fit or performance of the clothing. This weekend I wore Castelli size large shorts and a Giro size small jersey (because the medium was too loose). Different size baseline for sure but both garments fits nicely.
Old 09-28-17, 04:38 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
The size is just a label. Doesn't ruin the fit or performance of the clothing. This weekend I wore Castelli size large shorts and a Giro size small jersey (because the medium was too loose). Different size baseline for sure but both garments fits nicely.

Maybe I never figured it out, but seems like their stuff with the same size label can be quite different sizes.

Also don't relate to being X-large or larger.
Old 09-28-17, 05:00 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
(paid half at Competitive Cyclist) my $200 capo bibs made in Italy are stitched the same way the China ones are above . These Capo were my work horse along with Castelli bibs in rotation for last weeks 560mile tour across california. Both did awesome, no sores, no rips, no issues. legs stayed put and tan lines stayed sharp. Averaged to 6hour pedaling a day, one day was 9hours. Chamois pad worked great.

buy once cry once, especially the touching points to your bike. I wish someone would have told be this sooner when is started the roadie in 2005. Don't be scared to return things. I was buying 3-4 $40-50 bibs/shorts when I should have been buying 1-2 $80-100 bibs. I miss Bonktown.com when castelli bibs were $50
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-28-17, 06:38 PM
stevoo
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Good to know I am not the only one with challenges and opportunities regarding Castelli sizing.
Have a couple of shorts in large. All is good with them. Bought more in large and they look like they were made for smurfs. Had to return and get 2XL this time and still tighter than the original large.
Thought they sent boys size not adult size.
Caught me by surprise.
No more Castelli for me.
Kind of like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.

Bought some McKenzie shorts and large is fine.
Old 09-28-17, 06:48 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I have a pair of Pearl Izumi bibs that I'm pretty sure are knockoff Chinese-- they have less stitching and that stitching is irregular in places. Thing is, they're holding up every bit as well as my bibs with more/better stitching. And they fit, so... <shrug>

I also have two Castelli jerseys that are radically different in both sizing and construction. Both are large, but one is a snug race fit and the other one is almost baggy. But they both fit, and seem to be holding up equally well.
Old 09-28-17, 07:25 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a small in everything else and a medium in Castelli. I've also never had a bad experience with their stuff. I've never tried anything more expensive than Caselli because I can't imagine there is better...and I know the cheap stuff can be and is junk.
Old 09-28-17, 07:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
2XL Sorpasso Wind bib tights fit OK.

2XL Nano Flex 2 bib knickers are absurdly small however, smashing my genitals and digging into my shoulders. I'm not fat but the 3XL Nano Flex knickers fit nicely. I understand needing to size up but 3XL? Really?

The problem is that the 2XL made in Romania are objectively better made than the 3XL which are made in China. Mesh bib fabric on the Romanian made product is noticeably softer and the stitching on the Chinese made product is downright poor quality.

This isn't about products made in China but about a company like Castelli which claims to be on the cutting edge of high-end gear. Given the price I simply expect better than this.

Romanian made on top, Chinese made on bottom...
-
So trying to interpret from the above, and what I think I'm reading is that the $129 Nano Bibs (full price on Castelli's site), are not as well made as the $199 Sorpasso Bibs (full price on Castelli's site)? And then of course, nobody really pays full retail for these things, do they? I paid $82 for a pair of Sorpasso knickers a few weeks ago.. so full retail is pretty much a joke.
Old 09-28-17, 07:52 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I have a crap ton of Castelli stuff and have for years. I’ve only had one piece that had a quality problem. In general, the stuff is pretty great from my perspective both in functionality and in longevity.

That said, their sizing is a mess. I get the EU/American issue for sure, and cycling gear in general seems to run small and so does Castelli. They have been getting better but they do have consistency in sizings issues from design to design. However, once you find a design that fits, there is a lot of consistency from piece to piece. So I just plan on a little experimentation up front until I find what I like and the proper fit.

J.
Old 09-28-17, 09:04 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So trying to interpret from the above, and what I think I'm reading is that the $129 Nano Bibs (full price on Castelli's site), are not as well made as the $199 Sorpasso Bibs (full price on Castelli's site)? And then of course, nobody really pays full retail for these things, do they? I paid $82 for a pair of Sorpasso knickers a few weeks ago.. so full retail is pretty much a joke.

No.

Both bibs are Nano Flex 2 knickers.

One is made in Romania and the other in China. The Romanian made product is superior in many ways.

Not sure why you are bringing up price but both are sourced from backcountry within three days of each other.

-Tim0

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-28-17 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-28-17, 09:27 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I find wiggle.com to have a lot of useful reviews that help with sizing choice.

Like another poster, I'm also a fan of the dhb bibs/shorts I have. They're holding up better than my only pair of Castellis (though they're great looking thermal bibs).
Old 09-28-17, 09:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
No.

Both bibs are Nano Flex 2 knickers.

One is made in Romania and the other in China. The Romanian made product is superior in many ways.

Not sure why you are bringing up price but both are sourced from backcountry within three days of each other.

-Tim0
Sorry, I misunderstood. Thought you were comparing the Sorpassos (which fit fine I think you said) with the Nanos. And Sorpassos cost a good amount more than Nanos. . Price is generally related to quality. For 7Mesh, Assos and Rapha, who you also referenced, one is probably hard pressed to find a set of bib tights from any of these three makers for under $200, while the Castellis are easy to find well under $100. So I would say price is relevant to discussion if thread is about quality comparisons.
Old 09-28-17, 10:40 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott

Sugoi: OK, this is my fault... accidentally bought women's bibs. The size is OK but the chamois is kind of in the wrong place and the straps are weird. I only wear them under my tights so no one knows.
If you need a theme song:

Old 09-28-17, 11:13 PM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott

This is funny because I deliberately bought the men's version of the Performance Elite Bibs I recently got. I'm a female who's an "outie" rather than an "innie" so the padding designed for boys is more comfortable. (I have the Selle Italia Gel Diva saddle with a channel too which I was hesitant about but now love.) Plus I wanted wider straps so I'd never have to worry about them slipping or digging in. I highly recommend female cyclists try shopping on the men's side of the bike shop like they do with other shops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.