Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Castelli: Absurd Sizing and Inconsistent Quality

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Castelli: Absurd Sizing and Inconsistent Quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 05:03 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tony2v
Our team went with Castelli last year, I wear Large in their "regular" race cut, but their aero stuff I had to go to an XL. The Castelli rep told us that was going to happen.
I was going to say: local shop has team jerseys from Castelli. Although they are both race type, one is standard race cut, and the other is what the shop calls their "climber's" jersey (lower collar, tighter, slightly longer sleeves, finer, mesh-like fabric). Tried them both. Regular race jersey fits fine in Medium - properly trim, but can be zipped up without really noticeable stretching. Climber's jersey in Large, the fabric definitely has to stretch in order for it to be zipped up. Kinda makes sense. Although quite slim, among competitive cyclists, I'm pretty average size, but among climbers, I'm on the taller side (hence slightly larger).
Old 09-29-17, 05:22 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I used to love Castelli as a kid, when I was thin as a beanpole. I decided to try to get some new gear from them some years back 1)recalling that I liked them, and 2) because I really dig the scorpion logo

The sizing was, as all else have mentioned, a total joke. I couldn't have fit my sack in those pants without going up an octave...much less putting a leg in. I handed the shorts and shirt to my son. He looked at the sizing and made the comment that he couldn't wear "fat man" size. He tried them on and they were even too tight for him.

I still have the brand new jersey and shorts, unworn in a drawer around here somewhere.
Old 09-29-17, 06:55 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I used to love Castelli as a kid, when I was thin as a beanpole. I decided to try to get some new gear from them some years back 1)recalling that I liked them, and 2) because I really dig the scorpion logo

The sizing was, as all else have mentioned, a total joke. I couldn't have fit my sack in those pants without going up an octave...much less putting a leg in. I handed the shorts and shirt to my son. He looked at the sizing and made the comment that he couldn't wear "fat man" size. He tried them on and they were even too tight for him.

I still have the brand new jersey and shorts, unworn in a drawer around here somewhere.
Why the resistance to just buying the next larger size? I don't wear *anything* size large these days. My 32" waist pants, which were snug this spring, have a few inches to spare these days. But the Castelli size large shorts fit and were more comfortable than the 4 other styles I tried (all of which were mediums, my typical size for bike shorts). Discounting a product because the size doesn't make sense to you is really odd behavior. Then again, my wife has been known to do the same... (want to see really oddball sizing? go look at some women's clothes)
Old 09-29-17, 07:06 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Rapha, Assos and 7Mesh XL bibs all fit me fine. Castelli has to be sized way up and 2XL Sorpasso Wind bib tights fit OK.

2XL Nano Flex 2 bib knickers are absurdly small however, smashing my genitals and digging into my shoulders. I'm not fat but the 3XL Nano Flex knickers fit nicely. I understand needing to size up but 3XL? Really?

The problem is that the 2XL made in Romania are objectively better made than the 3XL which are made in China. Mesh bib fabric on the Romanian made product is noticeably softer and the stitching on the Chinese made product is downright poor quality.

This isn't about products made in China but about a company like Castelli which claims to be on the cutting edge of high-end gear. Given the price I simply expect better than this.

Romanian made on top, Chinese made on bottom...

Chinese on the left, Romanian on the right...

Lower quality materials, rediculous sizing and inconsistent manufacturing all point to a company more interested in cutting cost than living up to their marketing claims.

Back they go.

-Tim-
I have some XL Castelli shorts with the simple stitching as pictured above, and it started unraveling after a couple months.

I'm suspicious about the authenticity, now that you've shown that they also provide them with better stitching.

My Bellwether shorts with better stitching have lasted forever.
Old 09-29-17, 07:21 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Why the resistance to just buying the next larger size?
If you can size up, there's no reason not to, but I've found that, particularly with some of the Italian brands, you run out of runway pretty quickly when they size super small. I wear an L in most t-shirts (though an M in some absurdly 'Merican-sized brands) and the largest sizes of some Euro jerseys are too sausage-casing-esque to fit me, even if they're labeled 3XL.
Old 09-29-17, 07:37 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sorry, I misunderstood. Thought you were comparing the Sorpassos (which fit fine I think you said) with the Nanos. And Sorpassos cost a good amount more than Nanos. . Price is generally related to quality. For 7Mesh, Assos and Rapha, who you also referenced, one is probably hard pressed to find a set of bib tights from any of these three makers for under $200, while the Castellis are easy to find well under $100. So I would say price is relevant to discussion if thread is about quality comparisons.

Yeah, I wasn't clear. Sorry about that. Size has little to do with my frustration but the quality of the two when compared side by side.

As for price, Assos T.Milleshorts_S7 are $159. 7Mesh sold the MK1 bibs for $100 after introducing the MK2. Rapha had a sale not long ago - Classic II bibshorts were $179 IIRC, maybe a bit more.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-29-17 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 07:48 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by f4rrest
I have some XL Castelli shorts with the simple stitching as pictured above, and it started unraveling after a couple months.

I'm suspicious about the authenticity, now that you've shown that they also provide them with better stitching.

^^ This is the exact point of my post.

The Nano Flex fabric is unique but I have no doubt that it can be counterfeited. Of all the features however the main panels of the bibs look and feel identical as do the chamois. I cannot discern a difference in the Nano Flex fabric between the two.

The bib fabric and leg grippers are sufficiently different and the stitching is so far off that I do wonder.

More likely is a manufacturer who introduced a product with initial high quality and over time shifted manufacturing to less expensive location and lest costly technique and materials to save money - cheaper bib strap mesh, less time consuming stitching, etc.

Both are packed for return today.

-Tim-
Old 09-29-17, 07:49 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Why the resistance to just buying the next larger size?

WHAT next larger size?
Old 09-29-17, 08:00 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
WHAT next larger size?
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If you can size up, there's no reason not to, but I've found that, particularly with some of the Italian brands, you run out of runway pretty quickly when they size super small. I wear an L in most t-shirts (though an M in some absurdly 'Merican-sized brands) and the largest sizes of some Euro jerseys are too sausage-casing-esque to fit me, even if they're labeled 3XL.
Ok, I didn't realize that was the issue at hand. Makes sense now.
Old 09-29-17, 08:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,556 Times in 7,331 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah. That was my experience. Spent two weeks riding in northern Italy back in 2013. One day we stopped at a high end shop. I tried on a 3XL jersey and it was too small. I am 6' 2" and wear between a L and XL in 'Merican sizing. One guy in our group was not big at all. Size M here. He saw a jersey he really liked. The XL, which was the largest size it came in, was too tight on him by a good bit.
Old 09-29-17, 08:14 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't clear. Sorry about that. Size has little to do with my frustration but the quality of the two when compared side by side. It is like they are completely different products.

As for price, Assos T.Milleshorts_S7 are $159. 7Mesh sold the MK1 bibs for $100 after introducing the MK2. Rapha had a sale not long ago - Classic II bibshorts were $179 IIRC, maybe a bit more.

-Tim-
Somewhat familiar with the CC/Backcountry stocking system. It's not unusual for them to lump prior model years' stock with current years'. Or 3-yr old stock with 2-yr old stock, etc. Maybe it's possible your 2XLs are from different production year than the 3XLs (eg. 2016 vs 2017?), with change of manufacturing location occurring somewhere along the line. Eg. if I look at the reviews page on CC for my Sorpasso knickers, they go back as far as 2012 thru to this year. There's no way I'd bet a manufacturer doesn't change something over a 5yr period. For this reason I've always found it important to make sure to look at current reviews if possible.

A place like ChainReaction seems better about providing the model year with their clothing.

FYI, Castelli's best stuff seems to come out of Morocco.
Old 09-29-17, 08:40 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Illustrative.. off of the Steepandcheap (CC/backcountry sister site). First is Black/Black color scheme, 2nd photo should be the Black/White color scheme (personally, I don't really see much difference). Same model year? If so, why would one be much more discounted than the other? Also.. notice the sewn in tag at the back collar.. can you spot the difference?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SorpBB.JPG (32.2 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg
SorpBW.JPG (31.4 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by Sy Reene; 09-29-17 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 08:52 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Sy... Thanks for the info.

Change in location and downward revisions to the design are what I suspect.

Caveat emptor for everyone out there.

By the way, the melancholic me loves your signature.

-Tim-
Old 09-29-17, 09:23 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by tony2v
Our team went with Castelli last year, I wear Large in their "regular" race cut, but their aero stuff I had to go to an XL. The Castelli rep told us that was going to happen.
Same here. I was afraid my XL skinsuit was going to have extra fabric somewhere, but I was wrong. It fits perfectly. My size L aero jersey only fits right when I'm in my month or two of peak season. (Should have bought an XL jersey, too.)

But my Gabbas are size M.

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 09-29-17 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-29-17, 10:59 AM
Danny01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sizing on Castelli is a crapshoot. I have an XXL jersey and an L jersey. The L is way looser. I'm done with buying Castelli jerseys and bib shorts. However, their cold weather gear is awesome.
Old 09-29-17, 01:44 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
The thing is not to compare Castelli Euro-Racer sizing with 'Murican sizing. Here's a "large" Castelli jersey vs. a "large" American golf shirt:
To be fair, most golfers aren't quite so concerns with aerodynamics.
Old 09-29-17, 03:04 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Why the resistance to just buying the next larger size? I don't wear *anything* size large these days. My 32" waist pants, which were snug this spring, have a few inches to spare these days. But the Castelli size large shorts fit and were more comfortable than the 4 other styles I tried (all of which were mediums, my typical size for bike shorts). Discounting a product because the size doesn't make sense to you is really odd behavior. Then again, my wife has been known to do the same... (want to see really oddball sizing? go look at some women's clothes)
Methinks this issue is of course not with people who've tried on the clothing in a physical store, but those who ordered online, following the size charts posted and then have the P.I.T.A. process of having to return/exchange, because Castelli has a bad track record in providing consistent size charts. Making it worse, even if you know your correct size for one model clothing, it may not work for another model.
Old 09-29-17, 03:19 PM
joejack951

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Methinks this issue is of course not with people who've tried on the clothing in a physical store, but those who ordered online, following the size charts posted and then have the P.I.T.A. process of having to return/exchange, because Castelli has a bad track record in providing consistent size charts. Making it worse, even if you know your correct size for one model clothing, it may not work for another model.
I was not fully aware of the inconsistency issue either.
Old 09-29-17, 11:28 PM
TobinHatesYou

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a huge difference between Castelli's race/team fit and club fit, that's for sure. I still end up buying small jerseys and small bibs for each at 5'10"

The bibs are pretty tough to get into, but they feel okay once pulled up. They're actually a bit loose around the thigh side panels...
Old 09-29-17, 11:43 PM
joejack951

Originally Posted by TobinHatesYou
I still end up buying small jerseys and small bibs for each at 5'10"
What do you weigh?
Old 09-30-17, 12:22 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
[QUOTE=Sy Reene;19896529]Methinks this issue is of course not with people who've tried on the clothing in a physical store, but those who ordered online, following the size charts posted and then have the P.I.T.A. process of having to return/exchange. QUOTE]

I agree 100%. This is why I stopped buying any Castelli. I pretty much have to order all my gear on-line so consistency in sizing within brand is beneficial.
Old 10-01-17, 02:14 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Rapha, Assos and 7Mesh XL bibs all fit me fine. Castelli has to be sized way up and 2XL Sorpasso Wind bib tights fit OK.

2XL Nano Flex 2 bib knickers are absurdly small however, smashing my genitals and digging into my shoulders. I'm not fat but the 3XL Nano Flex knickers fit nicely. I understand needing to size up but 3XL? Really?

The problem is that the 2XL made in Romania are objectively better made than the 3XL which are made in China. Mesh bib fabric on the Romanian made product is noticeably softer and the stitching on the Chinese made product is downright poor quality.

This isn't about products made in China but about a company like Castelli which claims to be on the cutting edge of high-end gear. Given the price I simply expect better than this.

Romanian made on top, Chinese made on bottom...

Chinese on the left, Romanian on the right...

Lower quality materials, rediculous sizing and inconsistent manufacturing all point to a company more interested in cutting cost than living up to their marketing claims.

Back they go.

-Tim-
You should contact Castelli. Im inclined to believe they are not genuine Castelli.
Old 10-01-17, 03:56 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Issue I take umbrage with is size labeling. In the race aero jerseys I wear M. In standard cut I wear Small.

Why can't I order the same apparent-size for both garments and have 1 fit extremely tight as race/aero should be, and 1 moderately tight as performance garment should be ?

Same thing in normal clothing world where manufacturers straight up recommend people to size up or down...if your US11 shoes fit like US12...why not relabel it US12?
Old 10-01-17, 05:33 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redfooj
Issue I take umbrage with is size labeling. In the race aero jerseys I wear M. In standard cut I wear Small.

Why can't I order the same apparent-size for both garments and have 1 fit extremely tight as race/aero should be, and 1 moderately tight as performance garment should be ?

Same thing in normal clothing world where manufacturers straight up recommend people to size up or down...if your US11 shoes fit like US12...why not relabel it US12?
Umbrage? Sorry to hear that.

Castelli sizing actually makes a bit of sense to me; different designs are sized (range and fit) to correspond the types of cyclists for whom they are designed. Expecting them to include lineman-size for their pro designs is like expecting Riddell to include jockey-size for theirs. Seriously, among pro cyclists, 185 lbs is XL, and not so many of those 185 lbs are in the upper body, so for an average-sized or broad-chested american man to expect a pro jersey to fit is kind of ridiculous. But then they have their recreational designs, and if you consider the sizes of recreational riders, even the largest pro riders would barely be larger than Medium.
Old 10-01-17, 06:24 AM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Umbrage? Sorry to hear that.

Castelli sizing actually makes a bit of sense to me; different designs are sized (range and fit) to correspond the types of cyclists for whom they are designed. Expecting them to include lineman-size for their pro designs is like expecting Riddell to include jockey-size for theirs. Seriously, among pro cyclists, 185 lbs is XL, and not so many of those 185 lbs are in the upper body, so for an average-sized or broad-chested american man to expect a pro jersey to fit is kind of ridiculous. But then they have their recreational designs, and if you consider the sizes of recreational riders, even the largest pro riders would barely be larger than Medium.

I agree with what you say about the typical sizing of cyclists & possibly some complaining. However, I'm about 135lbs with not a lot of fat. At my size, I'd expect to wear the same size regardless of cut/design. The only difference for cut/design should be the tightness of fit by design. However before I gave up on Castelli, I had some items in S and some in L. They just make it almost impossible to order on-line with any confidence that the item will fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.