Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

How to fix my sweet FMB base-tape?

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 09-05-18, 04:05 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have these sweet FMBs.
I kinda wrecked them right away by smearing them w Aquaseal --- it's commonly recommended but shouldn't be. It stiffened the sidewalls and added a bunch of weight. UGH!
They were lightly used when I got them last year. I used them for a couple races and a dozen workouts.
They are fraying at the base-tape. I think it's just the base tape coming off of the tire. Not off of the rim. There's a lot of fraying going on. And glue mess.
They seem glued on good to the rim still. I don't like the idea of removing the tires and re-gluing like I know I should at the start of each season. I'd kinda like to roll the tires back and smear some fresh glue of some type into the exposed areas where the tape is coming off the tire. Since I'm not re-doing the rim-glue I don't think Mastik is what I want to use. I'm thinking Barge Cement for re-adhering the tape to the casing. I also have some Contact Cement.
Any ideas?
Old 10-19-18, 12:19 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hello dead forum! I fixed this by using Barge Infinity Cement. It's ugly but has held up fine so far!
Old 12-16-18, 02:44 PM
MikeTé

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Barge cement. Thanks; I'll file that way as a hot tip for future repairs. I do have one pair to repair base tape, but it's off the rims right now.
I've been doing like you, just filling in the gaps (if any) with mastik. All 3 sets lasted solidly 5 years; all blew apart this fall. Just in time to switch to disc : )