Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the Felt Broam (vs Breed, etc.)?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Thoughts on the Felt Broam (vs Breed, etc.)?

Old 10-17-18, 01:29 PM
snookanglr
padawan

Bikes: Felt Breed 30, Bianchi Intenso, Trek Madone, Cannondale Synapse, Giant Anthem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'll definitely ride it before I buy it although it'll be on the road. I won't get to test it on gravel. My buddy manages the shop and sent me this pic taken during the build.

Old 10-26-18, 04:11 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
One of my LBS's has one. Beautiful looking bike in person. And light. If I didn't want to stick with steel I woulda grabbed it.
Old 10-27-18, 02:49 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by snookanglr
I'll definitely ride it before I buy it although it'll be on the road. I won't get to test it on gravel. My buddy manages the shop and sent me this pic taken during the build.

Does it have rack/fender mounts?

The Breed and Topstone seem to be great specs for the money.
Old 10-27-18, 07:52 AM
satrain18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JayNYC
I asked Felt about max tire clearance. They gave me a lecture about ISO standards, then said 700C x 45 for the Broam and 650b x 2.1 (53) for the Breed. I had asked max for 700C and 650b for both, so still waiting to hear 650b for Broam and 700C for Breed.

Ah yes, they seem to have a new "adventure" category on their site. Both were in the gravel section a few days ago. But other than marketing terms, what's the substantive difference between those two categories? Or, put another way, why can't the Broam be a gravel bike or the Breed an "adventure" / touring / bikepacking bike?

For the hell of it, since we're talking about the Breed just as much as the Broam, here's the pic of the Breed 30…

I think if you remove the B from "Broam", I think you'll have your answer.
Old 10-27-18, 08:37 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto
Does it have rack/fender mounts?

The Breed and Topstone seem to be great specs for the money.
The Broam lists mid-mount rack and fender mounts on the fork, and while the Breed doesn't specifically mention this, it has the same fork, and the mounts seem to be visible on the photos, so I think it's fair to say that it does. I guess that's one thing that differentiates it from the Topstone, in addition to the 650b vs 700c on the Topstone.
Old 10-29-18, 04:36 PM
snookanglr
padawan

Bikes: Felt Breed 30, Bianchi Intenso, Trek Madone, Cannondale Synapse, Giant Anthem

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Yeah the Breed has fender mounts. Check out what this guy did with his: Felt Breed 20 - Bike Ideas - The Riding Gravel Forum
Old 11-10-18, 01:34 PM
snookanglr
padawan

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I gave my new Felt Breed 30 a shakedown ride yesterday and in a word - fun! I went with the Breed 30 instead of the 20 because I wanted a double crank, I trust and know Shimano 105, and $2000 was what I wanted to spend. I rode it 33 miles through a flat area that had a mix of pavement, fine gravel, chunky gravel, dirt, grass, rooty doubletrack, and sand. On pavement this bike feels like a road bike, albeit a road bike that you can bunny hop and ride over parking stops. Yes I have to put forth more effort to hold the Breed at the speeds of my road bike but it was smooth and impressive nonetheless. I definitely see myself using this bike on the road more than I thought I would. It will replace my townie and also be used for rambling, goof-off road rides where I’m simply out for fun. But I bought the Breed for fast gravel rides and that’s where it shines. It was surprisingly plush on the gravel, dirt and grass. The 47c tires pumped to 30-35 psi provide a lot of suspension. The super cushy handlebar tape helps too. I wasn’t expecting such a comfortable ride. On the rooty double track I definitely felt the hits and I had to get out of the saddle a lot. But Palmetto roots are rough on a mountain bike too so no disappointment there. In the sugar sand the going was rough. But only a fat bike is “good” in sugar sand. In addition to providing a lot of cushion, the WTB Byways were stable. They gripped really well except on dry, loose turns where I had to slow down and be a little more cautious. Every tire is going to be a compromise in certain conditions but these tires do a admirable job of being a do-it-all tire.

My mtb is 27.5 so I’m used to that size wheel and along with the cross-compatibility, that was part of the appeal of the Breed. On gravel I think this is the way to go. With 650b I have more stability and control so I don’t see myself changing to 700c on this bike. So far I haven’t made any changes except to set it up tubeless and install Crank Brothers Candy 1 pedals. However, I am considering some changes but want to test the bike out a while longer. I might swap out the more mtb-oriented Prologo Nago X10 T2.0 saddle for my road saddle the Fizik Antares. Also, the spacer stack is pretty high and it has a 100mm stem which puts me more upright than I’m used to. It’s kind of nice that way and I like the added control but I might remove a spacer and try a 110mm stem and see how it feels to be more stretched out.

The Breed comes with all sorts of mounts for racks, fenders, bottle cages, and a direct mount top tube bag. This is all very cool but to be honest I’ll probably never use any of it except for the top tube bag. I’m eyeing a Oveja Negra Snack Pack. That being said, it’s nice to know that if I ever wanted to try bikepacking the Breed 30 would be more than suitable.

I’ll update this post after I’ve owned and ridden the bike some more but my initial impressions are obviously very favorable. I think Felt has a winner with the Breed. It checked all the right boxes for me; 650b with massive tire clearance, Shimano components, a T47 BB (very cool to see a major brand spec’ng this). Sure I’d like a carbon frame but for a bike I won’t ride that often I didn’t want to move up to the carbon price point. And last but not least this bike just looks cool. The glossy black and glittery green paint pops in the sun.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1955558566

Old 11-10-18, 07:07 PM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the impressions! Great photo, that green is really pleasant in the sun.

I like that it come sin 650b stock. I'd probably build a second, more road focused 700c wheelset eventually if I were to make the plunge, so it's nice that the wheels are kind of off road focused from the get-go.

Any issues with the rear braking, given that it has those smaller rotors in the back?
Old 11-12-18, 09:01 AM
snookanglr
padawan

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The braking was rock solid although the totally flat areas in which I ride don't exactly give brakes a hard test.
Old 01-27-19, 09:16 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Great review! This bike is on my list as I’m not ready to make the jump to carbon yet. My only beef is the 650s. Only because I’m a tire ***** and I don’t need another size to collect. But I really like the tread pattern of the byways. Can you tell me more about the way the tires do in the solid to medium gravel?
Old 01-28-19, 06:43 AM
snookanglr
padawan

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
These tires have been great on all gravel, from crushed limestone to big chunky stuff. I haven't had issues on any surfaces except on the slip and side stuff: hard packed wet mud, low wet grass, and sand. I made it through those surfaces but I had to take it real slow. All tires will be a compromise somewhere but these do a great job of being good for a lot of conditions. I don't see myself trying a different tire. I don't want more or less tread. I'm also really liking the added control and stability of the 650's. Of course the added tire clearance is what most attracted me. My mtb is 650b too. Once problem though, my bike is in the shop getting the rear hub replaced. I did a very wet and muddy race and afterwards the rear hub starting seizing up. Yes I went through loads of deep standing water but this shouldn't happen on a new bike. Felt and my LBS are taking care of it (as they should). Aside from this hitch I'm loving the bike. This ride has a pic of it in the wild.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2060998530
Old 01-28-19, 06:55 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by JayNYC
The person answering questions for Felt on Facebook didn't really understand my question about tire size, but s/he went and asked a production manager who did understand. Bottom line, both the Breed and Broam have the same tire size limitations. The max sizes are 700C x 45mm or 650b x 2.1" (53mm). It's just the Breed comes with 650b wheels and the Broam with 700C wheels.

That's actually pretty sweet. It gives a lot of workable options. Everything pretty much works – from 700x25 road tires on up to 650x53.

And one correction from what I stated in my original post (they changed the specs on the website) – both the Breed and the Broam have 160mm brake rotors on the front and 140mm on the back.
Where you live there's 20 bike shops and try measuring the actual distance of that rear tire clearance. It could be that tire clearance may require how much clearance there really is. In one of the 20 shops, ask to measure the clearance on say a Open Cycle, UP. This will give you some indication of that Felt bike.
Old 04-16-19, 10:20 AM
EddNog

Bikes: Road/Race: 2012 Breezer Venturi; Trail: 2016 Scott Scale 720 Plus

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Internal dropper run on the Broam?

Does anyone know if the Broam has internal dropper run capability (at least when running 1X)?

-Ed
Old 05-09-19, 05:33 PM
Cliplessinpa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Broam

I bought a Broam 40 a couple weeks ago. I'm absolutely loving it. Much smoother ride and more stable than the cross bike I was gravelling on. The stock Refuse 40's roll really well on pavement, and still do well on fine to medium dirt/gravel roads. I have a set of 27.5 wheels that I set up with Honeybader 2.0's for the rougher stuff. There is no internal dropper routing, to answer the last question.
Old 05-09-19, 06:12 PM
EddNog

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cliplessinpa
I bought a Broam 40 a couple weeks ago. I'm absolutely loving it. Much smoother ride and more stable than the cross bike I was gravelling on. The stock Refuse 40's roll really well on pavement, and still do well on fine to medium dirt/gravel roads. I have a set of 27.5 wheels that I set up with Honeybader 2.0's for the rougher stuff. There is no internal dropper routing, to answer the last question.
Well that’s disappointing; now I’ll have to figure out if I can still use this KS Lev Integra I picked up for my new Broam. 🤔

- Ed
Old 06-05-19, 02:10 PM
EddNog

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Okay, so finally got my Broam back from the shop after weeks (long story); I immediately decided to install my spare set of Boyd Altamont Lite wheels shod with Soma Supple Vitesse 48 tires (set up tubeless) and was amazed to find how much tire clearance it still has even with these tires! Going back to the comments earlier about tire spacing built into the frame, basically they designed it to take up to 700x45 tires with at least 6mm clearance on all sides, or up to 27.5x2.1" tires also with at least 6mm clearance on all sides. The ISO standard stipulates that minimum 6" clearance for any tire bigger than 28mm, but any tire 28mm or smaller only, "needs," 3mm space on all sides. If we were to, say, bend the rules a little bit, and apply the 3mm spacing limitation to all tire sizes, then the bike should be able to fit 700x50/29x2.0 or 27.5x2.3/650x60 tires with room to spare. Judging by the amount of clearance I am getting with the 700x48 Soma Supple Vitesse tires, everything just stated holds true in real world usage. If anyone is interested, I can post pictures later or tomorrow of how much clearance I have at the fork as well as at the stays out back with the current setup, with vernier caliper measurements. This thing has MASSIVE clearance, significantly more than my old frame (2016 Jamis Renegade Exile). I am totally in love!

As far as internal dropper routing, I have, sadly, confirmed that there is no way to do it, even with a 1X setup, because the BB is simply too small/tight. The only option would be externally routed droppers. I have a PNW Pine dropper on order that I will be installing on this bike, since the KS eTen Integra I have won't work, much to my dismay.

-Ed
Old 06-05-19, 04:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by EddNog
As far as internal dropper routing, I have, sadly, confirmed that there is no way to do it, even with a 1X setup, because the BB is simply too small/tight. The only option would be externally routed droppers. I have a PNW Pine dropper on order that I will be installing on this bike, since the KS eTen Integra I have won't work, much to my dismay.

-Ed
This may come off critical, but it's genuine interest and confusion.
Why is a dropper post needed for a gravel bike in densely populated NJ?

Do you ride single track that has steep technical descents where getting behind the saddle is needed?

Yup, sounded critical. Sorry. Just trying to understand this phenomenon of froppers on gravel bikes. I get it for a small % of riders who won't use an mtb on steep technical gnarly fire roads, for example.
Trying to understand what other situations are out there.
Old 06-05-19, 04:35 PM
EddNog

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This may come off critical, but it's genuine interest and confusion.
Why is a dropper post needed for a gravel bike in densely populated NJ?

Do you ride single track that has steep technical descents where getting behind the saddle is needed?

Yup, sounded critical. Sorry. Just trying to understand this phenomenon of froppers on gravel bikes. I get it for a small % of riders who won't use an mtb on steep technical gnarly fire roads, for example.
Trying to understand what other situations are out there.
One, as a bike commuter, it’s really nice to be able to just drop it at every red light and stop sign (and there are A LOT in Camden and Philly where I work).

Secondly, when the bike is fully loaded (when I bikepack, like the two times I’ve done C&O and GAP, for example), having the dropper is great for when stopping for a quick recovery to eat/drink without dismounting, and having both legs down to keep the bike upright and stable with all of that weight.

A fair question, and hopefully fair answers.

-Ed
Likes For EddNog:
Old 06-10-19, 01:30 PM
EddNog

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pictures with measurements of clearance with 700x48 tires (Soma Fab Supple Vitesse 48 SL at 30psi front and Supple Vitesse 48 EX at 40psi rear):

Rims are Boyd Altamont Lite (19.86mm inner width).

Rear first:

Front:

-Ed
Old 06-10-19, 03:35 PM
EddNog

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Based on the above, I made the following table for theoretical spacing with 700x50 tires and 29x2.1 tires. Sorry for the picture of a screen.

-Ed
Old 03-31-20, 11:11 AM
Tommy617

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This bike is on sale for $1500 now. I am 5'6".
The Felt size guide says I can go 51 or 53. Can't really test ride these and I don't want to miss the sale.
How do I know what size to go for?
Old 03-31-20, 01:33 PM
Cliplessinpa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'6" and have the 51cm Broam. I'm very happy with the fit. I do have the seatpost near maximum extension. I am a bit longer in the leg proportionally than my friends I ride with. The reach and stack height for me are just about perfect for a fast recreational fit. I'm not too stretched out, and very comfortable doing longer rides on the bike. I also have a set of 27.5 wheels with Kenda Honeybadger 2.0's. I swap back and forth between smoother 700c's and the Honeybadger's depending on the ride. It's definitely singletrack capable with those tires.
Old 03-31-20, 03:00 PM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I'm seeing the 2019 broam 30 for just over $1300 direct from felt: https://feltbicycles.com/products/br...18311197950070
Old 04-11-20, 09:47 AM
cyclomic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone using front rack with the Broam? What rack brand you use? Easy to setup? Any pictures? thanks.
Old 06-27-20, 10:38 AM
trstahly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Broam for me

I have has numerous very high end race/road bikes for the last 30 years and have been riding a Trek Domane 6.0 Dura Ace for several years now. I only ride about 20-25 miles and am 67 but am growing tired of a bike that is so twitchy and too expensive to leave anywhere much less walk in the shoes with the dura ace type cleats.

I was looking at the Trek Checkpoint, ALR, Specialized Diverge and then settled on the Breed and Broam. After much thought the Broam made the most since for a 2nd bike. Considerations for a 2nd bike are quite different than your only bike. My wants were a more relaxed bike with more comfort and wider tires I can do more with. A bike that is not twitchy to the point I feel I need to wear a helmet (sorry for people who disagree with me) as I don't always feel like wearing a helmet when I am just tooling around or running quick errand etc. The Broam 30 fits the bill quite nicely and with the Shimano pedals I got and Specialized Recon 3.0 mountain bike shoes with two BOA's and the ability to walk comfortably with the recessed cleats checked all the boxes for me.

I imagine after riding it my first ride is today I can figure out if I want lower gearing for a 2nd set of off wider off road tires since my 40mm wide tires are essentially smooth road tires which is exactly what I want. But I do like the option of being able to put some more aggressive wider tires on for some other Terrain. My local dealer was sold out to he Broam 30 so I found a new 2019 from Bike Connection for $500 off $1,299 which I found odd considering the shortage and lead time for bikes but felt pretty good about it that is not much money for a bike of this quality. I got a small chain lock rated 4 so I can finally park a bike I own someplace and feel reasonably sure it will not get stolen I live in a town of 150,000 not a high crime area at all real America. If it does get stolen wtf its only $1300.

I am 6'3 and always have ridden 61/62 CM bikes I got this one in a 58cm because they did not have any 61cm and I think I may like it more but if I don't will just get a 61cm next year if I think I need one and am riding it enough but think I will be fine.