Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommended light weight jackets?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Recommended light weight jackets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-19, 07:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
So after surfing the interwebs last night and speaking with Mrs. NoWhammies, this happened:

7Mesh Resistance jacket. Hopefully the jacket will serve my purposes. More cake than I was wanting to spend, but the words "buy nice or buy twice" were going through my head. So we'll see how the jacket works out for me once it arrives.
@NoWhammies

Sorry I didn't see this earlier and hope you can tell us how it is working for you.

I owned this jacket but lost weight and gave it away to someone who really needed it.

It is not intended for a prolonged, heavy deluge. The seams will eventually leak through. That said, it does vent really, really well and keeps the rain off outside of a two hour downpour. 7Mesh replaced it with the Oro and Rebellion, both of which are eye wateringly expensive.

I now own the Gore C5 1985 Vis shakedry. It keeps me drier than the 7Mesh Resistance but doesn't fit anywhere near as nice nor vent as well. 7Mesh's articulated patterning is stellar. I'm a huge fan of 7Mesh gear. Most of their stuff is as good as anything else out there and I'm sure you will love it.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-05-19 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-07-19, 12:44 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
@TimothyH your timing is fortuitous! I used this jacket for the first time yesterday as I was out for a ride and became caught in a light drizzle that turned in to a light shower.

My first impressions of the jacket: the arm holes are too high. When I put the jacket on at home I felt as though the jacket was riding up underneath my armpits. Almost as if the arm holes are too high. It was quite uncomfortable really. But as I bought the jacket on sale, I could not return it.

Yesterday I decided to go for a ride even though the weather was looking dicey. Mrs. NoWhammies reminded me to take the jacket and I'm glad she did. The jacket compacted down into its own pocket and tucked nicely away in the back pocket of my jersey. About 1.5hrs in to my ride the sprinkles of rain turned in to a heavy drizzle. Time to break out the jacket! Once on the bike and riding, the high armholes did not seem to be an issue. Likely because I was bent over on the bike and not standing straight up like I was at home.

The jacket fit snugly over my jersey and kept my warm and dry. The sleeves were tight at my wrists (but not uncomfortably so), snug about the waist (again, not uncomfortably so) and I had good movement in the jacket. I was able to cycle home without issue and the jacket kept my warm and dry.

That said, I was not caught in any massive downpours. While I was in rain for the remaining 2hrs of my ride, the rain never started pounding down. It was a continual light rain and the 7 Mesh jacket handled it perfectly. I would not hesitate to recommend the jacket.
Old 07-07-19, 01:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The high arm holes are intentional. You may have noticed that the arm holes also seem to be sticking out of the front of the garment. This is part of how 7Mesh patterns their gear, articulated to fit on the bike.

I also seem to remember tight wrists cuffs.

Glad you like it though. I love everything I have from 7Mesh.