Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I love my Raleigh 3-Speed, but....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 04:22 PM
poetman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I am wondering if I should keep my Raleigh Sports with my dynohub or get a 10, or greater, speed bike to deal with hills in the Northeast. It doesn’t make sense for me to own 2 bikes though I understand why many would advocate for such a thing. I take my bike to ride around town with my family, and once in a while, on my own to go to the local library or coffee shop, but I don’t ride long distance. I live in a boring suburb. Lately, I find that trying to ride this Raleigh up on inclines (even after swapping out the cog for a 22T) is less than pleasant. Would I see a significantly more comfortable ride from a wider gear range bike? What do you more experienced riders think?

Thanks!

Last edited by poetman; 07-08-19 at 06:21 PM.
Likes For poetman:
Old 07-08-19, 04:28 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
As someone who owns both a Raleigh 3 speed, and a modern 24 speed STI road bike... yes you will feel a noticeable inprovement in efficiency on the modern bike. Like, no comparison, even on just short rides.
Likes For riverdrifter:
Old 07-08-19, 05:26 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
As someone who owns a Raleigh Sports as well as many other bikes of all flavors, I say keep the Sports. 1) it has a lot of cool factor 2) you are just riding around and not trying to prevail amongst the Strava contingent and 3) you can always walk up the hills. I assume you like the Raleigh, right?

You ought to see if you can borrow a bike with a lower range of gears just for comparison. Lower gears do not make hill climbing much more comfortable in my experience - whether I charge up the hill out of the saddle in a higher gear, or spin, spin, spin slowly up the hill, I feel a similar level of exertion.

You say that you "lately" feel ... Could be that there is an issue with the bike that makes it more difficult to pedal. I have drum brakes on my commuting bike and once my front brake would not release fully. I rode for a week with that dragging brake shoe all the while wondering why I was so much slower than normal.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 07-08-19, 05:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
+1. If anything, try getting out of the saddle and "honking" up those hills to shake things up, rather than wishing for lower and lower gears.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-08-19, 05:33 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by poetman
I love in a boring suburb.
Better to have loved in a boring suburb than never to have loved at all.

At least, that's what they say.

They don't say that! No one says that!
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-08-19, 05:34 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
I think it's more than just the gears. A lighter weight, more efficient and modern bike is just easier to ride.
Old 07-08-19, 05:50 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,379 Times in 7,207 Posts
...if you have run out of range increasing the rear cog size at 22 teeth , here's a 24 tooth one on e-bay. You can also go for a smaller chainwheel, but it's a lot of work and you'll probably lose the heron heads on the crank. But in answer to your question, yes a bicycle with modern alloy rims, a wider gear range, and lighter, higher pressure tyres will climb hills better. As stated above.

I have an older sports here that I built new, lighter, more efficient wheels for on the existing hubs. Again, that's more work than most people are up for.
Old 07-08-19, 07:07 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Aluminum rims on the Raleigh Sports will make it dreamy.

How often do you spin out in 3rd gear? If never, or rarely, going to the 24 tooth rear will help, but aluminum rims really make a BIG difference.
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 07-08-19, 07:15 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Hills are hills - you win some, you lose some.

Will a wider gear range be more comfortable? I say yes.

But, nothing wrong with the Raleigh for the reasons you like it...

...So, a second bike is not excessive.

Kill the hills at your will.

Let the old cruiser handle the leisure rides.

All is good. Ride on.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 07-08-19, 07:43 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
It's just a hill....

...the joy you get when "that hill" becomes easier every time you ride it, is hard to describe.

Last edited by chainwhip; 07-08-19 at 07:48 PM.
Likes For chainwhip:
Old 07-08-19, 08:54 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Upgrading to alu rims and a 5-speed (or 7 or 8) internal gear hub would give you the gearing you’re looking for.
Old 07-09-19, 03:53 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
As someone who owns a Raleigh Sports as well as many other bikes of all flavors, I say keep the Sports. 1) it has a lot of cool factor 2) you are just riding around and not trying to prevail amongst the Strava contingent and 3) you can always walk up the hills. I assume you like the Raleigh, right?

You ought to see if you can borrow a bike with a lower range of gears just for comparison. Lower gears do not make hill climbing much more comfortable in my experience - whether I charge up the hill out of the saddle in a higher gear, or spin, spin, spin slowly up the hill, I feel a similar level of exertion.

You say that you "lately" feel ... Could be that there is an issue with the bike that makes it more difficult to pedal. I have drum brakes on my commuting bike and once my front brake would not release fully. I rode for a week with that dragging brake shoe all the while wondering why I was so much slower than normal.
I agree. I also feel a similar level of exertion climbing with either my Rudge 3 speed geared at 48x22 or my Raleigh USA hybrid with it's extra low granny. Both these have plain push pedals. For me, toe straps , or I guess modern clip pedals which I've never had, are the feature that makes the biggest difference hill climbing. Even 10 pounds one way or the other doesn't seem to mean much. The bumpy roads where I live make riding most ultra lightweight bikes less comfortable than the old 3 speed.
Old 07-09-19, 06:04 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Tubulars fit easy under Raleigh fenders. Tubulars solve most problems.
Old 07-11-19, 11:33 AM
poetman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I just typed a very long post that didn't go through, so please forgive my brevity here! I went to my LBS yesterday and was BLOWN AWAY at the differences between my old Sports and new hybrid and road bikes. The smoothness, speed, and handling of these newer bikes were WAY too impressive to ignore. Since I am not ready to part with my beloved Sports just yet, I want to test the waters for a vintage road bike. I know nothing about these bikes but find them beautiful! Ideally, I would like to be able to take such a bike off the road onto local trails, but it's not a deal breaker. I know some of the big names in road bikes, but know nothing about components, gears, tubing, etc. Ideally, I would like to wait for a great C-list steal for a vintage 10-speed under $100, but a new Nishiki I rode yesterday made me wonder if I should second guess my vintage impulse. I would appreciate any further recommendations you all might make!

Thank you everyone for the dialogue!
Old 07-11-19, 12:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Every so often, I get a wild hair to swap the handlebars, saddle, and pedals on my 3-speed and turn it into more of a Clubman-style bike. But it would still be relatively heavy and clunky compared to my other road bikes, so the urge passes.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-11-19, 09:34 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
ThermionicScott - they're not really the same thing...

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Every so often, I get a wild hair to swap the handlebars, saddle, and pedals on my 3-speed and turn it into more of a Clubman-style bike. But it would still be relatively heavy and clunky compared to my other road bikes, so the urge passes.
Dont you think its because, in your gut, you know they're not really the same thing....???

Hi-Ten...vs...

Reynolds 531
Old 07-11-19, 09:40 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,393 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by poetman
I just typed a very long post that didn't go through, so please forgive my brevity here! I went to my LBS yesterday and was BLOWN AWAY at the differences between my old Sports and new hybrid and road bikes. The smoothness, speed, and handling of these newer bikes were WAY too impressive to ignore. Since I am not ready to part with my beloved Sports just yet, I want to test the waters for a vintage road bike. I know nothing about these bikes but find them beautiful! Ideally, I would like to be able to take such a bike off the road onto local trails, but it's not a deal breaker. I know some of the big names in road bikes, but know nothing about components, gears, tubing, etc. Ideally, I would like to wait for a great C-list steal for a vintage 10-speed under $100, but a new Nishiki I rode yesterday made me wonder if I should second guess my vintage impulse. I would appreciate any further recommendations you all might make!

Thank you everyone for the dialogue!
Throw some well-built rims, North Road handlebars, and an IGH hub on an older roadbike built with Reynolds 531, Columbus SL, or Tange 1/2. Slightly slacker geometry would be preferable.

You'll never think of a new hybrid again.

-Kurt

Old 07-11-19, 09:45 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by chainwhip
Dont you think its because, in your gut, you know they're not really the same thing....???

Hi-Ten...vs...

Reynolds 531
It goes without saying that it would never be the same thing. I just don't get much pleasure from upright bikes, so installing drop bars would nudge my 3-speed toward being more fun.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 07-11-19 at 10:46 PM.