Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First big dose of reality after installing computer.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-17-19, 08:36 AM
runnergoneridin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll assume this comes up a lot.

Current setup is a stripped down Vilano aluminum roadbike (first bike, got it on craigslist for $25 - so I can't really complain). I've removed as much useless junk as possible. Specs are:

- Shimano Tourney 21-speed setup.

- 50t/xx/xx chainring

- Highest rear cog is a 14t

- 700c/25 front and rear tires (cheap tires and stock wheels)

- Steel front fork

- Aluminum seat post

- Steel crank arms (pressed-on square pattern)

- Weighs approx 27 lbs.

- No water bottles, nor water bottle brackets

So I've been riding this thing for a couple weeks now, and yesterday I finally put a computer on it to see where I'm at. Well, on flat'ish roadways, tucked on the down bars, I can put a lot of oompf into it and managed to only push like 25.4 mph (50t/14t), but don't have cadence numbers on that (felt like a lot lol). I can approximate it using math, but I have no factual data. I'll double check the calibration of the computer for the speed reading, but I'm assuming it's accurate the way the instructions suggest I set it up. Without detailing cadence I doubt that's useful info. But I was surprised at the numbers. I've watched and noted people maintaining 26 and 27 mph over lengthy rides, yet they may be chugging a 53t front ring and 11t rear cog for gearing. I'm in pretty decent shape, and have been distance running for years (middle distance strength training), and I'll also humbly admit that high intensity cycling isn't exactly easy. I'm willing to accept that I need to condition more towards cycling, yes.

The only other rear cog I can get for this setup is a 13t, which isn't much, but is worth a couple mph assuming equal cadence. I can actually get as gianormous as a 58t front ring lol. Lastly, I'm willing to lighten my beast up some, also - but I feel this benefits acceleration more than anything. I mean, I've got less than $100 in it so far, so i'm not complaining. Eventually I'd like to do some local races, but otherwise would like to ride faster bc speed is kinda fun.

With all this, what can I do to get more speed ? Cheers!
Old 07-17-19, 08:42 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
How long have you been riding/training?
Old 07-17-19, 08:53 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
There is a big difference comparing a solo vs group effort. Cutting through the air is much bigger factor and force at those speeds than the bikes weight. On the hills and slower speeds, the overall weight is a bigger difference. A quick fix on the equipment side maybe some better rolling efficient tires. There are no quick fixes for the "engine" side unless your fit and comfort is not right. You were not running at 25mph, you are already going a lot faster than you were before.

Last edited by u235; 07-17-19 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-17-19, 08:55 AM
runnergoneridin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
How long have you been riding/training?
Just under a few weeks, now.

Lol I'm about to get squashed - I see it coming!!

Fwiw, I'm in decent distance running shape, yet it may not really compare equally for cycling, unfortunately. I love going fast - so topping out at 25.4 mph won't cut it.
Old 07-17-19, 09:04 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by runnergoneridin
I've watched and noted people maintaining 26 and 27 mph over lengthy rides
Only very strong riders and likely not solo efforts.

15 MPH to 18 MPH average speed is more likely for most riders on solo rides more than 20 miles.

Fwiw, I'm in decent distance running shape, yet it may not really compare equally for cycling, unfortunately..
Many cyclists and runners are surprised at the level of difficulty encountered when they take up the other discipline for the first time. Fitness in one discipline does not correlate well to fitness in the other. I think you are seeing this so give it time and keep riding.

-Tim-
Old 07-17-19, 09:15 AM
runnergoneridin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH

15 MPH to 18 MPH average speed is more likely for most riders on solo rides more than 20 miles.

Many cyclists and runners are surprised at the level of difficulty encountered when they take up the other discipline for the first time. Fitness in one discipline does not correlate well to fitness in the other. I think you are seeing this so give it time and keep riding.

-Tim-
Yep those speeds were from folks that were racing. And yeah I can see your point, bc now that I think about it, it's probably kind of like how a solo time trial for a track running event may never be as strong as it would be during an actual race. The factors of adrenaline and wanting to kick butt tend to speed things up - or at the very least you have a moving target(s) to gauge off of. Makes sense!
Old 07-17-19, 09:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I'll assume this comes up a lot.

Current setup is a stripped down Vilano aluminum roadbike (first bike, got it on craigslist for $25 - so I can't really complain). I've removed as much useless junk as possible. Specs are:

- Shimano Tourney 21-speed setup.

- 50t/xx/xx chainring

- Highest rear cog is a 14t

- 700c/25 front and rear tires (cheap tires and stock wheels)

- Steel front fork

- Aluminum seat post

- Steel crank arms (pressed-on square pattern)

- Weighs approx 27 lbs.

- No water bottles, nor water bottle brackets

So I've been riding this thing for a couple weeks now, and yesterday I finally put a computer on it to see where I'm at. Well, on flat'ish roadways, tucked on the down bars, I can put a lot of oompf into it and managed to only push like 25.4 mph (50t/14t), but don't have cadence numbers on that (felt like a lot lol). I can approximate it using math, but I have no factual data. I'll double check the calibration of the computer for the speed reading, but I'm assuming it's accurate the way the instructions suggest I set it up. Without detailing cadence I doubt that's useful info. But I was surprised at the numbers. I've watched and noted people maintaining 26 and 27 mph over lengthy rides, yet they may be chugging a 53t front ring and 11t rear cog for gearing. I'm in pretty decent shape, and have been distance running for years (middle distance strength training), and I'll also humbly admit that high intensity cycling isn't exactly easy. I'm willing to accept that I need to condition more towards cycling, yes.

The only other rear cog I can get for this setup is a 13t, which isn't much, but is worth a couple mph assuming equal cadence. I can actually get as gianormous as a 58t front ring lol. Lastly, I'm willing to lighten my beast up some, also - but I feel this benefits acceleration more than anything. I mean, I've got less than $100 in it so far, so i'm not complaining. Eventually I'd like to do some local races, but otherwise would like to ride faster bc speed is kinda fun.

With all this, what can I do to get more speed ? Cheers!

If you are seeing people maintain 26-27mph over for lengthy rides, then you are seeing high amateurs or pros. Why on earth would you ever compare yourself to them?

To get to where you want- buy new wheels that will accept a cassette and that will get you a cog that is 11t or 12t small.
A 50t-12t gearing ratio will get you 30mph at 90rpm. Then go ride that for 50mi and you will reach your goal of riding as fast as the exception you reference in your post.

...or just buy the freewheel that has a 13t cog and learn how to ride better. You are clearly held back by inexperience and conditioning(cycling specific) and the only way to improve is from experience.

a 13t cog on the freewheel will get you to 27.5mph at 90rpm. Unless you can hold that for a 50mph ride, why spend more $? It wont make you faster. Learn how to climb hills(and steady inclines) faster- that will increase your average more than buying a bunch of stuff.
Old 07-17-19, 09:36 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I've watched and noted people maintaining 26 and 27 mph over lengthy rides,

I've been following some of the pro riders on the Tour de France in Strava and that's roughly their pace. For the world's top pros. Riding in a massive peloton.

Most mortals doing that pace are likely doing a TT with aero bars, or riding on a flat course, or in a paceline. Holding that speed over long distances takes a strong rider. Don't hold yourself to that, you'll get frustrated. Starting out, a 15mph average (or even less if you're in a hilly area) is probably good and build from there.

With your 50x14 gearing and 700x25c tires, 25.4mph looks to be about 91rpm cadence. That is a good average cadence for the entire ride, so if it felt really fast you could probably develop your form more to spin better. You should be able to spin up well above 100rpm although I still find my power falling off above about 110 rpm when pushing max speed.

If you are in search of top speed (I can relate) then you will want a 53x11 gear eventually. For now, just continue to develop your form and cycling fitness. When you can spin your current gearing over 30mph then I'd start worrying about a new rear cassette.
Old 07-17-19, 09:50 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Your gearing isn't holding you back so much as air is holding you back - the faster you move through the air, the harder it is to move through the air.

For example, even though there's the same 3 mph increase, the difference in power required for 14 vs 17 mph isn't a heck of a lot, but the difference between 22 vs 25 mph is significant. I mention this because, all other things equal, simply going to taller gearing isn't going to make you faster - the power requirements at a given speed are (more or less) the same regardless of gearing, but the gearing gives you freedom to find an optimal cadence for your effort.

With your 50/14, you're looking at ~90 rpm for your 25mph effort - that shouldn't be spinning-out; for a lot of people, that's an average cadence.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-17-19, 09:59 AM
runnergoneridin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So from what you guys are saying, I just need more time with the gearing I have and work into it. And the better I get at riding, the closer I'll be to optimizing my average speed with the bike the way it currently is set up. Makes sense, and is simple enough to understand.

At the very least, it seems like I'm right in line for my level of experience. For the most part I was between 16 and 19.5 mph where I was riding.

Plus, I'm not completely comfortable on the bike yet, either - I need a new seat or something, because this one sucks donkey balls.
Old 07-17-19, 10:21 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Micheal Woods is former runner. I think he had a sub 4 minute mile pace. Tejay is a former runner also, I think. They both are now World Tour riders, but it doesn’t happen overnight.
Old 07-17-19, 10:33 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
So from what you guys are saying, I just need more time with the gearing I have and work into it. And the better I get at riding, the closer I'll be to optimizing my average speed with the bike the way it currently is set up. Makes sense, and is simple enough to understand.

At the very least, it seems like I'm right in line for my level of experience. For the most part I was between 16 and 19.5 mph where I was riding.

Plus, I'm not completely comfortable on the bike yet, either - I need a new seat or something, because this one sucks donkey balls.
You need a proper training program and time on the bike. You can do this.
Old 07-17-19, 10:40 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I have personally never seen anyone, at any time, post a road ride with a 26-27mph average speed-- including Zwift. Even pro races seem to average around 25mph, and that's a peleton of 150+ of the world's best cyclists. Closed course time trial by a pro? Absolutely. Closed course criterium? Sure.

But for a recreational road rider, a ride averaging +19mph is in the top 1% of people out there.
Old 07-17-19, 10:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
I've watched and noted people maintaining 26 and 27 mph over lengthy rides,
Exactly how did you quantify this?
Old 07-17-19, 11:36 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts

For a little perspective - I rode 100 miles in 5 hours flat (20mph) 40 years ago as a racer in the best shape of my life on a pure racing bike. (Training wheels and tires but still a lot lighter and faster than most wheels out there today.) That was after years of riding, a 5000 mile post college year where I rode from Boston to and up Mt. Washington and back. Next summer I started racing. Rode 10,500 miles that year. The next I was doing rides like that 100 miler routinely. But ... you can see I didn't get there overnight. Yes, the bike helped a lot. But the bike didn't get me there. The years of riding did. Then I just needed a bike that wouldn't slow me down.

And more perspective - use this time on your current bike to observe your position on the bike. Watch others,. If you have a chance to ride with racers or other good riders, ask for their opinions on your position on the bike. Listen - to them, to your body. Getting your body in condition to ride fast and putting it in a position to do so is by far the most important thing. The bike is just a tool. Good tools are better but good tools don't make a carpenter.

I did my first year of racing on a biketha tfit me poorly. I didn't know. That year of being fast, I worked in a bike shop. The mechanic encouraged me to buy last year's best bike, still boxed up in the basement. I did. It fit. And my riding times plummeted and kept falling all that summer. But without the riding I did over the previous years on that poor fitting bike, I would not have been there. (And those times fell and speed increased riding the same gears, wheels and tires of my older bike. It wasn't that the bike was "faster". It was that it fit.

Oh, and just to show what race incentive and race conditions (a field of 120 riders) can do: that summer of the 5 hour 100 miler, I rode a 105 mile much hillier race with a very competitive field. First 30 of us averaged 26.6 mph! Race speeds are a different animal.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-17-19, 11:49 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I'm ALWAYS faster when I ride one of my bikes that doesn't have any measuring devices on it
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 07-17-19, 11:52 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
You just started riding a few weeks ago. You need to cut yourself a break. Doesn’t matter how fit you are in other disciplines. The fact that you are fit just means the gains will come quicker as long as you stick with it. Your 25mph top end is probably about right. Average speeds solo are very different than group/bunch riding where you are in a paceline and benefiting from the draft. You’ve heard of the Richter Scale? Once you start averaging over 20mph solo, each mph above that is just what that’s like effort wise.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 07-17-19, 12:00 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
For the most part I was between 16 and 19.5 mph where I was riding.
What was your average speed over the entire ride, including any climbs and descents, and how long did you ride? You do not need to answer - but this is a starting point if you're interested in getting faster, overall.

If you want to get faster on solo efforts, there is not a good substitute for training. Putting in a lot of hours and miles will raise your speed, to a point. After that, structured training is beneficial.

Riding with a group will also generally result in faster average speeds. I've had some crazy fast (for me) runs with strong groups as small as three, and with a larger group with strong riders at the front, you'll literally get sucked in and pulled along. Learn to draft and ride safely in a paceline (if you do not already), join a group, and try not to get dropped.

If you just want max speed, go bomb down some hills Some of the 5'2" wonder women I ride with have hit 50 MPH this way...
Old 07-17-19, 01:53 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

Very true. The only people pushing 27 mph solo for 20+ miles are pros or very quick amateurs who are training for time trials and using their TT bikes/all the associated gear, or people riding in very fast road races. Or maybe they're just riding with a massive tailwind and not turning around.
Old 07-17-19, 02:21 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
seeing a max speed on your computer for a stretch of road isn't an average speed for the entire ride. I don't think the OP was saying that
Old 07-17-19, 02:22 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
The bike isn't worth upgrading in any way.
Just do what is required to get it working properly and ride it.
The 50-14 high gear is not a problem and won't hold you back.
After a few months if you are still into it, and can afford it, look for another bike.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 07-17-19, 02:43 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've been running for a couple of weeks.

What shoes can I get to do a 4:10 mile, as I see some people do?
Old 07-17-19, 03:21 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Just under a few weeks, now.

Lol I'm about to get squashed - I see it coming!!

Fwiw, I'm in decent distance running shape, yet it may not really compare equally for cycling, unfortunately. I love going fast - so topping out at 25.4 mph won't cut it.
Not sure of your budget but if your bike still has stock rims look to upgrade them . That should add a couple mph increase to your speed .also when u get another bike u can switch the rims. But in general keep at it and try to increase the miles by 10 percent each week and in about 20 weeks or less you should be able to reach 30 mph not mantaining that speed but hitting it and holding it for a min or 2 is a good start.
Old 07-17-19, 03:38 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by ridingfool
in about 20 weeks or less you should be able to reach 30 mph not mantaining that speed but hitting it and holding it for a min or 2 is a good start.
Exactly. Not maintaining it, just drilling it at 30 mph for a minute or two. Try to start there.
Old 07-17-19, 04:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I've been running for a couple of weeks.

What shoes can I get to do a 4:10 mile, as I see some people do?
Merrell Trail Gloves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.