Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

shimano chain maintenance

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-06, 01:13 PM
brundle_fly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've read from one or two posters that their chains aren't supposed to be degreased because it makes them noisy,Instead just wipe down and relubed.Is this the correct method?
I have previously been using WD40 to take all the grime off and degrease.I've just put a new chain Ultegra 6600 chain on and don't want to be doing it wrong.
Old 12-05-06, 01:31 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're supposed to Thoroughly, totally, and completely de-grease chains before re-lubing.

If you don't have time to de-grease them, just wiping them off is better than leaving them grimey. Adding lube to a dirty chain is a recipe for accellerated wear. "Wiped down" isn't synonymous with "clean"
Old 12-05-06, 02:16 PM
teiaperigosa
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ax0n
Adding lube to a dirty chain is a recipe for accellerated wear. "Wiped down" isn't synonymous with "clean"
I actually think lube does well to get the grit lifted from hard to hit spots...the excess lube will loosen up some of the grit...so, I'll lube a dirty chain, then wipe down the excess...
Old 12-05-06, 03:53 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ax0n
You're supposed to Thoroughly, totally, and completely de-grease chains before re-lubing.

If you don't have time to de-grease them, just wiping them off is better than leaving them grimey. Adding lube to a dirty chain is a recipe for accellerated wear. "Wiped down" isn't synonymous with "clean"

Unless we are talking wax lubricants, the lube is actually its own solvent. There really is no appreciable difference between using a solvent that will cause the little particles to go into the nooks or using the lube itself. The stock lubricant that shimano uses is actually pretty darn good. You would do well to leave it alone as long as possible.