Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best way to carry a computer tower

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 05:31 PM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a bike with a tubus front low rider rack, and old man mountain rear rack.
I'm not sure the best way to carry a computer are. The two options I can think of are:
1). Put it on my rear rack vertically, and strap it down really tight.
2). Create some wide platform to sit on top of the rear rack, strap that down good, then strap the tower on top of that.
When i tried just strapping the tower down with it on it's side, it slid around way too much. That was using velcro, rope and bungy cords.

I like option 2 the best (if it's possible/easy enough to do), but I'm not sure the best way to go about doing it.

Any other options or ideas?
Old 12-19-09, 05:57 PM
jmichaeldesign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/wald157basket.html
Old 12-19-09, 05:59 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
LAN party, eh?

I know a guy who straps his mid-tower to a backpack frame. He built the display into the side of his case, FWIW.

If I were ever so inclined, I think I'd just pad my rack and strap it down with those ratcheting nylon straps. It's not the sort of thing I'd trust to bungees.

Then again, I prefer to move data, not devices. To each their own.
Old 12-19-09, 06:07 PM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LAN party, eh?
Haha, I wish
I need to bring a "spare parts pc" to go and fix my parent's computer (and possibly give them one of my old ones if their's toast)

I think I'd just pad my rack and strap it down with those ratcheting nylon straps
I actually bought some of those wandering around in a store today because they were on sale (66% off) and thought they might be useful. I'm going to try them later tonight and see how snug they are.
Old 12-19-09, 08:20 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AngrySaki
I have a bike with a tubus front low rider rack, and old man mountain rear rack.
I'm not sure the best way to carry a computer are. The two options I can think of are:
1). Put it on my rear rack vertically, and strap it down really tight.
2). Create some wide platform to sit on top of the rear rack, strap that down good, then strap the tower on top of that.
When i tried just strapping the tower down with it on it's side, it slid around way too much. That was using velcro, rope and bungy cords.

I like option 2 the best (if it's possible/easy enough to do), but I'm not sure the best way to go about doing it.

Any other options or ideas?
Xtracycle, or Big Dummy with a wide loader, a Trike or a Trailer.
Old 12-19-09, 08:40 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'd be inclined to use the method of carrying it on its side, but first put some high-friction material on the rack so the computer won't slide around. Wrap the rack top with some old innertubes or put down a rubber mat, then put the computer on top, and finally strap it down good and tight. Bungee cords would probably work if you're careful that they're really tight and can't slip, but the ratcheting nylon straps would be more secure.
Old 12-19-09, 09:25 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Originally Posted by prathmann
I'd be inclined to use the method of carrying it on its side, but first put some high-friction material on the rack so the computer won't slide around. Wrap the rack top with some old innertubes or put down a rubber mat, then put the computer on top, and finally strap it down good and tight. Bungee cords would probably work if you're careful that they're really tight and can't slip, but the ratcheting nylon straps would be more secure.
+1 Barring the other conveyances I mentioned in my previous post. If you have to move a pc (and can't get by with moving just data by external hard disk or thumb drive) then pad your rear rack and uses ratcheting nylon straps to hold the PC horizontally across the top of the rear rack and strap that mother down tight!
Old 12-19-09, 09:40 PM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh thanks, the friction thing makes sense. I probably wouldn't have thought of that.
Old 12-19-09, 10:52 PM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Bikes: Viking Urban Trail. Schwinn Spoiler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wrap it in a BIG bath towel then strap it securly to your rack, that should stop it sliding around.

Regards
Tom
Old 12-20-09, 05:48 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When I carry over-sized loads on my Blackburn rack, I wire on some wooden slats or plank to make the platform larger, esp wider. I have carried heavy bags of plaster with no problems.
Old 12-21-09, 11:56 AM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Computers do not like vibration and banging around. That said if it is packed so UPS could not damage it you can probably transport it on a bicycle safely. Put it in a shipping box, carry the shipping box as listed by others above. Anything else and you are depending on Luck. As you know, the lady is a fickle friend.
Old 12-21-09, 01:23 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Originally Posted by graywolf
Computers do not like vibration and banging around. That said if it is packed so UPS could not damage it you can probably transport it on a bicycle safely. Put it in a shipping box, carry the shipping box as listed by others above. Anything else and you are depending on Luck. As you know, the lady is a fickle friend.

+1 Not to mention set the PC with the motherboard side as the bottom.
Old 12-26-09, 07:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
I recommend removing the hard disk and putting that in a small backpack and wearing the backpack. Hard disks are almost always easy to remove. And it's easy to destroy them with shock.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-27-09, 11:11 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Originally Posted by noglider
I recommend removing the hard disk and putting that in a small backpack and wearing the backpack. Hard disks are almost always easy to remove. And it's easy to destroy them with shock.
That might be overkill. The killer of drives is vibration and shock while they're running. In a powered down state the heads are parked and the platters are not spinning.

I can attest that a little vibration won't kill them even when powered. I used to do GPS in my car using an old laptop mounted in my car. I'd go blasting down gravel county roads at 50 MPH hitting cattlegards and all manner of bumps and ruts with no ill effects on the drive..
Old 12-28-09, 11:18 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
That might be overkill. The killer of drives is vibration and shock while they're running. In a powered down state the heads are parked and the platters are not spinning.

I can attest that a little vibration won't kill them even when powered. I used to do GPS in my car using an old laptop mounted in my car. I'd go blasting down gravel county roads at 50 MPH hitting cattlegards and all manner of bumps and ruts with no ill effects on the drive..

It's not overkill in my view, because in nearly all cases, the value of the data far exceeds the value of the hardware. You could call it overkill if the effort is substantial, but if you have moderate mechanical ability, you can remove a hard disk in five minutes and usually less. Not spending this time seems foolhardy if you're knowingly taking a risk. Hard disk crashes are already very common. I trust that you're right that they're not likely when they're powered down. But my perspective is as an independent computer consultant, and I spend a lot of my time helping people after their hard disks crash. I'd like to do everything to (1) prevent crashes and (2) be prepared for them before they happen.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-28-09, 01:21 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Originally Posted by noglider
It's not overkill in my view, because in nearly all cases, the value of the data far exceeds the value of the hardware. You could call it overkill if the effort is substantial, but if you have moderate mechanical ability, you can remove a hard disk in five minutes and usually less. Not spending this time seems foolhardy if you're knowingly taking a risk. Hard disk crashes are already very common. I trust that you're right that they're not likely when they're powered down. But my perspective is as an independent computer consultant, and I spend a lot of my time helping people after their hard disks crash. I'd like to do everything to (1) prevent crashes and (2) be prepared for them before they happen.
And mine is as a Technician at a PC shop and as a PC Tech for a major university with over 16 years experience. We move PC on small handcarts across campus with no ill effects..
Old 12-28-09, 01:48 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The last time I needed to carry a full-sized PC on a bike, I simply tied a harness out of rope and wore it as a backpack -- a bit heavier than ideal, but it took five minutes and cost nothing. Make sure the ropes aren't hung up on any projecting buttons or other fragile parts.
Old 12-28-09, 06:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Sirrus Rider, I appreciate the depth of your experience, but I'd guess that the shocks of a bike on a potholed street are greater than those on a cart pushed at walking speed.

Old 01-25-10, 01:19 AM
Merkin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would second the suggestion to carry it on your back, either in a large backpack or via the homespun method above. It would take a lot less of a beating by using your built in natural suspension.