Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can I ride my bike through a drive-thru?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-27-11, 01:22 PM
Runner 1
Cookies!

Bikes: Red Huffy, CAAD10 Rival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm kind of in the mood for some Krispy Kreme at the moment, but being a college student all I have for transportation is my bike.

And I'm not leaving it all alone outside of a restaurant. So I was wondering if you think they'd let me go through the drive-thru? I mean, a bike's considered a vehicle in every other respect, right?
Old 09-27-11, 01:25 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You can ride it through, but they won't serve you. You're a college kid. Take the bike inside with you.
Likes For PhotoJoe:
Old 09-27-11, 01:25 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Some places will, but a lot won't as they consider you a walk up (which is what you'll actually be doing).
Old 09-27-11, 01:27 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Depends on the drive through. I've thrown **** at the window at Jack in the Box when they have refused to serve me in the middle of the night when there are no other cars in the lane. McDonalds used to, and the Dunkin Donuts by my house always does.

I haven't had fast food in ages, but the Dunkin coffee runs are always successful.
Old 09-27-11, 01:28 PM
mashtofu
(*^-^)v

Bikes: EAI Toyo Gojira (Godzilla)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Some places will, but a lot won't as they consider you a walk up (which is what you'll actually be doing).
This.

I think it's stupid that they consider cyclists "walk-ups," though, seeing as we're treated no differently than motorists in the eyes of the law. But, in reality, most drive-thru's will not serve you. I got them to make an exception once by crying and holding up the line.
Old 09-27-11, 01:28 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 153 Posts
Another vote for taking it inside with you, but why are you worried about someone taking your bicycle? (Krispy Kreme, remember?)

Old 09-27-11, 01:33 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Another vote for taking it inside with you, but why are you worried about someone taking your bicycle? (Krispy Kreme, remember?)
While I understand the joke, I'm sure it's not customers he is worried about. Would I leave my bike unattended in front of a business? NO!
Old 09-27-11, 01:36 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicelord
Depends on the drive through. I've thrown **** at the window at Jack in the Box when they have refused to serve me in the middle of the night when there are no other cars in the lane. McDonalds used to, and the Dunkin Donuts by my house always does.

I haven't had fast food in ages, but the Dunkin coffee runs are always successful.

Dude, you really have serious issues.
Old 09-27-11, 01:38 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
not really. It's obnoxious when the inside is closed and they will only serve cars at the drive through. It's like saying if you don't happen to be driving/own a car, you aren't allowed to eat there. It could be deemed as discrimintory either you can only eat there if you are a car driver, or a fatty.
Likes For Vicelord:
Old 09-27-11, 01:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Maybe. Only one way to find out. Take it into the 'restaurant' with you if they give you a problem.

Originally Posted by mashtofu
This.
Do you really mash to eff me? I know I'm sexy, but you don't want to injure your knees. Spin at high cadence.

Sorry. I'm recycling a joke. This license plate was just banned for vulgarity:

Old 09-27-11, 01:45 PM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most places I've done this at haven't given me any problems. A little while back, I would go by Del Taco every day I worked mornings because I forgot to eat.
Old 09-27-11, 01:47 PM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to go through on my motorcycle all the time, but I think that may be considered more of a vehicle? Either way, just make something at home!
Old 09-27-11, 01:47 PM
steve_wmn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
not really. It's obnoxious when the inside is closed and they will only serve cars at the drive through. It's like saying if you don't happen to be driving/own a car, you aren't allowed to eat there. It could be deemed as discrimintory either you can only eat there if you are a car driver, or a fatty.
It's a security issue with most drive-throughs. In a car you're at arm's reach since you wouldn't want to scrape your car or lose a mirror to get any closer. Walk-ups or cyclists can get right up to the window and grab some cash from the register that is right there too, or otherwise threaten the server a bit easier.
Likes For steve_wmn:
Old 09-27-11, 01:51 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Oh no Runner1, not you too.
Old 09-27-11, 01:53 PM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by steve_wmn
It's a security issue with most drive-throughs.
Yet most drive-through restaurants aren't the least bit concerned about how secure their food is for our bodies.
Likes For spock:
Old 09-27-11, 01:56 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
I understand the irritation of not being served and the consequent perception of its stupidity. But I was addressing the fact that you throw stuff at the window because of your irritation.

You fail to see the fault in the action you take just because you think the other party is "obnoxious". That in itself is an issue.

I wonder what the security guy in Circle K would have done if he sees you doing this kind of dickbaggery at that Jack-in-the-Box...even if it is after a recovery ride
Old 09-27-11, 01:58 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
He has a point. It irks me as well although it's not work getting mad over - other than I will refuse to ever patronize a business that has ever refused me, for any reason.

I'd consider any business which would serve motorcycles but refuse bicyclists to be discriminating.
Old 09-27-11, 02:02 PM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Solution, get a FG and do a track stand the whole time!
Old 09-27-11, 02:12 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I believe it's an liability/insurance thing. They don't want pedestrians/cyclists getting hit by a car in the drive-through, so they have rules against serving pedestrians at the drivethru window.

I've always just taken my bike into the place. Rarely have I been kicked out or asked to take the bike outside.
Old 09-27-11, 02:14 PM
max5480
Rhythm is rhythm

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you guys are missing the big issue here!!
This guy wants a donut. Give that **** up, go to the store, and buy some ****ing broccoli.

BTW, I ride through the drive through bank line all the time no problems.
Likes For max5480:
triggerracing
The Mississippi Flash

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock MB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I never thought there would be an issue going through a drive thru, but since it seems to be a problem is some areas, I guess you'll just have to try it and see if it works
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by steve_wmn
It's a security issue with most drive-throughs. In a car you're at arm's reach since you wouldn't want to scrape your car or lose a mirror to get any closer. Walk-ups or cyclists can get right up to the window and grab some cash from the register that is right there too, or otherwise threaten the server a bit easier.
And somehow the server is supposed to be immune from being grabbed or otherwise threatened when he tells the walk-up that he won't be served?
The places that have refused to serve me when I ride up have done so while talking to me right at the open window. If I had planned to threaten them or hold them up I could have done so just as easily while they were explaining their policy as if they had just gone ahead and filled my order.

The other reason frequently given is that it's due to an insurance company rule to protect against liability if the cyclist gets hit by a car behind them. Also doesn't make much sense since 1) I could still be hit while being told that I won't be served, 2) if I were hit then I'd collect from the motorist - not from the innocent business, and 3) when the LAB investigated this claim years ago they checked with the insurance carriers of all the chains that had such anti-cyclist policies - none of the insurance carriers imposed any restrictions on cyclists using the drive-through.
Likes For prathmann:
Old 09-27-11, 02:19 PM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Krispy Kreme? Sure, take your bike through the drive-thru. Tell them Homer says hi...
Old 09-27-11, 02:22 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
1) I could still be hit while being told that I won't be served, TRUE
2) if I were hit then I'd collect from the motorist - not from the innocent business You are obviously not an attorney. They (especially personal injury) go after ANYONE, the deeper the pockets the better. While YOU may not intend to go after the "innocent business", an attorney absolutely would on grounds of "not protecting the cyclist" or something stupid like that.
-----
Old 09-27-11, 02:24 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
He has a point. It irks me as well although it's not work getting mad over - other than I will refuse to ever patronize a business that has ever refused me, for any reason.

I'd consider any business which would serve motorcycles but refuse bicyclists to be discriminating.
Sure. But the 17 year old kid standing behind the glass he's throwing stuff at is doing what he was told and trying not to get fired. Since we're talking about fast food, that kid probably doesn't even know what discrimination means.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.