Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can I ride my bike through a drive-thru?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Can I ride my bike through a drive-thru?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 05:07 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No problems at the local credit union, Walgreens, Jimmy John's, Taco John's and McDonalds here so far.
Old 09-27-11, 09:18 PM
thcri

Bikes: Trek 820 Madone 6.2. Trek 2.1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the order spot make a motor noise. They might think you are in a car
Old 09-27-11, 09:38 PM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK Runner1, screw you. I now want Krispy Kreme. The Krispy Kreme place here in Seattle is all the way down in SoDo though so screw that.
Old 09-28-11, 12:45 AM
Runner 1
Cookies!

Bikes: Red Huffy, CAAD10 Rival

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nhluhr
OK Runner1, screw you. I now want Krispy Kreme. The Krispy Kreme place here in Seattle is all the way down in SoDo though so screw that.

Just an update -- I did get some Krispy Kreme (a dozen). And man were they delicious Unfortunately, I was unable to eat them all in one sitting this time.
Old 09-28-11, 01:01 AM
mashtofu
(*^-^)v

Bikes: EAI Toyo Gojira (Godzilla)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Maybe. Only one way to find out. Take it into the 'restaurant' with you if they give you a problem.

Do you really mash to eff me? I know I'm sexy, but you don't want to injure your knees. Spin at high cadence.

Sorry. I'm recycling a joke. This license plate was just banned for vulgarity:

Haha, thanks for sharing that. I had a good laugh.

Oh and Runner1- congrats!!
Old 06-26-19, 12:54 PM
yeahok

Bikes: Mountain

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flanso
The Walgreens near me has no bike rack and refused to wait on me when I rode up to the drive-up window.
I just had this happen to me today- at a chain pharmacy. It seems like this could be against the ADA.
Old 06-26-19, 01:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
This all varies from place to place, and business to business.

Many of the coffee kiosks are drive-up only. And, will serve anybody that comes up to the drive-up window. If they wish for a customer to go to a different window, they'll just say so, but most don't really have a walkup window, or don't use it regularly.

I've encountered the drive-up restrictions in Portland. There was a Wendy's within walking distance of my house. After a long day's work, I walked down to the Wendy's. Lobby closed. And, they refused to sell to me. I certainly didn't walk back home to get my car and drive to their drive-up, and I never went back there, day or night. It seems like the stupidest thing to refuse to serve their local customers. The restaurant is now out of business.

However, Portland has new legislation prohibiting drive-ups from refusing to serve bicycles and pedestrians during extended hours when their lobby is closed.

https://www.oregonlive.com/roadrepor...alk_throu.html
https://www.wweek.com/news/2018/05/3...to-the-window/

It doesn't specify that they have to serve bicycles outside during the day, but I have to wonder if some places are adopting more bike friendly policies.

I do a lot of cargo cycling, and it isn't convenient to drag my bicycle and trailer inside everywhere I go. And, if I don't need a lock, then I won't bring it with me. So.. stop at Dairy Queen a couple of years ago, no service, and I left and haven't been back.

Safety?
Is a drive-up any less safe than the roads one is riding on to get there?
Old 06-26-19, 02:30 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Likes For banerjek:
Old 06-26-19, 02:36 PM
CliffordK

Old thread or not, it is an issue that continues to plague cyclists.

Safety?

Just like hot coffee is a safety issue?

Oh, and how quick are businesses to deny liability when a bike gets stolen on their property?
Old 06-26-19, 03:24 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
This all varies from place to place, and business to business.
Used a Burger King drive through 30+ years ago on a bike (didn't even have DL yet).

But practical question - when you order at the microphone, can they tell you're on a bike? Once you get to the window, the food is already bagged - seems like a waste of food to refuse to give it to you and take your money.
Old 06-26-19, 03:28 PM
yeahok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cliff- fascinating! As much as I prefer not new laws, we could use that law here in Pennsylvania. It is also a class issue. Not everyone can afford a car.

I sent a complaint to corporate HQ. Basically I told them my family spends 100s $ a months on rxs and we might select a different pharmacy. They had a close door- but they canceled it- one has to walk the entire store to get to the counter. They do not offer delivery... the other place does. I do own a car, and I can see me broke down at the window... tho it isnt worth my time.

Even tho this is a small town- we have an official bike lane. Many use a bike for recreation, I use it for errands. Every time I can bike, I am not feeding the big oil. Ponder this.. people pay for a gym, but drive to the gym. In my mind, yard work IS my exercise.

This big chain pharmacy- bought out many of the mom and pops over the years.... they act like they own the market share. I went to them because I could check online if rx is ready.... I may switch for a while. I also hate that they fill rxs that I do not need. They just automatically fill rxs... I see no point in getting a refill if I did not use up the prior one. Even when I adjust the settings so it isnt auto refill- somehow it burps and fills them.

.....I guess the new motto is the customer is never right.
Old 06-26-19, 03:41 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by drewguy
Used a Burger King drive through 30+ years ago on a bike (didn't even have DL yet).

But practical question - when you order at the microphone, can they tell you're on a bike? Once you get to the window, the food is already bagged - seems like a waste of food to refuse to give it to you and take your money.
They have cameras everywhere.

Many of the microphones don't have a call button, so they may well let you sit there for a half hour while cars back up behind.

Then when you finely get tired of waiting, and go up and knock on the window, they tell you to go away.

Safety? The cyclist is already in the line when told one doesn't get served, and the employee likely has already opened the window to tell the cyclist to move on.
Old 06-26-19, 03:49 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by yeahok
This big chain pharmacy- bought out many of the mom and pops over the years.... they act like they own the market share.
I rarely buy prescription drugs. I went to pick up a prescription at a small-town pharmacy (department store) for an acquaintance. I don't think they had a drive-up, but had an outside walk-up window which was convenient as I didn't want to go into the store.

I'm not quite sure how a drive-through pharmacy works (although I've seen them). My experience is that pharmacies work at a snails pace, and the typical response is to drop of the prescription, and come back in 15 minutes to a half hour. Nonetheless, the outside drop-off/pick-up was handy.
Old 06-26-19, 04:01 PM
yeahok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually they want a few hours to get an RX ready, unless you are waiting in the waiting room. I avoid that... , I dont like to wait, and there are plenty of germs there.
Old 06-26-19, 04:08 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by yeahok
and there are plenty of germs there.
If "safety" is an issue, point out that cycling is "healthy".
And, outside, you're less likely to be coughed on.
Old 06-26-19, 04:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Depends. Do you have a thru axle?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-26-19, 08:54 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
I went through McDonald's a couple of times, no problem. OTOH, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have let me bring my bike inside with me.
Old 06-29-19, 10:27 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

I guess I don't get it. Drive thrus make little enough sense with cars, and eating/drinking/transporting drive thru food on a bike makes even less sense.

Add in that most of the stuff you can get buy that way is overpriced garbage that you can do as better, faster (factoring in travel time), and cheaper, can't say I've even vaguely been tempted to use one.
Old 06-29-19, 11:10 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by banerjek
I guess I don't get it. Drive thrus make little enough sense with cars, and eating/drinking/transporting drive thru food on a bike makes even less sense.

Add in that most of the stuff you can get buy that way is overpriced garbage that you can do as better, faster (factoring in travel time), and cheaper, can't say I've even vaguely been tempted to use one.
I'd rather be outside in the summer than cooped up inside some stuffy fast food joint, especially if I'm hot and sweaty, and dripping sweat everywhere.

Some of the fast food restaurants have outside seating, but not outside serving.

Security is a far greater problem to cyclists than to drivers, where cyclists are regularly robbed of their entire vehicle, or valuables removed from it.
Old 06-29-19, 11:39 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

I'd rather be outside in the summer than cooped up inside some stuffy fast food joint, especially if I'm hot and sweaty, and dripping sweat everywhere.

Some of the fast food restaurants have outside seating, but not outside serving.

Security is a far greater problem to cyclists than to drivers, where cyclists are regularly robbed of their entire vehicle, or valuables removed from it.

The security thing is a true drag -- in a metro area, anything that can be removed will be, and quickly. But utility travel inevitably requires being set up to stop -- i.e. bike is prestripped and secure enough for the specific circumstances. I suspect that's partly why SS and FG are so popular in these areas.

I don't do drive thrus or fast food, but I occasionally do brewpubs with outdoor seating that require ordering at the counter. I've never had a problem just putting the bike in the eating area, asking nicely helps. It's safe enough where it's inconvenient for someone to toss it in the back of a truck and you can see it while you run in to place a quick order. If you want more security, you can pull the front wheel so it can't be ridden away.

Dealing with Willamette Valley heat is a problem on par with working through SoCal cold or hills in Ohio
Old 06-29-19, 12:55 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by banerjek
Dealing with Willamette Valley heat is a problem on par with working through SoCal cold or hills in Ohio
Cycling can still lead to sweating even in mild temps, and it does get hot every once in a while. And, I dislike leaving big sweat spots on anything I touch, or anywhere I sit. One of the reasons I stopped carrying my wallet in my pocket... which leads to other problems as some stores insist on singling out cyclists to take their "purse" and valuables.
Old 06-29-19, 03:10 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
They have some drive through nature presevers in Africa that might be fun. Only there YOU are the crispy cream desert.

One thing's for sure, Your sprint times will improve.
Old 06-29-19, 03:37 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Safety?
A person or group of people can easily stick a gun in their face and demand they empty the cash register into a togo bag. Not a problem with people in cars, or even MCs, as the time it takes to open a door (or drop the side stand and step off a MC) gives them plenty of time to simply close the window and tell the driver to return to their car.
Old 06-29-19, 04:26 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by sfrider
A person or group of people can easily stick a gun in their face and demand they empty the cash register into a togo bag. Not a problem with people in cars, or even MCs, as the time it takes to open a door (or drop the side stand and step off a MC) gives them plenty of time to simply close the window and tell the driver to return to their car.
I don't believe the local restaurants have bullet proof glass. So, closing a window would only slow a person down slightly, and do nothing to protect the employees.

I believe that stolen cars are used frequently enough in crimes that a claim of ID from a car is only a minor aspect of security.

Do the companies have cameras of the driveway area, and monitor it? One could always have an accomplice waiting until the change drawer is open and the the person is interacting with the "customer" to walk up beside the car. Then snag the money, and hop back in the car and take off.

It is easy enough to stand up in some cars with sunroofs, T-Tops or convertibles, even without opening the door and getting out. Doing a "Dukes of Hazard" entry?

In many cases, the employees will open the window for a cyclist or pedestrian to tell them to go away. So, they already have the window open.

In many neighborhoods, one also has to be realistic about the risk of armed robbery, and whether refusing to serve certain customers actually is a risk reduction.

In the end, any employee safety issue is really stretching it. And, customer safety is stretching it even more.

Hopefully the restaurants take full liability for any customer property stolen or damaged due to their policies.
Old 07-02-19, 04:31 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by drewguy

Many places have mirrors and/or cameras, though I doubt people actually look at them. But you make a good point -- gonna remember this the next time I want to take my bike through a tunnel wash as you typically pay with credit card before you get to it.

This thread reminds me of one that appeared some years back.

Last edited by banerjek; 07-02-19 at 04:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.