Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thinking about putting a kickstand on my Surly -- pitfalls?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 05:34 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Other than the obvious pitfall of actually putting a kickstand on my bike.

Honestly though I could get use out of one, and I like the one on my wife's bike (with the actual plate on there). My LBS has a lot of those green.....something or other brands that are cheap but functional.

On a surly LHT or other bike without a plate - do you guys just use gentle torque and wrap an old tube around the chainstays? Any great ideas for how to do this properly?

I know that I don't want to crush my stays --
Old 11-04-10, 05:55 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I put a rear mount stand on my Surly. It clamps around the seat and chain stays and has vinyl padding to protect the paint. They're a little more money but won't damage the finish and are easy enough to remove.
Old 11-04-10, 06:31 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
No issues with the extra spoke holder getting in the way?
Old 11-04-10, 06:51 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TurbineBlade
Other than the obvious pitfall of actually putting a kickstand on my bike.

Honestly though I could get use out of one, and I like the one on my wife's bike (with the actual plate on there). My LBS has a lot of those green.....something or other brands that are cheap but functional.

On a surly LHT or other bike without a plate - do you guys just use gentle torque and wrap an old tube around the chainstays? Any great ideas for how to do this properly?

I know that I don't want to crush my stays --
Have you read Surly's take on the idea? : https://surlybikes.com/blog/spew/kick...haul_truckers/
Old 11-04-10, 07:11 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Jam a couple of corks about 3" down your stays and pack the stays with JB weld or a similar product. It will make your stays uncrushable. I've done it and it works.
Old 11-04-10, 07:21 AM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mulveyr
Have you read Surly's take on the idea? : https://surlybikes.com/blog/spew/kick...haul_truckers/
Yes and I think it's bizarre. I'd understand it if the LHT was a light weight racing bike, but I don't get it for a bike that so many people use for a utility and commuting bike. I mean, they did name it "Trucker" after all, and then they get all sensitive about people putting kickstands on it. I don't get it.

Last edited by z90; 11-04-10 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-04-10, 07:23 AM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just re-read their blog. Either they've toned it down about since I first read it, or my memory was faulty. I suspect the latter. Even so, I think they ought to build the frame to make it easier to put a kickstand on it. At least move or get rid of the spoke holder thing. That said, I love my LHT.
Old 11-04-10, 07:46 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I love mine as well -- best bike I've ever owned by far. I rear the Surly website take on it and was kind of dumbfounded by the notion that the use of a kickstand in no way figured into their frame design.... stupid for a company that specializes in practical, reasonably-priced steel frames built for durable use.

That said, I may still try it and just attempt not to apply too much torque during installation.
Jam a couple of corks about 3" down your stays and pack the stays with JB weld or a similar product. It will make your stays uncrushable. I've done it and it works.
Huh? I've never heard of anyone doing this. Not that I don't think it'll work, it just sounds crazy .
Old 11-04-10, 09:05 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
It is crazy, but it works. I needed to put a Pletscher 2 leg stand on my shopping bike, but I didn't want to squash the Reynolds 531 stays.
Old 11-04-10, 09:50 AM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
i've got a pletscher bipod with the "deluxe" topplate on my lht. No problems, thus far. I think that Surly was kind of foolish for not putting a kickstand plate on the lht and the big dummy (maybe they did, on the big dummy, neber saw one in-person), as these are bikes designed to carry a load. you don't want to lay your loaded touring rig downm on the ground, leastways not whilst loaded. Give us a plate, so you don't get so many emails, surly!

=rob
Old 11-04-10, 10:12 AM
Comtour

Bikes: Surly LHT, Cannondale Hybrid, Raleigh Supercourse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe you should consider a Clickstand https://www.click-stand.com/.

They even have a picture of the LHT. Of course, you will need to carry it with you.
Old 11-04-10, 11:12 AM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Comtour
Maybe you should consider a Clickstand https://www.click-stand.com/.

They even have a picture of the LHT. Of course, you will need to carry it with you.
The Click-stand does seem like a nice lightweight solution. You just have to hope that someone doesn't accidentally kick the click-stand (or decide to steal it) when they are locking their bike up next to yours!
Old 11-04-10, 11:24 AM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't used a kickstand since I was a kid, but my wife's bike has one. I stopped using them because of the usual reasons: weight and lack of stability. I wasn't as concerned about how they look. When I ride my wife's bike I'm actually surprised at how useful the kickstand is. It can add to the stability when you lock your bike to a rack or meter when you position it correctly.

I'm actually thinking about adding a Pletscher Twin-leg kickstand to my Rivendell Atlantis. I'm always careful about how much I tighten any clamp around a frame tube, but Rivendell does not post any warnings against using kickstands on their frames. They just suggest using some cloth tape around the chainstays if your frame doesn't have a kickstand plate.

This site has a deluxe top plate for bikes without plates, and it shows a Surly in the example:
https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/accessories/pletscher.htm
Old 11-04-10, 11:49 AM
Comtour

Bikes: Surly LHT, Cannondale Hybrid, Raleigh Supercourse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't found that to be a problem. When locking up the bike, I am locking it to something that can support the bike and the stand is not so important then anyway.
Old 11-04-10, 03:54 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
The disadvantaage of a kick-stand is if the bike falls over it falls on the der. side taking a chance of bending the hanger or worse.
I use a rubber band or a velcro strap to lock the brake on the front wheel and this keeps the bike from moving and falling over. You still need something to lean it on.