Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Should I get a 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er II

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-16, 05:48 PM
Bu11dog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I am very new to MTB. About one month ago, I took a REI MTB introduction class and now I am hooked. I really want to own a full suspension mountain bike so I can check out local MTB trails.

Just found a 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er II for around $1K and the bike is in excellent condition. The bike is 5 years old and as technology improving, I am sure it is out dated. However, since I am so new to MTB, I think it will be a great first MTB. What do you all think? Should I take it or buy a brand new bike from BikeDirect that is a little more expensive like $1.5K?

Thank you so much!
Old 11-17-16, 07:43 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Anthem is a great bike, and it is a much better suspension design than anything Bikesdirect sells.

Unless it is really beat up, and assuming the parts on it are close to the original spec. I would say yes, it is better to get that bike than something from Bikesdirect.
Old 11-18-16, 05:57 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenK
The Anthem is a great bike, and it is a much better suspension design than anything Bikesdirect sells.

Unless it is really beat up, and assuming the parts on it are close to the original spec. I would say yes, it is better to get that bike than something from Bikesdirect.
I would disagree with the BikesDirect part. The new HAL5/HAL6 linkage design is a good four-bar linkage, and probably just as good as a Maestro link bike. Parts wise, BikesDirect tend to be good value, although some components can be the previous generation.

Having said that, the Anthem 29 is an excellent bike and extremely capable. The main downside to used mountain bikes is that they may need some maintenance. Unlike road bikes, the suspension components (forks/shocks/pivots) all age, and benefit from a periodic refresh, regardless of usage. If you're mechanically inclined, there's nothing difficult, mostly take apart and clean/lube. Most likely you could ride it for another 1-3 years before needing to do anything, but it will require service eventually.

Comparing a HAL6 Expert to a 2012 Anthem 2 the components are basically equivalent. Geometry-wise, the HAL6 has a slacker head-tube, so probably better for down-hill. The Anthem 29 is better suited to rolling terrain and climbs as opposed to bombing downhills. From a practical perspective, these are subtle differences, as both will be extremely capable.

The biggest thing with a used mountain bike is to evaluate the suspension components. If any of the components are wobbly, walk away, they're probably shot (or close to it). If things creak and squeak, that means that they're probably over due for maintenance.
Old 11-18-16, 09:23 PM
FrozenK

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I disagree. That Hal bike looks like yet another generic catalog frame. Based on what BD has done until now, that is the most likely scenario. It isn't on Kinesis website, so probably a different supplier.

Maestro is a really good suspension system that Giant has been developing since 2005. I have ridden Maestro bikes -wife owns one- and the suspension is a great performer.
Old 11-19-16, 08:32 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I rode a BikesDirect full squish, the proud new owner was In love with that bike, was happy with it...

We swapped, he on my Scott Spark Full Squish, me on his,,,tank...

Was the heaviest feeling bike I've ever been on, suspension was ok, the gears were awful, the thing was just too heavy,, for what he paid, mech brakes and all he got what he paid for...

He made no comment on my Spark especially after he found out how little It cost me when new, compared to his BD bike.....

Now onto that 2011 mountain bike, the Giant...
IF it was well cared for and kept up with replacing chains and cassettes as needed and rebuilding forks and shocks, IF things were adjusted properly and the head set kept in adjustment,,,,AND YOU, OP are sharp enough to determine these things,,buy It...

Should be real cheap being that old,,,,

Riding with a slightly loose head set can oval out the neck of the frame, making that frame garage wall art..
easily temporarily hidden by slightly over tightening It,,,can you tell ?

Has the used bike seen big air ? Can you tell ? Cracks painted over In the chain stay,,, hidden by new frame protectors?

Do you know and trust the owner ?

You Said, "I am sure it is out dated. However, since I am so new to MTB, I think it will be a great first MTB. What do you all think?"

I think you be better served by spending about $800 or $900 on a new hard tail with wet brakes, a rockshox or fox fork and all new parts sold and supported By your LOCAL BIKE SHOP !

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-19-16, 09:06 AM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Osco sounds like you are comparing your spark to a $600 full suspension bike from bikesdirect which would be crap from anybody. Nothing that cost more than that will come with mechanical brakes anymore. I'm not big on BD's full suspension bikes either but their new HAL6 line is their most up to date looking and is pretty impressive.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tain-bikes.htm
That is a lot of bike for $1600. Their $2k version looks even better.

Anyway a new rider doesn't need a 150mm+ travel bike and the Giant is a great bike.
Old 11-19-16, 03:11 PM
gsa103

Originally Posted by FrozenK
I disagree. That Hal bike looks like yet another generic catalog frame. Based on what BD has done until now, that is the most likely scenario. It isn't on Kinesis website, so probably a different supplier.

Maestro is a really good suspension system that Giant has been developing since 2005. I have ridden Maestro bikes -wife owns one- and the suspension is a great performer.
I'm sure it's a fairly generic frame. But the Specialized FSR patent expired about 3 years ago, so just because it's generic doesn't mean it can't have a sophisticated linkage design. They're using the same shocks as everyone else.

Basically, everyone has converged on a few successful suspension designs, Horst link (FSR, etc), VPP/DW-Link (Santa Cruz, Giant, etc). Trek's ABP design is essentially an FSR with concentric pivot. Yeti is the main exception, with Switch Infinity. Within that design space, there's a fair bit tuning over the leverage curve, but that can be done in an Excel spreadsheet. I would guess that the HAL linkage take a very middle of the road leverage curve, since it's probably a generic design. The HAL bikes get good buyer reviews, but don't get reviewed by major publications. Will it be the best bike, unlikely, but for the money they're excellent value.

Back to the OP's case, I'd probably buy the Giant and bank the ~$500 to use on service and upgrades/accessories (dropper post, pads). If the OP is comfortable doing some of his own work then it's a solid value. If the OP is going to need a LBS to do everything, then buying new suddenly becomes a much better value (suspension &shock service typically runs ~$200).
Old 11-19-16, 06:39 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Originally Posted by Canker
Osco sounds like you are comparing your spark to a $600 full suspension bike from bikesdirect which would be crap from anybody. Nothing that cost more than that will come with mechanical brakes anymore. I'm not big on BD's full suspension bikes either but their new HAL6 line is their most up to date looking and is pretty impressive.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tain-bikes.htm
That is a lot of bike for $1600. Their $2k version looks even better.

Anyway a new rider doesn't need a 150mm+ travel bike and the Giant is a great bike.
Yeah after a better look your right, but still i bet Its a heavy tank. Got some good things on it,, the m8000,,yeah man but I see some not so good stuff,,,Ok for $1600 ok ok I'd bite but the INSULT Is calling that bike a $3999.00 bike then marking It down to whats Its worth...
All I can go by Is what I've seen first hand and ridden, In all three cases the bikes direct bike was marked up then mark down and They never were a deal.

My next door neighbor got himself a $3,000 Jamis full squish for $1,000, and It hangs on his garage wall....
Mech brakes, 26" wheels that won't go tubeless no matter how hard he tried.
Cheap seat, head set, handlebars, shifters, front and rear derailleurs, wheels, All these things you'd expect on a $500 hard tail or a $379 Big Box sporting goods store bike.

I rode the thing,,once,,

Oh wait ! It had a low end rockshox and the rear shock had a spring wrapped around it,,bouncy thing that was..

I know a guy who got a $750 Hard Tail fat bike with a 2x10 and a Bluto fork from Bikes Direct,,
I looked It up and sure enough, the add was typical,, calling the bike a $1799 bike ALL FOR $750,,,
That fat bike was a Nice bike, worth every penny of the $750 but not even close to a $1799 bike..

I must stop commenting on Bikes direct bikes,, I have only seen four In person and the fat bike was the only one that I felt the customer got what he paid for,, the other three bikes,,, well..

Last edited by osco53; 11-19-16 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-19-16, 07:05 PM
gsa103

Originally Posted by osco53
That fat bike was a Nice bike, worth every penny of the $750 but not even close to a $1799 bike..
That's the trick with BD, ignore the "compare at" price. The sale price is the real price, and they're usually decent value. Though some/most of their cheaper models can be real duds. There's no such thing as a free lunch applies here.
Old 11-19-16, 07:32 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Jamis is NOT a bikesdirect brand. Why are you even talking about Jamis? Jamis is a legit sold in bike shops brand. If your buddy actually bought one off bikesdirect then it was one of their every now and again buy up a bunch of somebody's over stock left overs and then sell it cheap deals. On really rare occasions I've seen them do that. Everybody already knows their "compare at" prices are BS but that doesn't make their bikes bad and they are still cheap compared the LBS equivalent. And of coarse the HAL6 is going to be heavy. It is a 150mm travel enduro full suspension bike, all of them are heavy unless you spend serious money and get carbon everything.

Last edited by Canker; 11-19-16 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-20-16, 05:02 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

"Jamis is NOT a bikesdirect brand." That's what I thought,,,, I was surprised he got It from BD

"Jamis is a legit sold in bike shops brand." Again, That's what I thought but that one single Jamis from BD led me to believe
Jamis was a Discount BD type bike of poor quality with poor parts spec. It Is the only one I have ever seen.

""over stock left overs and then sell it cheap"" This is most likely what It was, Jamis was dumping the 26" bikes as 29'ers were the new In thing at the time with 27.5 just starting to surface in the MBA magazine...

OP, sorry for getting so far off track,,

As gsa103 said:
""Back to the OP's case, I'd probably buy the Giant and bank the ~$500 to use on service and upgrades/accessories (dropper post, pads). If the OP is comfortable doing some of his own work then it's a solid value. If the OP is going to need a LBS to do everything, then buying new suddenly becomes a much better value (suspension &shock service typically runs ~$200).""
This IMHO Is your best advice ..

I cannot stress this enough, If your relatively new to MTB'ing you will really need the support of a local bike shop that has riders working there and you will often hook up with customers who like to help out new people in the field.

The thing you will come to value the most Is the knowledge base a LBS can share with you on all things bike, trail and gear wise.

Last edited by osco53; 11-20-16 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-20-16, 04:21 PM
Bu11dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thank you all for responding to my question. I really appreciate it!

So here is the update. The 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er II was a great bike and it is in excellent condition. However, after researching and talking with my riding friends, I need a trail bike than a XC bike. I will ride mostly with friend in Duthie Hill Park.

In the end I deiced to purchase a Charge Cooker 3 27.5+ from REI. Mostly for it new 27.5+ tire. I will stay with hard-tail as my first MTB and continue researching and saving money for a FS MTB in the future.
Old 11-21-16, 06:39 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you are unsure of the condition of the anthem, and still want full suspension, check around Giant dealers, you might find a 2015 or 2016 leftover Giant Stance for about $1000. They are single pivot rear suspension, but still a very nice bike to start on, that is what I ride.
Old 11-21-16, 08:49 AM
gsa103

Originally Posted by Bu11dog
In the end I deiced to purchase a Charge Cooker 3 27.5+ from REI. Mostly for it new 27.5+ tire. I will stay with hard-tail as my first MTB and continue researching and saving money for a FS MTB in the future.
That seems like an excellent decision. That bike has an excellent component spec. The 27.5+ tires should help take the edge off things, even without full suspension.

The main thing you need to get is a good tire pressure gauge, ideally something for 0-30psi, that can clearly read 0.1psi increments. Optimum riding pressure is likely in the 10-20 psi range (depending on weight). Run the front ~3psi lower than the rear.

Changing the pressure by 1-2psi can make a HUGE difference in the ride quality. Be sure to experiment. General rule, keep going lower until it feels very sluggish or you get pinch flats.
Old 11-21-16, 02:51 PM
Bu11dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks hig4s. I did try a 2016 Giant Stance which has a clearing price of $1100 in my local bike shop. Great bike, really reminded me the Ghost FS 7 during REI MTB class.

Originally Posted by hig4s
If you are unsure of the condition of the anthem, and still want full suspension, check around Giant dealers, you might find a 2015 or 2016 leftover Giant Stance for about $1000. They are single pivot rear suspension, but still a very nice bike to start on, that is what I ride.
Old 11-21-16, 02:53 PM
Bu11dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you gsa103 for the great tips. I will definitely give them a try. I am very excited to get the Charge Cooker 3. The 27.5+ tires will definitely give me the confidence and fun to enjoy this new sport.

Originally Posted by gsa103
That seems like an excellent decision. That bike has an excellent component spec. The 27.5+ tires should help take the edge off things, even without full suspension.

The main thing you need to get is a good tire pressure gauge, ideally something for 0-30psi, that can clearly read 0.1psi increments. Optimum riding pressure is likely in the 10-20 psi range (depending on weight). Run the front ~3psi lower than the rear.

Changing the pressure by 1-2psi can make a HUGE difference in the ride quality. Be sure to experiment. General rule, keep going lower until it feels very sluggish or you get pinch flats.
Old 11-22-16, 07:22 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Very wise,
Things I was told and found to be true for me,

Hard Tails teach, A hard tail should always be your first bike.
Hard tails require more from the rider, more skills and better physical conditioning.
It takes this to get more out of a hard tail.

Full Suspension without a developed skill set can hurt you, Think Ejection seat
Full Suspension is faster on the hardest trails but works you more on the climbs.
Races are won on the climbs.
Full squish is more versatile, can help you get out of tight spots and help you stay upright when you make a mistake.

You fill your skills bag on a hard tail and you will get more out of a full smash as a second bike.

I am back on a hard tail and not missing my full suspension at all...
Odd right ?
Old 11-22-16, 11:58 AM
Bu11dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks osco53!

I am pretty sure Cooker 3 is a more than capable MTB for beginner like me. The most important thing for me is having fun and get my kids to go to MTB trails with me.

Very wise,
Things I was told and found to be true for me,

Hard Tails teach, A hard tail should always be your first bike.
Hard tails require more from the rider, more skills and better physical conditioning.
It takes this to get more out of a hard tail.

Full Suspension without a developed skill set can hurt you, Think Ejection seat
Full Suspension is faster on the hardest trails but works you more on the climbs.
Races are won on the climbs.
Full squish is more versatile, can help you get out of tight spots and help you stay upright when you make a mistake.

You fill your skills bag on a hard tail and you will get more out of a full smash as a second bike.

Odd right ?
Old 11-23-16, 11:29 AM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello,

I am very new to MTB. About one month ago, I took a REI MTB introduction class and now I am hooked. I really want to own a full suspension mountain bike so I can check out local MTB trails.

Just found a 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er II for around $1K and the bike is in excellent condition. The bike is 5 years old and as technology improving, I am sure it is out dated. However, since I am so new to MTB, I think it will be a great first MTB. What do you all think? Should I take it or buy a brand new bike from BikeDirect that is a little more expensive like $1.5K?

Thank you so much!
I owned 2 other exact same bikes, both 2011 and they were both ecxellent bikes and were fast. Limited travel but I think 4 inches is just enough.

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 11-23-16, 03:42 PM
pholuvr
Banned.

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Odd right ?
Not odd at all considering that you are stuck riding tame trails in Florida.

The real question is why you aren't riding a rigid bike or, better yet, a cross bike, on your super tame trails.
Old 11-23-16, 07:37 PM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pholuvr
Not odd at all considering that you are stuck riding tame trails in Florida.

The real question is why you aren't riding a rigid bike or, better yet, a cross bike, on your super tame trails.
While there are no mountains or long up or down hills, if you think all the trails here are tame, you need to come visit.
Old 11-23-16, 07:57 PM
pholuvr
Banned.

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hig4s
While there are no mountains or long up or down hills, if you think all the trails here are tame, you need to come visit.
Been there, done that. Still not impressed.
Old 11-24-16, 11:21 AM
hig4s

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pholuvr
Been there, done that. Still not impressed.
You've been to Vortex at Santos, gun range at Markham and Gravitron at Alifia? Or how about the fingers at Carter road?