Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

overnight rides in VA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 07:45 AM
lmgoldberg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
overnight rides in VA?

Would appreciate the wisdom of the crowd in helping to plan my first effort at an overnight multi-day bike trip, tentatively scheduled for memorial day weekend! I have done lots of miles under my belt (bike commuter, many weekend day rides, several centuries) but haven't done multi-day trips. My criteria:

1) start within a couple of hours of DC. In fact, I would like to start somewhere outside of surburbia.
2) should be a loop
3) looking for 3 days biking, around 180 miles
4) minimal traffic, rural countryside or parkland is great. But doesn't have to be rails to trails. Will be riding a Surly LHT with 32mm's so can do crushed gravel. '
5) places to camp for each of the 2 nights. Have panniers and will be bringing tent, sleeping bag and equipment.

As a typical MD resident, don't know VA well, so help would be appreciated.
Old 05-13-16, 10:48 AM
Pak65

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New return to pedal world after long hiatus, here, Have you considered the Skyline Drive. Traffic won't be minimal but limit is around 35mph. Fees involved. Lot's of camping but not easy on/off, or food sources--takes about 3.5-4.0 hrs in a car. You could do part of it and get off and head back on another route. Shenandoah Valley has some nice roads but east side, too. Lot's of folks ride around up there on bicycles. I will be, too, once I get a few miles down the road, so to speak.
Old 05-13-16, 01:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Ditto Sklyline Drive and the Shenandoah area.

Lots of hills but beautiful scenery.

Maybe park in Front Royal, head 50 miles south to Big Meadows campground, then another day to Rt 33 and down into the Shenandoah and over to the GW Nat'L forest and campground, then meander back north to Front Royal. The Shenandoah valley is a great riding area.

George Washington & Jefferson National Forests - Camp Roosevelt Recreation Area
Old 05-17-16, 08:38 AM
elizwlsn

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp 2006, Diamondback Ascent Ex 1989

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have such great state parks in Virginia. I have my first overnight planned from my home in central Va. to the closest SP Bear Creek and then the next night to the next closest Holliday state park and then back home. I used google maps set to bike travel for using back roads. You probably have closer state parks up north. You could try that. All my roads down here pretty much are good for biking and where is isn't optimum like on route 15 google took me mostly around it with a minimum of miles on 15. Play with it.