Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Is Bike Touring in Decline?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Is Bike Touring in Decline?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-23, 09:53 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 240 Posts
[QUOTE=imi;23049964]
Originally Posted by str
As close to the coast as possible. I did it some 30 years ago. To actually get to coastal towns you often have to wind down long roads that are steeper than the route itself… meaning in the morning climbing out of there is the way your day starts… before you’ve even gotten anywhere (if you know what I mean?)

Sorry, Komoot led me astray. Here's a google map close to the coast... so not so brutal

here your missing the super beautiful climbs inland )) LA LUNADA, LAGOS DE COVADONGA, PICOS DE EUROPA

)))
Old 10-23-23, 10:05 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by str
I am 100% sure that there are thousands of miles/km of little roads without traffic. but looking around I have the feeling people don't use them, or do not show them.
Several hundred miles of rail trails, and organizations that support them, advertise them and raise money for them.

A gazillion miles of small, paved country roads with a tiny amount of slow traffic - all under the general public consciousness - that could be mapped, signed and promoted for pennies on the dollar of creating new rail trails. Dr. Paul Dudley White and Phillip H. Huffman's legacy.
Old 10-23-23, 11:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
but as others have said, the coast of Spain is horrible. The tourist complexes have spread and merged into each other, tomato plantations under a sea of plastic cover huge areas, and traffic is dense.
I rode some of the Andalucian coast back in 2000 (a little east of Almeria to a little east of Malaga). It was my least favorite part of my 7-week trip in the region, and it wasn't even high tourist season. In the area south of El Ejido, I passed nay miles of the plastic tarp farming. El Ejido itself had recently been the center of days of race rioting after a migrant farm worker stabbed a native. Most of the towns along the way were boring urbanizations. I remember shopping in a grocery store in a resort town that was so full of Brits, Germans, etc., that a clerk responded to me in English after I asked a question in Spanish. I was so glad when I finally turned north and headed back into the hills at Torre del Mar.

AS for route planning, I spent months reading up on where I might like to go and highlighting my Michelin map of the territory suing the smallest roads practicable. It took a lot of work, but it was worth it.

A relatively common pilgrimage around my parts is a day ride from Philadelphia to the New Jersey shore. Some of the routes people have posted of their rides have amazed me. Lots of busy roads, including busy state and U.S. highways when there were much quieter roads available. For years I have been doing several long weekend trips every year to the same state park not that far from the shore. Even as late as 2021 I was still researching ways to make the route more enjoyable through finding new backroads to get me where I was going. I pretty much nailed it two years ago. A nice combination of quieter roads, relatively direct routing and sufficient services along the way for the distance.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-23-23, 11:53 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
The summer weather in southern europe has gone bonkers. July and August could well get up to 40 degrees… and/or huge thunderstorms and torrential rain for days on end.

September has always been my favourite month near the mediterranean. Less holiday makers and often lower costs at camps. However at the end of September many places close down.

Not trying to put you off. If it’s 35 plus degrees, I get up and away at first light to enjoy the cool morning ride, then take it easy later in the day. A good tent for rainy days.
Yeah. We were in the south of France this past summer and had several unpleasant days with highs above 35. Unfortunately, dates are more or less set in stone (scheduled event in Lisbon and school holidays). I'll have to weatherspark and try to understand the impact of El Nino.
Old 10-23-23, 12:01 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by str
take a look: North of Spain
Definitely will. Thanks for all the pointers. Will eventually start a new thread when/if plan firms up.
Old 10-23-23, 03:26 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Not in my experience, lots of uphills on my last tour.
this does merit some recognition. Made me smile.
Mine too btw.