Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Going Lighter on Tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Going Lighter on Tour

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-23, 05:06 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Several years ago I gave a lot of advice to a local couple who was planning to ride from the east coast to SoCal in connection with a move. I almost gasped when I saw the early entries of their CGOB journal. They were carrying, among other things, a full sized, cast iron skillet and a Park Tools floor pump. And the wife kept mentioning packing up her books. Plural. From what I could tell, she had over a half dozen.

Needless to say, they were constantly complaining about ever little hill. I sent them messages like lose the floor pump for something like a Road Morph, but it was no use. I’m OK they got a ride to somewhere in TX and abandoned.
I met a young couple on their honeymoon riding down the Pacific Coast. They were suffering badly and asked for advice. At their request I went over their gear with them. In order to get down to normal touring standards they needed to drop 50 or more pounds of stuff each. They just had so much heavy stuff. One of my favorite items was a bike tool kit in a big plastic case. It had all of the shop tools to maintain most different models of bikes. A lot of the tools didn't even fit anything on their particular bikes. It probably weighed 10 pounds. That was just one of many items.

I once had a warm showers guest that was going to stay with us. He was hours late arriving and the weather turned horrendous. We were in contact by phone so I offered to pick him up. He was still quite a few hours away at the pace he was riding and the rain was torrential. His mother had contacted us and asked us to please look out for him. Any way I picked him up and his bike and gear must have weighed at least 200 pounds. He didn't seem interested in advice so I didn't push any on him. He had made it from New York to Maryland when he stayed with us and eventually made it to Florida and I heard a rumor he made it to Texas. He was headed for the west coast. He had a rear basket and gear was stacked on that and laced with rope and chain to shoulder height or so. If the time he was making when he was headed to my house was any indication he may as well have just hiked other than he couldn't have taken all that stuff while hiking.

He made it a long way though so I give him a lot of credit. Other guests that have stayed with us who were way over loaded typically either bailed on their trips pretty quickly of dumped a lot of gear in the cases where I knew what happened.

Last edited by staehpj1; 04-23-23 at 05:09 AM.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 04-23-23, 07:00 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
...He didn't seem interested in advice so I didn't push any on him...
Very wise. Unsolicited advice only benefits the person giving it.
Old 04-23-23, 02:56 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
That is always the rub for some potential trips. Filters are great and I rely on them but, where there isn't water to filter or a way to cache there just isn't a way to have a light load if you have to go days between resupply. That has been my reason for skipping some trips both backpacking and MTB backcountry bikepacking I'd like to do. I am just no longer willing to be a pack mule. Okay so maybe I am getting soft in my old age I will still do long hard days though.
-
Water resupply in southern Utah is near impossible. Some folks stage water along some routes. I am in your court, mule days are long gone. I always try to camp near streams. NE, NW and Mid-Atlantic areas are great for back country and filtering H2O. Like you, the lighter I am the longer I can go.
Old 04-23-23, 02:59 PM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
That is another topic I differ with the ultra light crowd. They will stand there squeezing water through a bladder for 20 minutes to get some water through their filter.

But I carry a second bladder and some tubing from the hardware store (a few more ounces), and use a gravity system. I am happy to carry some extra ounces to save the time of trying to use muscle power to squeeze water through a bladder when gravity will do it for me. My Sawyer filter (below) is the double threaded version of their mini filter.

Most stores do not carry the double threaded version, I got it from Amazon.

It also helps for campsites that have no water where you need to carry water several miles to the camp, having a second two liter bladder helps simplify getting enough water into your pack to bring to that campsite without risking dehydration.
My sawyer is like yours not the small one. When I canoe camp or backpack near lakes and rivers I filter like you. Only when I bikepack or tour do I use the squeeze method. Squeeze doesn't use much muscle, in fact gentle squeeze works best for me. Plus I relish being off the bike and sitting by a stream.
Old 04-23-23, 03:08 PM
balto charlie

. I filtered two liters every day, the bladders were two liter size each. Did not bother to filter the water that I boiled, which was maybe another 1.5 liters per day.
So you drink only 2 L of water a day, plus cooking water. I drink so much more. I do tend to sweat easily and get my share of cramps so I drink a lot more. I drink 1-2 L before coffee in the morning! Even when I am home. I think it safe to say I drink between 1.5-2 gallons of water a day. I can drink almost that much on a hot century ride w/out touring. This is not criticism just an observation. Maybe I drink too much.
Old 04-23-23, 03:55 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
Even when I am home. I think it safe to say I drink between 1.5-2 gallons of water a day. I can drink almost that much on a hot century ride w/out touring. This is not criticism just an observation. Maybe I drink too much.
Not saying that is necessarily too much, but do you get blood work done regularly? You could be at risk of hyponatremia, If you do have it it can be quite dangerous. Drinking too much can be a cause or a symptom, maybe both, not sure. Someone I know who drank a similar amount of water had their blood work turn up a problem before it was too bad. I have heard of deaths though.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 04-23-23, 05:13 PM
balto charlie

Not saying that is necessarily too much, but do you get blood work done regularly? You could be at risk of hyponatremia, If you do have it it can be quite dangerous. Drinking too much can be a cause or a symptom, maybe both, not sure. Someone I know who drank a similar amount of water had their blood work turn up a problem before it was too bad. I have heard of deaths though.
After posting my last comment I did a google search on how much water to drink. Mayo clinic says men should drink a gallon a day and this did not take into account heavy exercising. So my 1.5 gallons is not too out of line with Mayo. I think I will start measuring my intake out of curiousity. I have read (not today) that one should drink a lot when you wake up due to natural dehydration while sleeping.
Old 04-23-23, 06:15 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
My sawyer is like yours not the small one. When I canoe camp or backpack near lakes and rivers I filter like you. Only when I bikepack or tour do I use the squeeze method. Squeeze doesn't use much muscle, in fact gentle squeeze works best for me. Plus I relish being off the bike and sitting by a stream.
I called it 20 minutes, as a through hiker that I had unclogged his filter for him and I went to the creek from the campsite together. I filled my 2 liter unfiltered bladder while he started squeezing his bladder. I went back to the campsite and set up the gravity system, then started doing some other kitchen duties. It was about 20 minutes later that I was dis-assembling my gravity system after it had already filtered the 2 liters when the other guy came back. His filter was not doing well, I did the best I could to unclog it, but it was slow. And perhaps he drank some of the water to rehydrate before he then needed to filter some more?
Old 04-23-23, 06:38 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

So you drink only 2 L of water a day, plus cooking water. I drink so much more. I do tend to sweat easily and get my share of cramps so I drink a lot more. I drink 1-2 L before coffee in the morning! Even when I am home. I think it safe to say I drink between 1.5-2 gallons of water a day. I can drink almost that much on a hot century ride w/out touring. This is not criticism just an observation. Maybe I drink too much.
My numbers are for my backpacking trip last summer near the north shore of Lake Superior in early September. Average lows in high 40s, average highs in mid 60s range. I try not to travel where it is uncomfortably hot. Yeah I sweated, but not excessively.
herspark.com/s/146378/2/Average-Fall-Weather-at-Grand-Marais-Cook-County-Airport-Minnesota-United-States#Figures-Temp

If you have 1 to 2 liters of water in the morning before your morning coffee, yeah I think that is too much. Be careful you do not drink it too fast, you could get hyponatremia. If you do not know what that is, look it up. If you drink too much fluid too fast, you could dilute the salts in your system too much.
Old 04-23-23, 07:04 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I'm shocked how many I have seen who do not filter, it takes me 30 seconds to squeeze a bottle. Not so surprising that few filter and treat but it is difficult to guess if viruses smaller than the filter membrane pores are present. What gear to bring depends on the circumstances and context. The thought and risk analysis should be independent of weight. For instance, the additional weight of natural fabrics (merino, alpacca or Yak) are worth it to me compared to synthetics. OTOH, in warmer temperatures I have no use for a stove and cooking gear but in colder/wet climates, I bring a small setup. What I find objectionable are the judgemental people who think they know better because I don't have three stoves, four cook pots and my headlamp isn't to their liking.

Cutting weight is probably the easiest thing to do (unless it is off my gut)
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-24-23, 02:23 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Cutting weight is probably the easiest thing to do (unless it is off my gut)
I’m not a big guy 5’8”, 150 lbs, but I lose weight on tour regardless of how much I eat. Typically, up to 10 lbs in a couple of months. Impossible to say if it’s the weight loss, stronger legs, or overall stamina, but I do get faster 😬
Old 04-24-23, 05:08 AM
balto charlie

My numbers are for my backpacking trip last summer near the north shore of Lake Superior in early September. Average lows in high 40s, average highs in mid 60s range. I try not to travel where it is uncomfortably hot. Yeah I sweated, but not excessively.
herspark.com/s/146378/2/Average-Fall-Weather-at-Grand-Marais-Cook-County-Airport-Minnesota-United-States#Figures-Temp

If you have 1 to 2 liters of water in the morning before your morning coffee, yeah I think that is too much. Be careful you do not drink it too fast, you could get hyponatremia. If you do not know what that is, look it up. If you drink too much fluid too fast, you could dilute the salts in your system too much.
My bad, I drink 2 pints of water when I wake up. one immediately and 1 while I drink my coffee, but I do drink a gallon or more during the day.
Old 04-24-23, 06:29 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
For most bike touring, I don't even consider carrying a filter. It's needed so seldom. I carry Aquamira drops, a chlorine dioxide two-part system that's somewhat popular on the long trails. No moving parts, nothing to clog, no hoses. A set of bottles weighs 3 oz, costs $15, and will treat 30 gallons. It takes 5 minutes to mix chemicals, 15 more minutes to drink. It tastes better than most municipal water.

I will selectively drink natural water, but seldom on a bike tour or anywhere near a road. The exception is on high alpine roads, above treeline, when I can see run-off from snowfields. On my Northern Tier ride, I collected rain water running off roadside cliffs in North Cascades National Park.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 04-24-23, 07:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts

Other guests that have stayed with us who were way over loaded typically either bailed on their trips pretty quickly of dumped a lot of gear in the cases where I knew what happened.
I think I mentioned this before, but one woman in our cross country group started out with a Sony Watchman TV and an electric hair dryer. They got shipped home at the start of Day 3, before we got to the Cascades. A couple other group members shipped stuff home that morning. There was a shipping business location (forget the name of the chain) in Port Townsend, WA. We had to wait for the ferry, so they had time.
Old 04-24-23, 07:38 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Right I have a two-week trip planned on the Pacific Coast in June, then as long as I am able to stop working as planned, intend to do the Southern Tier bike tour and some or all of the PCT (hiking trail) in 2024-2025. The timing of the trips is dependent upon conditions for hiking the PCT - I am glad I am not going this year due to the high snow pack (and the ensuing snow melt)!

I carried a Sawyer Squeeze Mini when I did a two week bike tour on the Divide in Colorado, which worked just fine but of course it was a short trip with a new filter. I am intending to either use a regular Sawyer Squeeze or the Katadyn BeFree for the PCT.

Agree 100 percent. The OP is talking about biking where I suspect frequent treatment is not in question, but also backpacking where daily filtering is likely needed. My photo of the gravity system is from my backpacking trip last summer. I filtered two liters every day, the bladders were two liter size each. Did not bother to filter the water that I boiled, which was maybe another 1.5 liters per day.

One bike tour I did, I did not want to carry much weight in treatment stuff in the unlikely event that I might have to treat water, but I wanted to be prepared in case I did have to treat. I bought a Steripen for that trip, weighed 75 grams, volume was minimal. Never needed it, but having it gave me the confidence that I did not need to obsess about my water supply.
Old 04-24-23, 08:25 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
As far as water goes, for me it mostly depends on weather. When I was cycling around Australia (highs in low 30s Celsius, 86-95F and lows around 20), the guideline I used was 1 liter per 20km and 2 liters overnight. I stayed less than that but it was also a safe guideline for me when water stops were further apart.

Longest gap I had w/o confirmed water was 280km between Roebuck and Sandfire roadhouse in the Great Sandy Desert. As it turned out, I had people offer me water, both stopped along the road and where I camped so the 16 liters I started with was overkill. However, I routinely carried 5 to 8 liters while traveling. There was little surface water but people had documented the water stops (though occasionally a tank was dry or was suspect).

I've followed a similar guideline in later trips across areas w/o much water such as western Argentina. Water is heavy so you don't want to carry too much and I like having a filter both for natural sources and for more urban areas where water treatment might be suspect.
Old 04-24-23, 10:29 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by timdow
I carried a Sawyer Squeeze Mini when I did a two week bike tour on the Divide in Colorado, which worked just fine but of course it was a short trip with a new filter. I am intending to either use a regular Sawyer Squeeze or the Katadyn BeFree for the PCT.
I have met some backpackers that complained about their Sawyer water filters (besides the one through hiker I described above), and every one I asked when was the last time they backflushed it. And the answer was often never or many dozens or hundreds of liters ago.

I always backflush my Sawyer with a very quick and not very robust backflush every time I use it. Backpacking, I carry the syringe, but for the quick backflush that I typically do it only takes seconds with the right kind of water bottle lid instead of syringe.

I usually carry a Smartwater brand water bottle or another bottle with a similar cap on it. You can easily hold the filter exit tube against that type of water bottle lid. That works well to do a quick bottle squeeze to push maybe an ounce or two of water through it in a quick backflush.

Note the arrow that is printed on the filter above aims towards the bottle, when you back flush it you are pushing water out the inlet to push particulates back out.

I think that frequent backflushing can prevent a lot of problems. And it only takes seconds. If you have a bottle with that kind of cap, try it out at home first so you know how easier it is.

My filter also seems to work best if I do a robust backflush with the syringe before I put it in storage and again after I take it out of storage before a trip.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 04-24-23, 10:49 AM
Yan 

Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Water requirement is temperature and humidity dependent. You don't sweat when it's cold. You lose less water through your lungs when it's humid. I rode a century in cold rain yesterday and only drank 1.5 L of water the entire ride, about 0.4 gallon.

I tour with a 10L MSR Dromedary bag. Fill it up in the evening from gas stations, use it at the campsite and to fill my bottles the next morning, dump out the excess at the start of the ride. If I have a long ride without water access, I use it to carry drinking water. But water is heavy and it sucks.
Old 04-24-23, 10:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
"I had yet to see an American tourist who did not almost ruin his trip by overloading himself with unnecessary baggage." - Fred Birchmore, around the world 1935, single-speed Original Reinhardt bicycle
Old 04-24-23, 10:58 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by mev
I've followed a similar guideline in later trips across areas w/o much water such as western Argentina. Water is heavy so you don't want to carry too much and I like having a filter both for natural sources and for more urban areas where water treatment might be suspect.
I suspect you know this already, but just in case you don't, most filters do not filter out viruses.

Dangerous viruses in the wilderness are quite rare, our bodies have had thousands of generations to learn how to fight any natural viruses that are ingested. But if you are in a less developed country that might not have safe chlorinated water supplies, dangerous viruses could be present in the water supply. In those cases, a Steripen, Iodine tablets or a few drops of Chlorine Bleach may be a good thing to add to your water after you filter it. And you could say the same thing about any natural water supplies near any large cattle operations anywhere.

I carry a one ounce squeeze bottle of Chlorine bleach with my filter for any such occurrences. I almost never use it but in the situations where I did, I thought nothing about it later. And since the bleach in my bottle might be several years old, I am inclined to double that to four drops per liter.
https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and...drinking-water

EPA changed their guidance several years ago (maybe a decade ago?), they increased it to 2 drops per liter for Chlorine.

If Cryptosporidium is around, do not rely only on chemical treatment, filtering or boiling would be necessary. And if in an area with a lot of Moose, same thing, only boiling or filtering can be relied on.

More on the moose issues here:
https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvis...king-water.htm
Old 04-24-23, 11:15 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
I suspect you know this already, but just in case you don't, most filters do not filter out viruses.
Yes, I also took some treatment tablets to use, though I also tried to avoid taking them for extended periods. Also some natural sources might have various heavy metals, etc.

In general, my unscientific approach when I was out for multiple months such as the five months it took to cross Russia was:
- If the locals drank the water, I would as well. Typically at end of the day we would do what I called our "water ritual". We would stop at a point of habitation, e.g. small village or house or... and ask where they got water. The results were varied. Sometimes they would direct us to a well or pump house. Sometimes they would disappear into their residence and return with our 10 liter water bladder filled. After that we'd cycle another 10km or so and wild camp and use water for cooking, cleaning, drinking, etc. I usually didn't treat this water.
- Only a few spots w/o and habitation we'd find surface water. Ideally flowing and with life. Almost all the time we'd treat the water that wasn't boiled in cooking.

Hard to tell how well that worked but no major bouts of distress. Both of us did have one occasion each where something hit our GI tract but once through we were fine.

In general on a shorter trip of a week or two, I'd be more likely to treat water in addition to filtering.
Old 04-27-23, 03:30 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
For backpacking, I am attempting to go as light as possible with my backpacking setup while still being fairly comfortable. My backpacking base weight will be 11.24 lbs., assuming I purchase an Enlightened Equipment Enigma quilt, a ZPacks Duplex, and Nemo Tensor Ultralight. I am looking to ramp-up to somewhere around 20 miles a day while through-hiking. This all assumes that I can do the PCT as intended.
Your gear weight on a bike will usually be heavier than when hiking because of the tools and spares you have to carry. If you are going to be off in the wilds you won't be able to save anything on camping gear, but if you are on roads and resupply is relatively easy you might not need water filtration or much extra food and you can often use motels rather than camping. My approach is to pack a Tarptent Protrail and a 30 deg bag and a small cooking kit to keep my options open, but will usually look for a motel. Clothing is heavy so choose wisely there.

I use a Nelson Long Flap saddlebag and an Ortlieb Classic handlebar bag and have my gear and bag weight at 20lbs and the bike is around 20lbs too.
Likes For nun:
Old 05-02-23, 05:44 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

No doubt the bike luggage is heavier than a backpack. On past bike tours, I have "packed my fears," and have brought way too much clothing and food. I won't get down to your 40 lbs. with bike and gear, but my load will be substantially lighter on my next bike tour.

Originally Posted by nun
Your gear weight on a bike will usually be heavier than when hiking because of the tools and spares you have to carry. If you are going to be off in the wilds you won't be able to save anything on camping gear, but if you are on roads and resupply is relatively easy you might not need water filtration or much extra food and you can often use motels rather than camping. My approach is to pack a Tarptent Protrail and a 30 deg bag and a small cooking kit to keep my options open, but will usually look for a motel. Clothing is heavy so choose wisely there.

I use a Nelson Long Flap saddlebag and an Ortlieb Classic handlebar bag and have my gear and bag weight at 20lbs and the bike is around 20lbs too.
Old 05-02-23, 11:03 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
No doubt the bike luggage is heavier than a backpack. On past bike tours, I have "packed my fears," and have brought way too much clothing and food. I won't get down to your 40 lbs. with bike and gear, but my load will be substantially lighter on my next bike tour.
There are exceptions

Last edited by Doug64; 05-02-23 at 11:07 AM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 05-03-23, 05:53 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Nice pict! How heavy you recon that is/was?

Originally Posted by Doug64
There are exceptions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.