Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Charging devices?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Charging devices?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-23, 06:28 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
I have been looking at some of the USB chargers and most put out 1 amp. The new edelux setup coming out in the spring of 2024 is saying 1.5 amp 7.5 wats. The forumslader V6 says 3 amp. and you would be able to run a phone with high resolution screen. Because I like to get early starts before sunup I am more interested in powering a powerful headlight from the dino hub. The new Bush&Muller high beam dino headlight that comes out sometime in 2024 looks like it might be the better light. Add the forumslader and this might be doable.
Old 10-24-23, 11:33 PM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
They did it with two 18 watt solar panels.

I manage by keeping the phone off and charging through a passthrough battery. I don't want to be dependent on an electrical outlet. This could give someone the opportunity to steal my property. I had to retrieve my phone from a tenager once. I nailed her in the head with a 27oz Klean Kanteen. I did request her to leave it but she insisted by yelling **** and running. Don't worry, I made sure she was still breathing before I left.
forgot the ---> 🙃

I also work when I am on the road, so my phone is only off at night. I stopped charging with the dynamo hub with the iPhone 12pro, it works ok when rolling on tarmac, my tours are 80% off road, off road charging is very poor. anyway I love to sleep every 3 days in a hotel, sleeping every day outside is not an option, nice food and a good bottle of wine is always nice. also lunch in a bar / restaurant is a nice thing, meet strangers and talk a bit.

""This could give someone the opportunity to steal my property.""

That sounds serious what property?
Old 10-25-23, 05:02 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
I have been looking at some of the USB chargers and most put out 1 amp. The new edelux setup coming out in the spring of 2024 is saying 1.5 amp 7.5 wats. The forumslader V6 says 3 amp. and you would be able to run a phone with high resolution screen. Because I like to get early starts before sunup I am more interested in powering a powerful headlight from the dino hub. The new Bush&Muller high beam dino headlight that comes out sometime in 2024 looks like it might be the better light. Add the forumslader and this might be doable.
Gauvins on this forum used to use a Forumslader, not sure which version. There are probably some old posts here that describe his experience with it. If I recall correctly, he could feel the extra drag on the wheel when he was charging something.

I used to use a Sinewave Revolution when touring, still have it, it is on my rando bike now.

The Cycle2Charge V3 puts out roughly 50 percent more power than the Sinewave Revolution, bought the Cycle2Charge a year ago. Tried it on my Natchez Trace tour this past April Found it to work much better in flatter terrain because it would stay on, but in steeper hilly terrain the Cycle2Charge sometimes shuts off when my speed dipped below about 7 mph. I did not get much power out of it when going up and down repeatedly small hills, 4 or 5 minutes up a hill and down for a minute or 2, all day long did not put out much power by the end of the day. But, I was self sufficient for the tour with just dynohub power.

Taillights are on NiMH rechargeable AAA batteries, charge them up once a week on the powerbank.

​​​Touring, I wait for enough light to see in the morning, do not need a headlight. When I tour on my S&S coupled bike, I no longer even install a headlight on the bike when touring on it. But I have a headlight in my handlebar bag that can run off a powerbank, just in case I need it for a tunnel or a trip to the pub in the evening.

Photo below, riding towards sunrise behind my touring partner in the fog, this was the earliest I ever started in the morning. That was in Everglades National Park, we wanted to start early to avoid the worst of the heat. Both my taillights were on flash mode.

Old 10-25-23, 09:10 AM
Rick

Thanks for the info: As stated before I will be using a solar panel and a fairly large passthrough battery. I have a 20 watt plugin charger for a backup also. Forumslader appears to be able to set up their USB charger to work with a switch so I can run the lights or charge. These decisions on light and USB charger hinge on waiting for more info and availability. The better light is most important to me. I looked at the photo of the Bush&Muller dyno high beam light and It looks like the better light so far. When I camp I like to go to sleep by 2100 hours and hit the road by 0300 hours.
Old 10-25-23, 03:50 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Forumslader appears to be able to set up their USB charger to work with a switch so I can run the lights or charge. ...
FYI, someone on this forum in a different thread a few months ago was insistent that he have a switch on his handlebar for something, maybe lights, I do not recall. Someone pointed out that you can find very inexpensive after market motorcycle switches. If you have one of those for taillights, you could have charger, or lights or neither with a switch designed to work in rain.

I just did a google search for motorcycle turn signal switch price and had lots of hits. Looks like many are for 7/8 inch handlebar diameter but I saw some that could work on larger bars. Not sure if the ones for 7/8 inch bars can be reamed out or not. Just an FYI.

I just wire both the charger and the lights together with the hub using parallel wiring. Turn off the light, all power goes to the charger. Do not plug anything into the USB port and all power goes to lights. But I do not know if there is something unique about the light you are talking about, once they are available I am sure we will learn more.
Old 10-25-23, 06:19 PM
Rick

FYI, someone on this forum in a different thread a few months ago was insistent that he have a switch on his handlebar for something, maybe lights, I do not recall. Someone pointed out that you can find very inexpensive after market motorcycle switches. If you have one of those for taillights, you could have charger, or lights or neither with a switch designed to work in rain.

I just did a google search for motorcycle turn signal switch price and had lots of hits. Looks like many are for 7/8 inch handlebar diameter but I saw some that could work on larger bars. Not sure if the ones for 7/8 inch bars can be reamed out or not. Just an FYI.

I just wire both the charger and the lights together with the hub using parallel wiring. Turn off the light, all power goes to the charger. Do not plug anything into the USB port and all power goes to lights. But I do not know if there is something unique about the light you are talking about, once they are available I am sure we will learn more.
Forumslader had mention on their site of a different Bush&Muller headlight setup then what I am looking at. Forumsladers setup pushes 12v. If you go to the Bush&Muller site the ebike headlight has the same designation or name as the dyno version. They both show the same lumens. Formslader talks about running an ebike lite with their USB charger. Formslader currently has trouble getting some of their electronics. They expect to solve this problem sometime after the first of the year.
Old 10-26-23, 06:41 AM
Tourist in MSN

Forumslader had mention on their site of a different Bush&Muller headlight setup then what I am looking at. Forumsladers setup pushes 12v. If you go to the Bush&Muller site the ebike headlight has the same designation or name as the dyno version. They both show the same lumens. Formslader talks about running an ebike lite with their USB charger. Formslader currently has trouble getting some of their electronics. They expect to solve this problem sometime after the first of the year.
12v? This is getting out of the realm of my experience with dynhubs and chargers. Let us know later when you get this all assembled and how it worked for you.
Old 10-30-23, 12:36 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
don't bother camping any longer, not when hotels are available for $5-10.
???
Old 10-30-23, 12:46 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
???
cambodia, thailand, southern china, laos, myanmar, vietnam.

hotels/guesthouses $5-10.

truckstop fan rooms.................$3.
Old 10-30-23, 07:33 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
cambodia, thailand, southern china, laos, myanmar, vietnam.

hotels/guesthouses $5-10.

truckstop fan rooms.................$3.
Yeah, mighta mentioned that earlier.