Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New in St Louis, looking for best vintage bike seller

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 09:32 AM
clstaats

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I just posted in the Introductions and am coming here for a little advice. I am in possession of a bunch of vintage 10-speed bicycles that my brother restored. He was an electrical engineeer who loved to take 10-speeds completely apart and then restore them, putting them back together nicely oiled and greased -- sometimes with better parts than the original -- so that they rode as smooth as silk. He passed away last May and all of the bicycles are at my mom's house. My brother was ill the last few years and the bikes have been hanging in my mom's garage and have not been ridden for 3-4 years. I am moving her across country to live with me, and we cannot take all of these bicycles. I am taking one of the Schwinn Paramounts with me, but there are still lots of other bicycles:

10-speeds
  • Schwinn Paramount (chrome, beautiful, for a tall person or someone with long legs, probably > 6')
  • Raleigh International
  • Raleigh Super Course
  • Raleigh Grand Prix
  • TREK Cirrus
3-speeds
  • Hercules (chrome, for a shorter person, perhaps 5'6" or less?)
REQUEST: Can someone in the St Louis area recommend the best vintage shops for selling said bicycles? We simply can't take all of these with us.

Any assistance you can provide would be much appreciated!

Last edited by clstaats; 04-22-24 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Forgot to include some info and a typo
Old 04-22-24, 09:41 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,156 Posts
St. Louis has a great co-op that could benefit from those bikes being donated. Smiles, MH

Edit to give information.
St Louis Bicycle Works
2414 Menard St.
St. Louis, MO 63104
PH: 314-664- 0828 Open on Tuesday AM

Last edited by Mad Honk; 04-22-24 at 01:48 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 04-22-24, 10:00 AM
clstaats

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's the name of the coop?
Old 04-22-24, 10:06 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked 3,640 Times in 1,455 Posts
EDIT: reading comprehension.

I wish you the very best in finding someone who will cherish these bikes from your family!

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 04-22-24, 10:29 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 1,593 Posts
You might want to check Billy Goat Bicycles on Manchester Rd, just east of Hwy 61. They are a shop that has an appreciation for the history of cycling and older bikes. Under previous owners, the shop was known as A-1 Cycles, and was a family business.

I'm not sure if they buy older bikes, but they probably can tell you the best ways to find new homes for them.

We have a Bike Forums member, Lynn Travers, who lives up in Hazelwood (IIRC), and would likely have useful info too. Haven't seen him here much lately. His user name is CV-6. Perhaps you can send him a private message, or maybe just mentioning @CV-6 will be enough?

Steve in Peoria (but lived in St. Louis for a while)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-22-24, 10:51 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
You might want to check Billy Goat Bicycles on Manchester Rd, just east of Hwy 61. They are a shop that has an appreciation for the history of cycling and older bikes. Under previous owners, the shop was known as A-1 Cycles, and was a family business.

I'm not sure if they buy older bikes, but they probably can tell you the best ways to find new homes for them.

We have a Bike Forums member, Lynn Travers, who lives up in Hazelwood (IIRC), and would likely have useful info too. Haven't seen him here much lately. His user name is CV-6. Perhaps you can send him a private message, or maybe just mentioning @CV-6 will be enough?

Steve in Peoria (but lived in St. Louis for a while)
Check with Dirk at Billy Goat. I don't know that he would buy any, but I believe he does do consignment sales.

Lynn Travers

Photos