Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Serotta News and it is not good...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Serotta News and it is not good...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 12:16 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Just my opinion, but it seems that the higher you rank, the more likely you are to be dismissed by a curt phone call. It has little to do with respect, and more to do with "defense against a law suit". In face to face meetings, the firer often gets apologetic and whiny, and says things that get used against them later in court. If Mr. Serotta is surprised by the means, then he probably didn't comprehend the depth of the water in which he swims.
Old 08-12-13, 12:17 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Doing it by phone is a bit chicken ****.

But when he sold an interest to a private equity group, he pretty much should have known what was coming.
The issue is that Ben Serotta is liked in the cycling community (from what I have seen). As a result, this treatment is now public information. This could impact that future plans of the chuckleheads that run the place, now. It's stupid. They could have hanlded it in a respectful professional manner.

I will give you that this is one side of the story. Who knows what else might be going on? But I have my doubts that the story is any different than as it is being portrayed.

Harvey McKay once said, if you are going to burn your bridges, you better be a damn good swimmer.
Old 08-12-13, 12:18 PM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
Just my opinion, but it seems that the higher you rank, the more likely you are to be dismissed by a curt phone call. It has little to do with respect, and more to do with "defense against a law suit". In face to face meetings, the firer often gets apologetic and whiny, and says things that get used against them later in court. If Mr. Serotta is surprised by the means, then he probably didn't comprehend the depth of the water in which he swims.
He did not say he was surprised. Disappointed is a better term.

BTW...the higher you rank the less whiny and apologetic you become.
Old 08-12-13, 12:25 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Originally Posted by roadwarrior
BTW...the higher you rank the less whiny and apologetic you become.
Yes and no. I have been involved in corporate manufacturing for many years, and have seen many very powerful people totally lose their heads in termination meetings, and say things that open up lawsuits. Many "powerful" people are excellent in business meetings, but come apart at the stress of termination.

Edit: stinking typo's. I think auto correct is somehow involved.
Old 08-12-13, 12:34 PM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yes and no. I have been involved in corporate manufacturing for many years, and have seen many very powerful people totally lose their heads in termination meetings, and say things that open up lawsuits. Many "powerful" people are excellent in business meetings, but come apart at the stress of termination.

Edit: stinking typo's. I think auto correct is somehow involved.
This is why, when doing this you are accompanied by an attorney and someone from Human Resources (aka witnesses). And you are coached and you go through the process before doing it live.
Old 08-12-13, 03:50 PM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The lady who said she'd "drop kick to f'n Mars any employee that talked to the press"???

If you always take the high road, you do not need to be staring over your shoulder all the time.

She was also rated the most over paid CEO. But you still do not handle a parting like that.
I'm not saying I'm a fan. Just pointing out that yes, it's tacky, and it's not just a small company thing.
Old 08-12-13, 04:03 PM
NWS Alpine

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is why, when doing this you are accompanied by an attorney and someone from Human Resources (aka witnesses). And you are coached and you go through the process before doing it live.
A lot of places hire firms to handle this now. What an awful job to fire people all day. Cleaner for the existing employees at the company though.
Old 08-12-13, 04:12 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

They could have hanlded it in a respectful professional manner.
No offense meant, but your comments continue to show naivety. There is no such thing as a "respectful" or courteous termination, only a professional one. Termination is the ultimate disrespect, and discourtesy you can give someone. Any lawyer will tell you that the key to a termination is brevity. I have never met a lawyer willing to "be a witness" to a termination, as it compromises their ability to later be your lawyer in that case.

Coaching is wonderful, but a professional termination demands a specific dispassion that very few high level executives or HR people can maintain, and their coaching dissolves as soon as the terminee asks "why". In my experience, most of them want to argue the merit of the termination, and achieve "understanding". They become emotionally involved, and want satisfaction. Most terminations involve emotional attachment on the part of the firing manager, and they can't put it below the surface. They default to anger to carry them through. HR managers tend to move to empathetic responses too quickly, and come across as patronizing in a hurry.

I am telling you first hand that I have seen many, many very high level executives handle terminations very poorly, despite having coaching and handlers with them. I have given that coaching, and been the handler, and watched it crumble every time. This is why companies employ "ax men" or "hatchet men".
Old 08-12-13, 05:33 PM
brons2
Hook 'Em Horns

Bikes: Mine: Paul Taylor Custom 66cm, Rivendell custom 68cm, '75 Eisentraut Touring 69cm, 68cm track frame of indeterminate origin, '92 Cannondale M500. Ours: '93 Burley Duet tandem XL. Hers: L Mercier Sora thingy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am telling you first hand that I have seen many, many very high level executives handle terminations very poorly, despite having coaching and handlers with them. I have given that coaching, and been the handler, and watched it crumble every time. This is why companies employ "ax men" or "hatchet men".
Most should have seen it coming. When your company is sucking wind and burning through cash and you don't have a viable business plan to turn it around, termination is inevitable. But people at top levels become too enamored of their own plans and ideas.
Old 08-12-13, 05:50 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brons2
Most should have seen it coming. When your company is sucking wind and burning through cash and you don't have a viable business plan to turn it around, termination is inevitable. But people at top levels become too enamored of their own plans and ideas.
Old 08-12-13, 06:02 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,526 Times in 2,864 Posts
Originally Posted by NWS Alpine
A lot of places hire firms to handle this now. What an awful job to fire people all day. Cleaner for the existing employees at the company though.
The classic!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85DtKlEgayM
Old 08-12-13, 06:02 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,526 Times in 2,864 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Wait! Are you implying Balmer actually has a plan???
Old 08-13-13, 04:38 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
No offense meant, but your comments continue to show naivety. There is no such thing as a "respectful" or courteous termination, only a professional one. Termination is the ultimate disrespect, and discourtesy you can give someone. Any lawyer will tell you that the key to a termination is brevity. I have never met a lawyer willing to "be a witness" to a termination, as it compromises their ability to later be your lawyer in that case.

Coaching is wonderful, but a professional termination demands a specific dispassion that very few high level executives or HR people can maintain, and their coaching dissolves as soon as the terminee asks "why". In my experience, most of them want to argue the merit of the termination, and achieve "understanding". They become emotionally involved, and want satisfaction. Most terminations involve emotional attachment on the part of the firing manager, and they can't put it below the surface. They default to anger to carry them through. HR managers tend to move to empathetic responses too quickly, and come across as patronizing in a hurry.

Before I owned my company, I was a VP, officer in a billion dollar company (my responsibilities were about 20% of the company). I know the game. I am not naive. I left to start my own company (which I subsequently sold) because I got tired of the bs and was about to go through my third acquisition in four years. Acquiring, not being acquired. Combining cultures and changing the culture of the acquired will kill you.

I was originally hired in from the outside, and since the organization (my part) was losing money like a rowboat with a huge hole, things had to change. And a few people had to go due to performance.

I did every single one face to face with dignity, and yeah it was difficult, but two of those people are friends of mine to this day. If you treat people like crap, you develop a reputation for that, then you can't hire the best people. And when that happens, you start the death spiral.

BTW....we were profitable in three years. Once that initial phase ended, we had zero turnover and people were thanking us for making the moves because they knew who was creating the problems and wondered why previous management had not done anything about it.

Ben Serotta is a respected person in the bike community, despite maybe hanging on to a business model that many of his dealers thought was not working anymore. To handle a termination of a person who is known and respected will come back to haunt the current owners.

Thanks for your thoughts, however.
Old 08-13-13, 07:16 AM
MrCharlie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jesus...I thought this was a bike forum.
Old 08-13-13, 07:39 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Originally Posted by MrCharlie
Then why did you just bring religion into it?
Old 08-13-13, 08:04 AM
MrCharlie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK....ya got me, haha.
Old 08-13-13, 02:02 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
This reminds me of that cable TV show with the guy who comes in to clean up the place, a bar so as to revive it and show profits for the owners. He reminds me of a certain Mayor of a large city in California.
Old 08-14-13, 03:49 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCharlie
And Serotta is a bike company.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-14-13, 05:59 AM
MrCharlie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And Serotta is a bike company.

Hope that helps.

Oh good. We're talking about Serotta again.
Old 08-14-13, 07:45 AM
kaliayev
Gouge Away

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Ben Serotta is a respected person in the bike community, despite maybe hanging on to a business model that many of his dealers thought was not working anymore. To handle a termination of a person who is known and respected will come back to haunt the current owners.

Thanks for your thoughts, however.
Maybe a little Karma for Ben. From what I hear he did the same to his last CEO minus the phone call.
Old 08-14-13, 08:57 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Thanks for posting that link. I was thinking of that episode as well!