Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Cult of CAAD...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Cult of CAAD...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 08:20 AM
NWS Alpine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by loimpact
Very cool!!! I forwarded to a guy who has carbon clinchers right now on a Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-works, carbon-everything, yada yada that I know worries about if he ever damages a wheel. (He's got some of those weird cork brake pads that make funny noise every time we ride together.)

I may do carbon wheels in the future and that's DEFINITELY the way I would go for the money but my EVO's got Aksiums on it right now & I know they're a durable trainer which is what I need for the crap roads I ride right now.

And I gotta hand it to you CAAD folks. The EVO doesn't get much advertising love. You either know it's an EVO or you don't. The CAADs, tho, you usually can't miss. They say "CAAD" all over and/or the number (10, 9, etc.) on them somewhere.

But wait......aren't you a traitor if you have carbon clinchers on your CAAD???
Tell you friend to ditch those cork pads and get a set of swissstop black prince pads for his carbon wheels.
Old 08-07-14, 09:32 AM
m66

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by e_guevara
The CAAD10 for 2014 is Di2 ready. This might help.

Don't know about the installation though. The video does not show the left side of the bike.

EDIT: Just found this. The Di2 cabling goes into the top tube just above the brake cable stops.

The 2014 CAAD10 Black Inc. doesn't have downtube stops (see video and previous image). If the frame you're looking at has stops (plastic, screw on), I think it's a 2013 version. Those are removable, and should come with plugs.
Hi, thanks for the info. The first two pics show what I believe is the 2013 Black Inc which came from the factory with UI2 and I believe no way to add mechanical stops. This one i'm looking at has internal rear brake but does have the mechanical stops at it was spec'd originally with SRAM Red. But the mechanical stops don't look welded like my 2013 - they look like hard plastic. The owner didn't know if they come out and was not really up for me trying to pry them out lol.
Old 08-07-14, 03:22 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
check back in a few months to let us know if those wheels explode on you. I've thought about some cheap Chinese wheels but I'm too scared
Ha. Thanks for the optimism.
Originally Posted by Dawicka2
AristoNYC, Nice color choice.
Bike looks great!
I recently pulled the trigger on some chinese carbon fiber as well. Wheels arrived in 9 days.
50mm wheels (x20.5) seem great so far (did not explode with 118psi).

Below is my budget build with a mixture of craigslist and ebay parts.
2007 caad8 optimo1 that i repainted about a week ago.

I dropped a dresser on my idiot foot so am out of commission for another week+. Cant wait to ride this thing. Did a century 2 days before the "furniture incident", hoping to do an immediate wheel comparison... but that didnt work out.

Handlebar neck is short because my mountain bike is borrowing it at the moment.

Thanks.
I like the bike, what brand handlebar tape is that?
Also, nice choice in tires.

Originally Posted by lgp927
Here's pics of the caad 10 we just picked up , this is actually my sons bike as he is going to start racing cat 4 , he's 16 and started riding w a shop team.
Nice! I wish I got into cycling that young. I was 26 when I started to get into cycling.
Old 08-07-14, 03:30 PM
lgp927

Bikes: Planet X Full carbon track bike , Bianchi Pista, Unknown LV1 X 2, Sole' De Lano, Retrospect.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AristoNYC
Ha. Thanks for the optimism.

Thanks.
I like the bike, what brand handlebar tape is that?
Also, nice choice in tires.

Nice! I wish I got into cycling that young. I was 26 when I started to get into cycling.
Me too im 41and just fork to it about A year ago
Old 08-07-14, 04:53 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bike looks great!
I recently pulled the trigger on some chinese carbon fiber as well. Wheels arrived in 9 days.

I dropped a dresser on my idiot foot so am out of commission for another week+. Cant wait to ride this thing. Did a century 2 days before the "furniture incident", hoping to do an immediate wheel comparison... but that didnt work out.

I was gonna say (thought I did yesterday but guess it didn't post) that that is THE shortest stem I've ever seen!!!

What's that a 20mm??

And, shoot, if I'd have stuck w/ cycling since when I had my old SR 10 speed as a teen, I could probably could've pulled off the "flipped & slammed" stance for at least part of my cycling career! No way I'm trying that now.
Old 08-07-14, 05:12 PM
Dawicka2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seymour1910-
That will be nice with the new 105 set, i have 5600 on mine and really like it.
eastwood paint-https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-underhood-black-paint.html

AristoNYC- the tape is some generic stuff off ebay that came in a baggy . Time will tell how well it holds up.

loimpact- i think it is in the negatives... Hahaha stem is a 35 i believe.

Last edited by Dawicka2; 08-07-14 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-07-14, 10:13 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bike looks great!

I don't think I've ever seen a stem that short.
Old 08-07-14, 10:49 PM
prankster

Bikes: 2017 Spez Allez Sagan Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been a while. A shot from one of my races.

Old 08-09-14, 08:05 PM
igotyofire

Bikes: Felt Z4, CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by igotyofire
Officially joined the cult! (guess I no longer refuse electronic groupset) Size 60CM, weighed in at 17lbs 3oz

Slowly changing

Old 08-09-14, 08:16 PM
igotyofire

Bikes: Felt Z4, CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m66
Hi, thanks for the info. The first two pics show what I believe is the 2013 Black Inc which came from the factory with UI2 and I believe no way to add mechanical stops. This one i'm looking at has internal rear brake but does have the mechanical stops at it was spec'd originally with SRAM Red. But the mechanical stops don't look welded like my 2013 - they look like hard plastic. The owner didn't know if they come out and was not really up for me trying to pry them out lol.
I have the 2013 blk inc and if you buy a 2013 frame you can not run mechanical groupset. I have mixed feelings about the groupset so far. But the woes I have I think are mainly caused by the FSA chainrings which I have heard are not that great. However the 2014 version has the plastic removable stops as I understand it and all 2014 CAAD10s are Di2 ready in this way.
Old 08-09-14, 11:42 PM
e_guevara

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD10 Team, Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m66
I have the 2013 blk inc and if you buy a 2013 frame you can not run mechanical groupset. I have mixed feelings about the groupset so far. But the woes I have I think are mainly caused by the FSA chainrings which I have heard are not that great. However the 2014 version has the plastic removable stops as I understand it and all 2014 CAAD10s are Di2 ready in this way.
So I did get the two interchanged Thanks very much you two for clarifying the matter.
Old 08-10-14, 05:34 AM
m66

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. Now that the cables are removed it is clear that the stops are removeable - the owner doesn't have the covers though so I'm hoping to source them from a dealer - also, the di2 wire enters right below the rear brake cable into the head tube.
Old 08-10-14, 10:32 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Black Inc, FTW

Last edited by loimpact; 09-22-14 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-10-14, 12:14 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the front shifter cable and rear derailluer cable changed on my Ultegra caad. It shifts decent,however it makes a noise in the small gears on the cassette. I am thinking now, maybe i need a new chain? Chain has 3000 miles.
Old 08-10-14, 04:14 PM
bug009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
I had the front shifter cable and rear derailluer cable changed on my Ultegra caad. It shifts decent,however it makes a noise in the small gears on the cassette. I am thinking now, maybe i need a new chain? Chain has 3000 miles.
Yeah, I'd say it's beyond time for a new chain. May want to look into replacing the cassette while you're at it.
Old 08-10-14, 06:34 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Order is placed. shimano chain and cassette.Seemed like good price from Nashbar.$54 for the cassette 29.99 for the chain.
Old 08-11-14, 10:42 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
finished my cat3 season and piloted the caad10 to a road racing championship win! 75 mile race was the longest of the year for me!

now time for vacation and cyclocross lols
Old 08-11-14, 11:27 AM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice picture. Great job! GO CAADs
Old 08-11-14, 06:49 PM
thewilson 

Bikes: CAAD10/Wabi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
My CAAD and I just did bunch of miles in the white mountains.

Top of bear notch after doing the kanc on my way to crawford notch.

Last edited by thewilson; 08-11-14 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-12-14, 10:39 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They need to make a folding bike.
Old 08-13-14, 05:11 AM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=thewilson;17027340]My CAAD and I just did bunch of miles in the white mountains.

Top of bear notch after doing the kanc on my way to crawford notch.[/
Very nice, one of my favorite places on earth. What gearing do you have?
Old 08-13-14, 07:21 PM
thewilson 

Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Very nice, one of my favorite places on earth. What gearing do you have?
Compact up front and 11-25 in the rear, not the best for the whites but I did alright.
Old 08-13-14, 07:49 PM
loimpact

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thewilson
Compact up front and 11-25 in the rear, not the best for the whites but I did alright.
Just had this conversation yesterday cuz I have considered doing the last 3 rings on my 11-25 cassette but, to be honest, I don't think I've ever really used the 30/25 combo yet. (at least not that I remember). Another guy told me, "Nah, just stick w/ the 25 tops. At 28 you're just spinning & never really go anywhere."

Though I've ridden 28/28 before when I was dying on a 70 mile ride so I can't say "never" but.....

What is your CAAD?? (Hard to tell if that's a Black Inc or ???)
Old 08-14-14, 06:50 AM
thewilson 

I'm going to bump it up to the 28 in the rear only because of those hills can get quite steep, and I never use the 25 anyhow. She's a 2014 ultegra, I swapped the FSA crank for the Ultegra because I wanted the full gruppo.
Old 08-15-14, 01:28 PM
lgp927

Bikes: Planet X Full carbon track bike , Bianchi Pista, Unknown LV1 X 2, Sole' De Lano, Retrospect.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question, I came across a smoking deal for an ultegra di2 groupo it's a 10 speed, internal. Will this work on my bike ? Has anyone done this ? Any crazy mods that need to be done ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.