Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Differential knee pain

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Differential knee pain

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 10:44 AM
Chalupa102

Bikes: Catrike Trail Recumbent trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Differential knee pain

Yesterday i did a long ride of 63.8 miles. As soon as i got back home i stretched my legs, which is a usual practice after a ride. After i got up from sitting on the couch, i had some minor knee pain. On my left leg, the pain was on the back of my knee. On my right leg, the pain was on the front of the knee and seemed like right behind the knee cap. I could especially feel them going up and down stairs. Today, my right knee still feels pretty much the same but the pain has mainly shifted in the left knee. It went from the back to the front. It's a slight pain, but i can still tell it's there.

During the ride, i always kept my cadence at least between 80-95rpms. The only time it would drop below 80 (almost never) is when i was climbing a steep hill. I would always drop to my lowest gear (16.7 gear inches) to try to maintain a cadence above 80 during the steep climbs. From a complete stop, i always used my right leg to start off. I made sure to drop to 4th gear out of 24 before coming to a stop. I also tried to be as soft on the pedals as i could.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

This pics are to show the distance from the pedals and the bends in my knees. If anyone thinks i need to move my seat position, please let me know.

Old 06-18-10, 01:00 PM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your position looks pretty normal to me. You didn't write if you normally do rides of this length, or if this was your first long ride. If it was your first long ride, maybe you just overdid it, and will be fine in a few days? You could try adjusting the position slightly and see how it feels on shorter rides. Try a little closer to the pedals, a little further away.. bring any tools you might need with you, so you can change position again if you find it made it worse.
Old 06-18-10, 02:05 PM
Chalupa102

Bikes: Catrike Trail Recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yangmusa
...You didn't write if you normally do rides of this length, or if this was your first long ride. If it was your first long ride, maybe you just overdid it, and will be fine in a few days?...
This was the longest ride i have ever done. My longest ride before that was 52.6 miles.
Old 06-18-10, 02:24 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Quite likely you are still adjusting to riding this bike and to riding recumbents in general. I had a brief learing curve of aches and pains when I started riding recumbents 4 years ago. That first Tailwind has been replaced by two other 'bents and I've had a period of adjustment to both of them. Your position does look about right. Back off a little on intensity and be sure to let your muscles recover from a hard ride.
Old 06-18-10, 05:33 PM
gruffydd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with JanMM, you're probably still adjusting. But my opinion, after looking at your pictures, is that your seat may be a bit too far back. At least for me, I wouldn't want my legs quite that extended. I would move the seat just a tiny bit forward.

I am speaking from the perspective of my own knee problems which are probably very different than yours. So I don't want to sound like I know what I'm talking about.
Old 06-18-10, 05:34 PM
gruffydd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with JanMM, you're probably still adjusting. But my opinion, after looking at your pictures, is that your seat may be a bit too far back. At least for me, I wouldn't want my legs quite that extended. I would move the seat just a tiny bit forward.

I am speaking from the perspective of my own knee problems which are probably very different than yours. So I don't want to sound like I know what I'm talking about.
Old 06-20-10, 04:01 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Leg extension looks pretty good to me; so if you adjust it, I'd do it in small increments. Three thoughts on knee pain: first, it could just be your legs adjusting to the new position. Second, you might be dropping your knees out away from the frame as you pedal in this new position. Third, you *may* not be sitting straight on the seat. I say this because your knee pain seems to indicate one leg is too close and one is too far away.

I'd go easy for a few hundred miles and see how things work out.