Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hutchinson Tubeless Experience ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 08:48 PM
TANC
Roubaix for me !!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In maybe 7 rides on Hutchinson Atom Galactiks, I flatted both tires from running over a small gravel. It damaged the bead. Replaced them with a Hutchinson Intensive tire. Supposedly much tougher. Third ride and another flat on front. Damaged bead again after running over another small gravel. Anyone having similar problems ?

I am 190 lbs, riding American Classic Argents. Lot of money and 3 flats in 10 rides at about $110 a pop. Only had one flat on clinchers in years of serious riding. Always ride on glass smooth roads with an occasional bridge crack, road crack, or stray gravel. Nothing unusual at all. Riding them at 108 psi. They recommend 105-115 for riders over 185. Dealer recommended riding them at 100 psi, which makes the chance of this kind of failure even greater.

I'm about ready to run clinchers again. This is ridiculous. They ride awesome, but........

Sealant sealed up all of them once the problem was diagnosed, but they are hazardous to ride. Have wall bubbles from the damaged bead.
Old 10-27-13, 08:54 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I thought the point of tubeless was to run lower pressures for a better ride.
Old 10-27-13, 09:07 PM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been running Hutchinson tubeless for over two years, with only one flat so far (actually, it was a gash from a piece of glass that no tire would have survived). I used to flat a lot more when I used inner tubes. Maybe I am just lucky.
Old 10-27-13, 09:29 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know the size of these tires, but I'm running my Hutchinson Secteur 28mm at 85F/90R @ a svelte 200 lbs; I've ridden over small gravel and some very, very rough stretches without an issue.,
Old 10-28-13, 01:58 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Two years now running intensive tubeless and no flats. And those 21mm tires have been ridden in places that would give a hardtail mtb a pause.
Did a small tour with my gf last summer. I weigh 230lbs and I had 60lbs of gear on my back and on the bike. We rode some seriously gnarly rocky forest paths and just straight out forest to get to a nice remote camp site. No cuts, no punctures, no nothing.
There may have been punctures I have not noticed because of the sealant. Can't be sure.
Old 10-28-13, 07:49 AM
TANC
Roubaix for me !!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
I thought the point of tubeless was to run lower pressures for a better ride.
It IS the point. However, the less air you put in the tires, the more risk you are taking in having a damaged bead from running over something. When they say they recommend an air pressure window, there's a reason for it. Run below that and increase your risk. For riders over 185 lbs, it's 105-115 psi. Many companies have not jumped on the tubeless bandwagon yet because they don't want the inherent risk of the tires rolling off on a rider.

Here's what all of you should do that think you have never had a problem with your tubeless tires. They may not flat because of the sealant, but the bead may be damaged and putting you at increased risk of failure. Run your thumb around the perimeter of the tire against where it seats against the rim and feel for any irregularity in shape. You likely won't see it, but you can feel it. I couldn't see any of my damaged beads, but you can feel a small "bubble" in the sidewall where the damage occurred. This means the bead is damaged and is pulling away from the lip of the rim. Also, take note of how much air you put in the tires before you ride, then note what's in them after you ride. They should not be losing more than 5 lbs of air from one day to the next. If you lose 10 lbs of air during a ride, you have a problem. Something happened during the ride. It may have been an innocent flat that sealed, or it may be more serious...like a damaged bead.

This info is from experience and from using the countries largest AC dealer and one of their biggest race teams. Everyone is still learning about tubeless technology.
Old 10-28-13, 09:45 AM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
4 Years with minimal issues. I run Fusion 3's or intensives though.
Old 10-28-13, 11:12 AM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
Three years on Atoms with Eurus, 1 flat due to a staple, one flat due some other sharp object. If I ran sealant, neither flat would have required stopping. 6000+ km on this setup. If you are failing the bead, I would suspect installation error?
Old 10-28-13, 12:01 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by ingo
Three years on Atoms with Eurus, 1 flat due to a staple, one flat due some other sharp object. If I ran sealant, neither flat would have required stopping. 6000+ km on this setup. If you are failing the bead, I would suspect installation error?
^this
The carbon fiber bead is more prone to damage at installation especially if tire irons are used. The optimal situation would be where you can remove and install the tire just using your hands. I'm lucky that my rims allow this but it's also technique question
Old 10-28-13, 12:07 PM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very happy with my Sector 28's performance. Posted a review here.
Old 10-28-13, 09:05 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Been very happy with my 25 intensive tires. Had one sidewall blowout at 2800 miles as I believe it cracked. I replaced my second 25 intensive at 4000 miles as the sidewall was cracking but hadn't blew out. These were both rear tires. My front 25 intensive has 7600 miles with no signs of cracking. It is wearing down but no cords showing. I run 95 psi in both front and rear, I weigh 130 lbs.

I check my pressures before each ride and check my tires for cuts and abnormalalities often. I will continue to use/recommend these tires and have been very happy with them. I also use the recommended Hutchinson brand "protect air" sealant, nothing else. I do carry Hutchinson "fast air" in case of a small pucture causing a flat. Although for a sidewall crack like I had "fast air" will not work as the split is to big for the tire to hold air.
Old 10-28-13, 10:25 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MileHighMark
Very happy with my Sector 28's performance. Posted a review here.
I wonder if Hutchinson anglicized the spelling. I'd bet I have the same tires, but the tire sidewall denotes Secteur Most strange.
Old 10-29-13, 08:38 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdtompki
I wonder if Hutchinson anglicized the spelling. I'd bet I have the same tires, but the tire sidewall denotes Secteur Most strange.
I think they did change the spelling at one point. Good tires, nonetheless.
Old 10-29-13, 09:41 AM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nothing but positive results after a couple years. Running the PSI too high but that is not your issue. It sounds like installation error if the bead is broken. Bead jacks and tire levers should not be used as they will break the bead. Install the tire from the opposite side if the tubeless valve an finish the install at the valve.