Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Shift work--days, evenings, midnights

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 03:09 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Does anybody here work different shifts or unusual hours? How does that affect you when you're carfree or carlight?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-11-13, 04:31 PM
poormanbiking
Human most of the time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work from 6 pm to 6:15 am and some days to tired to ride. I think this is my lack of fitness.
Old 12-11-13, 04:45 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by poormanbiking
I work from 6 pm to 6:15 am and some days to tired to ride. I think this is my lack of fitness.
May not be so much your fitness as your "natural" clock.
Old 12-11-13, 05:15 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by poormanbiking
That's similar to my new shift, 7 PM to 7:30 AM. I'm also very tired after my shift, but I could do a short bike commute if I had to. Having only 12 hours off between shifts, I would hate to have a long commute that ate into the time I need to eat, sleep, etc. But the four day weekends are great!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-11-13, 05:33 PM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
From 3:30 PM to midnight, usually later on Fridays and Saturdays if things are busy. I haven't had a problem riding after work, but I don't have the most physically challenging job in the world either. When I ride, I usually ride to work and take bus or the Metro home. If I work late and miss the connecting bus then I ride home from the Metro station and save the taxi fare. Car free is a lot easier with decent public transportation.
Old 12-11-13, 05:50 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Grillparzer
From 3:30 PM to midnight, usually later on Fridays and Saturdays if things are busy. I haven't had a problem riding after work, but I don't have the most physically challenging job in the world either. When I ride, I usually ride to work and take bus or the Metro home. If I work late and miss the connecting bus then I ride home from the Metro station and save the taxi fare. Car free is a lot easier with decent public transportation.
And that's the shift (3:00 to 11:30 PM, actually) that I worked most of my life until recently changing to 12 hour night shifts. I loved having those daylight hours available for bike rides and other activities. The drawback was that most buses in my city don't run after about 10:30 PM. I didn't mind riding my bike home, except when I had flare-ups of a knee problem. I usually had to take a taxi at those times. Now I have buses available at both ends of my shift, but I only live one stop away from my work place so it makes no sense to even take a bus.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-11-13, 06:01 PM
GodsBassist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to do 5 miles for a 7pm to 7am shift. The ride there was awesome, it left me alert and aware and ready for work. Riding home is tough but if it's the only option, you don't have to talk yourself into it, and it turns out to be not that bad.

Riding on shift is the same as doing anything else on shift: you have to have a routine because the sun isn't there to set one for you. I knew guys that would try to flip to a dayshift sleep schedule on the off-rotation and then come back to mids for shift. They were zombies.
Old 12-11-13, 07:08 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
At a previous gig in a manufacturing environment, I worked with a lady that, on the weeks where she had 4 day weekends, would spend one day switching from nights to days, then work two days, then transition back to nights on the fourth day before finally going back to work on her regular schedule.

Management was pretty good about making sure she always took off at least one day per week, but otherwise letting her work whenever she wanted to.
Old 12-12-13, 11:41 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have worked third shift, (11:00 PM-7:00) going on twenty-five years (in April). The last five I have been car light. I haven't noticed any insurmountable issues.
Old 12-13-13, 10:18 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I work the 8 to 4:30 shift normally, but when I have worked oddball times, I do appreciate the easy commuting traffic. A few times I've had to show up at 12:00am or so and hang around till 4:00 am. Not many cars on the the street at that time.
Old 12-13-13, 11:31 AM
plustax

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm doing a long ride, I like to leave at around 3:00 AM. Get back around 7:00 when people are just starting to wake up. Commuting wise I get to work at 6 to beat traffic.
Old 12-13-13, 01:06 PM
Gasbag

Bikes: 1968 DL-1 / 1963 Rudge Sport / 1955 Raleigh Superbe / 1951 CWS / 1948 CWS

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I work 14:30 - 23:00. My commute is 1.5 miles. Over the last few years, I have gone car-light including, but not limited to, a subcompact car and hypermiling.

I haven't bike commuted yet for a few factors. One is that my route is through a residential area that seems to attract idjits and drunks. I have seen many, shall we say, interesting driving feats on my way home.

I'm a truck mechanic in my mid-fifties and many nights I am just too beat up by the end of my shift and just want to get home.

The plus side of the afternoon shift is that my morning rides are nice but I delay them until the morning rush is over and crazy drivers are off the roads.

I intend to start commuting by bicycle when the weather gets back up into evening lows above 40F.
Old 12-13-13, 03:54 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Gasbag
I work 14:30 - 23:00. My commute is 1.5 miles. Over the last few years, I have gone car-light including, but not limited to, a subcompact car and hypermiling.

I haven't bike commuted yet for a few factors. One is that my route is through a residential area that seems to attract idjits and drunks. I have seen many, shall we say, interesting driving feats on my way home.

I'm a truck mechanic in my mid-fifties and many nights I am just too beat up by the end of my shift and just want to get home.

The plus side of the afternoon shift is that my morning rides are nice but I delay them until the morning rush is over and crazy drivers are off the roads.

I intend to start commuting by bicycle when the weather gets back up into evening lows above 40F.
When I worked evenings, I almost always left home a little early, took the scenic route, and expanded my short commute to work by 15 or 20 miles. I did my fastest sprinting on my commute home, when there was little traffic and most of the traffic signals were on blinking mode. I do miss that shift.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-14-13, 12:26 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I used to work swing shift, getting off at 11pm. Since I was close to Hollywood, there was usually something still happening and plenty of stores and restaurants to visit. I could see a matinee before going to work.

A more recent job had no set hours so I was as likely to be going to work in the pre-dawn hours as coming home.

The set up I really hated was a company that started at 8:30 am. My commute was a long one, so if I didn't go in an hour early, I'd hit all the worst of the morning rush hour.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-19-13, 08:48 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,634 Times in 945 Posts
Many yrs ago, for a short period, worked 5pm-1am most nights, 11pm-7am and 7am-3pm others. Being car lite wasn't a problem at the time. Sometimes it was hard to figure out what day it was. Or even if it was day or night. Some weeks were 6 days, some 7 days and some 8 days. Going by the number of times I got up and went back to bed.

I was really glad after a few months to get a steady 11pm-7am shift. My sleep pattern, if not normal was at least regular.

Overall biking to work most of the time had nothing to do with it tho. At least for me.
Old 12-19-13, 10:50 AM
rnorris

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not working right now, but over time I've worked all sorts of shifts and have commuted by bike in any hour you could name at some point. My favorite time to commute by bike is late in the evening or in the predawn hours, when traffic is light and my lights make me far more visible to vehicles than I am during the day. There's something about riding under moon and stars on a dark night that I really enjoy.
Old 12-20-13, 05:26 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
During my car free years I worked a fair bit of shift work. I was working at a hospital and we had rotating shifts. I also worked as a bar tender part time. Rolling home at 2:30 in the morning was great, there was zero traffic and you could see and hear cars coming long before they got there. The only ass ache was getting hassled by the cops for using the MUP through the park because is "closed" at sundown.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-20-13, 07:06 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by wahoonc
During my car free years I worked a fair bit of shift work. I was working at a hospital and we had rotating shifts. I also worked as a bar tender part time. Rolling home at 2:30 in the morning was great, there was zero traffic and you could see and hear cars coming long before they got there. The only ass ache was getting hassled by the cops for using the MUP through the park because is "closed" at sundown.

Aaron
We had the same situation here a few years ago--cops harassing cyclists after dark. It was finally ruled that the park was closed but the MUP was open 24/7, just like a regular street. Once in a while you still hear about a rogue cop hassling people, but it's not as bad.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-20-13, 07:13 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I did a 4:00 to midnight shift for a while ... riding home at midnight was usually quite nice.
Old 12-20-13, 07:28 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Machka
I did a 4:00 to midnight shift for a while ... riding home at midnight was usually quite nice.
Yes indeed, and going other places late at night was also fun. We used to ride all over the city.

Mountain biking at night is spectacular but spooky. I used to hit the trails with my son and a friend about one night a week, even in winter. I was the only one with a headlight--a cheap little LED--so I went in front. That was fun. I should reinstitute those rides.

"Think Outside the Cage"