Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs
Reload this Page >

Converting flat bar road bike to drop bar - one handed operation

Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 05:09 PM
McStumpy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

I have been using a modified hybrid (more mtb oriented than road) for a few years. Front mech trigger shifter is on right hand side of bar, rear mech shifter is grip, and the bike shop rigged up an adapter where both brake cables feed in, with an output cable feeding into one brake lever. Ie one lever pulls both brakes at once.

I wanted a faster road oriented bike for longer rides and sportives, so bought a Btwin Triban 540 flat bar in the summer. Decathlon have set up bike in similar way, both front and rear tiagra trigger shifters are on the right hand side, with (I think they said) a bmx style barrel that both brake cables feed into with the barrel connecting into one brake lever.

As much as I love my new bike and set up, having had a go on a drop bar bike and realised the aero and comfort benefits, I do now wish I'd gone for drop bar.

So, I'm looking to convert to drop bar, buying the bits I need off eBay as I want to do this as economically as possible. I already have a right hand tiagra sti brake / shifter, and I bought a "dummy" brake lever to mount on left side so I can ride on the hoods with my prosthetic left hand.

I was hoping my brake barrel adaptor would work with road sti cables, but on swapping emails with local bike shop they think I need a different adapter at £50.

There's also the question of front mech shifter. I'd be keen to re use the existing trigger shifter but it's mount is too narrow for a drop bar. Somebody else suggested I could install a TT style bar end shifter in the right hand butt of the drop bar.

So.... has anyone else faced a similar scenario or converted a drop bar for one handed operation? While my prosthetic can grip the bar I can't rely on it for braking and shifting.

All advice gratefully received. Thanks.
Old 11-11-15, 07:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Dual cable out of the same brake lever are not going to be with the 2 shifters inside as well ..

I would suggest a Pro Shop and have them fit an electronic Di2 drivetrain . (very un Cheap)

then you can mount multiple Buttons for the shifting near By each other
there are Cable doublers to use 1 lever and 2 brakes ..

for the brakes , and T Fittings for Hydraulics ... Hydro discs are the new road thing..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-11-15 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-12-15, 01:30 AM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about a Kelly Take Off for your front shifter? And a Problem Solvers Cable Doubler for your brakes?

Kelly Bike Company
Problem Solvers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
kelly_takeoff_photo.jpg (16.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-12-15, 02:08 PM
McStumpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Phoned Decathlon today as needed to book my free service post purchase and had a chat re the conversion to drop bar. Guy I spoke to confirmed the bmx brake cable splitter wouldn't work on road bike and I'd need the above cable doubler. I asked re fitting current trigger shifter on drop bar, he seemed to think it would fit anywhere but the wide clamp area, but I thought flat bar was a slightly smaller diameter than drop?
Old 11-12-15, 02:14 PM
McStumpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, as I thought....Handlebar Diameters
Old 11-12-15, 02:43 PM
McStumpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am now wondering how feasible it would be to operate left STI shifter with my prosthetic hand. I can't pull the brake so would still need doubler for right brake, but can I knock shifter inward? Perhaps hitting the correct part each time would be the issue. Ah, man, this is all messing with my head.
Old 11-12-15, 06:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
They make remote buttons for aero bars, maybe they can be the primary shifter..

Maybe drop the whole derailleur drivetrain and Go for a Rohloff , they have a 3rd party in Australia Making a servomotor

to roll thru the gears , and a Pair of Buttons, that shift Up and Down through the ratio sequence ..

build it up in a Skinny tire wheel and enjoy the simplicity..

Mechanical,
Kelly Take off Might put the other shifter near the Brake, inside, Gevanalle puts the other On the lever front

https://gevenalle.com/product/audax/ call them maybe they'll sell just one.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-15-16 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-12-15, 08:18 PM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McStumpy
Am now wondering how feasible it would be to operate left STI shifter with my prosthetic hand. I can't pull the brake so would still need doubler for right brake, but can I knock shifter inward? Perhaps hitting the correct part each time would be the issue. Ah, man, this is all messing with my head.
Have you bike shop put a bike with the shifter you're considering on a trainer ad give it a try.

I forgot to mention that the right take-off is designed for a right lever so you need to get one that's friction based.

@fietsbob While I'd love to suggest that the OP get Di2 shifters with sequential shifting, such a suggestion doesn't help because it's probably not in the budget.
Old 11-13-15, 04:00 AM
McStumpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the good advice.

Di2, would love, but as highlighted I'm doing this on a budget.

I think I'm good now. I've established that I really need to bite the bullet and buy the cable doubler, other than that I've now acquired the following from eBay. ....

Dummy left brake and hood - £4
Tiagra 10sp right hand sti shifter - £5
Microshift 2/3 speed bar end shifter - £12

So now need alu bars (looks like £10 or so from eBay), bar tape, and some cables.

I'll get a mechanic to do the build though. I think I know what to do but not fully confident.
Old 11-15-15, 11:28 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
One thing you may not have considered: "flat bar" road bikes typically have longer top tubes than "drop bar" bikes. Just bolting on the drop bars will result in a very long reach to the brakes/shifters. (Usually, you place your hand[s] on top of the brake hood.) Consult with a bike shop that does custom fitting- it may cost a bit, but a bike that fits will be much more enjoyable than one that doesn't.

FWIW: the "left" Shimano bar-end shifter can be installed on the right side also, like the Microshift. There's probably a few used ones out there- the right 9-speed indexed shifter was weak and often failed. There's got to be "orphan' bar-ends somewhere.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 11-19-15, 04:52 PM
McStumpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Jeff. The Tribal 540 flat bar is same frame as 540 drop bar so top tube should be fine. I bought large size as medium was too scrunched up and although 5'10" I have long back and short legsI , and even then I soon swapped 100mm stem for 130mm and even then I could do with being more stretched. But I will fit the 100mm stem with the drop bar (eBay purchase of planet X strada arrived today).

Last edited by McStumpy; 11-24-15 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-09-16, 02:54 PM
McStumpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to update, the upgrade now done, I picked up bike today. Pics below

https://flic.kr/p/DPZAcM

https://flic.kr/p/D1JAi3

https://flic.kr/p/DMPsb9
Old 02-14-16, 09:37 PM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Looks very nice. I like the bar-end shifter.
Old 02-14-16, 10:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Nice conversion.

BTW: did you see this thread?
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...nd-wonder.html

It might give you another person to bounce ideas off of.
Old 02-16-16, 06:10 PM
McStumpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. I have an advantage over genuine one handed cyclists in that my prosthetic allows me to hold bars with two hands, but controls have to be all right hand.
Old 02-16-16, 09:37 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I converted my flat bar fat bike to Salsa Woodchippers and I'm running a 1 X 10 with right side bar end shifter. Also the upper bar is a triple rap drops are a double wrap... most excellent for grip.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (99.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 02-17-16, 03:44 PM
McStumpy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet, if distinctive, looking bike. What prompted the conversion to drops?
Old 11-20-16, 05:47 PM
Jack_Neil

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds cool