Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Soleus pain

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-17, 07:15 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soleus pain

I know I've had this problem in the past, but I don't recall how I got past it. Rest and less standing on hills I think, and one time I got a bike fitting. I don't understand the biomechanics of it, but it is what it is. But on the off chance that someone here can recommend something I could do differently... I'll ask.

Problem is my left soleus. Both are very tight normally, but every so often the left one will get painful. Going down stairs is a problem, but it'll hurt on the bike too. I biked "a lot" this week so some amount is overuse, although I think I stood on one too many hills yesterday. I did recently raise the saddle on my bike a bit (5mm) and back a few mm, so as to unload my quads a bit; I switched from SPD's to toe straps also. After a couple days of knee discomfort my legs were doing fine. I didn't have any issues until today; yesterday was a 47 mile ride with some decent time spent climbing (MMR said 2,900ft). I doubt I did myself any favors today (34 miles, 2,100ft, although I avoided standing, used the granny and walked one hill).

One thing I've noticed is that my left foot is trying to shot out of the toe strap, getting the pedal axle closer to my arch; I try to pull back when I notice. Might my ankle be flopping around somehow in this? Or is it just from standing on hills?

No amount of stretching seems to have ever made a change in my soleus tightness. Oh I stretch (because they'd be worse if I didn't) but they are simply awfully tight. I'm not aware of any leg length discrepancies.
Old 05-21-17, 11:23 PM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Getting tight after use is normal. Do you do soft tissue work before stretching? If not, do. Works much better than stretching alone.

Another thing is strength. If the muscle is weak it may tighten more than what you expect.

But for a more specific treatment, see a rehab therapist.
Old 05-22-17, 10:02 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did massage the area last night, post ride. I usually don't stretch before riding, I just warm up on the bike, and periodically stand to stretch the soleus (stand on pedals and drop the heels).

Surprisingly, it's much better today. Good enough that I'm tempted to ride, 'cept it's threatening rain.
Old 05-22-18, 04:09 AM
Kristine29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also had something the same
Massage and stretching do help
Old 05-22-18, 02:00 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Get a physical therapist to do a few graston treatments on it. It hurts like heck, but does wonders. And of course, stretching...