Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to cycling, 50 mile ride

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New to cycling, 50 mile ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-18, 12:40 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Achilles0557
I understand where everyone is coming from. When I said Cycling, I meant road biking. I have mountain biked before. I currently live in the panhandle of FL so the roads aren’t crazy...and I am fit. I have been out the last few months because I was actually hit by a car on my little fold up bicycle, so I was able to afford a nice bicycle. And yes I did my homework, which is why I went with an Emonda. I am new to road biking which is why I asked if the average was okay. Thanks to those who answered, I apologize if I offended anyone. And this was a Loop in the state and national forests...not one stop light.
I was wondering how someone could average 17mph on practically their first bike ride!
I was able to maintain 20mph over several flat, straight rural miles on a club ride a few weeks ago but that was thanks to a nice tailwind.
Normally can only average 15-16 at best on a ride. Often less.
Old 05-21-18, 01:45 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
....I’m 31 yrs old, 6ft tall, 220lbs, and don’t usually do too much cardio. I finished in just under 3 hours without stopping...my question is, is a 17.2 mph Avg a little slow for a fifty mile ride?

31 yr old, fit 220 lbs, ex-mtb, on a nice bike, on all flatlands, in a park without stops? 20 mph for a 100 mile ride is your new goal.

Last edited by Riveting; 05-21-18 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 01:50 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Thanks again for the replies, I asked because a guy that I work with told me he is at 20.3 mph on a 20 mile ride. This is why I asked in the first place. I am going to do another loop this weekend and make sure it isn’t a fluke. I am a little upset because I already put a slight mark in the fork. I clipped in and couldn’t unclip...toppled right over. I felt like such an idiot. Haha
Your pace over 50 miles is going to be slower than over 20 miles unless you're a machine.
Old 05-21-18, 01:54 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You might consider asking at the LBS where the local group rides start.
Old 05-21-18, 02:19 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DGoodrow
You never came to a cross street or traffic light? I have found that it is very hard to maintain that kind of speed over distance when factoring in all the usual stops and starts.
I'm with you. I did a continuous 48 miler yesterday that went about 2/3rds of the way through urban areas and stop signs and lights. I then did some 2.000 feet of climbing trying to build leg strength with big gears. 39-23 up 7% and 39-25 for the over that rate of climb for the rest that was as steep as 16%. Getting home all tuckered out the speedo says 11.5 mph average. I'm 73 and tried to keep the heart rate under 160 ppm but that was pretty difficult.

Last edited by cyclintom; 05-21-18 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 02:24 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks again for the replies, I asked because a guy that I work with told me he is at 20.3 mph on a 20 mile ride. This is why I asked in the first place. I am going to do another loop this weekend and make sure it isn’t a fluke. I am a little upset because I already put a slight mark in the fork. I clipped in and couldn’t unclip...toppled right over. I felt like such an idiot. Haha
Get prepared to feel like an idiot all the time. Toppling over like that goes with clipless pedals for several years.
Old 05-21-18, 02:25 PM
DGoodrow

Location: Just up the road from the Withlacoochee Trail-Holder Trailhead

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclintom
I'm with you. I did a continuous 48 miler yesterday that went about 2/34rds of the way through urban areas and stop signs and lights. I then did some 2.000 feet of climbing trying to build leg strength with big gears. 39-23 up 7% and 39-25 for the over that rate of climb for the rest that was as steep as 16%. Getting home all tuckered out the speedo says 11.5 mph average. I'm 73 and tried to keep the heart rate under 160 ppm but that was pretty difficult.
My hat off to you sir...160bpm is zone 5? I do think part of your training regiment should be to "live to ride another day."
Old 05-21-18, 02:43 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My hat off to you sir...160bpm is zone 5? I do think part of your training regiment should be to "live to ride another day."
I had a concussion which knocked all the sense out of me. I can't remember the heart rate zones but that is my 85% region which is what I try to keep at for high-moderate training. Everyone else in our age group drops me so I assume that they're going higher.
Old 05-21-18, 02:50 PM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You say you're, "on base" and chose the name of the greatest fighter of the Trojan War. May I guess you're in the military? How much is "not to much cardio"? Just keep riding...
Old 05-21-18, 02:55 PM
DGoodrow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a concussion which knocked all the sense out of me. I can't remember the heart rate zones but that is my 85% region which is what I try to keep at for high-moderate training. Everyone else in our age group drops me so I assume that they're going higher.
or there could just be multiple concussions in your group
Old 05-21-18, 02:59 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
So my adult son (30 yr/old) regularly does 50 miles a day averaging between 20 and 24mph based on his cycling computer. But he has no car, and has been riding daily for the last 3 years, between 40 and 70 miles a day. He also lost 35 pounds and looks (to his Mom) like a beanpole, lol. But he didn't start out riding that fast or far - so you are doing just fine. Ramp up steadily to avoid injury.
Old 05-21-18, 03:46 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Some guys are just born with better aerobic genes than others. Consider yourself lucky you're probably better endowed than most of us here. With some more structured training perhaps you can be competitive racing in cat 3, 2, maybe even 1.
Old 05-21-18, 03:56 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
or there could just be multiple concussions in your group
I've been riding since around 1975 or so. I raced some and do know proper training techniques and certainly don't ride like that too often. I was developing a poison gas detector for the military to detect all those WMD that the Obama people proclaimed never existed. Through an accident, I didn't pump out the test chamber completely while in a hurry to get the damn thing to work after I realized that the physicists had the formula all wrong. Entering the chamber, poison gas is odorless and colorless so I damaged my lungs without realizing it until later when I tried racing again. So while that was the end of my racing, it wasn't the end of my training program. It simply changed what my heart rate was for any speed. But your lungs heal pretty much unless they are totally ruined such as from smoking. Today I have about full lung capacity again.

I'm not one of those people who believe that unless other people can see your pulse in the blood vessels in your temples you aren't riding hard enough. Nor do I think that I should be able to keep up with a 25 year old.
Old 05-21-18, 04:19 PM
DGoodrow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been riding since around 1975 or so. I raced some and do know proper training techniques and certainly don't ride like that too often. I was developing a poison gas detector for the military to detect all those WMD that the Obama people proclaimed never existed. Through an accident, I didn't pump out the test chamber completely while in a hurry to get the damn thing to work after I realized that the physicists had the formula all wrong. Entering the chamber, poison gas is odorless and colorless so I damaged my lungs without realizing it until later when I tried racing again. So while that was the end of my racing, it wasn't the end of my training program. It simply changed what my heart rate was for any speed. But your lungs heal pretty much unless they are totally ruined such as from smoking. Today I have about full lung capacity again.

I'm not one of those people who believe that unless other people can see your pulse in the blood vessels in your temples you aren't riding hard enough. Nor do I think that I should be able to keep up with a 25 year old.
That's the beauty of cycling. As you age you don't have to keep up with the 25 year olds speed wise, you stay in your own age group. But it has been my experience, in all things endurance related, the older guys have it all over the kids. I see it everyday here in Florida. There are many mid to late seventy guys that seem to be able to ride a hundred miles at will...almost daily.
Old 05-21-18, 04:32 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That's the beauty of cycling. As you age you don't have to keep up with the 25 year olds speed wise, you stay in your own age group. But it has been my experience, in all things endurance related, the older guys have it all over the kids. I see it everyday here in Florida. There are many mid to late seventy guys that seem to be able to ride a hundred miles at will...almost daily.
Yeah, but not at a 17 mph average speed.

I will often get passed on climbs by young guys and at the top they will be leaning over the side of the road puking. I'll just ride past and continue. Once in awhile one of them will jump on their bike and try to keep up but steep drops scare most of them and I'll just ride away. 45 mph isn't something that shouldn't scare most people. One bad bump and you can break a wheel. On a really windy ride on flat ground with a compact crank and a tailwind, I was spinning at 37 and apparently that was too scary fast for everyone.
Old 05-21-18, 07:04 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 350 Posts
To get to 20 mph for the ride:
You need a combination of more power, a more aero position, and/or drafting other riders. Wind resistance goes up dramatically as your speed increases.

From this bike speed calculator, using defaults except for a 220 pound rider. These are estimates, but you get the idea.

17.2 mph on the "tops" (maybe less aero than the hoods? ) : 183 watts
20.0 mph on the tops: 275 watts. That's 50% more power!

20.0 mph in the drops: 201 watts. 10% more than 17.2. I think this is too low, it might be more like 220 watts or so.
20.0 mph with triathlon bars on a tri bike: 174 watts. Less than the 17.2 power!

Drafting in a group, depending on number of riders, cross winds, etc: anywhere from 15% to maybe 30% power saving. And there's the motivation to hang on to the group, too. I often do 3-4 mph faster on a group ride than riding solo.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-21-18 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 04:35 AM
Achilles0557

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SJM205
You say you're, "on base" and chose the name of the greatest fighter of the Trojan War. May I guess you're in the military? How much is "not to much cardio"? Just keep riding...
Achilles is my dogs name. Instagram achilles_gsd17 if you wanna see him. I lift a lot for working out. Last time I worked on cardio was last October. Sprints on a track.
Old 05-22-18, 06:35 AM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So much for my detective skills...
Old 05-22-18, 06:59 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SJM205
So much for my detective skills...
Nah, you did fine. US Army.
​​​​​​
Old 05-22-18, 07:19 AM
sodbuster72

Bikes: '85 Bianchi Sport SS, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
back when I was late 20s, I used to roll the very flat base perimeter road at Randpolph AFB twice over lunch. This was almost exactly 20 miles with almost no intersections, and I could hold 20-point average for that distance. However, I was still 3:30-3:45 on a metric century (i.e. 17s). So that's probably your difference... 20 mi vs 50...
Old 05-22-18, 06:40 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I'm a 68 year old ex racer, more ex than racer, actually. My personal best is 17.9 for a 44 mile coastal ride with medium rollers. Last Saturday, six of us did a 62 mile metric century with a 15.1 avg with pretty brutal headwinds, and 2500' climbing. I' say you are doing great. Forget the naysayers, go find a fast group and just ride. If you are scamming us, shame on you.

Just to clarify, my Garmin only times rolling miles, it pauses at stop lights, coffee stops, etc.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 05-22-18 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 11:30 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You bought a climbing bike to ride flat roads ???? Off with his head !!!!!! Dilly dilly !!!
Old 05-23-18, 05:55 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
That's a lot of bike for a commute, in terms of geometry and comfort. For a commute, I'd definitely make sure you've got the most tire that thing can handle on there. And something a little tougher to avoid flats to/from work. At that, maybe even a tubeless.

Road ground speed is super NOT relevant. One local race sim ride averages 22mph overall and 24+mph in the flats. The other A+ ride that's in town where the hills are cracks out at about 18 1/2.

The best thing to do at this point is to use Google and Facebook. Find the local B-group ride. Usually they are no-drop and about 25 to 50mi. Try it out.

If you get dropped, you get dropped. If you never get dropped as a cyclist, you're not challenging yourself enough. It's a rite of passage.
Old 05-23-18, 07:09 AM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I love the appalachicola nf was the state forest tates hell?
Old 05-23-18, 05:21 PM
Achilles0557

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
That's a lot of bike for a commute, in terms of geometry and comfort. For a commute, I'd definitely make sure you've got the most tire that thing can handle on there. And something a little tougher to avoid flats to/from work. At that, maybe even a tubeless.

Road ground speed is super NOT relevant. One local race sim ride averages 22mph overall and 24+mph in the flats. The other A+ ride that's in town where the hills are cracks out at about 18 1/2.

The best thing to do at this point is to use Google and Facebook. Find the local B-group ride. Usually they are no-drop and about 25 to 50mi. Try it out.

If you get dropped, you get dropped. If you never get dropped as a cyclist, you're not challenging yourself enough. It's a rite of passage.
One of the most helpful responses, thank you. I put 28s on and gatorskinz for the toughness. I had two flats on my rear in the first week with bontrager R3s, 25s. My speed hasn’t gone down at all.

I have always wanted a road bike, so that is what I went with. Especially since I spend a lot of weekends camping up in the mountains, about 8 hours from me. I have the itch now. I’ve been going out now, knocking out a 20 mile ride, changing gear, then taking my MTB to the local trails.

anyways, thanks for the tips. I’ll google groups near me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.