Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi 90s Frame ID Help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi 90s Frame ID Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-18, 12:53 AM
seboros

Bikes: Bianchi Rekord 839, Francesco Moser 51.151, a red Olmo, Raleigh Team Panasonic, Bianchi SL470, Gazelle Superieur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bianchi 90s Frame ID Help (EDIT: bike completed)

This Bianchi frame I’m looking at in the local ads caught my attention. It doesn’t seem to be as nicely detailed as the high-end models from the mid 90s, though. What puzzles me is that the bottom bracket is lugged while the rest of the joints are welded. Also the rear dropouts do not have the usual cutouts, but are solid metal. Can anyone guess where in the Bianchi model lineup this frame might have had its place?

Thank you!

Last edited by seboros; 09-02-19 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-29-18, 04:25 AM
skillasw
vintage Bianchiist

Bikes: Bianchis, 84 Superleggera, 86 Giro, 87 SportSx, 87 Campd'Italia, 87 Limited, 88 Proto, 95 TSXChorus, 94 TSX105/DAax, 94 Super Grizzley RC, 94 Genius Record, 06 Pinella Boron, 18 Volpe Avanti, 00 Megapro ST Veloce00 EM Strada OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Not sure what model, late 90's i would say. It looks like Deccadi tubing, judging by the forks, how the seat stays connect to the seattube, the dropouts, and the seatpost clamp. (not sure but have a feeling the partially lugged points that way too), though just an 'educated guess'.
Old 06-29-18, 11:40 AM
seboros

Bikes: Bianchi Rekord 839, Francesco Moser 51.151, a red Olmo, Raleigh Team Panasonic, Bianchi SL470, Gazelle Superieur

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skillasw
Not sure what model, late 90's i would say. It looks like Deccadi tubing, judging by the forks, how the seat stays connect to the seattube, the dropouts, and the seatpost clamp. (not sure but have a feeling the partially lugged points that way too), though just an 'educated guess'.
Thank you, Skillasw! It could well be late 90s, as I see in the Bianchi catalogues I found online that they had this style of steel frames well into the second half of the decade. Until recently, I did not like the look of tig welds and unicrown forks so I can’t differentiate well between those models like TSX, EL-Os, Genius &c. Another problem when identifying Bianchis is the sheer size of the company, I guess, as it operated on several markets, with models dedicated to each one.

Old 06-29-18, 09:41 PM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I do wonder though if this is mid-level, low-end or perhaps quite high-end.
Old 06-30-18, 01:20 PM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
No clue, dear forum fellows? I’ve been searching the net these last two days for 90s Bianchi models and I can’t find anything to match these details (the tubular chainstays bridge and the dropouts without cutouts).
Old 06-30-18, 06:10 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by seboros
No clue, dear forum fellows? I’ve been searching the net these last two days for 90s Bianchi models and I can’t find anything to match these details (the tubular chainstays bridge and the dropouts without cutouts).
i suspect it is an upper mid level frame. What is the size of the Seatpost? Most of ate in the US and Canada so often foreign models stump us.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-01-18, 02:58 AM
srge

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
beautiful

..and clean
Old 07-01-18, 01:15 PM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

i suspect it is an upper mid level frame. What is the size of the Seatpost? Most of ate in the US and Canada so often foreign models stump us.
Thank you for the input, Bianchigirll! I’ll ask the seller for the seatpost size tomorow. But I guess I’ll be ordering it anyway

I know what you say about US and European models being quite different especially with Bianchis. Last winter I found a Bianchi SL470 mtb, which nobody on the forum heard about. Only last week I found a scan of an Austrian Bianchi katalog from 1996, and this model was right there. If you’re curious, here’s the link:

https://www.rennrad-news.de/forum/at...96-pdf.440144/

If anyone else will be interested in the furure in this catalogue and the link does not work anymore, I saved a copy. Just PM me your email address and I’ll send it to you.

Last edited by seboros; 07-01-18 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-01-18, 01:20 PM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by srge
..and clean
Thanks! That’s what I thought also
Old 07-01-18, 01:28 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Made in Italy sticker usually a plus.
Old 07-08-18, 11:17 PM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I bought it. I kindly asked my friend to pick it up for me, as he lives in the same city with the seller. I’ll see the frame in August, when I get there.
Old 09-02-19, 02:39 PM
seboros

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
After more than one year of gathering parts I’ve finished building the Bianchi frame. It’s a neo-retro, or retro-mod, whatever you like to call it. It’s built with Campagnolo 11 speed parts: Campagnolo Record hubs laced 3x on Mavic Open Pro CD rims with Sapim D-Light (rear) and Sapim Laser spokes (front), Campagnolo Potenza levers and derailleurs, Centaur 5 bolt crankset, vintage (NOS) 3T Mutant stem, Fabric Scoop Flat Race saddle, Easton EA70 seatpost, Look Keo 2 Max pedals, Fabric sillicone bar tape, bling KMC gold chain.

Today I took it out for a first spin. I feel good on it, but I think I have to get accustomed to a lot of new things before I can somewhat realistically compare it to my old 8 speed Olmo. This is my first time on an 11 speed Campagnolo groupset, first compact bars, first gold chain