Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Road vs Tri

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 05:17 PM
Wcollins00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road vs Tri

I have a carbon road bike and recently did a 70.3, I am told a Tri bike geometry will make a huge improvement. True or false?
Old 09-20-18, 05:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Unless you have an exceptionally good aero position on your road bike, the tri bike will likely be 2-3mph faster over the same course for the same effort.
Old 09-20-18, 06:11 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Wcollins00
I have a carbon road bike and recently did a 70.3, I am told a Tri bike geometry will make a huge improvement. True or false?
Given my definition of huge, absolutely true.
Old 09-20-18, 06:11 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Given my definition of huge, definitely false.
Old 09-20-18, 06:22 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Those who have purchased a tri bike in addition to their road bike: they will not give up their tri bike, once its purchased.

Its really about having two bikes. Maybe something about "faster" but mostly about having two bikes. Tri bikes are fun to ride and that's why two bikes. Don't get into the "what's faster" for a race.

Just more fun.
Old 09-20-18, 08:37 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Huge depends on how fast or slow you did the 70.3.

I bet some targeted training will yield a larger improvement.
Old 09-20-18, 08:44 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
It would also depend on the course. A flat, straight course will definitely favor the tri bike.
Old 09-20-18, 09:22 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Are you optimally set up on your road bike ? You may be able to make improvements on it.
It's not the bike's geometry that makes the difference, it's rider position mostly...Getting aero efficiently .

What's a 70.3 ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-20-18, 10:12 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I am told a Tri bike geometry will make a huge improvement. True or false?
Depends on the position you're achieving on the road bike.

Aerobars provide three main advantages:
1-They allow you to comfortably hold your arms narrow, which narrows your torso.
2-The make it effortless to keep your forearms level, making them more aero.
3-They allow your upper body to near-effortlessly carry a lot of weigh, allowing you to more easily maintain a posture where there's a lot of weight over the upper body.

Obviously a typical road posture is less aero than a Tri posture. It's usually more upright, the arms tend tend to be in a wider stance, and the forearms are typically not level and therefore creating more wind drag.
You can solve some of this by simply throwing aerobars on a road bike, without changing anything else. The aerobars create an extra hand position where the rider has a narrower stance with level forearms.

However, a road bike that happens to have aerobars tossed on is not the same fit as a Tri bike. On this "road bike with aerobars", the saddle is still a road saddle in a typical road position, which perches the butt well behind the bottom bracket. Usually the posture on the aerobars will be more upright than a true Tri posture.
If you try to lower the aerobars to create a true Tri posture, you may end up uncomfortable bending down to get so low; the angle between the legs and the torso gets really crunched, and it becomes harder to breathe and pedal.

The solution is to move the butt forward. Rather than creating a low aero posture by bending forward, you create a low aero posture by rotating your entire body forward around the bottom bracket. With a more forward saddle position, you can get very low on the aerobars while still being able to breathe and pedal. This forward position puts tons of weight over the upper body, but thankfully we've got the aerobars to deal with this!

BUT, we've got a few caveats.
First, creating a posture like this on your road bike obviously means that it's not set up in your normal road posture. So if you do non-aerobar group rides, your road bike will be fit very oddly for them unless you change it back.
Second, rotating your body forward around the bottom bracket rotates your pelvis forward around the bottom bracket. This means that you'll probably be resting on a fairly narrow region of "sit bone", and one which road saddles are usually marginal or terrible at supporting. Triathlon saddles are designed better for this.
Third, accomplishing a posture like this on a road bike can be difficult; you may need to do weird things with seatpost offset to move the saddle forward enough, the top tube and head tube aren't really optimized for Tri aerobar positioning so you might end up doing weird things with your stem, etc.
Tri bikes are simply much easier to create Tri fits on.

If you *do* manage to create a true Tri fit on your road bike, then a Tri bike won't provide a major advantage; it'll just be a much less kludgy solution.
(However, because Tri bikes don't abide by the UCI's fairing rules, a Tri bike will sometimes still be a smidge faster than a perfectly Tri-ified road bike.)

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
What's a 70.3 ?
A 70.3 is a half Ironman. 70.3 miles is the total distance of the swim and bike and run combined.

A full Ironman can similarly be referred to as a 140.6.
Old 09-20-18, 10:22 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

If you opt to try aerobars on your road bike, I strongly recommend a noseless saddle to go with them— the aforementioned road bike bottom bracket position will make it difficult to get a typical saddle adjusted... comfortably. I learned this from experience, and quite quickly at that.
Old 09-21-18, 09:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Treble the cost with a full disc rear wheel .. but, know , they will roll Loudly..

Old 09-21-18, 05:07 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
What's a 70.3 ?
Thank you. That was my question.
Old 09-21-18, 05:11 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

The "70.3" refers to the total distance in miles (113.0 km) covered in the race, consisting of a 1.2-mile (1.9 km) swim, a 56-mile (90 km) bike ride, and a 13.1-mile (21.1 km) run.

Take out the swimming and running parts, and that sounds pretty good.
Old 09-21-18, 07:35 PM
Wcollins00

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you so much for such a detailed and thoughtful reply! i think i want to get a tri bike, but my issue is i have carbon wheels and they use disc brakes. on road bikes that is common now but on tri bikes it is only on higher end models. decisions, decisions....
Old 09-21-18, 08:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
What's a 70.3 ?
It is a number between 70.2 and 70.4. It is probably also a radio station somewhere where you might consider turning it up and ripping off the knob. 70.3 Rock FM playing the loudest hits from Metaltallica and Limp Biscuits.
Pound Sign: RealAnswers!

One should always have more than one bike (especially if you race and don't take care of your bike often and well before a race) though those tri bikes are just not my thing. Then again running is the devil and swimming should be done with friends, pool noodles and maybe a nice cool beverage on a hot sunny day. Actually swimming I can dig but I was never great so I couldn't compete but if they did a triathlon minus one, you know maybe a dual-athalon with just the biking and swimming I could dig it.

Yes I know it would be a biathalon but I was channeling my inner Michael Scott.
Old 09-21-18, 09:32 PM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The biggest thing was I was able to slowly dial in my fit for my tri bike without compromising my road bike rides that and I raced faster at lower wattage .
Old 09-22-18, 07:06 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is a number between 70.2 and 70.4. It is probably also a radio station somewhere where you might consider turning it up and ripping off the knob. 70.3 Rock FM playing the loudest hits from Metaltallica and Limp Biscuits.
Left of the dial.

Left of the dial.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-22-18, 07:10 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Adding to the aero advantage of the "tri bike" aero bars, aero frame etc. The steeper angle (forward saddle position) allows you to mimic running (somewhat) and therefore allow a smoother transition to the run segment.

Last edited by texaspandj; 09-22-18 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-22-18, 01:47 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
What is a Tri bike.?? You talking a 3 wheel recumbent.??
Old 09-22-18, 02:07 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Gee-whizzz, alls I no is that this 63yo and then 64yo on my road bike passed bunches of much younger riders on their Tri Bikes during my 2013 and 2014 Ironman Florida 112 mile segments.

Sure must be nice riding one of those spiffy tri bikes though.
Old 09-22-18, 02:54 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Just weighing in for my $.01.

If you are planning on doing more halfs or even a full Ironman, might be worth it to get a tri bike. Shorter distances or not the training required for the Ironman, maybe just throw an aero bar on the road bike for those moments when it's windy. I raced numerous shorter (Olympic and shorter) team tri's on a regular road bike with a Profile bar added on and was generally fine, but I wasn't running after. I also added a Profile forward seatpost that emulates the seat tube angle (generally around 78 deg.) of a real tri bike. That was OK, but generates it's own handling issues as your upper body weight is now way forward over the h-bar. A dedicated triathlon bike deals with this by changing the front center position of the body so handling is neutral.

As others have stated, the geometry of a tri bike does help the transition for the run. Another consideration is the type of course, I ride with 2 trigeeks and on some half and full Ironmans that are hilly, they use their road bikes.
Old 09-22-18, 04:59 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts

Aero tubing on my bike is the only thing thst could possibly yield better results for me BUT, i aint gonna ride one of them. I feel i get a better all around position on my bike
Old 09-22-18, 05:55 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
My tri bike has a 78 seat angle and a 70.5 head angle. You think you're going to get the benefits of this extreme (but effective) geometry by monkeying with your conventional road bike's seat post and seat rails, and slapping on some aero bars? Ain't going to happen. No ways, no hows. If you're serious about tri, there is no substitute for a real tri bike.
Yeah, agree with this. Profile still makes a seat post that allows a seat position approximating 78deg., but it’s a kludge solution as it does throw off the handling. Cheaper then a new bike though....

https://profile-design.com/products/...orward-alloy-1
Old 09-23-18, 04:16 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fastest bike in a local time trial was a cervelo r4 or something with bolt on aero bars and hed wheels
Old 09-24-18, 10:52 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
... Tri bikes are fun to ride...
...says the first person in recorded history to have that viewpoint. I suppose that root canals and having broken bones re-set are also a hoot...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.