Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My front wheel release is coming loose on rides

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 05:14 AM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Basically like the title of this thread states. I am tightening it and making sure the closed side is just like the rear wheel. But after riding this past weekend and yesterday, both times when I went to take the wheel off and put the bike back in the car, the release was loose.

Is there something I missing? Do these releases need to be replaced after a while?

Sorry if this a dumb question.
Old 10-03-18, 06:11 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
When you tighten, are you folding the lever over like intended? FWIW, I once had a QR set on which the levers didn't fold over past a hard spot into a looser spot. (I'm describing that poorly. Maybe over-center is the word I"m looking for). The result was that it took trivial finger pressure to start the levers going loose, and I trashed them and bought better.
Old 10-03-18, 06:41 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Two things...

...first, is it an internal cam or external cam type skewer? Post a photo of the head.

Second, describe how you know you've reached the tightness point before you throw the lever to fully lock it. What is you method?
Old 10-03-18, 06:41 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
To do it right the lever should be open

Then tighten the bolt on the other side until it's just touching the frame (this is a variable...you may have to tighten it a little more on your bike)

Then close the lever. It should take some force to be able to close it. If it closes super easy with one finger, it's too loose. Conversely you shouldn't have to put all your weight into closing it either. If you do it's too tight.

I've seen people try to just hand tighten the screw with the level closed. That will fail every time.

If you're doing it right and it's still loosening up, the quick release may be bad. They are relatively cheap and easy to replace.
Old 10-03-18, 06:44 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
What JG says is correct. The skewer levers should go from a point of peak resistance to a lower resistance when fully engaged. There is an elliptical contour built into the skewers that allows this to happen. It may appear that the lever may sit too close to the spokes, but they should never make contact.
Old 10-03-18, 07:05 AM
Whatnot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are not alone, I have had the same thing happen to me to a lesser extent (twice in 7 months) on the front wheel with quick release of a cheap Wal-Mart Schwinn. I'm not sure the manufacturer of the wheel, but figured it happens because it's cheap and check the wheel regularly before rides.
Old 10-03-18, 07:19 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Rim brake or disc brake?
All disc brakes with the caliper positioned behind the wheel axle will exert a downward force on the axle during braking.
Under some conditions this can cause the wheel to shift and/or allow the q/r to work its way loose.
The available cure is to use a high-quality, internal-cam q/r, and close it hard.
Old 10-03-18, 10:26 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Yes, missing something.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...-b-1#kpvalbx=1
Old 10-03-18, 10:27 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
It's not a dumb question because it's really happening to you and is definitely a potential danger.

1. If you are using your QR lever like a wing nut, that's your problem.
The right way to tighten it is to hold the lever so that it's parallel with the axle and tighten the nut on the opposite side until it is barely finger tight. Then push your lever in so that it's flat. If it isn't pretty hard to do, you didn't do it right.

2. Another possible (but less likely) problem I thought about has to do with the "lawyer lips". If you are reinstalling your wheel with your bike upside down, you might not be getting the wheel bottomed in the dropouts.
Old 10-03-18, 10:31 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Didn't trek have a recall because the handle could go in the spokes and flip you?
Old 10-03-18, 11:47 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
Didn't trek have a recall because the handle could go in the spokes and flip you?
The issue was with the handle going into the brake disc iirc.
Old 10-03-18, 02:52 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Those were Shimano skewers. I'm still using one. Not on a Trek. On the drive side of the front wheel. Opposite the rotor.
The skewer will be replaced someday.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2006/sh...ng-fall-hazard
Old 10-03-18, 05:13 PM
Whatnot

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whatnot
You are not alone, I have had the same thing happen to me to a lesser extent (twice in 7 months) on the front wheel with quick release of a cheap Wal-Mart Schwinn. I'm not sure the manufacturer of the wheel, but figured it happens because it's cheap and check the wheel regularly before rides.
I checked my wheel and can't find anything on the rim, but the hub says "quando" on it and the quick release says "closed" on it. I don't know if the hub maker would also be the wheel maker... Ah jeez, what do mortys know about knowin' stuff?
Old 10-03-18, 07:08 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Are the threads good? It's only a 5mm thread, if it's bad on either the male or female thread then it may be jumping a thread during riding.

The lever itself should be closed all the way to it's stop (note any disc brake or spoke issues and use the drive side).

And ensure it takes a firm push, though i always found my thumb was just strong enough.
Old 10-03-18, 07:19 PM
advicepig

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This video is a good overview of how it should work.

Old 10-04-18, 09:12 AM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
It's not a dumb question because it's really happening to you and is definitely a potential danger.

1. If you are using your QR lever like a wing nut, that's your problem.
The right way to tighten it is to hold the lever so that it's parallel with the axle and tighten the nut on the opposite side until it is barely finger tight. Then push your lever in so that it's flat. If it isn't pretty hard to do, you didn't do it right.

2. Another possible (but less likely) problem I thought about has to do with the "lawyer lips". If you are reinstalling your wheel with your bike upside down, you might not be getting the wheel bottomed in the dropouts.
Thank you, I did what you said in point 1, it didn’t come loose. Thank You!
Old 10-04-18, 10:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
This can also happen if you install the wheel while the bike is on a rack. I always make sure the bike is right side up and on the ground before I close the QR.

"Lawyer lips"? It has a name? Why that one?
Old 10-04-18, 01:42 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This can also happen if you install the wheel while the bike is on a rack. I always make sure the bike is right side up and on the ground before I close the QR.

Easier to say and more descriptive than "wheel retention fork end ridges."
Old 10-04-18, 02:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Easier to say and more descriptive than "wheel retention fork end ridges."
I just looked up the origin of the name--they were reintroduced as a result of lawsuits over QR failure mishaps.
Old 10-04-18, 02:34 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
As the story goes:
BITD when society trusted people to accept responsibility for their own shortcomings, fork ends were smooth and wheel changes fast.
Supposedly, someone lost a wheel and promptly sued (=lawyer) the manufacturer for not doing enough to prevent wheel loss.
The manufacturers then retaliated against ALL cyclists by adding those ridges, costing us all precious seconds at every wheel change.
Old 10-04-18, 04:49 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
As I understand it, the bike industry tracked front wheel detachment failures -- on both nutted and QR axles -- for many years. I once found a transcript of a lawsuit, where I gathered that there were maybe a dozen or so incidents per year that the bike companies were aware of. This was a legal problem but also a straightforward engineering problem: Even if a failure mode is believed to be caused by user error, most engineers will try to design an error-prone user adjustment out of a product if it can be done with reasonable convenience.

Bike engineers started designing "secondary retention" for front wheels. An engineer at Schwinn patented one idea involving simple spring clips. Other companies tried without success to license the Schwinn patent, and eventually the industry settled on lawyer lips. Also, front wheel detachment failures virtually disappeared around the same time, so any hope of gathering good statistical data on the issue is lost.

Disclaimer: I'm neither a lawyer nor an engineer. Also, I prefer nutted axles or Brilando clips.
Old 10-05-18, 10:30 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
THe hidden internal cam skewers clamp tighter that the external exposed cam skewers. You can get them for $14.00 per set at VeloORANGE.
https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-...elease-skewers
Old 10-06-18, 06:57 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac

As the story goes:
BITD when society trusted people to accept responsibility for their own shortcomings, fork ends were smooth and wheel changes fast.
Supposedly, someone lost a wheel and promptly sued (=lawyer) the manufacturer for not doing enough to prevent wheel loss.
The manufacturers then retaliated against ALL cyclists by adding those ridges, costing us all precious seconds at every wheel change.
It only takes a few seconds to file or grind them off.
Although in some cases they should be left on.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-06-18 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-06-18, 11:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No, it was on disc brakes and untrained users put the lever into the disc,
User error,
but they found lawyers to shift the blame..

But if you put the QR lever on the opposite side of the fork from the disc
this won't be a problem.

the fork tip safety retention was added after a similar set of people did not close their QR properly, so found a Contingency % lawyer rather than taking any responsibility themselves.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-06-18 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-06-18, 01:15 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
OP, get someone with more experience to look at your skewering technique. Maybe go to a bike shop, I can't imagine they wouldn't help you.

Originally Posted by JanMM
Those were Shimano skewers. I'm still using one. Not on a Trek. On the drive side of the front wheel. Opposite the rotor.
The skewer will be replaced someday.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2006/sh...ng-fall-hazard
thanks for posting that. Looks like I might have a couple of those

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.