Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Hip Recovery Blog

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 11:15 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I went walking this morning and ran into some of my golf buddies! I’d planned to see if I could walk 9 holes with them but felt pretty good after 9 so I wound up walking all 18.

My longest walk before today was about 1 1/2 miles. Today was a little longer at 5-6 miles.......Even though it was start and stop I guess that’s progress????

Old 09-09-18, 09:14 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
You are doing great! I would try golf but I’m afraid I would get addicted and I don’t need anymore hobbies My cycling and fishing addiction cost enough already. A few years ago I spent a few days on the Outer Banks OBX and went to the famous lighthouse and the beach of course. I really like North Carolina very beautiful country and the people are very nice.
Old 09-11-18, 02:43 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
You are doing great! I would try golf but I’m afraid I would get addicted and I don’t need anymore hobbies My cycling and fishing addiction cost enough already. A few years ago I spent a few days on the Outer Banks OBX and went to the famous lighthouse and the beach of course. I really like North Carolina very beautiful country and the people are very nice.

We’ve traveled in every state in the US plus several other countries. There are several places I’m sure I’d enjoy living but NC has a lot to offer, especially with my hobbies.

Golf is a hard and frustrating activity, especially for newbies. I’ve been playing 55 years and gotten “proficient”. Lately I enjoyed the time spent with my buddies.

BTW, I walked another 5-6 miles with them Monday but got really tired the last several holes. But I felt great and even stronger this morning. So maybe “if it doesn’t kill you it makes you better “**********
Old 09-11-18, 02:52 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

We’ve traveled in every state in the US plus several other countries. There are several places I’m sure I’d enjoy living but NC has a lot to offer, especially with my hobbies.

Golf is a hard and frustrating activity, especially for newbies. I’ve been playing 55 years and gotten “proficient”. Lately I enjoyed the time spent with my buddies.

BTW, I walked another 5-6 miles with them Monday but got really tired the last several holes. But I felt great and even stronger this morning. So maybe “if it doesn’t kill you it makes you better “**********
Old 09-13-18, 12:17 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Yes if doesn’t kill you it will make you stronger.
Old 09-15-18, 02:44 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

I walked this morning in what’s now tropical storm Florence wet and breezy conditions. So far we haven’t gotten nearly the rain they forecasted for our area.
Old 10-23-18, 06:13 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Seasonal sand art!

This fella loves the sand and surf!

We took a family trip to a NC beach last week that had been rescheduled from August. I messed up the first trip as it was supposed to be the week after my bike crash. Fortunately the rental company was gracious enough to allow us to reschedule. Did a lot more walking. The longest walk was 8 miles.

The weather was perfect, especially for mid October.
Old 10-23-18, 06:23 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Another milestone…sort of.

My my surgeon wants me to wait until December to play golf. He’s okay with chipping and putting right now though. However I did some really easy test swings with a shorter club (gap wedge) and my hip felt pretty good. There was some tightness in the joint area but no pain.

So, I took a wedge and putter with me while walking with my golf buddies. I hit shots into the green from about 110 yards and then putted out. I hit the wedge solid and pretty much online which was very surprising after not swinging for 9 weeks. I made 3-2s over 9 holes which was very surprising.

I thought my wife would be happy for me but boy was I surprised. I got a pretty good scolding. I guess I’ll hold off a little longer????
Old 10-23-18, 10:02 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

Seasonal sand art!

We took a family trip to a NC beach last week that had been rescheduled from August. I messed up the first trip as it was supposed to be the week after my bike crash. Fortunately the rental company was gracious enough to allow us to reschedule. Did a lot more walking. The longest walk was 8 miles.

Whoa ... you're walking in sand? When I had my injury, that was a lot harder than anything else. When can your ride your bike?

Old 10-23-18, 10:39 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Biker395
Whoa ... you're walking in sand? When I had my injury, that was a lot harder than anything else. When can your ride your bike?
I’m allowed to ride a stationary bike now. I’ve been doing that and it feels fine. Riding outdoors will probably be around Thanksgiving. I go back to the Surgeon that week and he said we’d talk about both golf and riding at that visit.
Old 10-23-18, 10:42 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts

I’m allowed to ride a stationary bike now. I’ve been doing that and it feels fine. Riding outdoors will probably be around Thanksgiving. I go back to the Surgeon that week and he said we’d talk about both golf and riding at that visit.
Sweet! Nothing makes you appreciate the little things more than losing them for a spell.

Old 10-23-18, 05:18 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Seasonal sand art!

I was just going through my surf fishing equipment! Great pics now I want to go fishing. I have purchased a lot of surf fishing equipment from North Carolina vendors. Soon I will be hitting Padre National Seashore just south of Corpus Christi. I’m glad you’re recovery from that bike crash has gone well for you.
Old 10-24-18, 12:36 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

I was just going through my surf fishing equipment! Great pics now I want to go fishing. I have purchased a lot of surf fishing equipment from North Carolina vendors. Soon I will be hitting Padre National Seashore just south of Corpus Christi. I’m glad you’re recovery from that bike crash has gone well for you.
What do you normally catch from the surf?

It's been a while since I've done any surf fishing but I used to catch spots, puffers, perch, croackers, whiting..........and when the blues were running it was a blast. But now NC requires a fishing license even when surf fishing and I haven't taken the time to get one. When I was a kid I'd get up before sunrise and fish in the surf for hours.
Old 10-24-18, 12:43 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

While walking with my golf buddies this morning I found 50 golf balls in 5 holes. Here’s 25+ balls that I found beside the #12 green.

The underbrush has thinned out and I know where golfers tend to spray their shots. If I did this for a month I wonder if I could sell enough to buy another bike????
Old 10-24-18, 04:59 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

What do you normally catch from the surf?

It's been a while since I've done any surf fishing but I used to catch spots, puffers, perch, croackers, whiting..........and when the blues were running it was a blast. But now NC requires a fishing license even when surf fishing and I haven't taken the time to get one. When I was a kid I'd get up before sunrise and fish in the surf for hours.

redfish, black drum. speckled trout, pompano, whiting ( kingfish in NC ) jackfish, bluefish, tarpon, spanish mackerel, hardhead catfish ( tourist trout ), mullet for bait, several species of sharks, stingrays, different species of pinfish such as perch used for bait, flounder. Similar to NC surf fishing but striped bass extremely rare. We have hybrid stripers in fresh water lakes. I forgot about croakers big ones good to eat small ones great bait.
Old 10-25-18, 10:10 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Another milestone!! Off the exercise bike and now on the trainer!!!

Opted for the Cervélo to start with as the bars are slightly higher and it’s 10 speed. My trainer wheel is also 10 speed (older wheel and tire).
Pedaling felt great, no soreness or stiffness. I was also able to unclip, I was worried about kicking my foot out but it wasn’t an issue.

Other than being way out of shape, the biggest issue was mounting the bike. With limitations how the angle I can lift my leg, I couldn’t comfortably swing my good leg over the frame to get on the bike. Putting a stool beside the bike solved that.

i didn’t ride too long as I needed to see how the joint would respond to pedaling a load.

It was also the first time I put on my cycling shoe.......and I was able to bend enough to buckle and unbuckle it. I’m glad I didn’t have to call my neighbor to help!

I did realize that I can’t remove or install my cleat covers right now with the shoe on. Hopefully I’ll get enough flexibility over time where I can use them. They’ve been helpful in keeping grit off the cleat and on the pedal surface.
Old 10-25-18, 10:14 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

From the cockpit.
Old 12-19-18, 07:22 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Been nearly 2 months, how is the recovery progressing? I remember putting a stool beside the trainer, also! My first big dilemma came on my first outdoor ride. I dismounted in town, forgetting about remounting, but was able to with the bike in the road and me standing up on the curb made it all good. Keep up the progress, it'll all come back to like before!
Old 12-19-18, 09:19 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Dann, thanks for asking. The surgeon has essentially lifted all my restrictions. I’m back to riding outdoors and playing golf M-F. My hip feels fine on the bike. I’m slowly building up for longer rides. Sunday I rode 50 miles and felt like I could have ridden at least 20 miles. The biggest issues on the bike are the extra weight I gained and some hopefully power loss from just not riding.

At first it was challenging to swing a leg over the saddle for mounting and dismounting but it seems to be getting better. It feels like golf is actually stretching out the hip muscles and tissues. All else is good!
Old 12-23-18, 05:39 PM
R32Hoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have done well. I am 56 and just had a left total hip replacement 18 days ago for congenital hip dysplasia. Had the other hip replaced at age 49 for the same thing. Last time I was on the outdoor bike after the 5th week. Today I rode outdoors for about 10 miles with Look Keo pedal plates so I could use sneakers and not worry about un-clipping. Welcome to the club. I hope we both regain power and stamina to get back to our pre op fitness levels. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-18, 04:00 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by R32Hoo
You have done well. I am 56 and just had a left total hip replacement 18 days ago for congenital hip dysplasia. Had the other hip replaced at age 49 for the same thing. Last time I was on the outdoor bike after the 5th week. Today I rode outdoors for about 10 miles with Look Keo pedal plates so I could use sneakers and not worry about un-clipping. Welcome to the club. I hope we both regain power and stamina to get back to our pre op fitness levels. Happy Holidays!
Thanks! Same to you!

I did my first post surgery group ride yesterday. I was okay the first 20 miles but really struggled on the hills after that. I went from pulling the group to falling off the back big time. Hopefully strength and conditioning will return eventually.
Old 12-28-18, 11:39 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Just read your thread. I want to offer my experience to you. I, also, have a THR in my right hip. I've had it since October of 2007. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Patience was my biggest nemesis. But, I was amazed at how good it felt even after 6 months. After a year, I honestly didn't even think about it. Keep up the smart approach, listen to your Dr. and PT's. Enjoy every new ability as they return. Blessings, Doug
Old 12-29-18, 10:12 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by eatontkd
Just read your thread. I want to offer my experience to you. I, also, have a THR in my right hip. I've had it since October of 2007. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Patience was my biggest nemesis. But, I was amazed at how good it felt even after 6 months. After a year, I honestly didn't even think about it. Keep up the smart approach, listen to your Dr. and PT's. Enjoy every new ability as they return. Blessings, Doug

Thank you. The biggest thing I’m noticing right now is how much slower I am on hills. Some of it the weight I’ve gained. But a lot of it is a lower power output. I sure hope some of that comes back......
Old 01-08-19, 10:31 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I need to get back on my bikes but this darn foot keeps swelling up. It is healing nicely but the swelling will go on for awhile. I think I will start lifting some weights in the meantime,it will do me some good.
Old 01-10-19, 07:10 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

I need to get back on my bikes but this darn foot keeps swelling up. It is healing nicely but the swelling will go on for awhile. I think I will start lifting some weights in the meantime,it will do me some good.
Tough luck! Hang in there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.