Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Feeling guilty about a new bike

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Feeling guilty about a new bike

Old 04-17-19, 05:12 PM
tabl10s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
I've been riding a 2014 Trek Domane 4.3. It's a good bike, no real complaints. 105 drive train.
Prior to this, I had a Giant OCR2 for ten years.

Both bikes were the 'reasonable' choice, not super expensive, just....well....decent machines.

I'm retiring in June..yay! And I'm thinking...."Just once in my life, I'd like to do something outside the box. Forgo the 'reasonable'. Reward myself for 40 years in the work force."

I've had my eye on a Trek Domane SLR7 Disc, a significant upgrade to my current model. Electronics, disc brakes, lighter weight. Yes, it's stupid money compared to what I've done all these years. And yes, I can afford the financial hit. It won't change anything about our retirement spreadsheets. My wife said "Just don't tell me what it cost." Fair enough.

But this nags at me. Is it really worthwhile to do this for an improved frame, probably a pound of savings, some brake advantages and fancy shifting? I do ride several thousand miles a year so it's not like it will just sit in the garage. Yeah, I know it won't really make me faster.

Crap. I hate when "Mr. Reasonable" stomps on my left shoulder.
Get what you want. I don't ask for permission and I'm about to purchase a fifth bike(will sell one because of space constraints).

I was going to pay the car off 20 months ago but bought a bike instead that's now, no longer available in my size or new.
Old 04-19-19, 03:40 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
Went to the LBS today, a Trek factory owned store.

One of my questions was about weight of the bike compared to my current 4.3. They weighed both. The 4.3 came in around 19 pounds. I was really surprised at this as I had swapped out wheels for some William's 30's that come in at 1540. wow...how much did this weigh when I had the OEM ones?!

The SLR7 around an ounce under 18. That includes platform pedals vs my Speedplays. Adjusting for the Bolt I had on there, etc. (I removed bottles and saddle bag), etc. I am guessing I'll pick up roughly a pound difference, maybe a touch under. That's pretty good when you consider that the SLR has discs and a battery.

So credit card in hand, we discussed price. This time the quote was for several hundred dollars more. When I questioned it, I was told the price I got last week was for a white frame and I want the blue. BTW, there is no upcharge for the blue frame on the website.

The manager I dealt with originally wasn't there so will have to wait until Monday to see if he can bring that price where I want it. They were very nice about, just could not match the price without his approval.

After getting some questions answered
Old 04-20-19, 04:52 PM
nesdog

Ah heck. May go back and look at the white. It's kinda clean.....and then I'd get the bike right away.

BTW, has anyone swapped out the OEM bars for the compact version? I think that is what is on my current 4.3 while the new one is VR.
Old 04-20-19, 05:40 PM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
nesdog, hope you found your bike!

Picked up a '19 Roubaix Comp - Ultegra Di2 today. A so-so discount sealed the deal now that the 2020 model is out.

Overcame the guilt as soon as I felt the Di2.

Congrats on your upcoming retirement.
Old 04-20-19, 06:03 PM
nesdog

Originally Posted by rnothog
nesdog, hope you found your bike!

Picked up a '19 Roubaix Comp - Ultegra Di2 today. A so-so discount sealed the deal now that the 2020 model is out.

Overcame the guilt as soon as I felt the Di2.

Congrats on your upcoming retirement.
That is a nice bike! I considered it also. Glad you got a deal. I'm hoping to wrap up something by Monday afternoon.
Counting down the days to retirement, last week in June.
Old 04-21-19, 09:26 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I retired about a year and a half ago. At the time I had put on a bunch of weight and wasn't in shape at all but still had my Defy Advanced Pro 1 which I hoped to get back on some day so I kept it when relocating after retiring. Fast forward to today and things have changed somewhat. I've dropped 85 lbs., have been able to stop taking my blood pressure meds since my BP is now normal, started really paying attention to nutrition for the first time and am now in the best shape of my life (relative to my age). It wasn't by design but rather a kind of cascade effect where one thing led to another and things kind of snowballed. I finally started riding again about a month ago and now I can't wait until my next ride.

Anyway, I loved the Defy but really wanted to go with a wider tire since a lot of the riding I do now is on rough county roads and it would only fit 25c and some 28c but not others. At least that was my justification So Tuesday I'm picking up my new Domane SL6. I have had some mild feelings of guilt since the Defy was in great shape but I figure I'm not getting any younger and I'd better enjoy riding while I still can. Of course, I used the new bike as an excuse to upgrade computers and ordered an Elemnt Bolt today w/ K-Edge combo mount to replace my ancient Edge 500. I did show some restraint since I wanted the SL7 with Di2 but didn't want to spend that much. So now I'm already making plans for a winter upgrade project to retrofit the new bike with Di2 which should be a fun project.
Old 04-21-19, 09:53 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I'll get back
on my pedals one day
the good Lord willing (if he says I may)
I know that the bike I'm riding's no good
Get a brand new Trek, ride the bike that I should
Old 04-22-19, 08:13 AM
nesdog

Originally Posted by August West
I retired about a year and a half ago. At the time I had put on a bunch of weight and wasn't in shape at all but still had my Defy Advanced Pro 1 which I hoped to get back on some day so I kept it when relocating after retiring. Fast forward to today and things have changed somewhat. I've dropped 85 lbs., have been able to stop taking my blood pressure meds since my BP is now normal, started really paying attention to nutrition for the first time and am now in the best shape of my life (relative to my age). It wasn't by design but rather a kind of cascade effect where one thing led to another and things kind of snowballed. I finally started riding again about a month ago and now I can't wait until my next ride.

Anyway, I loved the Defy but really wanted to go with a wider tire since a lot of the riding I do now is on rough county roads and it would only fit 25c and some 28c but not others. At least that was my justification So Tuesday I'm picking up my new Domane SL6. I have had some mild feelings of guilt since the Defy was in great shape but I figure I'm not getting any younger and I'd better enjoy riding while I still can. Of course, I used the new bike as an excuse to upgrade computers and ordered an Elemnt Bolt today w/ K-Edge combo mount to replace my ancient Edge 500. I did show some restraint since I wanted the SL7 with Di2 but didn't want to spend that much. So now I'm already making plans for a winter upgrade project to retrofit the new bike with Di2 which should be a fun project.
Wow, nice recovery getting into shape! I also have the Bolt that replaced my 500. Really like the features on it.

I'm off to the shop later this morning to see if I can pull together the pieces of this buy and get this out of my head already. It's exhausting!
Old 04-22-19, 07:40 PM
nesdog

It...is...done!

Picked up my new SLR7 Disc today! Just rode on my street, tomorrow will see if I have the time to get out for a proper ride. Will take a bit of time to see how well they transferred my fit numbers. Probably will have to make adjustments here and there. Boy this ride is smooth, even compared to my earlier Domane.

Thank you all for your feedback, support and stories. I appreciate the community spirit of this forum. You will know it's me on the bike by the big smile on my face!
Old 04-23-19, 10:36 AM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Lemond Poprad, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 162 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!
Old 04-25-19, 01:38 PM
yves845

Bikes: Santos travelmaster2.8 ; Brompton titanium ; R&M Load speed

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
DO IT, no remorse, no nothing, if you want to buy it just buy it, or even something a little more sexy. Sure you will go really faster with a bike you're proud of.
Do not hesitate to pay a bit of extras if you want.
Old 04-25-19, 01:54 PM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Lemond Poprad, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
It...is...done!

Picked up my new SLR7 Disc today! Just rode on my street, tomorrow will see if I have the time to get out for a proper ride. Will take a bit of time to see how well they transferred my fit numbers. Probably will have to make adjustments here and there. Boy this ride is smooth, even compared to my earlier Domane.

Thank you all for your feedback, support and stories. I appreciate the community spirit of this forum. You will know it's me on the bike by the big smile on my face!
Pics of the new bike???
Old 04-25-19, 02:09 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

I’m really glad you pulled the trigger, it sounds like it rides like a dream.
Old 04-25-19, 08:29 PM
nesdog

I will post a couple of pix in a day or two when I get a chance.

Still trying to get the fit adjusted.Not quite there.

Got in 24 miles yesterday and really happy with the performance. It seems to spin up quicker than my 4.3. Given the 35mm wheels, I had thought the winds would be an issue when we hit them. Nothing at all, just ignored the breezes.

I'm not great with the shifters yet. Well, okay on the rear but front I keep messing up. I notice also the front end of this bike is more responsive.
Old 04-28-19, 03:38 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
No reason to feel guilty in any way. I assume you mean DI2 (fancy shifting)? I would never go back to mechanical after using DI2. Life is short- enjoy.

Last edited by Jumpski; 04-28-19 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Spelling