Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

White Jersey?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

White Jersey?

Old 05-16-19, 02:58 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
White Jersey?

I was driving today and saw a rider in a white jersey.

The white jersey was very visible and it occurred to me how little in the environment is white. Is it possible that white is the proverbial "Stylish high-vis?"

All the white I've ever worn gets dingy around the collar. Anti-perspirants tend to discolor the armpits. Etc.

I've been eyeing a white Rapha Pro Team Flyweight jersey for a while but keeping it clean is holding me back. Most manufacturers caution against harsh detergents and bleach.

For those who wear white, how do you keep it clean?

-Tim-
Old 05-16-19, 03:09 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
I just bought a Pactimo Jersey in white. Just received so it hasn't been worn yet but I haven't had much sweat stain problems with the high tech fabrics. Mine get washed in a front loader on the "Ultra Handwash" setting with cold water and hang them up to dry.

I did have a long sleeve white jersey that I got caught out in the rain in. The splatter stripe up the back never came clean.
Old 05-16-19, 04:00 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Hang dry.

The dryer heat sets and discolors the antiperspirant left in the pits after washing.
Old 05-16-19, 04:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Not just antiperspirants, but some sunscreens can make some nice orange stains.
Old 05-16-19, 04:38 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I hand wash and line dry everything.
Old 05-16-19, 05:05 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Good info guys.

For cycling clothes I use the front loader with Woolite and hang dry already but none of my cycling clothes are white.

I've also switched to a non-staining deodorant, Degree Black and White, not just for cycling clothes.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not just antiperspirants, but some sunscreens can make some nice orange stains.
Interesting. Thanks.

Any idea which don't stain?

-Tim-
Old 05-16-19, 05:31 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
It's so hot here in summer (Tucson) that I often buy white jerseys to get any benefit I can muster. Whenever it's an option, I opt for jerseys trimmed in something other than white around the collar because the nasty sweat/sunscreen ring seems impossible to get out.

This random example even has the pits covered!

Likes For GuitarBob:
Old 05-16-19, 05:57 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Are we doing Fashion Shoots and or TV ads now or wearing the kit that makes sense in our local environment and keep it in service w/ routine maintenance like any other clothing one wears?

PS: The Wisk lady is not watching and judging ring around the collar........

Last edited by Bandera; 05-16-19 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 06:03 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
I owned a set of Service Dress Whites and a choker jacket. They became dirty within seconds of donning. I couldn't even keep the damn hat clean.

When I was an intern and resident, I wore white pants because it was cool in those days. They always had hints of chain grease on the inside of the right cuff along with the usual body fluids.

In answer to your question, bleach, which was okay on nasty old poly/cotton twill.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 05-16-19 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 06:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
It's so hot here in summer (Tucson) that I often buy white jerseys to get any benefit I can muster. Whenever it's an option, I opt for jerseys trimmed in something other than white around the collar because the nasty sweat/sunscreen ring seems impossible to get out.

This random example even has the pits covered!

Same.

This is my favorite team kit, from 6 or 7 seasons ago.

Old 05-16-19, 07:51 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Are we doing Fashion Shoots and or TV ads now or wearing the kit that makes sense in our local environment and keep it in service w/ routine maintenance like any other clothing one wears?

PS: The Wisk lady is not watching and judging ring around the collar........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeakPcsccyY
This.
People are seriously concerned about the possibility of deodorant stains in their armpits?
wow...
Old 05-16-19, 08:48 PM
insignia100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 47 Posts
I'll say that when I switched from a hi-viz yellow motorcycle helmet to a white helmet I felt that more people noticed me. Anecdotal at best, but I won't go back to any other colored helmet. I also noticed further improvement when I added a safety vest over my motorcycle jacket.

I did just buy a hi-viz yellow bike helmet, and when I start riding on the road I'll probably add a white shirt. The opposite of my motorcycle getup, but considering a bike helmet is significantly smaller and less conspicuous than a full face motorcycle helmet, I'd rather have the larger item -- my shirt -- be white.
Old 05-16-19, 09:24 PM
bluezurich
Team Concussed/AARP

Bikes: Pinarello Stelvio, Ritchey Logic, Trek Roscoe 8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
visible jerseys and helmets

I am a white helmet wearer as well. It just seems to 'pop'. Most of my jerseys tend to be black and white combos as I like neutrals and monochrome in most things. I think simple patterns, think block-y, stand out better than busy multicolored which tend to become more camo-esque when moving fast and darting around.

Last edited by bluezurich; 05-16-19 at 09:26 PM. Reason: To add attachment
Old 05-16-19, 09:33 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Solid white is anything is tough to keep pristine, same goes for street clothes. maybe I’m just a slob or live in a dirty city.

I do have several jerseys with white panels. Washing as soon as possible help keeps whites bright, and occasionally i’ll add a small scoop of Oxy clean to washer with my cycling clothes, without ill effect, but you didn’t hear this from me.
Old 05-16-19, 09:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
A lot of people can pull white off, I don't think I'm one of them. Great color to have on in the hot sun. Other cyclists wear it sometimes and a big patch of white does seem to be more noticeable.

I have some non-cycling high tech gear that I go out and sweat in and a lot of the newer fabrics seem to hold up really well to this.
Old 05-17-19, 01:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I have two white cycling tops: one a Champion long sleeve UV tee, no pockets; the other a Bontrager Circuit jersey.

Mostly I got them for our hottest, sunniest days. But they do offer pretty good visibility without getting into the hi-viz yellow/green/orange safety uniform colors. I usually notice white jerseys at a distance better than darker colors. Anything is better than black. Sure, it looks good. But I wish my cycling friends understood that they're almost invisible wearing black, even in daylight. If they edge ride, they blend into the background under the shade from roadside trees. Almost any color is better, even green despite blending a bit into background foliage.

I usually handwash my dedicated cycling apparel -- usually Tide or Gain, giving about 20 minutes soak in a bucket in the tub with warm water. I'll use an enzyme pre-treat spray on the collars and armpits. Or just pour a little extra laundry soap on those areas and let it sit a minute before tossing into the bucket or washing machine.

If you have a washing machine with a long cycle for delicates, that's good enough. The trick is to give the enzymes in good laundry detergents enough time to work. They work best with 20-30 minute wash cycles or soaks. The long delicate cycles usually soak for that long, with only a few gentle agitations. Same thing I do with handwashing.

The Champion material is a little harder to clean. Some stains need spot treatment, probably where i splattered food or beverages. But it's cheaper material and costs around $10-$15 per shirt.

I seldom use antiperspirants or deodorants, so no problems with chemical stains. But I do use a lot of analgesic balms on my neck and shoulders for old injuries. Those can stain. The long soak in good detergent helps. Ditto pre-treat sprays.

Hydrogen peroxide usually gets any residual stains -- sweat, blood, whatever. Might take a few treatments. I've had kids and cats, so I've used the hydrogen peroxide treatment many times over the years to get stains out of bedding and mattresses. Seems to work best with real cotton balls, so I save those from every pill bottle for household cleaning later.

Bontrager Circuit jersey. Looks okay, fairly subtle black graphics. Good material, breathes and cleans well. It may be discontinued now.
Old 05-17-19, 04:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,302 Times in 7,232 Posts
Is it acceptable to wear a white jersey before Memorial Day and after Labor day?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-17-19, 05:23 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Interesting to read the opinions on visibility and white, this was something I was worrying about. I've been wearing an Under Armour long sleeve heat gear shirt. Totally revolutionized my summer riding. I'll wear it from 70°f to 100°f and it performs incredibly. Even with sunblock I used to have heat fatigue but not anymore!

I just toss it into the wash and dry it to a crisp. It doesn't have noticable stains, but it's also probably not as 'ice white' as it first was. I'm not as meticulous with my clothing but I have yet to have a stain noticably set in. It's still in great shape coming into the second season.

Originally Posted by canklecat
I have two white cycling tops: one a Champion long sleeve UV tee, no pockets; the other a Bontrager Circuit jersey.
I have one of those Champions also, it's just a little heavier then my Under Armour long sleeve.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Is it acceptable to wear a white jersey before Memorial Day and after Labor day?
I wish my climate allowed me to do that!
Old 05-17-19, 05:33 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Interesting. Thanks.

Any idea which don't stain?

-Tim-
Evidently any with Avobenzone, which is probably a good number of them. The best advice is to apply the sunscreen (especially if you wear it under your clothes - ie. mesh summer wear) at least 15 minutes before putting on your gear so that it's completely absorbed into the skin.
Old 05-17-19, 07:24 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Evidently any with Avobenzone, which is probably a good number of them. The best advice is to apply the sunscreen (especially if you wear it under your clothes - ie. mesh summer wear) at least 15 minutes before putting on your gear so that it's completely absorbed into the skin.
Great conversation, Thanks.

Apparently Thinksport doesn't contain Avobenzone and is highly rated. I might pick up some tonight. It is in stock at the local REI and I'm heading there anyway to pick up an order.

-Tim-
Old 05-17-19, 07:43 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Great conversation, Thanks.

Apparently Thinksport doesn't contain Avobenzone and is highly rated. I might pick up some tonight. It is in stock at the local REI and I'm heading there anyway to pick up an order.

-Tim-
Sounds good.. though lotions like that are instead made with zinc oxide and provide white stains.. so avoid using with dark clothing.
Old 05-17-19, 08:14 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
The replica KOM jerseys for the TdF are pretty darn visible. White and red dots. Lol. Can't miss that.

Especially a good one for pissing off the Velominati lovers.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-17-19, 08:52 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Sounds good.. though lotions like that are instead made with zinc oxide and provide white stains.. so avoid using with dark clothing.
We can't win!!!

Franciscans have it right. Just wear grey all the time.

-Tim-
Old 05-17-19, 08:52 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I have a number of white jerseys. A couple of mountain bike and one road bike style. They are probably a little dingy, but I've had them for years and years and don't really care. I wash in machine and line dry.
Old 05-17-19, 10:54 AM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I have a couple of cheap white jerseys that I wear periodically. The most effective way to clean - a pot of hot water on the stove (near boiling). Takes care of most everything, especially the funk that comes with plastic clothes.

I won't do that with my good jerseys though. Front load washer and hang to dry with anything nice(ish).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.