Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Preset 40 n/m Harbor Freight torque wrench failed me

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-19, 08:16 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts

I keep a Harbor Freight 1/2 drive torque wrench preset with a 19mm socket to take a Shimano lockring tool. The units are in foot pounds so I looked up the conversion to newton meters on a chart. I want to say 40 n/m is about 19 ft/pounds. I like to pop my cassette in an ultrasonic cleaner and re-install it fairly quickly while I’m doing my chain waxing.

I have it set & have left the dial on the same setting. Previously it clicked reliably when the HG lockring was at the specified torque.

It worked fine last week on my 9 speed Dura Ace 7700 wheel. Today I was working on a 10 speed SRAM cassette on another Dura Ace 7700 hub.

Well I cleaned the SRAM cassette & reinstalled it. I proceeded to tighten down the lock ring, waiting for a click. Well it didn’t click so I kept going - then something snapped!

Bummer! The snap I felt was not the torque wrench clicking, it was something now broken. I know this because the cassette was now loose.

So I removed the lock ring & inspected for damage. Strange thing is, I couldn’t find any.

Just for the hell of it, I tightened it again - by feel only and everything tightened up OK or so it seems.

could anyone speculate if I broke something? I will do a test ride around the neighborhood before embarking on a more serious ride.

Last edited by masi61; 06-10-19 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-09-19, 08:51 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
40 N-m is around 29.5 ft-lbs.

You should not keep a torque wrench permanently set at torque. After use you need to release it and leave it loose.

If you heard a snap, and the cassette became loose (define how it became loose), you almost certainly broke something. Did the ring come off the hub body? Are you sure it isn't cracked? Threads deformed? Is the freehub body damaged - thread deformed or body cracked?
Old 06-09-19, 09:16 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Harbor Freight is to tools what Walmart is to bicycles.

Also, 40 Newton X meter = 29.5 pound X foot

In my experience lock rings kind of go on less than smoothly, so maybe that is all that happened. If you didn't damage the thread, and the cassette behaves normally, it is probably ok.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 06-09-19 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-09-19, 09:25 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Harbor Freight is to tools what Walmart is to bicycles.
In my experience many Harbor Freight tools are better suited to their purposes than Wal-Mart bicycles. They are also nice to modify if I need to, for example, grind down a wrench for a special job, and would rather not do that to my Craftsman or Snap-On tools.
Old 06-09-19, 10:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Harbor Freight is all about getting you cheap stuff, spend more money for better tools and be less disappointed..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-09-19, 10:39 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I should copy this as I post it every few months. Neighbor brought his HF torque wrench over as he was suspicious it was an issue. Calibration showed it was dropping every thing but the lowest levels. Took it back with him to the store and the manager said "...we will change it out but wait for after next weekend parking lot sale to clear current inventory, after that we will have a new batch in and they should be OK, you do not want one off our shelf just now."
Return to "0" and periodically calibrate, lots of you tube videos on how to do calibration.
Old 06-09-19, 10:45 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I’ve bought a fair number of automotive and power tools from HF, and they’ve been pretty good. The thing to watch out for is the somewhat spotty QC, resulting in the occasional “dud”, but their return policy is good, so just return it until you get a good one. I will say that the large torque wrench (50-150 ft.lb) I got there was nowhere near the quality of a larger (50-250 ft.lb) Kobalt wrench that I got from Lowes. HF aren’t pro-level, but if you don’t abuse them, they’re adequate for home mechanic use
Old 06-09-19, 11:37 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by CyclingFool95
40 N-m is around 29.5 ft-lbs.

You should not keep a torque wrench permanently set at torque. After use you need to release it and leave it loose.

If you heard a snap, and the cassette became loose (define how it became loose), you almost certainly broke something. Did the ring come off the hub body? Are you sure it isn't cracked? Threads deformed? Is the freehub body damaged - thread deformed or body cracked?
Right now I’m not sure if it’s not cracked. I did not see any damage upon initial inspection. When I say the cassette was loose, I mean it had side to side play on the freehub body. I’m thinking that the soft aluminum threads of the SRAM HG lockring slipped out of the titanium internal threads of the Dura Ace 7700 freehub body. Replacing the lock ring is obviously going to be much less speedy than if I just somehow ruined the freehub body.

I had wondered if I should have reset the torque wrench to zero then reset to the specified torque each use. Dang it!

This bike is supposed to be ridden 50+ miles for the Tuesday club ride.
Old 06-10-19, 05:49 AM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Originally Posted by masi61
I’m thinking that the soft aluminum threads of the SRAM HG lockring slipped out of the titanium internal threads of the Dura Ace 7700 freehub body. Replacing the lock ring is obviously going to be much less speedy than if I just somehow ruined the freehub body.

I had wondered if I should have reset the torque wrench to zero then reset to the specified torque each use. Dang it!
It's more likely the aluminum ring would fail than the titanium, but check it carefully. While it tightened up okay after, I'd be concerned that the first time there's some significant load on the cassette, the ring pops out if there's damage.

"Failure" mechanism for a torque wrench kept loaded is that the spring may weaken, so, if anything, it's not delivering the torque you think it is.

As an aside, I test my HF 3/8" wrench on the tester in the metrology lab at work. It's still reasonably accurate (within 15%), and this allows me to compensate when setting it:
Old 06-10-19, 06:03 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
A beam type torque wrench is both cheap and reliable. Never goes out of calibration. Much preferable to a cheap click type torque wrench.
Old 06-10-19, 07:47 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Have you taken the cassette off and really closely looked at everything?

It sounds like a spacer at the cassette body deformed. Or you thrashed the thread on the lockring. I guess it’s possible that some grit was in there and you smashed it, that is the best case scenario.

I own two torque wrenches. I see value in having them. I think you also need to get comfortable with doing things by feel. If for no other reason than to set off the inner alarm that something isn’t right.
Old 06-10-19, 08:00 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Nessism
A beam type torque wrench is both cheap and reliable. Never goes out of calibration. Much preferable to a cheap click type torque wrench.
This is the kind that is always used with ultra-centrifuge caps. I think they are considered the most user-proof, and cracking an ultra-centrifuge tube can result in a major disaster, so it has to be right. Also, they are usually bi-directional. I don't know why they are scoffed at.
Old 06-10-19, 08:17 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Beam torque wrenches are great but can't always be used at an angle which makes reading the scale convenient.

Sometimes the bolt is just at an awkward angle and reading the scale is not even possible. This is when a click wrench makes more sense.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 06-10-19, 08:33 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
There are a lot of people that are ham fisted and can screw up anything, even with a torque wrench.
Old 06-10-19, 08:42 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
The instructions for the torque wrenches I have (HF and Husky) indicate that the wrench should be turned back to zero after each use and 'exercised' by periodically turning them up towards the max. value and returned to zero.
Old 06-10-19, 09:47 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Have you taken the cassette off and really closely looked at everything?

It sounds like a spacer at the cassette body deformed. Or you thrashed the thread on the lockring. I guess it’s possible that some grit was in there and you smashed it, that is the best case scenario.

I own two torque wrenches. I see value in having them. I think you also need to get comfortable with doing things by feel. If for no other reason than to set off the inner alarm that something isn’t right.
I always used to do fine by doing things by feel. The last couple of years I have been starting to use torque wrenches more since I have more lightweight parts on my bikes. I had some recurring clicking sounds on my Flyte aluminum road bike last year which I could not immediately track down. So as part of doing my maintenance lately has been to try to use the torque wrench on parts where they list a torque spec right on the part. And since the Dura Ace hubs that I use are a little more exotic with the titanium freehub body I want to take precautions to not damage the splines in any way.
Old 06-10-19, 09:49 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by jlaw
The instructions for the torque wrenches I have (HF and Husky) indicate that the wrench should be turned back to zero after each use and 'exercised' by periodically turning them up towards the max. value and returned to zero.
This sounds reasonable. I plan on dialing mine back to zero when I'm done using it.
Old 06-10-19, 10:22 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Beam torque wrenches are great but can't always be used at an angle which makes reading the scale convenient.

Sometimes the bolt is just at an awkward angle and reading the scale is not even possible. This is when a click wrench makes more sense.

-Tim-
True, but I can think of no situation where this would apply on a bicycle.
Old 06-10-19, 12:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
HF isn't the tool you want if you use that tool often. However for occassional use, they are great because they are cheap. The only big and immediate difference between the HF torque wrench and the better ones I've used is that the HF doesn't have as perceptible a break as the others and it can easily be missed sometimes while tightening things. Over the long haul, I expect the HF will wear out sooner. But for the few times I use it, that might be after I'm gone.

P.S. Walmart bikes aren't bad bikes. They just aren't the bike for those that want to ride 100 plus miles a week. Just like HF isn't the tool for the person that needs to torque 100 nuts and bolts a week.
Old 06-10-19, 12:23 PM
CyclingFool95 

Originally Posted by Iride01
HF isn't the tool you want if you use that tool often. However for occassional use, they are great because they are cheap. The only big and immediate difference between the HF torque wrench and the better ones I've used is that the HF doesn't have as perceptible a break as the others and it can easily be missed sometimes while tightening things.
Thanks for making that point about the subtle break in HF wrenches. I meant to mention that to the OP that he might have missed the click. I was having that problem last night with my 1/4" wrench and stem bolts. You need to get close, and then just take it really slow.

Agree fully about HF tools for light use. They're rust prone, and not the most durable, but I'm only an occasional mechanic. I do tend to stay away from their power tools though.
Old 06-10-19, 12:35 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by CyclingFool95
Thanks for making that point about the subtle break in HF wrenches. I meant to mention that to the OP that he might have missed the click. I was having that problem last night with my 1/4" wrench and stem bolts. You need to get close, and then just take it really slow.

Agree fully about HF tools for light use. They're rust prone, and not the most durable, but I'm only an occasional mechanic. I do tend to stay away from their power tools though.
I think you’re right - I probably missed the click! And you also made a good point about going slow - I was in a hurry to wrap up mechanic work for the day that I was proceeding in a rushed manner. This isn’t my usual style.
Old 06-10-19, 12:56 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I have a 6' bar in my garage with S hooks at each end and a 1/2" socket welded in the center. I set it up to calibrate torque wrenches. A gallon jug of water comes out right about 8.33 pounds. At 3' out from the center that gives me 25 foot pounds of torque. The Harbor Freight torque wrenches are horribly calibrated but luckily they are easy to calibrate.

I recently calibrated mine to 50 foot pounds for some engine work that I was performing. My only question is how the linear it is.
Old 06-10-19, 01:05 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
The directions on my SK torque wrench say to set back to zero, after each use. Probably the same for the HF one, whoever made it. Just get another. HF tools are expected to be cheap and disposable.
Tim
Old 06-10-19, 01:10 PM
CyclingFool95 

Originally Posted by tkamd73
The directions on my SK torque wrench say to set back to zero, after each use. Probably the same for the HF one, whoever made it. Just get another. HF tools are expected to be cheap and disposable.
Tim
It does indeed. See #11
Old 06-10-19, 01:22 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by masi61
I think you’re right - I probably missed the click! And you also made a good point about going slow - I was in a hurry to wrap up mechanic work for the day that I was proceeding in a rushed manner. This isn’t my usual style.
Another trick (assuming the calibration is accurate): Set the wrench to 35Nxm first, get the click, and then set it to 40. It should only require a little bit more actual movement. Also, when setting it, overshoot the desired setting slightly and come back down to the correct value.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.