Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Delivery guy on ebike ran me off the road last evening

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Delivery guy on ebike ran me off the road last evening

Old 06-17-19, 07:02 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
You said this incident happened on "a bike path." Is that to say it's a dedicated MUP bike path? If so...you should report the incident to the police. All of the MUP bike paths that I've ever been on restrict "motorized vehicles." I would think that should include eBikes. File a complaint and provide them a description of the bike, operator, and everything else revelent. Of course it's unlikely that the cops with initiate an investigation. But if there are future complaints maybe then something will be done about it.

Dan
Old 06-17-19, 07:15 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
So what with the attitude? So I am going to press charges against some immigrant who probably doesn't have the means to higher a lawyer. No offense but as a Korean American I am not out to get people in trouble. Yeah what he did was stupid and could have seriously hurt me but I am fine and the bike seems fine. If you don't like the post that's fine but acting like the gate keeper of what people can and cant post is stupid. If my bike was stolen or I got in a car accident sure but ebikes are a licensed vehicle.
So because he's possibly (not a know fact) an immigrant and poor he shouldn't have to ride safely and we should ignore that there is a dangerous rider on the streets who could get someone killed?

That's insane.

The guy shouldn't have to follow local laws because he might not be able to defend himself in court if he breaks them?

What the what now?

Last edited by Skipjacks; 06-17-19 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-17-19, 08:43 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Moved from General Cycling discussion due to A&S content.
Old 06-17-19, 05:47 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
It is a pain sometimes to report people. It takes time and can cause other problems. You need to decide if the incident is serious enough to take action. One incident took place during the time I was in college and working and it involved a police report, court and later the individual stalking my family while I was at work. The individual went head on at me and did a face plant on a tree. Then he tried to make me liable for his injuries. when he got no satisfaction from the court he than obtained my address and several times intimidated my wife.
Old 06-18-19, 07:01 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
If you don’t at least report him to his place of work, you are condoning his behavior. Glad you are ok but I would at least stop in to his work and show them what he caused before he seriously hurts someone.
Old 06-18-19, 09:13 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
If you don’t at least report him to his place of work, you are condoning his behavior. Glad you are ok but I would at least stop in to his work and show them what he caused before he seriously hurts someone.
If he goes to his work he should bring a couple of witnesses along.
Old 06-18-19, 10:47 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Was it food? You didn't snag the goodies?

Oh NEVERMIND.
Old 06-19-19, 03:13 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
I guess at this point I am more concerned about the damages. The scratches are probably nothing more than that? I went over them with clear nail polish and then put 3M mastic tape on them. I went over the bikes for any of scratches or potential cracks and found nothing else

I guess it's a ride it and wait situation? or I should be all good?
Old 06-19-19, 04:10 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Some how a lot of cyclist must have a old foggyism gene in their make up. They rail against anything that is more modern than an 1890 safety bike. That would include bents, trikes, click shifting, clipless pedals, and now electric assisted bikes. With people like that running society we would still be driving Model Ts and flying Bi-planes.

The fact remains that everyone will get old and maybe need electric assist. At least they are out on the bike trails, instead of sitting in front of the boob tube rotting their brain, and rusting away!!!!!
Old 06-19-19, 04:23 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
place of work
It is possible that the tenor at his place of work might encourage fast delivery and not be too concerned with collateral damages. I'm not saying this is right if true, but if it is true the guy might get a raise if reported for fast riding, who knows.
Old 06-20-19, 03:18 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
yeah guys I think you are missing the point somewhat of my post. I am fine I am more concerned now about the long term health of my bike. I have even concerned switching to Motobecane Titanium to deal with the paranoia of paint chips and carbon cracks
Old 06-20-19, 04:03 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
yeah guys I think you are missing the point somewhat of my post. I am fine I am more concerned now about the long term health of my bike. I have even concerned switching to Motobecane Titanium to deal with the paranoia of paint chips and carbon cracks
The Internet is amazing, but real life still trumps the virtual. If a human bike mechanic can't find any damage after having seen, smelled, and salivated over your Scott, what exactly do you expect us to be able to do? Paranoia? I can help with that. Box up your bike and get it weighed at a shipping center. PM me with the information. I will take things from there, and you will soon be worry free! A nice Titanium replacement sounds like just the ticket to peace of ming
Old 06-23-19, 09:50 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Buck Rogers tried to get a piece of Ming for years, but at least Steve McGarrett finally succeeded at his Wo Fat die-t.
Old 06-29-19, 03:35 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
e-bikes are so fast they literally blow other cyclists off the road.