Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Opinion: how important is weight for a gravel bike?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Opinion: how important is weight for a gravel bike?

Old 12-20-18, 09:18 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Between 10watts resistance per tire and wind resistance apparently being meaningless at 15mph, I'm fascinated with recent comments in this thread.

certainly is attention grabbing.
You forgot getting in the same aero position on an mtb than the cx bike.
Old 12-21-18, 12:39 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Truth be told, generally people riding 26-30 lb steel framed gravel bikes don't give a damn about being aero. just like they don't care about speed. or average speeds, etc...

at the same time..... I'd just as soon ride my 26 lb. alloy hardtail than to ride a 26+ lb gravel bike. Swapping out the 800 ish gram 29er tires for a 440 gram 40c gravel tire would make my 29er a way better choice for gravel than those boat anchor gravel bikes.
Old 12-21-18, 07:28 AM
Jakedatc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
​​​​​​
because Ted rides what Cannondale gives him.
I have a sponsored friend that also rode her Super X to a high finish at Dirty Kanza, Gravel nationals, Overland etc. She much preferred that over the Slate.

Also Kaitie Keogh rode her Super X also to win dirty kanza.
Old 12-21-18, 08:29 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Which mountain bike tyres are these?
I know, right? They are 60mm Schwalbe S-One tires aka the big one. (yes they were horrible in the soft muddy patches - too much flotation, and no traction - but they are great on sand).

For reference:
they have 11-16 watts drag (depending on PSI)*
Continental gatorskins have 19-26watts drag (depending on PSI)
My Michelin race tires are 14-19 watts

My goal in this test wat to set the bikes up with similar rolling resistance and aero drag and see how compatible they were, given the mountain bike was heavier, had larger tires and somewhat different geometry.

They were amazingly similar in the first half of a 3 hour ride, but the weight (on rolling hills) just wore me out eventually.

In a short fast race ride, or riding into the wind, the gravel bike would have had the clear advantage with the drop bars. But again - the crossover between rolling resistance and aero is about 12-13mph, so aero isn't much of a hindrance at a casual endurance pace on a gravel ride.

Comparing 40 - 60mm tires - the big tires were super cush and had better traction in the soft (non muddy) stuff.

I wasn't really expecting the weight to make that much of a difference in endurance.

*ps: realistically they are going to have more resistance than 11 watts on a gravel ride, but it is an odd feeling to be riding on pavement at 15mph on a mountain bike and expending about as much energy as I would at 15mph on a high end skinny tire road bike.

Last edited by chas58; 12-21-18 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-21-18, 08:38 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
I have a sponsored friend that also rode her Super X to a high finish at Dirty Kanza, Gravel nationals, Overland etc. She much preferred that over the Slate.

Also Kaitie Keogh rode her Super X also to win dirty kanza.
Yeah, from what I have read, the top riders in that one are usually on cross bikes. Not sure why that is.
(please correct me, if I'm wrong, LOL).
Old 12-21-18, 04:03 PM
Jakedatc

Originally Posted by chas58
Yeah, from what I have read, the top riders in that one are usually on cross bikes. Not sure why that is.
(please correct me, if I'm wrong, LOL).
CX/Gravel. there is still 10k of climbing so in the vein of this thread.. weight will matter. and the Slate is NOT a light bike. very heavy for what 2" of travel that will bob on steep climbs.
Old 12-21-18, 04:30 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
CX/Gravel. there is still 10k of climbing so in the vein of this thread.. weight will matter. and the Slate is NOT a light bike. very heavy for what 2" of travel that will bob on steep climbs.
It sure is. It's an anvil of a bike at 20lbs for a size XL. Also by your last statement I can see that you have never ridden one. The Oliver with the correct amount of air on it for the weight of the rider and in lockout position will not bobble on a steep climb.
Old 12-21-18, 05:13 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
It sure is. It's an anvil of a bike at 20lbs for a size XL. Also by your last statement I can see that you have never ridden one. The Oliver with the correct amount of air on it for the weight of the rider and in lockout position will not bobble on a steep climb.
you don't pedal hard enough, that's why no bob.
next!
Old 12-21-18, 07:11 PM
Jakedatc

I did ride one. Felt sluggish as hell compared to my Mares CX and the Super X i also rode. could be the shock, the 40+ tire.. i dunno it felt slow and heavy.. i dont really care though. It has way more going on than I want and the Mares can do gravel and cx races and easy to work on.
Old 12-29-18, 10:15 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
The feeling between my Tamland and SuperX while climbing is noticeable. Whether the 6lbs difference is the reason, or the more aggressive geo, or whatever, is irrelevant to me. The SuperX is just more fun to ride. It's light and snappy and fun. It feels like a road bike with 40mm tires, and that makes this roadie happy.