Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Newbie ride problem, not sure if it’s me or cheap bike.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Newbie ride problem, not sure if it’s me or cheap bike.

Old 12-23-17, 10:36 AM
JohnnyB65

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I want all of you to know that I really appreciate all the advice everybody has given me. I didn’t realize this thread would go on this far and just wanted a couple of questions answered.

First I couldn’t understand why my turning was so rough and now I know it is from the knobby tires and not my bad shoulder.

Second I thought I was having an issue with my cassette, but I now know that it was me riding in the wrong gear.

So I did get both my questions answered although it was the opposite of what I was thinking. I started a previous thread explaining how this all came about.

I could have just bought a stationary bike, but I get so bored and depressed being stuck in the house.
Old 12-23-17, 04:30 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My next bike for this neighborhood, $60.

Just kidding, but probably a good idea around here.
Old 12-24-17, 03:34 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyB65
My next bike for this neighborhood, $60.

Just kidding, but probably a good idea around here.
Looks like a yard art neighbor had a tug of war with a C&V neighbor and won. Love the backwards fork distinctive.
Old 12-28-17, 07:53 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Looks like a yard art neighbor had a tug of war with a C&V neighbor and won. Love the backwards fork distinctive.
I like the rattle-canned front tire, too.
Old 01-04-18, 12:39 PM
fivefootnine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AH!

Read the title and the first thing I thought was... For sure its your bike! Go buy another one, this time give the Visa a real workout!

One of the age old rules...

N+1
Old 06-08-19, 08:27 AM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
So @JohnnyB65, what's the scoop?

I ran up on this one today and re-read it. Now at the 18 month or thereabouts later mark I'm curious to know the outcome.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 06-08-19, 09:55 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The OP hasn't logged in for over 16 months so he probably gave up after his last post about getting too many flats.
Old 06-09-19, 12:53 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I'm still around and I just wrote a long reply, but it got lost in the login process. This is the 3rd try to post and I just don't feel like rewriting it so hopefully this goes
Apparently I take too long to type, too; and often get kicked out before I can hit the 'submit' button. There are two strategies to avoid losing all your work:
1. Before submitting, always copy and past your whole posting into Notepad. That way it's preserved.
2. If you get a message that you need to be logged in before submitting, open another tab and in that second tab, go to BF and log in. Now you can to back to the first tab and re-submit.

So now we know you're still around but still don't know what your resolution was.
Old 06-09-19, 01:37 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Apparently I take too long to type, too; and often get kicked out before I can hit the 'submit' button. There are two strategies to avoid losing all your work:
1. Before submitting, always copy and past your whole posting into Notepad. That way it's preserved.
2. If you get a message that you need to be logged in before submitting, open another tab and in that second tab, go to BF and log in. Now you can to back to the first tab and re-submit.

So now we know you're still around but still don't know what your resolution was.
Thanks, I'm really busy right now m but will respond later
Old 06-09-19, 06:11 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I'm no expert (as I often prove), but putting a new chain on old gears can cause slippage.

They say that gears and chains wear together. I had put new chains on my bike a dozen times over the years without any problems...
until last year. I broke a chain on my 1984 Nishiki International and put a new chain on and encountered major slippage. I used this as an excuse to get a new gear-set with lower gearing (that my 56-year-old knees had been begging for). New chain + new gears = smooth shifting.

The gears were only $24 with a $10 install charge by the bike shop.

And if the gears are worn enough to not work with a new chain, they are worn and should be replaced.

Again, I don't know for sure in your case, but this was my experience.
I'm pushing 70 and my knees and legs are giving out. I maybe looking for a tricycle soon with training wheels.
Old 06-10-19, 06:27 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
I bought and installed those liners, but I have not ridden since my last post for safety reasons.

Things have rapidly changed around here and it’s just too dangerous to ride a bike around here. We’ve had an explosion of very bad people moving here from LA committing crimes. There has been robberies and murders almost every week and last week there were 3 unrelated incidents about the same time within a few miles of each other. There have been numerous assaults by young black males and females almost every day. It is a race war although nobody will admit to it and I’m a prime target since I’m a senior white male. Our own Mayor has advised everyone to buy a gun to protect ourselves from the mass of homeless drug addicts moving here from LA.

Anyway, I bought a ranch in AZ away from all this crap and have been busy going back and forth from AZ trying to fix up the CA house for sale and also working on the ranch trying to make it mine. Once I’m completely out of CA, I plan on riding again. I will still need flat free tires because there is a mile long dirt road from the paved road to my house and nobody except a few coyotes that might give me trouble.
I hadn't seen this racist screed when I responded to the question. If I had I would have not responded. I am deleting my response.

It looks like the offensive entry has been deleted. Just a reminder, it is people's behavior that makes them criminals, not their ethnicity. It's a truth I wish both "conservatives" and "progressives" would follow.

Last edited by BobbyG; 06-10-19 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-10-19, 06:56 AM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I hadn't seen this racist screed when I responded to the question. If I had I would have not responded. I am deleting my response.
You should probably delete this response as well. Beats me why anyone would want to start up a thread this old anyway or why I even bothered to respond. I wish this whole thread would disappear. A simple question turned into me defending myself about my choice in bikes.
Old 06-10-19, 10:33 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
but it was free.

First off is my turning which is rough.

And secondly is my shifting. Each time it catches up, the gear sounds like its slamming.
So this is a free bike. How well do you think it has been cared for? My answers are based on a guess that it hasn't been very well maintained.

How easily does the handlebar turn from side to side? Two tests: 1. If you hold the bike up on it's wheels and tip the bike from side-to-side, the handlebar should turn on it's own. If it doesn't, the headset is too tight. That will make the bike steer wonky.
2. If you pull the front brake lever and rock the bike front-to-back, you shouldn't feel anything. If you can feel a tiny little "tick" your headset is too loose. Adjusting your headset bearing preload to meet both of those tests might solve your problem.

You say the bike freewheels too much. Try this:
1. Take the back wheel off of the bike and set it over a trash can sprockets facing up. 2. Spin the sprockets with your finger. Less resistance is better. If you can feel a little bit of drag, notice what turns when you spin the sprockets and what stays still. Spray some good old WD40 into that crack. Give it a little time to soak in and try spinning the sprockets with your finger again. When it spins freely, you've fixed it.
Old 06-10-19, 10:49 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Whew ... 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. There was never anything seriously wrong with the bike. I can't believe no one observed that any bike pedaled by an unskilled rider in a gear that is too low will feel to the rider exactly like what the o.p. described. IF the o.p.'s issue could have been diagnosed quickly they might have been able to slip quietly back into obscurity before the world learned that they were ... ... before we learned as much as we learned.
Old 06-10-19, 12:54 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Whew ... 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. There was never anything seriously wrong with the bike. I can't believe no one observed that any bike pedaled by an unskilled rider in a gear that is too low will feel to the rider exactly like what the o.p. described. IF the o.p.'s issue could have been diagnosed quickly they might have been able to slip quietly back into obscurity before the world learned that they were ... ... before we learned as much as we learned.
I'm completely unconcerned by "what we learned." Rather, I've enjoyed reading the entire thread (again) to learn how it worked out for the OP.

The idea that knowledge limited solely to the sport or equipment can be utterly divorced from personal or cultural considerations is a false assumption.

Thanks @JohnnyB65 for the update. Sorry to read that so many things have changed for you since the thread began.

For my part, the Wally World MTB is still my most comfortable bike. Whatever you ride, if it's comfortable and it works so you get the benefit of riding, good on ya.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Likes For BookFinder:
Old 06-10-19, 12:59 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
So this is a free bike. How well do you think it has been cared for? My answers are based on a guess that it hasn't been very well maintained.

How easily does the handlebar turn from side to side? Two tests: 1. If you hold the bike up on it's wheels and tip the bike from side-to-side, the handlebar should turn on it's own. If it doesn't, the headset is too tight. That will make the bike steer wonky.
2. If you pull the front brake lever and rock the bike front-to-back, you shouldn't feel anything. If you can feel a tiny little "tick" your headset is too loose. Adjusting your headset bearing preload to meet both of those tests might solve your problem.

You say the bike freewheels too much. Try this:
1. Take the back wheel off of the bike and set it over a trash can sprockets facing up. 2. Spin the sprockets with your finger. Less resistance is better. If you can feel a little bit of drag, notice what turns when you spin the sprockets and what stays still. Spray some good old WD40 into that crack. Give it a little time to soak in and try spinning the sprockets with your finger again. When it spins freely, you've fixed it.
Thanks, this exactly the information I was looking for in the beginning