Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Clipless pedals

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Clipless pedals

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 05:19 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Clipless pedals

Have any of you started using clipless in pedals late in life? I was considering Shimano PD-M324 SPD Dual Platform Pedal. As a young man buying a mountain bike, the sales man talked me out of clipless and into a half clips, and I have used them since then. At age 51 is it too late to teach a old dog new tricks? I only commute 5 miles a day, but would like to do do some bike over-nighter's and maybe touring someday. Also do any of you use clippless on technical trails, or should I stick to sneakers? Thanks in advance for all your answers.
Old 01-22-18, 06:10 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
I used toeclips (with straps) most of my life, then changed to clipless around 50.

The conversion was quick and easy, and I haven't wished to go back (although I've ridden toe clips once or twice since then).

Almost all on the road, with a little on gravel.

I have had a couple of issues with the clipless, generally with respect to losing traction on my driveway, and have learned to bail as soon as I lose all forward momentum.
Old 01-22-18, 08:31 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Went clipless when I wad 53 after using toeclips and straps since I was 14, I tried going back on my vintage Fuji.....Hated it.
Old 01-22-18, 08:45 AM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 66 and even use clipless on rollers - Main thing IMO is to learn how to adjust tension on the clamp mech then practice getting in and out. I keep my tension pretty low. Also, don't be afraid to try different shoe cleat positions till it feels right. May help to lower the seat while practicing. Shoud take about 1/2 hour to get the hang of it. I like the SPD style clips because you can then use either race style shoe or touring shoe. Either type will allow you to walk around normally instead of the "duck walk" required with full on race/road cleats.

Another possibility - there are pedals that have flats ( for regular shoes ) on one side and SPD on the other - I like those on mountain bike where sometimes I wand to take a spin without changing shoes.
Old 01-22-18, 09:02 AM
Spectre734

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sport Disc, 2018 Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 83cannondale
I'm 66 and even use clipless on rollers - Main thing IMO is to learn how to adjust tension on the clamp mech then practice getting in and out. I keep my tension pretty low. Also, don't be afraid to try different shoe cleat positions till it feels right. May help to lower the seat while practicing. Shoud take about 1/2 hour to get the hang of it. I like the SPD style clips because you can then use either race style shoe or touring shoe. Either type will allow you to walk around normally instead of the "duck walk" required with full on race/road cleats.

Another possibility - there are pedals that have flats ( for regular shoes ) on one side and SPD on the other - I like those on mountain bike where sometimes I wand to take a spin without changing shoes.
Hi. I am just getting into riding a road bike. Any recommendation on what type of rollers to get?
Old 01-22-18, 09:51 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Most people, once they try clipless pedals, never want to go back. You get used to them pretty quick and I can honestly say I've only fallen over once in over 10 years of using them. You just need to get used to pushing your heels out to unclip. I think you'll also find that the stiff soles of cycling shoes are waaaay better than sneakers.

If you were going to start on clipless pedals I would advise SPD's and picking up a pair of the Forte Campus pedals (https://www.performancebike.com/bike...551_1033468_-1) as they are inexpensive, durable, and let you ride with either cleats or with sneakers.

You should have no problem finding someone in your area who can help you get all set up with them.
Old 01-22-18, 10:07 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by baldilocks
Have any of you started using clipless in pedals late in life? I was considering Shimano PD-M324 SPD Dual Platform Pedal. As a young man buying a mountain bike, the sales man talked me out of clipless and into a half clips, and I have used them since then. At age 51 is it too late to teach a old dog new tricks? I only commute 5 miles a day, but would like to do do some bike over-nighter's and maybe touring someday. Also do any of you use clippless on technical trails, or should I stick to sneakers? Thanks in advance for all your answers.
IMO, the M324 is the perfect pedal for transitioning to SPD. I have a pair that is currently on my wife's vintage road bike. Previously, it was on my hybrid, then on my road bike. It comes with the silver cleats, which are easier for beginners to use. (easier clipping in and out than the black cleats, though both are SPD cleats) And the flat side is nice and grippy for when you need to use flat pedals and if you somehow don't clip in cleanly, you can ride it a few rotations while you flip the pedal over to the SPD side.

Wellgo, Performance, and Nashbar sell a knockoff of the M324 that will also work. I have a couple of the Wellgo M324 knockoffs. They work well, but are not as nicely finished as the Shimano.
Old 01-22-18, 10:12 AM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not to hijack the thread - I use krietler, looking at elite smart rollers for resistance, zwift compatibility
Old 01-22-18, 10:15 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Going clipless is really a matter of taste. Except for pros, the studies show almost no actual mechanical advantage. But some people just like the feel of being clipped in.

However, there’s a big difference between being clipped in while road riding, which is fairly benign, and being clipped in while (seriously) mountain biking, where things can very quickly go serious wrong. I have known a few mountain bikers, mostly in the expert class, who successfully use clipless. Yet even most of those are returning to platforms.
Old 01-22-18, 10:21 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Have any of you started using clipless in pedals late in life?
At just about 57 years old, and having been riding road bikes since my early 20s...I still say that the switch from toeclips to clipless in my late 20s is probably the most notable comfort change I've ever experience on the bike. The clip strap schinched tight would eventually make my toes numb on long rides. BUT, that was for rides much longer than your commute. Nevertheless...you still would likely find clipless more comfortable (once you get accustomed to them).

Dan
Old 01-22-18, 10:39 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Once you go clipless, you'll never go back.
For a first pair, go with SPD type, you'll have shoe that you can walk in(and more comfortable standing in line at the ice cream place.) Spend the time to find shoes that are comfortable and fit your feet, I can not stress the enough!. Try as many brands as you can.
When you put the on, practice clipping in and out. Make sure you can unclip BOTH feet with equal skill, it will make emergency stops easier and more confidant.
Find a nice grassy, soft lawn, ride on to it, stop, fall over. Not that you got that out of the way, you know what it's like, and what to expect, it's really no big deal.
When you first start set the release tension to the minimum. In crease it later if you need or want to.(I have pedals I've never touched after this).
Good luck and good riding.
Old 01-22-18, 10:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Opposite..I took them off, I modified my shoes* , and used a toeclip and strap pedal on the tour I took to the various British isles.

* opting for a recessed full width hourglass (for float) shaped slot.. on a loose fitting shoe..
Old 01-22-18, 10:49 AM
teebox

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR 40, 2017 Felt Versa Speed and 2017 Cannondale Adventure 2

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clipped in for the first time in my life at the age of 56. I use MTB shoes from Pear Izumi as I have flat, wide feet and the Shimano SPD two hole cleat. I use PD-A520 SPD ALUMINUM PEDAL SPD Road Touring Pedals on my Felt VR40 road bike and I use the A530 SPD Aluminum Pedal on my Felt Versa Speed 40. The road bike is pure clip and the A530 is a hybrid. You have a flat on one side and clip on the other. I started with the hybrid so I could learn to clip in (which took me about 15 minutes) and I like the flat for when I am riding in the neighborhood or around town and do want to have to clip in an out.

You can do it and yes, you will fall at least once, I did. A car pulled out in front of me, I locked up the brakes but could not get unclipped in time and went over. Better than hitting the car....

If you can, try the hybrids first, that way you can ride with or without the clip shoe. I think once you try it and get over the initial fear, you will be just fine and will be able to clip like everyone else.
Old 01-22-18, 12:20 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Went clipless at 60

Starting my 4th year of riding,
2-1/2 years using SPD, Shimano A530 pedals
I "Dead Turtled" a few times at first. Do like they say, ride in a grass
yard to get unclipping "Brain engrained"
It's a "Self teacher" thing.
I Dead Turtle rarely now
Old 01-22-18, 12:24 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 708 Posts
Have any of you started using clipless in pedals late in life?
I started using clipless pedals when I was 45.
It took me 10 years to get completely comfortable with toe clips & straps (aka, cages). It only took me two weeks to get completely comfortable with clipless pedals. Never going back.

So clearly it's not too late to teach an old dog new tricks...but it might be a good idea to get Old Dog-friendly clipless pedals. I started on Speedplay Frogs, and a dozen years later I'm still using them on all of my bikes.
Old 01-22-18, 01:41 PM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
My wife and I both started clipless in our early 60s using the 324s. I like having the flat side because we are in the city with a fair amount of stop and go and tight riding lanes before we get to open road or trails.
Old 01-22-18, 02:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
There's really only one trick: When you want to release your foot, rotate your heel out.
Old 01-22-18, 02:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Went clipless when I wad 53 after using toeclips and straps since I was 14, I tried going back on my vintage Fuji.....Hated it.
It sounds just about like me, although I had toe clips on the old green 5-speed which I inherited at about age 9 or 10.

Clipless (SPD) have gone on all my bikes. I just keep an eye out for cheap pedals whenever they pop up. I suppose I could put the toe clips back on the old Colnago (that I've had since I was about 16), but I like the clipless, and don't care if the bike has "evolved" over the years.
Old 01-22-18, 03:10 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Originally Posted by TruthBomb
My experience with clipless is quite different than the fear mongering above.

Over the last 27+ years using MTB clipless I’ve known and ridden with hundreds of folks who successfully used clipless - and continue to. I’ve also known and ridden with hundreds of folks who ride flats or switch back and forth between them and clipless.

Given the OP’s use case, and assuming only a very minimal degree of coordination, he should have no issues using clipless pedals despite being “late in life.”
Yeah, I’m sure it depends on the trails you ride. Around here I stand by my post. I’m not even close to ‘fear mongering’ though I can go there. I’ve known a number of people in the local area that have broken bones (including their back) thanks to bravely using clipless pedals. And this is a destination mountain bike town.

And Mr Truth Bomb (does that mean you seek out and destroy the truth?), im not sure why your opinion is ‘truth’ and you feel the need to call mine ‘fear mongering’. Presumably we are each offering an opinion to the OP based on our life experience. You don’t know mine; I don’t know yours. I’ve just about had it with the attitude on this forum.

Last edited by Mountain Mitch; 01-22-18 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 03:36 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
When I was a bike commuter I rode with Eggbeaters. Very easy to get into and out of.
I'm not 73 and have used Speedplay Ultralight Action pedals on my road bikes since 2012. Also VERY easy to get into and out of.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-22-18, 04:39 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
I'm pushing 61yr and just switched to SPDs a couple of months ago for the first time. Love them and now asking myself what took me so long to switch? :-)

Anyway, to be on the cautious side I am using the Shimano SH-56 multi-release cleats. I think it did save me a few times when I almost forgot to unclip. Haven't fallen over yet (knock on wood)...
Old 01-22-18, 05:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Mountain Mitch .... there are a few posters (I am one of them) that just seem to have pugnacious/contrarian attitudes.

I don't know the best way to deal with others ... in my case, just assume I am failing to make a bad joke (often i am) or I am so engrossed in mental feces that i don't know what I am saying--in which case I am deserving of pity (and medication,) not of censure..

There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here, and a lot of amazing people. There are also (as everywhere) people who cannot rest until everyone repeats their points and agrees and bow down before their wisdom ... and often they are wrong, which only frustrates everyone.

Clipless? Yeah, everyone has a different learning curve. My big problem is I want to stay clipped in and save it, and by the time my balance is that precarious, just the momentum of unclipping can almost knock me over. it's been a while since i felll .... but again, no fall is without risk. I am a large load and even falling just a few feet that is a lot of force, often hitting on a small area (like the point of a hip---ouch.)

Still, I feel that most people coordinated to ride a bike and not die, can master clipless pedals.

Also ... I have fallen using rat-traps .... in front of a cop once. My shoe hung up and down i went ... int he middle of traffic but thankfully stopped at a traffic light.

To this day I cannot come up with a valid reason not to ride flats ... but somehow I prefer clipless. I bet dodos had chains of reasoning like that .... for a while .....
Old 01-22-18, 05:37 PM
Mountain Mitch

Originally Posted by TruthBomb
I prefer technical trails. The more primitive the better. Steep is great. Exposure makes them even more interesting.

Where is "around here"?

p.s. It's not "brave" to use clipless pedals any more than it is "brave" to ride a bike. That's more fear mongering characterization right.

Please pay attention. It's not just my life experience it's also the life experience of the hundreds of riders that I've ridden with all over the US, Canada, Scandinavia, Mexico, etc. that use clipless while "seriously"(as you put it) mountain biking.

You're making something that is quite mundane out to be something that's incredibly dangerous and that's simply not helpful.

Some people can't handle the truth (ht to Colonel Jessup)
Hit a nerve did I? I agree SOME PEOPLE can’t handle the truth!
“Here” is in the mountains where I live and ride - and have done for many decades.
Your ranting is really quite unconvincing. Smacks of a wannabe hero rider. We should all bow to your obviously superior opinions ha-ha!
Either respect others right to their opinions based on THEIR experience (oh yeah, I’ve ridden with other people too - and even in other places - wow) - which you clearly know nothing about - or shut up and get off the forums. I’m sure the level of truthful civilized discussion would be raised.

It is perfectly sensible to warn a newbie over 50 of the additional risks of clipless pedals while mountain biking. There will be no mechanical advantage to him. He should weigh the risks.
Old 01-22-18, 05:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
51 isn't old. 80 is old.

Yes you can learn a new trick, don't bother with the single sided, one sided defeats one major advantage to the SPD mt. bike style pedals which is the easy clip in on either side. Stomp your foot down and click, you're in.

Typical advice is to back the release spring tension all the way out, then ride around on the grass for an hour, clipping in and out till you get the hang of it. Also get used to using both feet to engage, as sometimes you need to get the left foot out in a hurry (most people only use the right). After you feel comfortable on a few rides in traffic and at stop lights and signs, then add some tension so you don't accidentally release when you don't want to (standing on a hill).
Old 01-22-18, 05:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
it seems that when Jack Nicholson shouted out "You can't handle the truth ... " some people didn't catch on that that was the ranting of a complete lunatic who had ordered U.S. soldiers to murder another U.S. soldier for a belief system which existed only in his lunatic mind.

So when someone quotes that Approvingly, and identifies with it ..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.