Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which bike type is ideal for occasional riding within a hilly city like San Francisco

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Which bike type is ideal for occasional riding within a hilly city like San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-18, 02:54 AM
umangmathur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going to occasionally ride the bike on weekends within a 5 mile radius from my home. Or maybe cycle across the Golden Gate bridge once in 3 months.
I've never ridden a geared bicycle before (I last rode a bicycle when I was in high school 8 years ago). However, on moving to SF, I've realized that the terrain is hilly and a geared bicycle is a necessity. If so, what are the things to keep in mind while buying a geared bicycle ?
Moreover, I'm a bit confused by biking terminologies such as 'Mountain Bike' , 'Road Bike' , 'Hybrid' ,etc. Is a mountain bike easier to ride up an incline or is it just a bike type that's more rugged with wider tyres and better grip for offroad biking ? Which type of bike should I buy ?

Btw, I'm 5'10", ~160lbs

Moreover, since I'm not a serious biking enthusiast, I'm planning to keep costs low and am looking for something around 150$ (I'm a student). If I feel like I enjoy riding this bike, perhaps I'll move on to a better bike in a few months. Don't want to put in too much money into an activity I'm not sure about pursuing seriously.

Can anybody here give me pointers on how to go about this ? Or maybe even actual suggestions on the exact bike model to buy ?
Old 06-01-18, 05:53 AM
jwh20

Bikes: Felt Z5, Look 675 Light, Specialized Diverge

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well the "cool" thing in places like SF is the "fixie" or fixed-speed/single-speed bike. But cool is not always practical, so if you don't have a deep yearning to be "in", I think a hybrid or an unsuspended MTB will be your best bet. Both offer a wide range of gearing to get you up the steep hills and are more comfortable for the casual rider than a road bike with drop bars might be. But if you want the drop bar style of bike, today's crop of cyclocross or gravel bikes offer that plus a usually wider gear ratio that your typical road bike.
Old 06-01-18, 07:12 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Consider a folding bike for multi-modal travel - you'll have relatively unrestricted access to the good public transportation network (like Muni trains and buses, rush hours on the BART, passenger only ferries, taxis/Uber, etc.), and the bike is easier to store/take inside (eg, rainy season/theft concerns). Make a cheap nylon cover for it, and turn a bike into 'luggage.' You could use Muni public transport for an uphill section and then ride a long gradual downhill; shoot out to different part of town to explore, or BART out to the burbs where I've seen very scenic MUPs. $150 is not a lot of money, but doable in the used market.
Old 06-01-18, 07:44 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
At your height..you'll probably be in the 55-56cm frame in a road bike(with a triple crank or a two chainring crank with gearing for hills) or 18ish inch in a mountain bike.

Either would work. For a first bike that can go & do most anything..I'd look for a hardtail mountain bike with or without front suspension(with lockout). Lots of them around for low money and the gearing is right for SF. Put some street-ish tires on it and go..anywhere. If you want to carry stuff..it'll have brazeons for a rear rack.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...601649133.html

size??
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...604328958.html

size??
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...604294287.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...583153989.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...603321565.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...591932577.html

could be quite nice:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...581047878.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...601559045.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...600072865.html

This frame is too small for you, but there's a lot of Centurions around..very good road bike for small money
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...581037370.html

Last edited by fishboat; 06-01-18 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-01-18, 07:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Mid Drive Electric..

in the 8os I barely lived in SFO, you must be pulling down big bucks, to survive there now .. write software code?

Worked in a bike shop .. Cal Trans ran a van & trailer for bike rider commuters in the east bay across the bridge..

get a Road bike a folding bike a hybrid, (fixie?) its up to you ..

you can go around the hills, and get across SF.
Of course after 100+ years, that is also the main traffic streets ..

BTW, Fisherman's Wharf Docked Ferry serves Vallejo, and just 12 miles north,
is the Napa County Wine Country.

Old 06-01-18, 08:03 AM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I'd look for a used hybrid/ fitness bike with a triple front chainring. I'd you don't ride hills frequently, the third chainring will be a blessing. I'd think you could find a decent used lower end trek fx for 150, or somewhat close to it.
Old 06-01-18, 08:11 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by umangmathur
I'm going to occasionally ride the bike on weekends within a 5 mile radius from my home. Or maybe cycle across the Golden Gate bridge once in 3 months.
I've never ridden a geared bicycle before (I last rode a bicycle when I was in high school 8 years ago). However, on moving to SF, I've realized that the terrain is hilly and a geared bicycle is a necessity. If so, what are the things to keep in mind while buying a geared bicycle ?
Moreover, I'm a bit confused by biking terminologies such as 'Mountain Bike' , 'Road Bike' , 'Hybrid' ,etc. Is a mountain bike easier to ride up an incline or is it just a bike type that's more rugged with wider tyres and better grip for offroad biking ? Which type of bike should I buy ?

Btw, I'm 5'10", ~160lbs

Moreover, since I'm not a serious biking enthusiast, I'm planning to keep costs low and am looking for something around 150$ (I'm a student). If I feel like I enjoy riding this bike, perhaps I'll move on to a better bike in a few months. Don't want to put in too much money into an activity I'm not sure about pursuing seriously.

Can anybody here give me pointers on how to go about this ? Or maybe even actual suggestions on the exact bike model to buy ?
for $150, you pretty much have to go used, since any quality new bike will go for $400 and more.

At 5'10", you should be fit a common size, maybe 19 to 20" mountain bike or hybrid, M/L to L, or 55 or 56 cm road bike. A lot depends on you proportions, like whether your height is in your legs or your torso, so make sure you test ride for fit.

If if I were looking for a used city bike, I would look for low gears, triple chainrings, 7 to 9 speed cassette. It should have braze onsto fit a rack, and clearance for fenders. Frame material could be cro moly steel or aluminum. I would suggest a used hybrid from the 90s to a current model. Brands to look for? Lots of choices. Trek, Bianchi, giant, Kona, Specialized, Marin, Raleigh, Jamis, Fuji, Surly are some can't miss choices. Other brands like Schwinn, Diamondback, and Mongoose were good brands, but some models are cheap, department store bikes to be avoided. But if you can tell the difference, worth getting these bikes. This is not an exhaustive list. There are other small brands well worth considering.

Also, pay attention to condition. A $250 used bike fully restored and ready to ride is a better value than a $150 bike in rough shape.
Old 06-01-18, 08:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
$150? in SFO, you may be buying someone's stolen bike, at that price..
Everything is Very Expensive, there, Now.
Old 06-02-18, 10:44 AM
Bill Gem

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are several bike tour companies in San Francisco. They’ve outfitted a lot of people with bikes and have gotten lots of feedback on the results of their choices. They’ve also had to make decisions about what bikes to invest their money in.

It might be interesting to have a conversation with one or more of the tour companies. While you’re at it, you could rent a bike for an hour to see if you like it. Wheel Fun Rentals is one such company I used when I was in town. They had a range of different bikes available for rent. A similar conversation with a local bike shop that also rents bikes might be similarly productive. Who knows, but you might find that any of them sell off their rentals for a good price after a certain amount of use.
Old 06-02-18, 10:58 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
For occasional riding, I think you may have to go around hills or use an assist from a motor.
Old 06-02-18, 11:25 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
-You'll want a triple chainring (3 front gears) to get low climbing gears
-Probably want a hybrid (a "normal" bike to non bike people)
-Lighter is better for climbing so I would seriously consider upping the budget to $400-$500 (why spend money twice to get something better later?) and get a proper bike shop bike which will be 20-25 lbs

A base specialized Sirrus or Trex FX would be a great choice.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239681-129091

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey
Old 06-02-18, 11:40 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Oh... asking a general "which is best" question here? You'll get a thousand opinions.

Many of the road bikes are much lighter than most MTBs, so a lot less bike to lug up the mountains. Of course, there are some really nice, really expensive MTBs that are lighter.

Of course, you get what you pay for. It is tough to find a quality road bike for < $150, unless you get really lucky (which happens with patience if you know what you're looking for and have some patience, and are quick to snap up the best deals, no posting on the internet for an opinion).

This Cannondale caught my eye. A few years old, and a little more expensive, but it would be a reasonably nice bike, assuming all the mixed parts work well together (shifts smoothly & etc).

CANNONDALE Road bike - $300 (haight ashbury

At 58cm, it will be slightly tall, but not too bad.
Old 06-02-18, 01:51 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
-You'll want a triple chainring (3 front gears) to get low climbing gears
-Probably want a hybrid (a "normal" bike to non bike people)
-Lighter is better for climbing so I would seriously consider upping the budget to $400-$500 (why spend money twice to get something better later?) and get a proper bike shop bike which will be 20-25 lbs

A base specialized Sirrus or Trex FX would be a great choice.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239681-129091

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey
Don't disagree with the recs, but those bikes are around 26 lbs. To get a 20 lb bike, you need to spend way more than $500.
Old 06-02-18, 02:06 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by MRT2
Don't disagree with the recs, but those bikes are around 26 lbs. To get a 20 lb bike, you need to spend way more than $500.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Cannondale I posted tips the scale around 21 pounds or so.

Personally, I like the drop bars, but I grew up with them. There are quite a few flat bar fans out there.

I don't know how much difference weight makes. I ride bikes from about 17 pounds to 25 pounds... more or less. I enjoy them all, and can climb hills on any of them, but I tend to choose the lighter bike for the hillier days or longer rides... if possible.

I suppose there might be arguments about not going overboard with the bike purchase.

At the same time, riding will be less enjoyable if one is riding a beastly heavy bike poorly suited for the road. And thus it could taint one's view.

Again, I see hundreds of different bike styles around town, and many different riders.

BikeShare bikes are even an option for occasional riding around downtown, or on the bike paths.
Old 06-02-18, 02:18 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
SF is the perfect place for SS/fixed, and that's what I rode when I lived in the Bay Area and took Bart into the City. Most of the City is flat (or flat enough), and the "real people" don't go to the really hilly areas that often. And when you do need to go to the Mark Hopkins for your black tie event, you can simply use their very adequate public transportation system (something like 80% of all SF addresses are within 2 blocks of public transportation).
Disagree extremely. A SS bike in SF would be very limiting to all but a small percentage of people.
Old 06-02-18, 11:23 PM
Karman321

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should build your own bike. I built mine for 900 and it weighs 13.5lbs... I built my sisters for $400 and it weighs 19lbs both are carbon fiber
Old 06-03-18, 12:35 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
People that don’t plan on seriously pursuing something usually don’t take the the time to register and post on a specific forum.
Not a criticism. Just a heads up that maybe you are a tad bit more serious than you believe which means that you may want to spend more than the cost of a concert ticket or snifter of Louis XIII on a bicycle.
Old 06-03-18, 06:02 AM
Big Pond

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SF has a big fixed gear scene. A geared bike is by no means a necessity unless you you live in the steepest areas of the sunset, for example. I did, and some spots are steep enough you have to walk even with gears. In fact, fixed or ss is an advantage in some spots as you don’t have to worry about chain slip on a climb, but that’s just imo. I’m not advocating for riding fixed, merely suggesting that it is quite common.

Ultimately, the best choice will come down to where you live, how you will ride, budget and theft tolerance. Get there, find a place and then check out CL, or any other very many bike shops. There’s no need to buy something in advance. The market is so active that you will have no issue buying a decent bike the same day you start to look.
Old 06-03-18, 09:48 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've never lived in SF, but have read on other forums that you should find out how hilly your area actually is. Someone wrote that the most hilly areas are the ones where nobody goes. As for single speed, if you're just using it to go a few miles, and there's enough traffic that you can't really stretch out anyway, then a single speed with a relatively low gear ratio might fit the bill.
Old 06-03-18, 12:15 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Oh... asking a general "which is best" question here? You'll get a thousand opinions.

Many of the road bikes are much lighter than most MTBs, so a lot less bike to lug up the mountains. Of course, there are some really nice, really expensive MTBs that are lighter.

Of course, you get what you pay for. It is tough to find a quality road bike for < $150, unless you get really lucky (which happens with patience if you know what you're looking for and have some patience, and are quick to snap up the best deals, no posting on the internet for an opinion).

This Cannondale caught my eye. A few years old, and a little more expensive, but it would be a reasonably nice bike, assuming all the mixed parts work well together (shifts smoothly & etc).

CANNONDALE Road bike - $300 (haight ashbury

At 58cm, it will be slightly tall, but not too bad.
Swap out the rear cogs for something with a 32t large cog (or bigger) and switch to a long cage derailleur to accommodate the broad range in your new rear cassette, and that one could do the trick.

Note: There's no such thing as "a little too tall but ok". Don't buy a bike you can't stand over, though.
Old 06-03-18, 02:00 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by daoswald
Swap out the rear cogs for something with a 32t large cog (or bigger) and switch to a long cage derailleur to accommodate the broad range in your new rear cassette, and that one could do the trick.
That may not be necessary. The bike does have a triple front, and probably something like a 26T rear which should be low enough to get up most hills.

Anyway, no reason not to try it (or a similar bike) as built, then make the upgrades when it is time for the next chain and cassette (assuming they aren't all worn out now).
Old 06-03-18, 02:01 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Suppose you could be right...I just weighed my Sirrus Elite (~$800) and bone stock with the nicer E5 aluminum frame and 30mm tires it weighs 22.7 lbs naked. Note my frame size is also S. So probably pretty reasonable to expect 26ish lbs on the base models, especially if in a larger size.